"Can only be used once for appearance remodeling"

Morrigan-KT

I've been playing MMO's for well over a decade now. Each one has had its charms, as well as its annoyances. I've been playing NA Aion since CB 1 back in '09, and this game is obviously no exception. For all the good that's come along over the years, (graphical updates, "fast track", the addition of mounts, housing), there's been the horrendous, (RNG based enchanting gone wild, exploding gear, even more godstones, dont see this BCM minion contract stuff turning out well...and of course...ONE TIME SKINS!) Yeah yeah, I know..."not that serious an issue"...well its no less absolutely annoying!

Lets face it, most people that play Aion, especially nowadays, do so for purely aesthetic reasons. In every, MMO looks are important to most users. But particularly in this one with its robust character creation engine and emphasis on aesthetics, (hyper-sexualized or otherwise.) So of course it goes without saying that taking time to find just the right look for your toon becomes a priority. Which is why IMO, the whole "can only be used once for skinning" plague that hit this game sometime in 2011 or 2012 I believe, and has since spread like wildfire to actual in game gear is utter garbage! Never, EVER, have I played an MMO wherein skinning your character became such a source of frustration. Heck, even NCSofts own "Blade and Soul", with its clearly nickle and dime scam-ish "Outfit delivery stamps" system,  would be clearly superior to this douchey, "...wow, spend real life cash on a digital item you can only use once...", malarkey!

Imagine if you went to a RL store and bought a $1000 suit/dress/whatever that you could only use once. What would be the point of that?!?! Oh right, to make the store owner money. Well then don't be surprised if/when your customers take their business elsewhere.

I know theres nothing NCWest can do about it and its clear that for whatever reason Korean players seem to have accepted this garbage idea, so unfortunately its here to stay. But personally, I believe that you can directly attribute the sharp decline in players in this region to the instant that, "Can only be used once for skinning", began to rear its ugly head. Well that, and excessive RNG, hacks, bots, godstones, hacks, lag...and more lag...more hacks...

Okay rant over. I feel better now.

16 minutes ago, Bryos-KT said:

If its a skin I like, I have NEVER skinned them over, so I just wear them as much as I want. :P

Which would be otherwise great, except, statless gear. Which sort of defeats the purpose of playing a game, especially an mmo. But sure, it's all one can do to keep a good costume. I find myself forced to do the same actually, (which just makes it all the more painful.)

Unfortunately I go into games with the pre-intention to, you know, have fun playing an actual game, (novel idea I know.) NOT costume nyerk or sit/stand idle in front of the broker in sanctum or panda with "view detail" off in hopes people don't notice that my character is basically half naked. (Of course keeping "decline duel" off as well.) Naturally if one were to go into battle wearing a statless piece of armor, well you know what'd happen. It's all about pwning something or someone while looking good doing it. It's what MMO's are, basically. 

I see no point in paying $10 to $20 bucks on a statless piece of costume armor I can only skin once. Guess I'm just "old fashioned".

Well, the deal with me is that I have reached that point in which I wear a set (with a skin) for quite some time. Therefore, by the time I change gear, I will be looking for a whole new skin.

I still keep my old ones I like. For instance, my mythic AC set with the TS plate set is still sitting in my inventory and wear it from time to time. Once I fully upgrade from my Apollon set, I will keep it with my Sea Feast skin and wear it from time to time as well. My Harvester set will either keep its original style or have my Blue Bunny set skinned over.

Aren't most costumes for skinning now able to be registered in the Luna wardrobe anyway? I mean, you do have to buy Luna to open slots and reapply skins, but at least you can reuse the skins. I know I added a few costumes that said "can only be used once" to my Luna wardrobe.

7 minutes ago, Suldra-KT said:

Aren't most costumes for skinning now able to be registered in the Luna wardrobe anyway? I mean, you do have to buy Luna to open slots and reapply skins, but at least you can reuse the skins. I know I added a few costumes that said "can only be used once" to my Luna wardrobe.

Pretty much what Bryos said, I'm not a fan of that wardrobe either. Don't feel the need to spend even more RL cash on top of the RL cash I already spent on the bloody costume, just for the "privilege" of being able to use it more than once.

4 hours ago, Zelgadis-KT said:

Imagine if you went to a RL store and bought a $1000 suit/dress/whatever that you could only use once. What would be the point of that?!?! Oh right, to make the store owner money. Well then don't be surprised if/when your customers take their business elsewhere.

Isn't that wedding dresses in general?

In whole honesty tho, skins cost $8 each and most of skins is in Luna crafts now anyway, so I believe it's not too tragic now. Sure, it's annoying, but I believe that attributing decline in players to "can be used only once for appearance remodeling" is quite an exaggeration lol

Thats why real skinwhores like me, who can't always use the Luna wardrobe (I never used it actually), choose their remodels wisely, keep the old gear with rare costumes, and when possible, get extra costumes. (My only problem right now is with space lol. All my cabinets, some pets and even a few alts are full of skins :B)
It sucks that most skins are 1-time only but you can deal with it in a way that doesn't feel frustrating.

Tbh, thats the bright side of playing cleric. More armor sets means more skins \o/

3 hours ago, Ursa-KT said:

Isn't that wedding dresses in general?

