CPU slightly loaded while low FPS

I noticed today that when my characters are in Norsvold, Azphel's Sanctuary, the framerate critically falls (14-18) and the picture is bad, but the processors on both computers are not overloaded at all, show less than 50% busy. Especially on my newer CPU Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake (3200MHz, LGA1151 v2, L3 12288Kb), the load is very small. I know it's without "K" in the end (cannot be overclocked) but I set Turbo Boost for it. My other computer has CPU Intel i5 4690K, it's weaker, framerate falls to worse values, but even it shows less than 50% busy in Norsvold. Why can't the CPU be more busy and give better results on the picture? Earlier, when my computers had weaker CPUs, I used to see they were about 100% busy when there were many players in a location, like on siege in Abyss, Azphel's Sanctuary, some events in Pandemonium. I thought Aion was a processor-based game, what is now? My video adapters are rather new and good: AMD Radeon RX 480 series and AMD Radeon RX 580 series. In Windows Performance Index, they both show index of 7.9, while CPU Intel Core i7-8700 shows 7.9 and CPU i5-4690K shows 7.7.

It still is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent. I'm only guessing, but the frame rate issues you're experiencing are probably due the fact that certain maps are so poorly optimized and overladen with effects that even modern GPUs struggle with them. This is why your frames will drop precipitously when panning over certain areas or when certain things happen (e.g.: excessive crashing in SFT, when flags drop near you or on top of you in EC). You can test this yourself. Find a spot where you notice your frame rate drop, then continuously pan your camera back and forth over that area while monitoring your GPU memory usage and temperatures. If you see an activity/temperature spike, your GPU is struggling in that area.

As for why they can't make the game even MORE CPU dependent than it already is: it's the limitations of the game engine they're using. You can't just flip a switch and tell it to do something it wasn't designed to do. Also, they have to strike a fine balance between average users and power users. You can make the assumption that everyone has moved onto much stronger processors than the game was originally designed for, but the truth is that not everyone can afford top-spec hardware and some people still run this using older PCs. This means that even if they COULD make the game more CPU dependent, they run the risk of losing portions of their player base by doing so.

What they CAN and SHOULD do is go over all their maps and ensure they're properly optimized in all areas so that they don't result in random FPS drops, but it doesn't seem like they care all that much. Maybe in a few years time, if Aion is still kicking, a dev will pore over the game code and find something that could improve game performance similar to what happened in GW1, but don't hold your breath.

2 hours ago, Kadeth-KT said:

With 6.0 very close, nothing will change until then performance wise, you can bet. Not worth fixing maps that will be deleted or changed drastically then.

When will 6.0 start, I'd like to know how much time I got with my favourite locations? What maps exactly will be removed (Asmodian)? Morheim, Brusthonin, Norsvold, Kaldor, Levinshor, Altgard? 

4 hours ago, Forgotten-DN said:

This is why your frames will drop precipitously when panning over certain areas or when certain things happen (e.g.: excessive crashing in SFT, when flags drop near you or on top of you in EC).

Thanks. What means "SFT, when flags drop near you or on top of you in EC"? Sorry, I'm not strong in Aion abbreviations.

You can test this yourself. Find a spot where you notice your frame rate drop, then continuously pan your camera back and forth over that area while monitoring your GPU memory usage and temperatures. If you see an activity/temperature spike, your GPU is struggling in that area.

Do you mean to turn 180 deg. and rotate? With which program can I see GPU activity and temperature? So far I've been using Speccy for temperatures.

frames drop to 18-20 only when you are surrounded with many online players (like in central city of Norsvold) because that way works the AION engine game , also you can start GPU-Z program and you can see that in that case when frames are down to 18-20 fps also GPU load is about 40% or lower  (in GPU-Z go to Sensors tab and make window wider) ........ so ...... bad programers of NCSoft...........(the problem is not in your video card)

7 hours ago, HelliosRed-KT said:

Thanks. What means "SFT, when flags drop near you or on top of you in EC"? Sorry, I'm not strong in Aion abbreviations.

Do you mean to turn 180 deg. and rotate? With which program can I see GPU activity and temperature? So far I've been using Speccy for temperatures.

SFT = Smoldering Fire Temple (Kromede's Revenge Event). People have reported getting lots of Send Log errors in that instance and that turning down graphical effects helps to mitigate crashing.

EC = Evergale Canyon. There are actually several spots on this map that cause my frame rate to drop, but one that can be easily reproduced (for me) is by standing near an artifact when it changes faction ownership and watching the conquering faction's flags dropping into place. Usually it's imperceptible, but if a flag drops directly in front of me, I'll see a momentary drop of 10 FPS or so.

It will vary of course. People with better hardware probably won't notice frame rate drops as much as someone with an older machine. And yes, just find a place where you notice frames dropping and just stand and rotate your camera a few times while watching GPU activity. 

Pretty sure AMD supplies its own monitoring software which allows you to see activity levels, but the above mentioned GPU-Z also works well.

On 6/2/2018 at 11:37 PM, HelliosRed-KT said:

When will 6.0 start, I'd like to know how much time I got with my favourite locations? What maps exactly will be removed (Asmodian)? Morheim, Brusthonin, Norsvold, Kaldor, Levinshor, Altgard? 

We don't know yet but, I'm guessing later this year sometime, I say September to November but, we shall see.

Archived