Shaky Hands Trouble in PvP

GenericUser14016

Hi, since I'm a not used to PvP, i always get so nervous until my hands are shaking so badly, then I ended up losing. This is really troublesome and I really need some help on this. I wonder any of u have this shaky hands problem and how u guys overcome this?

Oh, and I need some tips on how to PvP.

(Btw I admit that I am a noob in PvP:|)

Overthinking things? Performance anxiety?

Really the only way to overcome this kind of thing is to just keep PvPing until you build up your own self-confidence to the point that the anxiety goes away.

It's all about mindset. What is it about PvP that makes you nervous? Are you concerned about being judged? Overly attached to your character and worried about your pixels dying? Find out what it is that's bothering you and change how you think about it.

Also, no shame in being bad at PvP. Everyone starts somewhere and there's always going to be someone better than you. Maybe PvP in groups until you're confident enough to go at it alone.

You know, it's rather refreshing to see someone who is honest enough to ask for help.

I  will say that my hands shook pretty hard after healing as a cleric in PVP in Aion, it was way too stressful for me ( I know you're not a cleric, just saying that someones a specific class can be harder too for some people)

If you find someone who is patient and can duel with them a bit, that can help, as will grouping with experienced and good PVPers. With practice, everyone can improve.

Oh man, I totally know where you're coming from! I've gotten a lot more comfortable with PvP over time but even now I still get nervous sometimes and my hands will shake like crazy after a nerve wracking encounter. Besides just practice and exposure, I think it's like Forgotten said, it's important to figure out what exactly makes you anxious, so that you can find ways to feel more comfy and confident. In my case I was absolutely terrified of being judged or yelled at, so I had to start small with, like, afking my arenas and only pvping with super chill people who wouldn't raise their voices or blame me. (And mercilessly block all the jerks along the way ;)) Some folks take PvP waaaay too seriously, so it's really great when you can find players who die and just take it in stride and keep trying.

Listening to music also helps, whether it's to calm you down or hype you up! :D 

Relax, it's a game. Can't be any worse than me. Age 51, mild arthritis, satellite internet ping 600 and up, 800 evening hours, max speed 25Mbps. Just pretend the other players are nothing but NPC mobs with better AI than you're used to.

The main secret, survive the first 5 seconds of a fight - now you know what the opponent does and, how to counter it. Best case you win, worst case, you die and learn, and counter that class of opponent better next time.

People start in with "You suck!" reply "Yep, but I'm very good at being very bad - LOL" make it fun, don't let the haters get to you. Just remember if you can't be good, be good at being bad. :D

I'm a cleric,and I had the same issue when I started way back in 2012.And because of that I avoided pvp,which is a really  bad idea since it didn't fix anything..The thing with shaky hands  is you get tensed,your reflexes stiff,you can't control the keys.You just hit every skill available ,end up  using every cd and wasting it ,you stop using your head.You're just too scared to lose or die.The way I fixed it is  I got someone  to run with me everyday,go open world pvp.As much as I hated it,the guy I was with was always  pvping,kata/danaria days..We pvp most of the days,everyday.One day I just got comfortable ,not scared anymore.It's just practice and practice and more  practice.Don't run solo first till you get  comfy.Learn to use skills at the right time.And never lose your head,if you're too scared or too mad or tensed,you lose .You make mistakes,think of it as if you die,it's just pixels,just a game .

I've been playing this since launch on and off as well as other games with PvP and let me tell you the struggle is real with my hands shaking. My biggest issue is I used to main a healer class it was all I played and I would get so nervous as it is a lot of responsibility to keep a group alive in pvp, but I loved the pressure of being able to do it and after awhile and by while I mean maybe an hour of Pvping I would be fine at least until the next day lol. I thought this issue only would happen to me, so it is nice to know it happens to others ;).

All I can say is you will get used to Pvping, whether good or bad and wont shake as much. I used to be really good in group play, but not playing in 2+ years has damaged me lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing since 1.9 and I still shake ... but i'm not shaking with anxiety or because i'm nervous ... 

I shake cause I want BLOOD!!!  Enjoy it, have fun, NEVER think you're going to lose, the (Elyos or Asmo) on the other side might be shaking just as bad as you !!!

