Forums

I Just Heard What IMHO Consider an Awful Rumor: There is NO Flying in 6.0?

Aieryn-DN

Other then the Abyss what other area in the game did we spend any significant amount of time in Flight. Flight map in Arena is still a thing, Gelkmaros Canyon is still a flight zone, so is Alukina's Palace. Outside of gathering Aether or the Abyss there never was any significant use for flight. The real benefit of wings has always been gliding imo. The new Zone has many wind streams and canyons and valleys where gliding is still useful.

13 minutes ago, Shaidessa-KT said:

Unfortunately, it's true.

6.0+ almost completely eliminates flying from the game. You will be limited to the tiny zones around cities in Herion/Beluslan and Cygena/Enshar.

• Flight time is no longer a gear stat
  • Flight time potions can no longer be made or acquired.
  • No more flight scrolls.
  • All flight time related skills are removed. (Wing Clip, Swiftwing, Soaring Sonnet, ect)

Soooo I guess "Re-fly" is Korean for "You Can't Fly".

You can purchase Wind Serums from the regular potion shop. Flight time/speed are both stats you gain from enchanting wings.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also appreciate all of your replies and respect all of your opinions. Even the ones that do not necessarily agree with mine. 

Al you can probably guess, Asmodians are my favorite. I do play Elyos too tho so I could get both sides of the story, and enjoy playing them as well. In the beginning I loved the diversity of Asmodians having claws and manes (They still have their manes tho tamed somewhat, and some Asmo NPC's still have their claws in older areas) it made them unique. I remember how saddened I was when the claws were taken away. However I knew I'd eventually get over it and move on. These changes though are way more devastating to the overall game and it's storyline. The game will not be whole without these places.

And, the idea of spending 40+ levels on one map coming from what we have now will give the game a "hollow feeling" sort of like a huge chunk of it has been amputated.

I know I'll never risk enchanting wings. They are too expensive to risk a failed attempt and their being destroyed. Not unless they will be eliminating the risk of loss of the item if the enchantment fails.

Since it seems my fears about the loss of flying in 6.0 are true. They can take their time about releasing 6.0 here in the US. I'm in no hurry to have my favorite game destroyed.

In addition I will halt all spending of any more money on Aion as of now for both myself and my daughter who also plays. I can't see putting another dime into a game I'll probably be leaving or at the very least will play only once in a while. Aion up until now has been my main game. Its nothing for me to spend hours playing daily (I'm disabled). Oh well.....

I just noticed how many people hate changes in the game. It’s rather bizarre, in my years of experience in gaming (especially in mmorpgs), change is necessary, whether good or bad, to keep the game fresh and attract new people.

Whether you will like 6.0 or not is very individual and subjective at this point, the patch did help boost Aion in Korea, and comparing to how they stood with 5.8, the results are definitely better. Just because some maps are removed doesn’t mean the game is different, it’s not like you’re spending on those old maps on a daily basis unless it’s for nostalgic purposes.

11 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

I just noticed how many people hate changes in the game. It’s rather bizarre, in my years of experience in gaming (especially in mmorpgs), change is necessary, whether good or bad, to keep the game fresh and attract new people.

I agree with you. However they could have changed Aion for the better without sacrificing the game's story or our ability to fly. What is proposed for 6.0 will destroy Aion's story as well as stagnate what is left of it.

Just now, Aieryn-DN said:

I agree with you. However they could have changed Aion for the better without sacrificing the game's story or our ability to fly. What is proposed for 6.0 will destroy Aion's story as well as stagnate what is left of it.

Unless people start understanding that NCSoft had almost no choice, they will always think the same way. People need to stop crying about the past and try to enjoy the present so in the future they can have more memories to cherish. If the game ever shuts down, then you can be truly sad about it.

I liked 6.0 in Korea because I approached it like a new player with a fresh mind, if you and others try that approach, the nostalgic pain will be lesser. 

From my experience at 6.0 KR launch (yes I played KR servers) the leveling went by in a blur. Hitting 80 took 3 days of what I, as someone who has little spare time most days, consider casual play. That was 6.0 at launch, and I haven't gone back to it since but I'm pretty sure the leveling is just as quick. There were a good many different Campaigns, and some areas of the maps have been quite reworked and changed, but overall leveling was a total breeze. It felt extremely rushed throughout. 

6 hours ago, Aieryn-DN said:

I know I'll never risk enchanting wings. They are too expensive to risk a failed attempt and their being destroyed. Not unless they will be eliminating the risk of loss of the item if the enchantment fails.

In 6.x failing an enchantment drops the enchantment level, it doesn't destroy the item. You're being overly dramatic. :P Gliding is still everywhere, small flying spots remain, wind serums are extremely cheap at the general store vendor (and they only left the best serums in, too). The story has been rewritten, that is true, but they did keep a lot of the cool cutscenes and the narrative is compressed in a manner that allows newer players to follow pretty smoothly instead of wondering about weird gaps caused by previous attempts at rewriting. There is less side quest stuff and I do miss the little flourishes there as well, but at the same time less side content means there won't be the issue of players doing things in a strange order and then finding themselves very confused about where to proceed, which is currently something that comes up in lfg pretty regularly. I do wish Lakrum was more colorful though - visually reminds me of Gelk, very foresty.

22 hours ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

Wow... truly goodbye to the game on official servers then. Seriously, what is wrong with them? They keep ruining the game past 4.7.

why do i get a feeling that your primary goal here is to influence people into believing that the game sucks and that they too also need to leave. sorry but you are a sad person full of negativity. if you want to go. just GO already.

2 hours ago, Nitro-KT said:

why do i get a feeling that your primary goal here is to influence people into believing that the game sucks and that they too also need to leave. sorry but you are a sad person full of negativity. if you want to go. just GO already.

Because I know it will suck. The way I've enjoyed playing the game and all the quests I loved doing will be utterly destroyed. Adding one map won't do anything to save that.

Pure PvPers like you who just do PvP don't even care if they put you in a square room to PvP for the entire game, so you wouldn't care if they deleted the whole game anyway.

I will definitely leave, once these maps are removed, and will never look back at the official servers again, because this won't be Aion anymore. It'll just be a fan-made mod to me.

2 hours ago, Nitro-KT said:

I mean, I know very well how I felt when they deleted Tiamaranta and Sarpan, as well as Katalam and Danaria. And I know it's not a fun feeling knowing I will never get to experience those maps here again. It's not just a belief that the game will suck. The game has sucked for me ever since they removed 2 major expansions, so of course it will suck even more if they remove the original game. It's just dumb to think that 6.0 will suddenly change my mind about deleted maps.

39 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

Pure PvPers like you who just do PvP don't even care if they put you in a square room to PvP for the entire game, so you wouldn't care if they deleted the whole game anyway.

Okay, could you perhaps not make sweeping assumptions that someone cannot appreciated aesthetics just because they are able to let things go? Refreshing the design space is just normal for any game with a long lifespan. In fact, with 6.x they've trimmed it down so far I'm kind of curious to see what will be added to it in the future.

1 minute ago, Rakesh-DN said:

Okay, could you perhaps not make sweeping assumptions that someone cannot appreciated aesthetics just because they are able to let things go? Refreshing the design space is just normal for any game with a long lifespan. In fact, with 6.x they've trimmed it down so far I'm kind of curious to see what will be added to it in the future.

It's easy to let things go if you enjoy being told what to do and which map to go. But everyone is different. I don't like being forced into one map with nothing to do but the same things over and over again. Back in 4.0, even while doing Katalam and Danaria, I could take a breather and do some Sarpan and Tiamaranta quests. Now you're stuck in the new map with nothing else to do because someone decided that the game doesn't need side content.

I play on my Main and that's it. The Level Grind when I started was way too much to go through it twice. With 6.x, on the other hand, I will play at least one other char, and maybe two others. I'm looking forward to it and it's going to be fun.

Oh, right, this is a thread about flying.....

I have 42 Manastone: Maximum Flight Time +7 and you are telling me they're junk now? No!!!!!!!!!!

MayBlue (Ranger for life and in 6.x oh, maybe.....Chanter? Spirit Master? or both! Oh, yeah!)

On 8/26/2018 at 7:49 AM, Rakesh-DN said:

with 6.x they've trimmed it down so far I'm kind of curious to see what will be added to it in the future.

This is a really, really good point that shouldn't be ignored in the mass of this thread. By trimming down all of these unused maps, that gives NCsoft room to add new maps in future patches (assuming the game survives that long).

46 minutes ago, Vantheria-DN said:

This is a really, really good point that shouldn't be ignored in the mass of this thread. By trimming down all of these unused maps, that gives NCsoft room to add new maps in future patches (assuming the game survives that long).

Not to mention it gives them the opportunity to (temporarily) bring removed maps or instances back as event versions, like they did with Tia Eye (putting the incredibly poor handling of that aside for a moment). If we are in late 6.X and get the opportunity to run an event Adma or revisit (part of) Katalam/Danaria you just know it'll cause a massive player surge. Good for when the game needs a little boost.

56 minutes ago, MayBlue-DN said:

Let's hope Aion adds a flying fortress siege in 6.? one day.

Silona in Danaria was fun:

DDlYCgT.png

Yes, this would be a positive thing.

