Beyond the Windstream: Producer’s Letter – February 2018

Gideon

• Daeva

Greetings Daevas!

It’s been a busy few months for Aion. We kicked off 2018 with our 5.8 launch, Aion: Heart of Frost, while in Korea, our mother studio launched the next chapter – Aion 6.0. While Aion 5.8 brought many new additions and changes, it also introduced some issues which we are working on with the dev team.

Aion 6.0

It’s exciting to see so much discussion about Aion 6.0 since it was announced and subsequently launched. With the 6.0 update, Aion Korea has transitioned from a subscription model to a free-to-play model, along with making sweeping changes to game systems, landscape, and more. You may be wondering what does this mean for our service and how does it impact you as a player?

First, a lot of really awesome things are coming – for a few examples, enchantment will become less risky and character leveling will be streamlined with a much easier progression curve. There are some pretty significant economy changes as well, so we are working with the dev team to identify how they will affect players and how we can improve the transition. The key to any major update is properly taking care of the veteran players who have stuck with us this whole time, who love Aion and have made it their home. Our aim is that the transition into the changed Atreia of 6.0 is as smooth as possible, and that all our players find a game that feels renewed, engaging, and fun, while retaining the unmistakable soul of Aion.

XIGNCODE3

In a previous producer’s letter, I briefly mentioned another project that should improve our player experience, and we’re finally at a point where we can make a public announcement. Over the past several months, our development, security and operations teams have been hard at work implementing XIGNCODE3 with the North American Aion client.

XIGNCODE3 is a powerful anti-cheat tool that is being utilized in another of NCSOFT’s titles, Blade & Soul, and this launch is a major step for us in addressing the hacking situation in Aion. We’ve kept in touch with the Blade & Soul team regarding the various challenges and successes they’ve had since launching XIGNCODE3, and are dedicated to ensuring the best possible experience for our players. Look for more information on this very soon.

XIGNCODE3 for Aion will be released with the February 21st patch.

Up Next

We’re still a ways off from Aion 6.0 launching in the West, but in the meantime we’re excited to have a few brand new events coming up over the next few months. Among these are Daeva Dash, a special 3v3 racing instance, and the return of Tiamaranta’s Eye.

Thanks for reading!

• Cyan pinned this topic
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gideon said:

Greetings Daevas!

It’s been a busy few months for Aion. We kicked off 2018 with our 5.8 launch, Aion: Heart of Frost, while in Korea, our mother studio launched the next chapter – Aion 6.0. While Aion 5.8 brought many new additions and changes, it also introduced some issues which we are working on with the dev team.

Aion 6.0

It’s exciting to see so much discussion about Aion 6.0 since it was announced and subsequently launched. With the 6.0 update, Aion Korea has transitioned from a subscription model to a free-to-play model, along with making sweeping changes to game systems, landscape, and more. You may be wondering what does this mean for our service and how does it impact you as a player?

First, a lot of really awesome things are coming – for a few examples, enchantment will become less risky and character leveling will be streamlined with a much easier progression curve. There are some pretty significant economy changes as well, so we are working with the dev team to identify how they will affect players and how we can improve the transition. The key to any major update is properly taking care of the veteran players who have stuck with us this whole time, who love Aion and have made it their home. Our aim is that the transition into the changed Atreia of 6.0 is as smooth as possible, and that all our players find a game that feels renewed, engaging, and fun, while retaining the unmistakable soul of Aion.

You do realise Aion is doing bad in 6.0 Korea, there needs to be some pretty big changes for it to being even good for NA client. No one wants maps to get deleted, we saw how that happened in 4.8 which decimated our population. The best thing is to avoid 6.0 altogether, since Korea they are facing a population crisis. Their Economy changes are designed to counter bots for which they have been allowing while here in NA, bots are almost non-existent. Do not take away our freedom to trade other players, that's like saying we're not allowed to use eBay, Amazon or Gumtree.

You need to understand 6.0 is very bad, that it heavily outweighs the any good about it. Listen I worked with {CM} Phenteo and {CC} Trine and {CC} Nyx long ago in the past, I can help you understand how these changes will be detrimental to all of us.

The anti- cheat though is very nice to hear, I want that Mlaki-KT banned, animation hacking and account trading as well.

XIGNCODE3 like Gameguard does nothing to stop the hackers and only inconveniences legit players. B&S uses this and it is easily bypassed. The only thing I see this doing is preventing legit players from running multiple clients and just making us feel like we are being watched.

kdDEf6A.jpg

25 minutes ago, Johngunmad-KT said:

You do realise Aion is doing bad in 6.0 Korea, there needs to be some pretty big changes for it to being even good for NA client. No one wants maps to get deleted, we saw how that happened in 4.8 which decimated our population. The best thing is to avoid 6.0 altogether, since Korea they are facing a population crisis. Their Economy changes are designed to counter bots for which they have been allowing while here in NA, bots are almost non-existent. Do not take away our freedom to trade other players, that's like saying we're not allowed to use eBay, Amazon or Gumtree.

