Beyond the Windstream: Producer’s Letter – February 2018

Gideon

3 hours ago, kitat-KT said:

*rage*

It's a wonder you play Aion at all. I can't believe anyone that hates NCSoft so much is still playing an NCSoft game.

Moving forward without the rage..

In the past little has been done about hackers. That's totally true. It took ages and such a fight by the player base to get anyone banned. Now, however, they are putting in an anti-cheat program. Here is the perfect time for them to step up. There are some big names that the player base can agree are no-ani. Doesn't matter how many times their friends say that they are legit, we know. If this new anti-cheat let's them skate by, then we can complain. I, for one, am willing to give this new thing a chance.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Dual-KT said:

Ballerina/Medivac talking about getting a workaround for NCSoft anti-cheat program

https://clips.twitch.tv/SweetInquisitiveHeronChocolateRain

yeh they wouldn't ban him with the video of him with para vanilla up while streaming, wouldn't ban him with the video of him bypassing the travel animations and insta appearing at other side to fight they won't ban him off this either

I already uninstalled Aion. Xingcode 3 was just the last straw I need to convince myself that this game is over already. P2w game, lot of hackers, lot of crashes and DC. In game rewards not happening for important things, having to send tickets time after time and now they will force Xingcode 3 on us so they can (most likely) get some money from the data they steal from us and sell to some shady company (this is not confirmed, just my suspicions about this really bad program that many games are using lately). I'm done with this games for masochistic people.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure many people will say "we don't care about you no playing anymore", but think about it like this, What I just said is in place of the Many, many players that will stop playing this game without saying a single word (Like all my legion mates, we all going out of this messed game).

So, farewell people, I know not many players know me, if any, but for those that maybe do, I wish you good luck. May the fates let us play together in another game some day.

Infinity Eight Log Off.

41 minutes ago, Tyd-KT said:

yeh they wouldn't ban him with the video of him with para vanilla up while streaming, wouldn't ban him with the video of him bypassing the travel animations and insta appearing at other side to fight they won't ban him off this either

giphy.gif

So I am sort of wondering if some of this outcry and quitting and whining about this new anti-cheat is legit worrying about privacy or if some of it isn't people that hack (or play with hackers) worried that they (or their buddies) will not be able to play going forward.

Anyone else?

P.S. It's like people we -know- got banned for public hacks suddenly taking vacations from the game or moving to China or whatever. Right?

5 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

giphy.gif

So I am sort of wondering if some of this outcry and quitting and whining about this new anti-cheat is legit worrying about privacy or if some of it isn't people that hack (or play with hackers) worried that they (or their buddies) will not be able to play going forward.

Anyone else?

yeh I agree with this.  This latest clip just shows how blatant the cheats are now

@Cyan Since you seem active enough, can you answer or pinpoint Hime/Gideon towards my previous questions? Because the tool is released in less than 48h and I am sure some of us would like to know in advance if we're getting something intrusive (i.e: accessing files that are not related to Aion, like bank data, passwords, etc...) or that doesn't allow multiclienting/ping reducing.....

This anti-cheat system is very worrying. It is a valid concern that the majority of these commentators against the anti-cheat system could be cheaters or people who support cheaters, but it is still a major issue that this anti-cheat system is allegedly able to key log your computer, or scan it in it's entirety and send selected information to some shady company that not much have heard of. The likes of these capabilities' descriptions would probably be shielded from NCsoft and the players, as that is the nature of data mining. Some players have non-disclosure agreements to keep. This program would probably violate non-disclosure agreements, and therefore even if NCsoft were to attempt to reassure everyone, players with NDAs would have to quit the game that is if they don't want to spend time moving protected content from their computer and zero out their hard drive. Remember, people are lazy, only doing things when they absolutely have to and in the most effortless way possible.

Additionally, since I am 'blessed' with the ability to keep a watchful eye on the Aion Community as a player, there is intel that information is spreading on how to get around the anti-cheat software. I know for one that it is selectively being distributed among a distinct group of players. There were stream(s) on this sometime ago and are not available for future viewing by the public. Sadly some of the streams, exclusively when live, were public to all viewers. Normally I'd just private message this part to a NCsoft representative like the Community Coordinator, however it is already highly well known bypass information exists. It is also a concern that NCsoft will act at all, that is why I publicly posted this much.

My advise would be to just fix the Aion client and forget the 3rd party add-ons, or otherwise suffer from a highly ineffective anti-cheat system.

If Cyan would like to contact me for information on what I discussed other than my suggestion, as always, he can, but I have a bunch of other things to do and I really don't feel like working harder to get ignored.

