Flight and Falling in General

Emeraldesque-DN

I came out of a windstream in Inggison and fell to get to the ground faster. I suffered instant fatal damage in midair (Which wasn't large enough to be an enemy's attack) and died, to be sent back to my bind point in Sanctum. I believe that I triggered some sort of condition (which I believe to have been falling too long) that triggered a fall-damage handler. I feel that this is a pretty bad way to handle falling, because it allows for completely normal falls to be fatal, and gliding to be the only way down albeit that it's a slow descent. It's pretty useful to fall large distances quickly in some areas, such as Taloc's Forest, which seems to work completely normally, although places like Undirborg (where I died) seem to have killplanes. 

I'd also like to see more places that we can fly! Flying is pretty cool, and it's pretty disappointing to see most of Elyos is fly-restricted. I can see why, though- it does allow to skip most encounters, although that's already possible with good movement and maybe a little bit of Hide. I think more flight places could really open some interesting vistas and new ways to get places faster.

Lastly, I'd like to see Flight Time regenerate faster, especially when you're in an area with Aether nodes (which should be noted is almost everywhere you would be flying), because getting aether is pretty demanding on your economy if you want to do it concisely and quickly (Wind Serum potions) and if you run out, or simply have used most of your time, you need to wait for quite some time to be able to take off again. In a PVP sense, this could end up being problematic, though. Maybe leave it to Fast Track servers?

I'd like to hear others' replies! It's good to have conversations about suggestions like these to further develop the ideas, as well as get the opinion of someone who's experienced PVP and not someone like me, who hasn't been in the abyss more than two hours :)

I think you have ~3-5 seconds of fall time. It seems to be based on the fact that you could fall for a really long time before hitting the "floor" of the Abyss, and so some artificial limiter had to be put in place. But that's just my theory.

A lot of zones are destroyed in the next patch, and aether gathering is gone. I don't know what we have left for flight in 6.0. :(

There's also currently a buff you can get in the upper abyss that gives you functionally unlimited flight time for an hour.

Sorry for little good news there! I am Cheesecake the Kill-Joy. :(

I like to fly much too. I keep my characters with flight time not less than 6 min. Who has wings +15 may have 7:30 without socketing Flight Time manastones, but it's rather expensive. On my alts I mostly socket armor with flight time and don't  care about other stats cause they must sprint good from Vifrost Bridge to Pandemonium Plaza or wherever events are held. I like sprinting too, much more than teleports. I put highest Wind Serums to all my toons and it's bound to a mouse button so I press it comfortably while sprinting and never need any quickbars or keyboard for it. I craft much Wind serum. Good classes for aethertapping are Chanters and Songweavers. Unfortunately other classes are much weaker at flight time restoration and flight speed buff. Archdaeva gear is good, having flight speed in head gear, jacket and pants. Before Archdaevas started, much available gear only had flight speed in jacket OR pants, not both in a set, so I took some jacket from one set and pants from another so they both had flight speed. I never used gear without flight speed in jakets and pants (Modor, Hyperion) and accessories without flight time. There are Greater Raging Wind scrolls but unfortunately only for 5 min. If there exists Axelerox for 30 min, why not make flight speed scrolls for 30 min too? Also, Flight speed scrolls have a very long cooldown 15 sec when you can't use any Running scroll. Why so? It's uncomfortable, it often needs  to have both in effect, cause flight may be changed to gliding or running. Gliding speed is affected by Running scroll, not to Flying one (I saw it in the stats in Profile). 

What is errors, glitches and stupid things that should be corrected: In some areas, for example, Tower of Eternity, I often crash into invisible "walls"  and they appear not only on the edges of the zone that I see on the map, but also in unpredictable places in the middle, not even very high, and what is worst, it folds the windows on my characters and they fall; sometimes there is a flight cooldown and they die. I also suffered much in Aetheric gales - in the area designated for flying quests (campaign about Aether Fragment and prison of Silence) so many times hitting invisible walls, and very hard to soar. I think, flying zones should be wider and much less limited from above. There is no pvp in most of them (except Abyss) so no-one would be "offended" by a flyer's "advantage".

In Upper Abyss, the windstreams are very stupid and harmful: they don't lead to any good places but get you out with a VERY long flight cooldown, so you only glide to mobs or to emptiness until the CD passes. Why were they created so, specially for a hindrance to us?

Glitches often occur to flight speed on mounts. As I get 2 or 4 characters (on 2 PCs) flying together, it happens that their flight speeds turn out different: characters who follow much swing and oscillates, almost hitting the ones who lead and then jumping back, or a character who leads is faster while the one(s) who follow are slower and just stop following! It used to happen on same mounts, and on different ones too. The descriptions to mounts usually say "Flight speed 16.0", as well as when you are on wings with flying speed scroll, it says 16.0, but in fact these speeds have never been same! When I tried to follow on wings after a bike, wings were faster. As  said, mounts used to have different speeds one from another. Sometimes I had a couple flying on bikes evenly, then the 1st one was hit by a mob and got acceleration, then the 2nd could not follow any more. It was especially annoying when they both had taken scintillating cocktails from "Ice Hot" and so they should't log out to "reset" during the buff, cause the 30 min  buff disappears from logging out! :( Later I found a solution. Do you think mounts don't react to flight speed scrolls? Wrong, they do! In a special glitchy way! Sometimes it's possible to equalize speeds of toons by getting off mounts in flight, using flight speed scrolls and getting on mounts again! If I take flight speed scrolls before taking off, it may not help! What is written on your screen, in your profile may be not correct about your speeds at all!   I'd like it to be fixed.

The cooldown for the flight is just an extension to the fact that all the skills in Aion have a CD. But especially in some PvE maps, it's just pointless. I remember being hit with some condition before gliding in Gelkmaros to go in Udas, and falling to the ground. Or tranformed into a statue in Morheim around FT: falling down into the lava (at least that fall was fast, since I was heavy like a stone). Also around the Salintus desert, mobs can hit you while you're flying, so better to kill them before gliding.

I always smile when I come back to Aion from GW2, where there's no cooldown for the gliding, and you can perform a lot of accurate maneuvers to land exactly where you want. Aion is just too old. I hope they will update it a bit though.

Aion also has a famous glitch - when you pass near an obstacle or a wall, it throws you back many times. My friend who played WoW before Aion, complained on this, telling that there was no throwing back in WoW. This glitch also happens sometimes when you're jumping off a precipice, the precipice being an obstacle. Especially it happens on large bikes. And when it happens in the beginning of gliding, it always produces a flight cooldown, so in result you begin to fall and there's no way to save yourself. :(  

On 6/10/2018 at 11:22 PM, KallSu-KT said:

I always smile when I come back to Aion from GW2, where there's no cooldown for the gliding, and you can perform a lot of accurate maneuvers to land exactly where you want. Aion is just too old. I hope they will update it a bit though.

Is flying available in GW2?

• 1 month later...
On 13/6/2018 at 7:10 AM, MetaBlack-KT said:

Is flying available in GW2?

Sorry for the late reply... I didn't check the forum for a while.

Yes, with the 1st expansion you unlock the gliders. Although most of them look like wings, they are gliders. However you can also use updrafts, accelerate/slow down, descent slowly, a bit left/a bit right. You have more control and no cooldown. If you glide for very long distances, you cannot use the "speed" (although it's a minimal additional speed) and must proceed gliding normally for few seconds. But you never fall because you are short on energy. You can also briefly stealth yourself while flying (only in PvE).

Archived