Forums

I Just Heard What IMHO Consider an Awful Rumor: There is NO Flying in 6.0?

Aieryn-DN

One of my main reasons for playing Aion is the Flying especially in the Abyss. I was watching a video about 6.0 made by a long time Aion player which stated: "there will be NO flying in 6.0, and that Aion wants to get away from flying anywhere." If this is true I'll quit when 6.0 comes out. Flying in Aion is an important part of the game for me. So is aerial combat. I've spent a lot of money on wings and resources for flying on all of my characters. Before hearing of this, I never thought anything would make me give up Aion, but if 6.0 kills our ability to Fly in the Abyss or say, Dragonrest in Enshar where I base my level 60+ Asmodian characters it will be goodbye for me.  :(

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Aieryn-DN said:

I've spent a lot of money on wings and resources for flying on all of my characters.

o_O Wings give you stats other than flight time nowadays so um. Unless you meant a lake of wind serums.

Anyway!

Flying as a thing your character is able to do stays. Upper and Lower Abyss are going away. So in effect, flying is 'going away' in the sense that nothing terribly important is going to be done while in air. So if you just enjoy fluttering around Dragonrest or some other spots you're okay. If you enjoyed being too far from your target in Abyss, then unfortunately that's gone in 6.x.

Taking away the Abyss will ruin the story as well. At least for me anyway as Story Content is also an important part for me in any game. And yes, I do enjoy fluttering around Dragonrest. However, according to the video I saw Aion wants to get away from flying altogether and that with 6.0 there will be no more flying zones. So in effect, that statement leads one to believe even my "fluttering" around Dragonrest is in danger of non-existence. In addition, both Atgard and Morheim are being taken away again killing the story for me. Aion then will be a game like Dauntless, No story at all just combat. I can get combat anywhere in other games that will have a story including one where you can still fly anywhere in it.

Also, if you can't fly anywhere, your not really a Daeva anymore. Why are you doing this Aion??

So in short, if the above is Aion's future I will be leaving once 6.0 arrives.

Sarpan, Tiamaranta, Katalam, Danaria, Verteron, Eltnen, Theobomos, Illuma, Altgard, Morheim, Brusthonin, Norsvold, and no more flying. It's like NCSoft is working their hardest to delete and kill the entire game. At this point you might as well host private server ads on your main website for a game more complete than the official servers.

34 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

Sarpan, Tiamaranta, Katalam, Danaria, Verteron, Eltnen, Theobomos, Illuma, Altgard, Morheim, Brusthonin, Norsvold, and no more flying. It's like NCSoft is working their hardest to delete and kill the entire game. At this point you might as well host private server ads on your main website for a game more complete than the official servers.

They're not killing the game by deleting useless things. We don't need most of our maps as well as current quests. Okay memories, good for us we still remember Sarpan, but that map was dead after 4.0 as well, just like Tiamaranta, we only did our kahrun farm there. They reworking the game so not only 10-20 player gonna be on those maps where we level at lower lvls. And we gonna get back the Katalam/Danaria vibes with the new map anyway. About the flying thing, you can argue with Ereshkigal, because we lose upper and lower abyss not the flying ability.

1 minute ago, Thiara-DN said:

They're not killing the game by deleting useless things. We don't need most of our maps as well as current quests. Okay memories, good for us we still remember Sarpan, but that map was dead after 4.0 as well, just like Tiamaranta, we only did our kahrun farm there. They reworking the game so not only 10-20 player gonna be on those maps where we level at lower lvls. And we gonna get back the Katalam/Danaria vibes with the new map anyway. About the flying thing, you can argue with Ereshkigal, because we lose upper and lower abyss not the flying ability.

They might be useless at end game but the beauty of an MMORPG is that you slowly level up through your journey to max level. Without those maps it would be like getting a free max level character to play on one map for your entire game, which would be boring as crap. It's no longer than MMORPG like this.

Am I the only one who doesn't care for leveling slowly after playing at launch? It's 2018; probably most MMO players don't want to do a grindfest anymore because we've all gotten older and busier, while younger people aren't getting into MMOs, let alone grindy ones. Younger people (and older) are getting into instant games like OW and Fortnite. You can pick them up, play a bit, and then go back to RL things without being massively behind.

NCsoft made a lot of these changes to try to attract the f2p MMO crowd, and they had to simplify a game with too much wasted space and confusing mechanics that'd otherwise drive nonhardcore players away. 5.X was all about milking old players. There was little new player friendly things in it. 6.0 is/was an attempt to get new players (who probably aren't jaded about the game after all the bullshit that's been 5.X). Content for it is also coming out fast in Korea. They're already getting 6.5 after 6.0 came out in, what, January? Even though we're late, we're probably going to start with 6.2 like EU. We'll be one major patch behind.