(No assigned public name)

To keep things in prespective, Discord, Google, Windows 10 and etc. is no different when it comes to data mining, this is the price we pay for living in the modern information age. You either embrace the botnet or you don't.

This is Discord's privacy policy or at least was, you can search engine around and find similar privacy policies for Win10 etc.

https://ibb.co/d8NA6S

23 minutes ago, Kruption-DN said:

To keep things in prespective, Discord, Google, Windows 10 and etc. is no different when it comes to data mining, this is the price we pay for living in the modern information age. You either embrace the botnet or you don't.

This is Discord's privacy policy or at least was, you can search engine around and find similar privacy policies for Win10 etc.

Discord, Google, and Microsoft are under the microscope far more than the company in question, mainly because they are big companies. Key logging information directly from the user on their computer is far worse than one company logging information when you visit them as well. We have no clue how malicious this company is, where in the case of Google, they are bound to be not as malicious, for example selling bank pin codes to strangers is something Google wouldn't do where the company in question has no kind indicator that they won't.

It really doesn't matter, the only thing that should be able to data mine is the government for national security reasons. Just because companies are still able to do it doesn't make it fine.

Edit: Policies posted are just documents, it doesn't mean they won't do something. The security of data mined information is also something to question. A lesser example of companies not following their word is right in front of your nose.

3 hours ago, 1s361CC3-KT said:

Additionally, since I am 'blessed' with the ability to keep a watchful eye on the Aion Community as a player, there is intel that information is spreading on how to get around the anti-cheat software. I know for one that it is selectively being distributed among a distinct group of players. There were stream(s) on this sometime ago and are not available for future viewing by the public.

It's nothing as impressive really, it takes like 5 minutes of Google to find the bypass for this thing. That is how useless it is. NCSoft needs to stop relying on vague, 3rd party programs to do their job for them and start to actually enforce their own rules to discourage people from hacking. It is the only way. Actively deal with reports, hire two people from the massive profits they are making, and have them give out actual punishments instead of the <24h temp bans people get now if they have an NCcoin history.

2 hours ago, Kruption-DN said:

The difference with those services you mentioned is that you still have some semblance of control over how much privacy you give up. Google? You can use a proxy or turn to a non-tracking searcher like DuckDuckGo. Discord? Use the touch-and-go web version instead of the installer, and don't link your social media accounts (which you never should, but that is a dead giveaway). In both cases there at least is a visible privacy policy out there.

Xigncode doesn't give you any of those options, or any privacy policy statements. It installs if the game uses it, doesn't ask you any questions, and doesn't give you any information about its scanning behavior. If you don't agree with that tough luck: you either can find another game to play, or look for a bypass.

Most of what is known about Xigncode's file scanning and datamining actually comes from observant souls who kept a close eye on the program's activity and posted their findings on tech sites and reddit to raise awareness. Add up that your data doesn't "at least" fall in the hands of your local government but is wired through to some shady Chinese company no one knows anything about and the signs are not looking good.

4 minutes ago, Mirei-KT said:

It's nothing as impressive really, it takes like 5 minutes of Google to find the bypass for this thing. That is how useless it is. NCSoft needs to stop relying on vague, 3rd party programs to do their job for them and start to actually enforce their own rules and discourage people from hacking. It is the only way. Actively deal with reports, hire two people from the massive profits they are making, and have them give out actual punishments instead of the <24h temp bans people get now if they have an NCcoin history.

Well, there is another issue, there are legions of 'idols' who befriend legions of hackers. I don't even understand why they are 'idols', there isn't anything special about them. They are worse at playing than everybody else, only thing different is that they have P2W gear or hacks. It needs to change.

I think this is really good ,a good way to make sure there are least hackers around ,however there are few questions that will be asked often:

1. Can we still use ping reducing programs ,wtfast,rlt etc. I'd say over 60% of the server's population uses these for convenient game play.
  2. Is multiclient/duobox allowed,that's not that important ,but is it ? :)

I truly hope that this will eliminate any doubts that people had about whether someone was hacking or not.

On 2/16/2018 at 1:13 AM, Aly-DN said:

^ I also hope that this anti-cheat thing doesn't prevent us from dual boxing.

