Playerbase (If It's Worth Coming Back)

66sE7A38-DN

13 minutes ago, Forgotten-DN said:

FFXIV is undoubtedly the safer choice.

This kind of talk tends to push people away. Don't come complaining the playerbase is getting smaller.

21 minutes ago, 66sE7A38-DN said:

As the title explains, just curious if it's worth coming back and playing Aion. Are there steady amount of players still active? Or should I just return to FFXIV?

Fast-track is mostly dead, since all the things are happening after lvl 66. Pretty sure future 6.0 patch will bring more people in.

27 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

This kind of talk tends to push people away. Don't come complaining the playerbase is getting smaller.

Well, I could tell OP to come back, but I'd have few reasons to give to substantiate that choice. Put yourself in OP's position. Would you want someone telling you to pick a stagnant game over one that's thriving? I know I wouldn't. Also, I'll do whatever I please, thank you.

12 hours ago, Forgotten-DN said:

Well, I could tell OP to come back, but I'd have few reasons to give to substantiate that choice. Put yourself in OP's position. Would you want someone telling you to pick a stagnant game over one that's thriving? I know I wouldn't. Also, I'll do whatever I please, thank you.

Well, I would, wanna know why? Because everyone should try the game and be a judge for themselves to see whether it’s worth it or not. Can’t judge a book by its cover. It’s not about picking, it’s about trying. 

56 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

Because everyone should try the game and be a judge for themselves to see whether it’s worth it or not. Can’t judge a book by its cover. It’s not about picking, it’s about trying. 

OP is asking about player base, and it IS about picking. OP laid out two choices, I gave the safer of the two.

You still want to know why?

Statistics for December 2017

Happy?

I’m not even going to bother to argue with you since you’ve already missed my point but I’ll add this. I gave OP my answer, most of the stuff is happening after level 66, thus it should be his choice to see whether it’s actually worth playing it. Maybe FF14 is a better game, but advertising other games is actually against TOS if I remember right.

If you’re so hateful towards Aion and the publisher, I’m surprised you’re still here wasting time playing/posting when in fact you could’ve done much better in exchange. I have personal reasons to enjoy this game because I’m able to look past the current flaws. Nonetheless, I will leave you with this because like I said, it’s just a waste. 

Have a nice day. 

Are there similar stats for Aion? I'm quite curious to know how many characters created/active there are, and the class distribution. The FFXIV census is very well done. Also interesting that (just) 1 server has more female characters than male ones.

Considering only the OP's concern, the population, I think that Aion still has a good amount of players. If you asked only this, you already know the game, so nothing to add.

It's hard to compare FFXIV to Aion.

Aion is totally free to play. You can run every instance, wear every piece of armor, level to max level and use every feature of the game without paying a single dime. It has one of the best free to play models I have ever seen. Obviously that's good. 

FFXIV is still essentially a pay to play game. There is some sort of deal thing where you can level to certain point, but then you still need to pay a sub to continue. Because you are paying a sub, you invest more in the game so it is harder to just walk away. So the players tend to be more stable. Plus.. it's Final Fantasy and the fan service is totally there.

Regarding the current population, the reduction to two servers has gone a long long way to beefing up looking for group and siege numbers. Parties for end-ish game content fill quickly and each side on each server pull numbers in excess of 150+ at each siege (unless a faction is taking a break).

Personally, I ended up uninstalling FFXIV because I did not care for the combat style or the UI. However, many people, including lots of friends of mine, love that game. So I recognize that I am in the minority.

Regarding Aion's playerbase, there are only two servers now, as you undoubtedly know, so the game feels very populated. There are people to play with. Of course, MMORPGs--all of them--always have a toxic community; that's just the way MMORPGs are. However, there are a lot of nice people too. If you have a character that is level 65 from your previous playtime, I would recommend doing the archdaeva quest to get it to level 66. Then you can snoop around the endgame stuff for a day and get a feel for the playerbase yourself without investing too much time.

4 hours ago, Aly-DN said:

It's hard to compare FFXIV to Aion.

Aion is totally free to play. You can run every instance, wear every piece of armor, level to max level and use every feature of the game without paying a single dime. It has one of the best free to play models I have ever seen. Obviously that's good. 