;-)

Don't feel bad, even I get this sometimes when I come back.

Only thing you can do is just practice and build confidence.

As far as tips, feel free to PM me, I'll try to answer as much as I can whenever I am online. ;)

9 hours ago, Erushi-KT said:

Thanks all:)

Anyways, i also found out that my ping is too high... I think that's why my reaction speed is so slow that i always get killed first...

Any other ways to lower ping? My ping is like 1000+?

Use a ping reducer, such as WTFast.

When I first started to PvP, way back when, I was charge! no fear! no anxiety! go go go go!

It didn't work.

I think every ranger goes through that until we finally convince ourselves: We ain't wearing plate. I got to stay behind our Templar.

Best way to win in PvP is find some friends to run with. A group of 3 or 4 will do a lot of damage out there (any class). Won't win all the time, but it sure is more fun.

MayBlue

On 20/06/2018 at 2:14 AM, MayBlue-DN said:

When I first started to PvP, way back when, I was charge! no fear! no anxiety! go go go go!

It didn't work.

I think every ranger goes through that until we finally convince ourselves: We ain't wearing plate. I got to stay behind our Templar.

Best way to win in PvP is find some friends to run with. A group of 3 or 4 will do a lot of damage out there (any class). Won't win all the time, but it sure is more fun.

MayBlue

True... Leather armor and cloth armor user like me seriously need to be in groups?... I've been PvPing in groups lately so it does help.

Been in and out pvping/pve'ing for past 4 years I'd say and I still have this, I think some people just can't overcome this psychological barrier. I lost to many equal geared/skilled players because of clicking wrong skills or getting dizzy and not realising im silenced when i can use greater healing pot.. SO yeah... x_x 

My advice get geared to the point where even if your heart rate triples and you are on the edge of fainting using random skills, you still not die. :D

Urmm.. one problem tho... I don't have that much abyss points nor spinel medals to get myself a nice pvp gear... I know that a good pvp gear is very important but I tried to enter arenas like arena of chaos but it seems like no entries from other players... so... i got zero medals... *sob sob...

#sadlife

45 minutes ago, Erushi-KT said:

Urmm.. one problem tho... I don't have that much abyss points nor spinel medals to get myself a nice pvp gear... I know that a good pvp gear is very important but I tried to enter arenas like arena of chaos but it seems like no entries from other players... so... i got zero medals... *sob sob...

#sadlife

Don't worry about it too much. 6.0 is coming in a few months (theoretically), and all current pvp gear will be much weaker than the new stuff. If you already had 75AP gear, then yeah, you would be working to upgrade it to +15 80AP so that you could exchange it in 6.0. But if you don't have any at all, it would take you way too much time and kinah to try to get gear before 6.0.

... Unless you have like a billion kinah to spare. Then just buy the 75AP gear (Prime Captain) on the broker.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Erushi.  Nice question, and Forgotten pretty much summed it up by saying just keep PVPing until you are used to it.  That's pretty much all you can do.

What may be happening might not be nervousness, but excitement.  I know that may be splitting hairs a little, but there is a bit of a difference.  It's really common in poker players to get hands shaking, not from nervousness - fear of losing - but when they have good hands, and are excited about winning.  If you are in a poker hand with someone, and their hands start to shake a lot - fold.

One way to get used to PVP is to slow the fights down.  They seem really fast, which can make you nervous/excited - and your focus on the win can disrupt you improving.  Rather than focus on kill/die - focus on learning one specific thing.  If you are over-matched in the PVP, and you die and your only thought is about "I died" you may never come to enjoy the PVP or get better.  Rather, figure out one thing you need to do in every PVP battle, and do that thing.  Then when the fight is over, you can say "I did the thing I needed to do - and I improved."  Then after time that one thing will become automatic for you from practicing enough.  Then you add another thing - and practice doing those two things...and now you're learning a combo.  As you get used to these, you will stop panicking when you see an enemy, and instead you'll be cool because you'll know exactly what things you need to do, and reflex will take over.

Don't try to go straight from noob to champ.  Be ok with small gains and you'll get there eventually.  You'll enjoy the game more if you stop worrying only about winning every fight, and instead focus on learning from each fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived