Forums

Most Wanted/Needed class. 5.8/6.0

GenericUser14716

Hey guys so i'm a returning player. I played through vanilla till about 4.0 and decided to quit the game due to p2w. Lately I've acquired a lot of free time and a new PC so i'm deciding to give the ol Aion another go. I love to PVE and PVP but i'm more on the PVE spectrum. If i remember correctly back then Clerics were the most wanted/needed class for everything. I never had to worry about finding a group because everyone was always in search of one. But now i want to switch things up. I know that DPS classes are still the least sought after mainly because there's so much of them running around. So i just want to know about Tanks and supports classes like the Chanter. Out of these classes which one is more likely to find a PUG. Or even a small committed group looking to clear instances and what not whenever available? 

Please be nice to me because it's been years since i've even played this game so i have no idea whats what anymore. Thanks ahead of time! I greatly appreciate the help!

Clerics are still kings of healing.  In 6.x clerics cannot die but i think they have difficulties killing in pvp.  Always needed in any instance.  As of right now, you can have an almost full party of clerics and you will still do fairly good dmg so competition for instances is not as fierce.  No idea what will happen in 6.x though

Templars right now are monsters.  In 6.x they might not be as many of their skill dmg have been reduced.  Nowadays maybe not as needed as before except in really difficult dungeons

ATs can be considered as off- tanks so you might consider this class. Very useful in instances where you have alot of rubbish mobs eg, Fallen Poeta

SW can be support and in 6.x their skill sets seem to be more support than dmg.  They are attractive in instances since they can heal, cc, dmg and give mana.  Only issue is that there is usually a huge number of players who are SW.

Chanters seem to shine in 6.x as the class has been somewhat re-worked.  They still have lower dps though but much tougher than before. I find that chanters also have alot of competition in getting into instances since a group doesnt usually invite more than 1 chanter.  This is due to their lower dps and mantras don't stack.  They do make the group stronger and tougher but you only need 1 chanter to do that.

5 hours ago, Xoth-DN said:

Clerics are still kings of healing.  In 6.x clerics cannot die but i think they have difficulties killing in pvp.  Always needed in any instance.  As of right now, you can have an almost full party of clerics and you will still do fairly good dmg so competition for instances is not as fierce.  No idea what will happen in 6.x though

Templars right now are monsters.  In 6.x they might not be as many of their skill dmg have been reduced.  Nowadays maybe not as needed as before except in really difficult dungeons

ATs can be considered as off- tanks so you might consider this class. Very useful in instances where you have alot of rubbish mobs eg, Fallen Poeta

SW can be support and in 6.x their skill sets seem to be more support than dmg.  They are attractive in instances since they can heal, cc, dmg and give mana.  Only issue is that there is usually a huge number of players who are SW.

Chanters seem to shine in 6.x as the class has been somewhat re-worked.  They still have lower dps though but much tougher than before. I find that chanters also have alot of competition in getting into instances since a group doesnt usually invite more than 1 chanter.  This is due to their lower dps and mantras don't stack.  They do make the group stronger and tougher but you only need 1 chanter to do that.

Agree with all of this. On chanters, it's no big deal if you are somewhat well known and at least semi know what you're doing. People will take you over a different chanter. You'll be a crap carry in levels 66-72 though; that's just because of the chanter's low dps. Gets much more fun in endgame.

But back to your question about dps classes. Currently, sins, glads, and sorcs are dps kings. In 6.0, sins are nerfed a bit as are sorcs (to a lesser extent). However, glads become even more op than they already are.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, 5s11D958-DN said:

is that wind buff that makes u insane fast still loved?

Do you mean Wind Mantra? ch_chant_windywings_g1.png

If so, it's rarely used. Pretty much only in flying sieges, and some don't even use it then. Furthermore, it is removed next week when we get 6.2.

Or do you mean Swiftwing? cbt_ch_chant_improvedfly_g1.png

Pretty much the same comment as Wind Mantra. It's also removed in 6.2.

This question is asked a lot on the forums and really the answer is simple.. play what you like.

If you like to heal and don't mind always being asked to heal.. take up cleric. But a good tank is worth their price in gold. Any dps character, played well and geared properly, is going to be a huge asset to any group. Chanters are amazing. Songweavers are equally amazing. Depends what you want to do and how you like to play. There really are no wrong answers. Since you can level to 65ish pretty easily right now, why not try out a bunch of classes? Leveling in 6.x is going to be a million times easier. You can make 80 in a day, if you push yourself. So you can try everything that looks appealing now and start over in 6.x or continue with one of your test characters.

All that being said, personally I would stir clear of gunner or AT, unless you really really like the look of the class. 

1 hour ago, Vantheria-DN said:

Do you mean Wind Mantra? ch_chant_windywings_g1.png

If so, it's rarely used. Pretty much only in flying sieges, and some don't even use it then. Furthermore, it is removed next week when we get 6.2.

Or do you mean Swiftwing? cbt_ch_chant_improvedfly_g1.png

Pretty much the same comment as Wind Mantra. It's also removed in 6.2.

no not that... the one u gotta eat a certain item to use it and has a huge cool down... not mantra a buff... 

WoW (word of wind)? Yeah. That's stays.

It's been a long while for you, Pre-merge Name Guy/Girl. The game is free to play. Go on ahead and step in and take a look around at the changes that have already happened before we get the new patch in a week or so. No harm in that. No need to worry about anything until you are sure you want to try the game again.

5 hours ago, Aly-DN said:

WoW (word of wind)? Yeah. That's stays.

It's been a long while for you, Pre-merge Name Guy/Girl. The game is free to play. Go on ahead and step in and take a look around at the changes that have already happened before we get the new patch in a week or so. No harm in that. No need to worry about anything until you are sure you want to try the game again.

yes yes that one... thanks for the warm welcome...  i am setting it up at the moment to look around... cant wait for new Chanter next week..

Archived