FFXIV is still essentially a pay to play game. There is some sort of deal thing where you can level to certain point, but then you still need to pay a sub to continue. Because you are paying a sub, you invest more in the game so it is harder to just walk away. So the players tend to be more stable. Plus.. it's Final Fantasy and the fan service is totally there.

Regarding the current population, the reduction to two servers has gone a long long way to beefing up looking for group and siege numbers. Parties for end-ish game content fill quickly and each side on each server pull numbers in excess of 150+ at each siege (unless a faction is taking a break).

Aion is *technically* free to play. Yes you can  avoid paying a dime, and you will hear some success stories, however  I would dispute that you would be ever competitive if you are interested in PVP, and you would probably get quite frustrated if you wanted to play more than one class.

If we compare Aion to FFXIV, I would say that it's still much easier to have alts in FFXIV than in Aion.

PVE and community: the community in FFXIV is amazing,they have been so welcoming on the two servers that I play on, the PVE is the clear winner, never boring can be extremely challenging- FFXIV is the clear winner- Aion is stale , either very easy PVE , or slightly hard and a  (by comparison) toxic, insular PVE community

PVP: haven't really liked FFXIV so far,I'll keep trying, but my expectations are low. Aion is the clear winner so far for PVP.

I didn't say anything (nor did the OP) about being "competitive". Probably because that varies so wildly. Will you be the top PvP Banana in 2 weeks without spending a dime? Nope. Can you go toe to toe with the majority of players in a few months without spending a dime? Sure.

I find alts in Aion to be super easy. I have a handful, all "decently" geared and level 72ish. They can get into most LFG groups and do fine in KBF, IDL and OW quick queue against other pug groups.

I enjoyed FFXIV for the visuals. The game is beautiful and, in the beginning, the PvE groups were great. As I got more to the end game groups, the player base was just as unforgiving and toxic as most MMOs. To the point that I just stopped playing. Not going to pay for a sub in a game where you are learning an instance and get yelled at. At least in Aion, you don't have to pay for that privilege. lol. I never did try PvP in FFXIV, but most things I have read say that it was an after thought and isn't that great.

21 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

I didn't say anything (nor did the OP) about being "competitive". Probably because that varies so wildly. Will you be the top PvP Banana in 2 weeks without spending a dime? Nope. Can you go toe to toe with the majority of players in a few months without spending a dime? Sure.

I find alts in Aion to be super easy. I have a handful, all "decently" geared and level 72ish. They can get into most LFG groups and do fine in KBF, IDL and OW quick queue against other pug groups.

I enjoyed FFXIV for the visuals. The game is beautiful and, in the beginning, the PvE groups were great. As I got more to the end game groups, the player base was just as unforgiving and toxic as most MMOs. To the point that I just stopped playing. Not going to pay for a sub in a game where you are learning an instance and get yelled at. At least in Aion, you don't have to pay for that privilege. lol. I never did try PvP in FFXIV, but most things I have read say that it was an after thought and isn't that great.

If you are going to bring up low level pug group PVP, then let's say that that is a fair expectation if you want to spend no money at all, and that you will be destroyed by geared players for likely several months.

Competitive means not being one or two shot, at no point did I state that it meant having the top GP rank (i.e. Governor). However, most people would not like to roll a class and find that they don't stand a chance for a long period because they are gearing up so slowly.

Competitive also does not mean quick que groups- it means forming a pre-made with the intent to PVP, typically with a static.

If someone doesn't care at all about PVP, then they'll probably just ignore all of this, but then FFXIV has more varied and challenging PVE.

Says the guy who hasn't bothered to login for months because he still has the merge name.

OP. If you want to know how things are in Aion right now, I wouldn't listen to anyone with a series of numbers and letters for a name. They aren't playing and haven't been playing and thus haven't a clue.

26 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

Says the guy who hasn't bothered to login for months because he still has the merge name.

OP. If you want to know how things are in Aion right now, I wouldn't listen to anyone with a series of numbers and letters for a name. They aren't playing and haven't been playing and thus haven't a clue.

I'm sure that the OP is free to make up their own mind and doesn't need you, or me , tell them what to do. I'm simply given my impression,  I'm not going to give a rosy impression that someone can have a very easy time without spending a dime, that's not necessarily true.