XIGNCODE3  functions like this:

• Detect and reject VPN access (Game management company is able to handle it) >:(>:(>:(
  • Detect of DirectX modulation and illegal call
  • Detect of WDDM driver modulation
  • Detect modified of function about time
  • Detect time modified via using time server
  • Detect of game client local time modification
  • Detect of major kernel function modification
  • Detect DLL injection
  • Detect virtual memory code injection
  • Detect harmful thread
  • Detect harmful window creation in game
  • Detect keyboard highjack in game
  • Detect illegal control of DHCP
  • Detect Nuking/drop hack
  • Detect auto click
  • Detect software/hardware macro
  • Detect message hook
  • Detect multi-client 
  • Detect VEH/SEH modify and register
  • Check game client hash
  • Detect call specific function in game
  • Detect game resource modification
  • Reject game process memory accessing
  • Reject game process handle accessing
  • Reject game process message transmission
  • Reject game process keyboard/mouse input transmission
  • Reject game window GDI accessing
  • Reject debug interrupt handler modification
  • Reject calling kernel function directly
  • Reject stealth process/module/driver
  • Reject kernel/user mode debugging
  • Detect executed on virtual environment

It says detect only ,nothing about rejection for dual-client.However all people using ping reducing programs will suffer a lot from this change. >:(

Dual-boxing allows people that afk to afk everywhere,so in a way it's a good thing.Who needs more toxic afkers in evergale anyway :D

Not sure where you are getting that ping reducers aren't allowed since we have had Aion players who also play BnS saying they use ping reducers just fine.

@Cyan.. Could we -please- get confirmation on:

• Can we still use ping reducers with the new anti-cheat?
  • Can we still dual box with the new anti-cheat?

All this speculation and fear-mongering is getting out of hand.

The same 2 questions are being posted over and over and no one had made the cortesy of answering it. I play BnS. I have friends who use ping reducers playing BnS. About dual client, the game never let you launch another client so i cant say it was the XINCODE who dont allow it. In less of 24 hours  it will be implemented, and Gideon said that would provide more info. And again (like patch notes of 5.8) nothing is posted BEFORE for the playerbase.

I also play Secret World Legends and i have more respect and readiness to reply players from Funcom than from NCSOFT. Not to mention the fact that theres is ALWAYS a dev on gam and on Discord channel to fast access the playerbase. And i speak with full experience since i have needed of ingame help from them and in less of 2 seconds the dev was next to me.

This kind of things should reach CEOs and not the working ppl because they are not who control this things. But it is sad, very sad, the feeling "we dont give a fuk to you player, just play and shut up" we get every day.

I would like to know if it blocks ping reducers. I need to use one and is nothing illegal with it. 

Also. Other software like ARM is allowed with this thing? 

this thing comes with a general config for every software who uses it, or the game´s company can decide how will be the settings for their game? Maybe in other games dual boxing is a kind of cheat, but in Aion a lot of people uses that and nobody thinks is dishonest. We also have some related software like ARM, AiDPS, shugo console and nobody takes those as illegal software. So, can the company decide the exceptions in this anticheat thing?

If we already have people telling how they can bypass the anticheat easily, and those are the real target for this new thing. Is not a good idea to wait a little for it, and try to check how it will work? You know, like testing something. I know that testing things is not a concept used in NCSoft. But like every new thing, it can bring some issues. I remember after joining Steam that some of us had that annoying issue with Awesomium process. And finally it was for nothing. 

Well, we will have it tomorrow. I hope it works fine and will not make Aion unstable. I also hope that is like Cheesecake said and we wont have conflicts with VPNs. Finally I hope that will really harm the cheaters and most of them wont be smart enought to bypass it. 

Having been through the Gameguard misery my concerns are :

- no issues with third-party ping reduction programs as many people have mentioned. 

- privacy issues: what data access is required and who is going to access that data. If there's any changes to the current agreement, these should be known before tomorrow.

Finally, the responses from the CMs has been abysmal on this. A lot of the community want hacking stopped, likely a lot of people won't play or have left due to hackers. We understand that you don't want to provide too much information, however you should  know by now exactly which programs will work with this and are considered "legitimate". You should publish a list saying "YES, you can use programs "X, Y, Z and XINCODE" will NOT flag them.  It wuld realistically be a short list (ping reducers, Aion Rainmeter,)

Otherwise, we'll run into the same issues as we had with Gameguard, with everyone finding out for themselves and flooding Support with tickets.

7 hours ago, Asmodir-DN said:

The same 2 questions are being posted over and over and no one had made the cortesy of answering it. I play BnS. I have friends who use ping reducers playing BnS. About dual client, the game never let you launch another client so i cant say it was the XINCODE who dont allow it.

Do you know if they can run programs like aidpsmeter or ARM, and if they've got any issues with keyboard/mouse macro software like Razer Synapse, Logitech, etc.?

Archived