The story changes. Maybe it'll suck. Maybe the new leveling story will be cool. Maybe it'll be better. Maybe it'll suck. The removed maps aren't what I have a problem with. 

8 minutes ago, Cheesecake-DN said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care for leveling slowly after playing at launch? It's 2018; probably most MMO players don't want to do a grindfest anymore because we've all gotten older and busier, while younger people aren't getting into MMOs, let alone grindy ones. Younger people (and older) are getting into instant games like OW and Fortnite. You can pick them up, play a bit, and then go back to RL things without being massively behind.

NCsoft made a lot of these changes to try to attract the f2p MMO crowd, and they had to simplify a game with too much wasted space and confusing mechanics that'd otherwise drive nonhardcore players away. 5.X was all about milking old players. There was little new player friendly things in it. 6.0 is/was an attempt to get new players (who probably aren't jaded about the game after all the bullshit that's been 5.X). Content for it is also coming out fast in Korea. They're already getting 6.5 after 6.0 came out in, what, January? Even though we're late, we're probably going to start with 6.2 like EU. We'll be one major patch behind.

The story changes. Maybe it'll suck. Maybe the new leveling story will be cool. Maybe it'll be better. Maybe it'll suck. The removed maps aren't what I have a problem with. 

Pure PvPers will like it for sure, but PvEers or people who enjoy a mix of both will find the game stale and boring now after being rushed to end game. It'll just be spam the same old dungeon every day and same sieges and PvP every day again. What makes slow leveling fun is that you get to do a variety of instances and see many different environment before you finally reach the grindfest.

The only thing they are doing now is getting all the old players to leave. This game is more than a decade old already. New players won't suddenly start swarming a decade old game. If people like non-leveling game play, they would have played Fortnite instead of some donkey years old game. They're only losing players.

The game should have focused on retaining its playerbase instead of trying to attract new players who aren't interested anyway.

11 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

What makes slow leveling fun is that you get to do a variety of instances and see many different environment before you finally reach the grindfest.

The only thing they are doing now is getting all the old players to leave. This game is more than a decade old already. New players won't suddenly start swarming a decade old game. They're only losing players.

Realistically speaking though, what percentage of total players enjoy the "slow leveling" mentality? Certainly not enough for them to justify keeping the game as it is, otherwise they wouldn't have resorted to the drastic changes made in 6.x

In any case, the game suffered from poor pacing when it was launched, which is why there needed to be so many maps to add "variety" to the grind. Now that the grind is being removed, it should come as no surprise that any redundancies are being removed as well.

I'm not criticizing your disdain for change, but I do think you're jumping the gun a bit. Just because changes are being made to the game doesn't mean the leveling experience will be less enjoyable than how you remembered it from the past. Maybe take off your rose-tinted glasses and wait to see what it's like before nay-saying it.

16 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

The game should have focused on retaining its playerbase instead of trying to attract new players who aren't interested anyway.

That's what 5.0 was supposed to do...and look how that worked out for them lol

1 minute ago, Forgotten-DN said:

Realistically speaking though, what percentage of total players enjoy the "slow leveling" mentality? Certainly not enough for them to justify keeping the game as it is, otherwise they wouldn't have resorted to the drastic changes made in 6.x

In any case, the game suffered from poor pacing when it was launched, which is why there needed to be so many maps to add "variety" to the grind. Now that the grind is being removed, it should come as no surprise that any redundancies are being removed as well.

I'm not criticizing your disdain for change, but I do think you're jumping the gun a bit. Just because changes are being made to the game doesn't mean the leveling experience will be less enjoyable than how you remembered it from the past. Maybe take off your rose-tinted glasses and wait to see what it's like before nay-saying it.

That's what 5.0 was supposed to do...and look how that worked out for them lol

It is still content that some people love. By removing that, you are permanently losing that playerbase. What harm is there to just keep them in the game as side content? And with them removing so many maps and adding only one map, I don't see how the game will become more enjoyable. Leveling will be more boring because there are less variety of maps, so you pretty much jump right away to end game and grind the same old things over and over again.

5.0's failure was to be expected given how much P2W they added to the game. First they started with unlimited upgradable plume, then stigmas, then unlimited enchantable gears and then empyrean bracelet. It was already bad enough with plumes and look how far they went. It was P2W that killed the game, and now lack of content will kill the game even further.