You need to understand 6.0 is very bad, that it heavily outweighs the any good about it. Listen I worked with {CM} Phenteo and {CC} Trine and {CC} Nyx long ago in the past, I can help you understand how these changes will be detrimental to all of us.

The anti- cheat though is very nice to hear, I want that Mlaki-KT banned, animation hacking and account trading as well.

Do you have any reliable source that tells Aion 6.0 is doing bad?

I mean numbers / data not player qqing about things that are constantly changed in this innitial phase of the patch

28 minutes ago, Johngunmad-KT said:

You keep saying this without saying how or where you know this from. From watching streams, the game seems very healthy, their forums are active and threads have hundreds/thousands of views. And according to gametrics the game still ranks 13th, and while not a perfect counter, if the game was in a crisis I doubt so many people would be going to PC bangs to play it.

56 minutes ago, Johngunmad-KT said:

I want maps to get deleted.

1 hour ago, Johngunmad-KT said:

I agree with all of this especially about out Governor just blatantly hacking. Actually don't understand how he can live with himself when both factions hate him.

1 minute ago, MissAnTung-KT said:

I agree with all of this especially about out Governor just blatantly hacking. Actually don't understand how he can live with himself when both factions hate him.

Your governor is hardly the first governor to hack. When he gets banned, he won't be the first governor to be banned. He won't even be the second or the third.

Guess he will be the first test of this new anti-cheat. Let's see if it picks him up as a hacker and then let's see if NCWest actually bans him.

5 hours ago, Gideon said:

XIGNCODE3

In a previous producer’s letter, I briefly mentioned another project that should improve our player experience, and we’re finally at a point where we can make a public announcement. Over the past several months, our development, security and operations teams have been hard at work implementing XIGNCODE3 with the North American Aion client.

XIGNCODE3 is a powerful anti-cheat tool that is being utilized in another of NCSOFT’s titles, Blade & Soul, and this launch is a major step for us in addressing the hacking situation in Aion. We’ve kept in touch with the Blade & Soul team regarding the various challenges and successes they’ve had since launching XIGNCODE3, and are dedicated to ensuring the best possible experience for our players. Look for more information on this very soon.

XIGNCODE3 for Aion will be released with the February 21st patch.

Will XIGNCODE3 affect players using ping reducer programs? Are we allowed to use ping reducer programs to improve our internet connection to the servers? I think everyone in the community would like an official confirmation on this because half the population will get suspended/banned next week if it's not allowed.

1 hour ago, Johngunmad-KT said:

Is this a meme?  In what world is the removal of useless 1.x maps that people don't touch at all a bad thing?  With every major patch people always stop going to the old zones.  When was the last time you went to Eltnen, Morheim or even Lower Abyss?  Where are you getting these population crisis numbers from?  It's understandable if you don't like the whole "They're making P2W not as P2W as it used to be" aspect but in my opinion this patch is great.  It actually makes players... Play.  You know, the game?  People can no longer purchase Kinah (they can still abuse the broker but PlayNC/Gameforge will probably ban for that, not US) and get instantly geared within 2 hours of browsing LFG/the Broker with a fat wallet.  The only thing I don't like is how limited the trading is.  So far I'm only able to trade stigmas, teleport scrolls, craft materials and a few nominal things.

1 hour ago, Violeta-KT said:

The only thing I see this doing is preventing legit players from running multiple clients

At BnS you couldn't open second client since the beginning that is why you still cant AFTER they implemented it. We dont know at AION but i hope that will not make any problem with dual client.

I'm really happy to hear of some brand new events. The reopening of Tia's Eye will be very fun for all. The new anti-hacking program sounds interesting but I too am concerned about being able to run 2 clients at once. That is also a concern for 6.0 as well. I hope you can come up with a solution to the economy that will make most of the players satisfied.

In 6.0 there will be 0 reasons to going to Nors/Iluma when every new content will be placed inside of Lakrum.  Weeklies, dailies, events, etc.  That's how it will be useless.  Hence the "every major patch makes all of the old zones obsolete" comment.

http://www.gametrics.com/gameinfo/gameinfo01.aspx?gamename=아이온

So much for Aion being daedgema.  Population crisis.  Hah.  (Yellow line is Aion's ranking on every game in gametric's PCBang list.  Blue line is current players, unknown if it's only calculating PCBang users or not, but I'd say it's most likely.)

1 minute ago, MelbourneDerby-KT said:

Whats the justification for keeping Enshar and Cygnea which were useless 1 month into release? They are dead regions, why are they being kept?

Because they will hold the quests for those levels. They won't be dead after 6.0 because levelers will have to go there to level.

You are focusing too much on -which- maps are staying and which are leaving instead of focusing on that we have been told that leveling will be streamlined so that there will be no more dead areas on map or dead maps. That enough maps and areas are being removed to match the speed in which we will be leveling. 

Archived