Design Contest

MintyR-DN

I... don't like crimson touch (it is good, though)...but I really don't like the lolita one. I'm not surprised they chose it, but I'm disappointed in the same breath. The rewards were also phenomenally terrible. 50 luna for great costume ideas? 150 for the winner + five copies of their costume? Ouch.

Can't wait for the dump truck of salt when the other entries are posted.

Congratz, Prototype and the other winners! Your works are all nice, even if I don't like the style.

I mean I know I'm biased since I was one of the runner ups but damn even I was disappointed. No hate on the winning design - it was beautiful and very professional - however we have, what, 4 steampunk skins already? In fact I purposefully avoided my original design because it looked too steampunk, something which we already have an abundance of. It's very pretty but in my opinion we just have too many skins like it and the male version silhouette is also very similar to a skin we'll be getting in 6.0.

I wasn't expecting mine to win (and having seen the other runners up, I'm not surprised) but I definitely think either Rakesh or PocoMookie should've won. Their designs were unique and more tailored to the classic Aion skins whereas the Carousel Dress could be submitted to really any game - it doesn't have that Aion feel for me. Just my opinion.

I really like Carousel dress. Vote for winner like @Delicat-KT said would be a contest who has most friends, not best design contest. Some costume does look better in... a painting. Carousel dress's submission over here is very conceptual, it doesn't look to be painted as pretty as it actually would look painted by a better artist. The design is cool and gives me more of porcelain doll - princess kind of vibe rather than steampunk. Just these anime characters on sides- was it part of art or it is it stolen from some anime?

I just wish they actually put this Carousel dress on BCM not just let it be gone like they did with Gothic dress years ago. People work to make skin to game just to instantly let it go extinct.

I mean...that carousel looks quite a bit like skins we already have, just as an example, look at the bolero outfits, same style just different "design" 
I was just expecting something different, more unique than repetitive styles
As for votes, i think there's more people playing than someone has friends over here ;)

9 minutes ago, Delicat-KT said:

I mean...that carousel looks quite a bit like skins we already have, just as an example, look at the bolero outfits, same style just different "design" 

Honestly, I feel like they went this route specifically so they can put as little effort into it as possible.

2 hours ago, Forgotten-DN said:

Honestly, I feel like they went this route specifically so they can put as little effort into it as possible.

3 hours ago, Delicat-KT said:

As for votes, i think there's more people playing than someone has friends over here ;)

Bolero...palentine's(?)...just retexture or w/e and win. Then you only have to worry about the dudes' design.

Tbqh, I don't want a straight-up players' choice vote because some designs just aren't feasible, but it'd be nice to have a Players' Choice award that gives decent rewards. :| 

For those who are now catching up, winning designs were posted here:

http://na.aiononline.com/en/news/announcements/06112018-leave-your-legacy-costume-design-contest-winner.php

I presume amount of effort involved was a factor in the decision though I do wonder once again if for future contests it might be good to have another look at the listed criteria. The document puts a lot of emphasis on originality but the more original things - the stuff that goes outside the box like, for instance, the balloon submission for the wing contest - will require more work from the devs. Perhaps an update on the wording would benefit us all - submissions would be more relevant to what is actually being sought and we'd be less at a risk of spending a lot of time on things that don't quite hit the mark for what is in fact desirable.

'Cause I was -this- close to drawing something that inflates into a pufferfish (you know, those yellow ones from Enshar) in combat just for the sake of originality and only didn't 'cause that'd then be 8 drawings and oof did I not have that kind of time. /o\

It's hard to please everyone obviously, and I might be one of the few who actually loved the winning one. But I'm biased cause I love victorian-ish styled stuff and it's just adorable to me lol Tho to me concept arts are usually prettier than when they turn into the real thing, but looking forward to see how it turns out.

I don't have a problem with the winner it looks fine and deserved it.
However I do agreed every candinate runner up also had a potential to be the winner too.