The fact that I'm posting under this account means absolutely nothing, you have no way at all of knowing whether I play (in fact I do). Everthing I posted is consistent with someone who is presently playing the game.

Re the comment on my name- which has nothing to do with this subject- for someone who claims to have alts, you seem to be a bit confused yourself. Let's stick to the subject at hand.

I wouldnt reccomend you to even bother to come back in this game for a lot of reasons:

-The average player in the game is not even  capable of running end game instances that require skills and/or good stats. A lot of players are not even  motivated to run anything. Good luck in looking for a group!

-Some instances are not made for NA standards, what i mean is :   between high pings and not having  "koran gear"  , its  almost impossible kill  2 bosses in two end-game instances (bos hard mode and toe).  Only the 1 % of the players can actualy do this instances, and the rewards are crap in toe and not worth even running bos hard mode, Immagine doing the hardest instance in the game to get litteraly nothing,or get gear that is actualy easier and faster to get by buying it on broker, or just playing in events with high change to get it.Quite demotivating.

-About pvp ,GP ranking  never reset. this  make it not worth even trying to farm gp for new players, if you are new or coming back in the game after a long time, you will never be able to reach an high rank, Also there are a lot of complaining about hackers  in pvp instances and open world that never get banned even with video proof of they hacking. 

-Lots of players seems like are leaving the game each month / or they stop doing any pvp related instance. i could  notice that by seeing the abyss rank, many people disappear from the ranking each month.

-Aion support is not decent at all , if you got a  problem and you need to send a ticket, prepare to have hard times. sometimes seems like  you are talking with a bot.They have no knowledge about how the game works, at the least 90% of them.

Personaly ,In overall To me this game looks like a ship that is slowly sinking, with the staff trying to squeez more money as possible before its too late. Totaly personal opinion, maybe the game is not in so bad conditions yet :)  

12 hours ago, Kubei-DN said:

I’m not even going to bother to argue with you since you’ve already missed my point but I’ll add this. I gave OP my answer, most of the stuff is happening after level 66, thus it should be his choice to see whether it’s actually worth playing it. Maybe FF14 is a better game, but advertising other games is actually against TOS if I remember right.

If you’re so hateful towards Aion and the publisher, I’m surprised you’re still here wasting time playing/posting when in fact you could’ve done much better in exchange. I have personal reasons to enjoy this game because I’m able to look past the current flaws. Nonetheless, I will leave you with this because like I said, it’s just a waste. 

Have a nice day. 

You keep saying that I'm missing your point, but you appear to be missing mine as well. 

It's not the obligation of the players to say positive things to others in order to retain the game's diminishing player base. It's not my responsibility to withhold or rephrase opinions, positive or negative, to convince other people to play this game. If I choose to do so, it's a bonus that helps them and this game, but if I choose otherwise, I'm well within my rights to do so. I'm not advertising anything if the choice is presented by OP. I'm not beholden to NCSoft. They're not paying me to convince others to stay. I'm a gamer that's interested in helping other people with making better decisions. If I feel it's in the better interests of players who are on the fence to go with either this or a different game, I can and will do so, just as it's well within your rights to defend it. But you're a hypocrite if you think that some opinions should be voiced while others should not.

You're the one jumping to conclusions and making assumptions left and right. Where do you see hate? I simply said FFXIV was the safer choice, and there are numbers to back that choice. It's not entirely subjective when the other game has nearly 40x (or more) of Aion's current player base.

This is a great read as I sit here eating my hash browns at werk. Love the number/letter name joke. Love the picture you made also. You're pretty cute. Made me giggle. OP is it possible for you to switch this thread to a poll? Might be alittle more helpful unless you enjoy this as much as I do.

I will stand with the "No" side of playing this game though. Trust me I wish I could say yes but there's many reasons why I even quit. I will not listen them because that's to much to type on my phone with my fat thumbs. But you can always come my ts3 and we can have story time.

On 7/1/2018 at 5:13 PM, 66sE7A38-DN said:

As the title explains, just curious if it's worth coming back and playing Aion. Are there steady amount of players still active? Or should I just return to FFXIV?

No. They just merged 5 servers into 2 and it still feels empty if there's not a good event running that makes people keep their alts logged. Gear progression for not p2w players is a joke. You'll never be decently geared for the patch being before they push a new one. And that's asuming you have no job, play all day with multiple alts and accounts to farm your manastones, enchants, etc. As everything in this patch is tradeable, people just buy kinah from botters and purchase their gear.