As I've said before, as long as I'll still be able to fly in areas like Enshar/Cygnea, etc. I might stay and give 6.0 a try. However, I can see myself getting awfully bored with the One map thing. So in order to keep players like me interested They'll need to add more maps so we don't get bored. In addition nearly all 8 of my characters are level 65+ now. And by the time 6.0 releases my Two characters that aren't above 65 will be-one, my Ranger is approaching 65 now and my Gunslinger isn't that far behind her. So being I'm at my character limit, I probably won't even see the new beginning map at all. Unless a high level quest gives a reason to visit it.

5 hours ago, Rohanna-KT said:

Flying?  It was a useless skill.  It should have been made so that you could fly anywhere and everywhere, instead of in special zones and the Abyss.

I'm not thrilled with a lot of the changes that are coming, but I'll reserve my final judgment after playing a little 6.0.

The only ppl. with this attitude just weren't any good at flying or aerial combat. I myself am very good at it and greatly enjoy it (My real life career was in aeronautics before I became disabled, and I still hold a multi-engine Turbine qualified license)> I'm actually more comfortable in the air than on the ground.

6 hours ago, MayBlue-DN said:

Let's hope Aion adds a flying fortress siege in 6.? one day.

Silona in Danaria was fun:

Or you know, like just bring back 4.0 forts...? Why did they even choose to delete 4.0 forts instead of Abyss? 4.0 forts were the greatest fun I ever had in the game.

On 25/08/2018 at 10:21 AM, Cheesecake-DN said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care for leveling slowly after playing at launch? It's 2018; probably most MMO players don't want to do a grindfest anymore because we've all gotten older and busier, while younger people aren't getting into MMOs, let alone grindy ones. Younger people (and older) are getting into instant games like OW and Fortnite. You can pick them up, play a bit, and then go back to RL things without being massively behind.

NCsoft made a lot of these changes to try to attract the f2p MMO crowd, and they had to simplify a game with too much wasted space and confusing mechanics that'd otherwise drive nonhardcore players away. 5.X was all about milking old players. There was little new player friendly things in it. 6.0 is/was an attempt to get new players (who probably aren't jaded about the game after all the bullshit that's been 5.X). Content for it is also coming out fast in Korea. They're already getting 6.5 after 6.0 came out in, what, January? Even though we're late, we're probably going to start with 6.2 like EU. We'll be one major patch behind.

The story changes. Maybe it'll suck. Maybe the new leveling story will be cool. Maybe it'll be better. Maybe it'll suck. The removed maps aren't what I have a problem with. 

logged in only to give you a big like

I think the OP is overreacting and freaking on a necessary thing that NCsoft need to do to keep this game understandable for newbies. 

Also, this won't affect the game history (lorewise) because they gave lots of lore and content to justify the old maps removal. (Okay, I agree that this part of the lore sucks, but at least they tried to explain.)

Also, let me add: flying sucks. Its just beautiful and was amazing back in time, but should be limited to PVE content only or removed like they're doing on 6.x patches. 

36 minutes ago, Sunix-DN said:

to keep this game understandable for newbies. 

Lol what? They're doing the exact opposite. Have you actually read quest dialogues after they did the campaign revamp and changed NPC requirements? Important lore information are missing all over the place (Like Israphel appearing at Karamatis and then you get teleported out right after without a chance to speak with him. Then Fasimedes calls him Lephar out of nowhere.). And NPC dialogues don't make sense after they change the NPC you need to talk to (>>Talks to Fasimedes after completing Aethertapping Expert quest. "Who dares interrupt the rest of the High Priest of Mirage?" http://aiondatabase.net/us/quest/19003/ )

As someone who has done all these quests before, I can understand, but newbies will go WTF? What's even going on?

The more they update the quests the more they break them.

And soon we'll have hardly any lore to tell for newbies to understand.

42 minutes ago, Sunix-DN said:

...to justify the old maps removal. (Okay, I agree that this part of the lore sucks, but at least they tried to explain.)

In this part, did you mean that it sucks as in bad or that its depressing? :P Because, honestly, out of all "bandaid lore" resorts used in the past, 6.0 was the best one ever carried out.

13 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

The more they update the quests the more they break them.

...Which is exactly the thing they are avoiding. They are revamping THE WHOLE levelling story so its easier to understand. They are trying to avoid what happened before with the "new" and "old" campaigns back in... I think 4.7? The exact problems you are talking about are the same problems they are trying to fix with the update that you are so much against.

Why do you think Aethertechs had an entire different questline? The surging of the class is based solely on post 4.0 events. Instead of trying to fit Aethertechs into the "old story", they got a whole new one, and it worked (for a while).

Tell me something, since you are so adamant about not letting the old story go and having old zones back. How would you explain to a new/returning player the return and sudden ressurection of all NPCs that died during 4.8? How would you explain to them how Enshar and Cygnea are up on sea level despite Katalam and Reian regions still being around? How would you explain the resentment against Ereshkigal with our world mostly intact? You would have to do all this without making it overly complicated and appealing to read.

Archived