Yeah and, I like mountain man and pre 1860 native crafts, lifestyle and all but, that doesn't mean I want it back world wide, full time. Maybe the old maps can be used occasionally for event maps, a camping weekend with raids, PvP and rewards on an old map or something.

6 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

And with them removing so many maps and adding only one map, I don't see how the game will become more enjoyable. Leveling will be more boring because there are less variety of maps, so you pretty much jump right away to end game and grind the same old things over and over again.

But you don't know that, you're just making an assumption based off what you think you like now. 

6 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

What harm is there to just keep them in the game as side content?

Usually, the harm is dividing the player base by having too many players spread out over too many maps as opposed to concentrating on end-game. This wouldn't be a huge issue if Aion were strictly PvE, but it's not. You need to concentrate a majority of the player base into a select few zones in order to keep it thriving.

It took me 5-6 weeks or so grinding 8+ hours a day every day to get my first 50 because 30-38 took forever due to twinks (I did 38-45 faster; remember what that was like?), few people were running SR at the time who would take new players, and the level up instances were either stupid hard or unrewarding. I ran FT 84 times (I kept track) to get the polearm for a friend. Never saw a staff or warhammer. Alquimia and Indratu(?) would massacre players. Azoturan was required for one of your campaigns, and it was stupid hard. DP was stupid hard, and people wouldn't take new players, even for lower rank runs. The first people who downed S rank in NA all got banned for hacking. It took forever to get even blue gear, let alone a full set of gold. Did you ever farm platinum coins for that gear set? I did. It sucked. That whole era sucked. Nostalgia is a nice thing, but it really, really, really sucked. It was painful and boring and all around shitty, and I freaking loved the game because ooshiny.

Things improved over during 2.X, 3.X, and 4.X in the slow leveling department, but by 4.X it was apparent the low level maps were dead. There was no rhyme nor reason to them. New players just got lost and confused trying to navigate them, and they're huge maps, too. 5.X made it even worse with the low level maps. "How do I/where do I go/wut do/pls halp" is super common in 5.X, and not just because of how complicated 5.X is.

5.X is 1.5 remastered with P2W thrown in for good measure. Until 5.6/8, it was stupidly painful to get 75. How many people will never look at Fissure ever again? 1.X was all about grinding the same stupid things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again to level. (I did...Asteria repeatable quest at 45, Miren/Krotan/Kysis repeatable quest [which were capped at 200 times each, and I almost capped out Miren and Kysis] at 38, repeatable quests in Brusthonin, FT, Alquimia, SR, NTC...) and 5.X has been more of the same. Many of the people I've helped get to 66+ leave the game because it gets too demanding. Others left because they couldn't navigate the world while leveling because it was so big and they got lost.

Those particular huge maps made a lot more sense when you had PvPvE going on, but they especially don't now.

Don't panic just yet. You don't know how this will affect people. I don't; you don't. None of us do. I think it's a good change. You don't.

Let's just wait for the nyerking launch instead of making opinions based on random posts, shall we? After the launch everyone can decide wether they like it or na. It's not like complaining on NCwest's forum gonna change anything major.

9 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

It was P2W that killed the game, and now lack of content will kill the game even further.

P2W keeps the game alive. Aion is a game, but it's a business too. They got rid of pay-to-play system, but they had to make profit somehow so they don't need to shut down the servers. With only cosmetics they wouldn't make enough.

1 minute ago, Forgotten-DN said:

But you don't know that, you're just making an assumption based off what you think you like now. 

Usually, the harm is dividing the player base by having too many players spread out over too many maps as opposed to concentrating on end-game. This wouldn't be a huge issue if Aion were strictly PvE, but it's not. You need to concentrate a majority of the player base into a select few zones in order to keep it thriving.

Players who like side contents will eventually get to end game. If you kill off this playerbase, they will never get to end game and you'll have less player at end game anyway.

You keep saying it's just an assumption, but it's pretty obvious killing the original game old players loved isn't going to make them love the game even more. You just destroyed someone's favorite game.

I guess it's just a difference of preference of being told what to do compared to having the freedom to choose what to do. You don't feel anything about losing the original game because you belong to the first group. But I can be sure that people like me in the second group will be quitting and that's how the game is going to die off.

9 minutes ago, Thiara-DN said:

Let's just wait for the nyerking launch instead of making opinions based on random posts, shall we? After the launch everyone can decide wether they like it or na. It's not like complaining on NCwest's forum gonna change anything major.