Also, it's not worth playing at any other level than 75. You just won't enjoy the content as your stats will be shit and will be locked out of endgame pve instances. In PVP you'll get rolled over by hackers, p2w (usually the two combined) who are 75 and wipe your casual party in two seconds. You'll rarely encounter another casual party to have fun fights with, it feels like it's the same 40 people playing in the two servers left. Lots of people hack their way to level 75. If you don't, then prepare for a long six months (or more) race to attain max level, burning yourself out by running the same boring instance over and over.

I've been playing for over 6 years nonstop, endgame, I've seen the game gone from sub-based to free-to-play, witnessed the original player base leaving for better games, slowly turning into a lazy toxic cheating p2w community. I myself have been playing FFXIV for the last two months, community is super nice, even latino communities who are full of arrogant cheaters here, you won't find there. People are just nicer, calmer, a lot more casual. I willingly payed for the game and the monthly sub because the game experience is so good, which is something I haven't had in Aion for years now. Even if you spent 15 dolars a month it will be nothing here in Aion for you to get geared, it still won't make you competitive.

So, as someone who experienced the merge, hoping it would change things and make the game a little more playable and still left for a sub-based game, I would recommend you don't touch it unless you really want to and are tolerant to frustration, which you'll experience lots. Most people still playing who are not p2w cheaters are just addicted, they don't leave because they can't. FFXIV is better, far more complex and fun PVE wise, and even if Aion is better pvp game mechanics wise, you won't have fun pvp playing against players boosted by p2w items and cheats.

tl;dr: Don't. Stay away from Free-to-play games.

46 minutes ago, Aislinng-DN said:

No. They just merged 5 servers into 2 and it still feels empty if there's not a good event running that makes people keep their alts logged. Gear progression for not p2w players is a joke. You'll never be decently geared for the patch being before they push a new one. And that's asuming you have no job, play all day with multiple alts and accounts to farm your manastones, enchants, etc. As everything in this patch is tradeable, people just buy kinah from botters and purchase their gear.

Also, it's not worth playing at any other level than 75. You just won't enjoy the content as your stats will be shit and will be locked out of endgame pve instances. In PVP you'll get rolled over by hackers, p2w (usually the two combined) who are 75 and wipe your casual party in two seconds. You'll rarely encounter another casual party to have fun fights with, it feels like it's the same 40 people playing in the two servers left. Lots of people hack their way to level 75. If you don't, then prepare for a long six months (or more) race to attain max level, burning yourself out by running the same boring instance over and over.

I've been playing for over 6 years nonstop, endgame, I've seen the game gone from sub-based to free-to-play, witnessed the original player base leaving for better games, slowly turning into a lazy toxic cheating p2w community. I myself have been playing FFXIV for the last two months, community is super nice, even latino communities who are full of arrogant cheaters here, you won't find there. People are just nicer, calmer, a lot more casual. I willingly payed for the game and the monthly sub because the game experience is so good, which is something I haven't had in Aion for years now. Even if you spent 15 dolars a month it will be nothing here in Aion for you to get geared, it still won't make you competitive.

So, as someone who experienced the merge, hoping it would change things and make the game a little more playable and still left for a sub-based game, I would recommend you don't touch it unless you really want to and are tolerant to frustration, which you'll experience lots. Most people still playing who are not p2w cheaters are just addicted, they don't leave because they can't. FFXIV is better, far more complex and fun PVE wise, and even if Aion is better pvp game mechanics wise, you won't have fun pvp playing against players boosted by p2w items and cheats.

tl;dr: Don't. Stay away from Free-to-play games.

So gud, so gud, loved the post. Don't forget the best part even about prestige for aion is the 5% bonus run speed. Other then that the rest is useless and out dated. Just like the Terms of Service.

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2018 at 6:29 PM, France-KT said:

Wait 6.0 then come back.

That patch gonna transform the whole game literally..

Do we know when 6.0 is going to go live?  I just came back after not playing for probably 5-6 years and was curious what was new with Aion.

Should I bother making a new character even to relearn the game or just find something else to do in the mean time?

Archived