In whole honesty tho, skins cost $8 each and most of skins is in Luna crafts now anyway, so I believe it's not too tragic now. Sure, it's annoying, but I believe that attributing decline in players to "can be used only once for appearance remodeling" is quite an exaggeration lol

Its obviously an exaggeration. (Congrats on figuring that out btw.) That said, it's not too much of a stretch to say that its one of many, many ,many ,many, MANY annoying little things that have added up and driven the vast majority of NA players away. Not to mention has this game on the brink of collapse in this region. (Death by 1000 papercuts? But don't take my word on that, simply count the servers.) Especially considering no one else has bothered to sell one time use only costumes via RL cash shop. Guess its not that hot of an idea, huh?

Correction, one time only use (mediocre quality) costumes via RL cash shop. Had to be 100% specific since I'm certain theres a WK out there hiding in the bushes, waiting to parse this post in order to deflect and protect NC's honor.  Hence, enable/justify their shady practises. There is, after all, a reason they have and continue to get away with just about anything they pull on their non-native customers.

On the other hand, if they made multiple use skins the sales would drop quite badly I believe. And honestly I haven't really seen people being that bothered by the fact that skins aren't reusable. Sure, most of people wishes it would work like in BnS where you have no armor and can just jump around in your skins, but that's such a minor issue compared to lots of other stuff which actually were the 1 grain of salt too much.

Not to be rude/passive-aggressive, but the over-exaggeration isn't helping your agument. Sure, you have a valid point and it sucks having to pay for Lunas for wardrobe or parting with your skins, but it's hard to take it seriously when you pair it with "people quit cause skins".

4 hours ago, Ursa-KT said:

On the other hand, if they made multiple use skins the sales would drop quite badly I believe. And honestly I haven't really seen people being that bothered by the fact that skins aren't reusable. Sure, most of people wishes it would work like in BnS where you have no armor and can just jump around in your skins, but that's such a minor issue compared to lots of other stuff which actually were the 1 grain of salt too much.

Not to be rude/passive-aggressive, but the over-exaggeration isn't helping your agument. Sure, you have a valid point and it sucks having to pay for Lunas for wardrobe or parting with your skins, but it's hard to take it seriously when you pair it with "people quit cause skins".

"Well that, and excessive RNG, hacks, bots, godstones, hacks, lag...and more lag...more hacks..."

You must of missed that little part. You can stop attempting to "passive/aggressively" trivialize the topic, (whilst simultaneously belittling my reasoning), by insinuating that I was expressing a singular causality between this scam worthy sales approach and the mass exodus of players in this region. Its clear I wasnt.

Heres the entire paragraph in question:

"But personally, I believe that you can directly attribute the sharp decline in players in this region to the instant that, "Can only be used once for skinning", began to rear its ugly head. Well that, and excessive RNG, hacks, bots, godstones, hacks, lag...and more lag...more hacks..."

Seems I was aware that it was ONE of many other issues that, coincidentally or not, began at around the same time as that sales approach began. I never actually said, "People quit cause of skins ", you did. Or have been attempting to insinuate that I did. Or...whatdafuqever...

Anyways, my point was made. No further need for me to belabor this topic. Nor waste time arguing semantics.

Okay, then outside of me nitpicking at your points, since obviously we aren't getting anywhere with that, if the skins weren't useable only once for appearance remodeling, they'd probably end up with same price as those in BnS, so 1200 NCoins which is almost double the current price in Aion. Unless Aion introduced similar system as in BnS with trading in-game currency to the cash-shop currency, I doubt it'd work out well, people would probably be too upset over the doubled price.
And the reason why Korea is seemingly okay with skins being like this is because P2W and spending money in cash shop in general are pretty normalized there. Since NA is of lesser priority, we have to pretty much suck it up.

I don't mind the one-time skin thing too much, as someone previously said it makes Aion skins rather cheap (reminds me of the 25$ skins from BDO kek).

With aion's speedy gear treadmill it's not like you'll want to reskin your old gears that often, and you're not forced to throw out an armor with an old skin on it.
It's far from ideal but I really prefer not having to pay the price of a full game for a skin.

(Also I'm one of those people who really like new skins anyways, my old skins are in cabinets for nostalgia purposes but I rarely wear them)

I feel you. I haven't played that many MMO'S, but the few I did all had some sort of costume feature, which I still hope someday to see on Aion. I don't mind the skins being bound to the character, that's just fine, but a separate tab to use them without having to skin to the actual gear would be just wonderful. You guys are only talking about the common luna skins, but there are quite a few rare costume sets that you can't acquire anymore and I do own some myself, but haven't been able to use as I replace gear and won't want to have it stuck in some old useless set that I'm not using anymore.
Don't think it's that /much/ of a big deal related to gameplay itself, but it's a feature I'd love to see.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:51 AM, Bryos-KT said:

I am personally not that fond of the wardrobe. :P Maybe if there was a way to get Luna other than paying, I would consider using it.

They should include Luna bundles in the instance chests after you complete them 7x, and as event rewards. XC

On 27/11/2017 at 5:14 PM, Bryos-KT said:

They should at least make the Luna bundles from BCM tradeable. Though it is just the usual "BCM Untradeability" discussion. :P

Totally agree with that. 

So many players can not buy NCoins and they want some lunas sometimes to get some rare skin or mount on daily crafts. I think it could be a nice idea to make them tradeable. I would like to say "I do not know how they didn´t realise this", but I totally know why :P 

Archived