P2W keeps the game alive. Aion is a game, but it's a business too. They got rid of pay-to-play system, but they had to make profit somehow so they don't need to shut down the servers. With only cosmetics they wouldn't make enough.

A little P2W is fine, but it's currently way overboard. Sure you have a few players spending thousands of dollars, but if there is no playerbase they will get bored and leave as well.

Honestly, I'm still trying to decide which toon to send all future not tradeable skins and stuff to. Not to mention how this one characters gonna stash all this stuff. Of all the changes in store, this non tradeable everything stuff irks me the most. Dont really care about the other changes, other than wanting to just experience them and get over with already. (F*ck Godstones though, good riddance.)

Cherish the memories, move on. Be thankful we still have an Aion to play at all tbh. Or have you not noticed how much of an afterthought we've become? (Well, more so than ever before anyways.)

I mean we're the only region thats still not received official news regarding 6.0. Even gameforge has been hinting at it. The only ones bringing us news have been other players.  Where are our official hints? Our official previews? Heck, are we even getting it?!?

*Plot twist* Instead of offical 6.0 news, we get pending shutdown news.

It could happen. So I wouldnt worry so much about old mechanics and locales no one uses. Theres potentially far more to lose than that. Things could always be worse.

The flying is the main issue for me. Yes, I do love my side quests and large maps even early game. And, if I can still Fly in all the major cities ie: Enshar, Cygnea, etc., And still glide when able to, I may stay and give 6.0 a try. However, I'll still be greatly saddened by the major loss Aion's story will suffer by no Abyss and the loss of early game cities like Attgard and Morheim. Honestly I think some of the snowfields in these areas are beautiful. Also, I'm a person that tends to get bored easily so having only 1 or two maps to level up in will wear thin on me quickly. Especially if there isn't anything new in these areas they are keeping which I've seen all parts of them already.

However as I've already stated here, the main point of my post was the Flying going away.

What I can't figure out is why they didn't just address the leveling issue a bit and leave our maps and places we love alone. I too prefer a choice to how I level as I'm not of a "follower mentality." And if they are going to take away the Abyss, why not then just let us Fly everywhere within the maps we will have left?? If they did that i could see staying with the game, and even be a lil excited about 6.0 as I'll enjoy my exploring more from the air. What they are doing just makes no sense to me and like I've saw a few others have said: it seems to me they are trying to drive us older longtime players away in favor of new younger players who will never flock to an 8 or 9 year old game anyways.

2 hours ago, Aieryn-DN said:

I'm a person that tends to get bored easily so having only 1 or two maps to level up in will wear thin on me quickly. Especially if there isn't anything new in these areas they are keeping which I've seen all parts of them already.

I feel exactly the same. When I first heard about the number of maps they were removing I was nothing short of horrified. What really sent me reeling was when I discovered we would be spending two-thirds of our time leveling from 11 - 40 on a single map. I can see why so many new players don't mind the idea of skipping straight to endgame content when the alternative looks so bleak.

2 hours ago, Aieryn-DN said:

If they are going to take away the Abyss, why not then just let us Fly everywhere within the maps we will have left?? If they did that i could see staying with the game, and even be a lil excited about 6.0 as I'll enjoy my exploring more from the air.

Honestly, I would feel a whole lot better if that were the case. When you first become a daeva the greatest gift you receive is the ability of flight. Now I'm afraid they are treating flight the same way they treated asmo's claws and manes. :/

Unfortunately, it's true.

6.0+ almost completely eliminates flying from the game. You will be limited to the tiny zones around cities in Herion/Beluslan and Cygena/Enshar.

• Flight time is no longer a gear stat
  • Flight time potions can no longer be made or acquired.
  • No more flight scrolls.
  • All flight time related skills are removed. (Wing Clip, Swiftwing, Soaring Sonnet, ect)

Soooo I guess "Re-fly" is Korean for "You Can't Fly".

1 hour ago, Azeriah-KT said:

I feel exactly the same. When I first heard about the number of maps they were removing I was nothing short of horrified. What really sent me reeling was when I discovered we would be spending two-thirds of our time leveling from 11 - 40 on a single map. I can see why so many new players don't mind the idea of skipping straight to endgame content when the alternative looks so bleak.

Honestly, I would feel a whole lot better if that were the case. When you first become a daeva the greatest gift you receive is the ability of flight. Now I'm afraid they are treating flight the same way they treated asmo's claws and manes. :/

It's nice to know others feel as I do about this. Thank you Azeriah.

Archived