Anyway if best armor skin I like most in the history of Aion ? :P the answer is primal spirit clothes.

Not sure what the other designs looked like since they just announced the winners, not like on BDO where they actually make a thread and everyone who wants to join the event, needs to post it there. I know some of the winners since I follow them on their social media, so I was happy to see familiar faces, but it's kinda unfortunate that we didn't see all the entries, so I'd like this to change in the future.

The discussion about the variety of costumes is understandable since, yes, we do have a lot of skins already, but I admire the effort of each one of those who sent in an entry. And to me this is all which matters tbh. I also have seen quite a few people who didn't submit their entries and they were amazing. <3

Maybe change the winning rewards for this contest since it's quite terrible? I mean those people were putting in hours of work... and after you make those skins available in-game you'll put them into the BCM and cash in all that money... while you gave out such a terrible winning prize? I hope you get my point. *sighs*

Oh and I think a player voting is a bad idea as already mentioned. I've seen this happening on other MMOs and usually the one having more friends wins and not the design which is actually worth winning BUT posting those entries in a thread would at least who all entries and honor each one of them, don't you think? :3

@Nyali-DN, @Cyan promised us that all the entries will be posted on FB like they did for the wing contest. I'm very much looking to that part as well. I just hope that unlike with the Wing contest, no entries will be lost - there was at least one, done by a legionmate, that never showed up on their FB posts. Still a little bit salty about that.

Just now, Rakesh-DN said:

@Nyali-DN, @Cyan promised us that all the entries will be posted on FB like they did for the wing contest. I'm very much looking to that part as well. I just hope that unlike with the Wing contest, no entries will be lost - there was at least one, done by a legionmate, that never showed up on their FB posts. Still a little bit salty about that.

Thankies for the heads up! I wasn't aware about it, at least this info slipped through my fingers. Also looking forward to it since it would be a shame to never mention the others. A dear friend of mine was sitting on her for quite some time and she was so happy when she got to submit it. I'm really happy for her even though she didn't win, but it was an achivement for her and I'd love others to see her masterpiece. <3 

I do wish NCSoft would be a bit more open like other MMOs for example BDO. They are also very active on social media, where you can submit screenies on a daily bases and they share those with the whole community. I'd be happy to see more of it since this community is soooo creative and have hidden talents. Also @Rakesh-DN congrats and all the other winners, so excited to see your skins in-game since I'm a sucker for skins. <3

2 minutes ago, Spiritknife-DN said:

Unfortunately only the winning design gets made, unlike the wing contest where they had multiple.

Ye... I re-read the whole thing about the event requirements and rewards etc. again since I was confused a little on a few points. Even more upsetting tbh since I have my personal favorites and I wanted to see those in-game too. *sighs*

I'm not going to sugarcoat how much I dislike the winning design. That doesn't make Prototype a bad artist, on the contrary, were this a different game I wouldn't mind so much. But I'm sick of seeing Lolita style outfits in aion constantly, along with "school boy" type designs for men. I'm not a fan of what's happening with the pants on the male design. Not a judgement of the artists skill, again, I'm just not into the "My overalls are falling down" look >< The store has been flooded with the same kind of overtly cute design lately as well, and I just don't understand why the developers have leaned this way with aion when it detracts from everything that once made aion original. The thing that kept me from participating myself was knowing that a Lolita design would ultimately be picked as the winner, and I was right.

Either way, Prototype is a good artist, even if my tastes don't run in the same vein. I wish they received better rewards for their work.

As for the other designs: PocoMookie and Rakesh drew designs that fit the theme of aion's lore. They're powerful and in keeping of the darker aesthetic that has always drawn me to the game. I'm also a huge fan of the design Krypps made due to the fact that it hails back to the centaur mobs up in Brusthonin (The specific name of the mob escapes me at the moment) but I've always like their design and go up there to take a look at them every time I level a new character. I do wish we'd get something like this in game next time.

Archived