Forums

are returning/new players screwed on 6.2?

OnyXm-KT

Just asking the question as it appears NA are not making new servers (can't blame them really) but how is this going to impact new or returning players

obviously existing players will be rolling around with minimum of purple gear from the moment they hit 80 (just look at conversion rates from existing gear), whereas new/returning player will be starting in lakrum gear (1 or 2 shot you are dead against a +10 or above ancient or 0 purple and above) the economy is going to be premium from day 1 as existing players convert x billion kinah into new kinah, new players (if it follow EU kinah rates) will be lucky to hit 4million per week and as such will be able to afford near zero on AH even for mats to level crafting

Have NcWest given any thought to this or are they just not expecting any new or returning players ?

I made characters on an existing server and one of the new servers in the EU. These are my thoughts.

The gear exchange is really only going to make a difference initially. Gear isn't that hard to get or wasn't the first few weeks of the new patch. It has been said that Gameforge changed the enchanting rate after the first few weeks and gearing is harder now. So if NCWest avoids doing that, we should all be able to gear at a good clip. And the best thing about this patch is that there is no longer this arms race where there was no limit to how high you could enchant your gear. In 6.x, once you purify to that top level and +15 it you are done.

Kinah is a different subject. On the EU servers I struggled with kinah. Struggled to make enough kinah to change my stigmas on the new server. Struggled to buy the heal stigmas on the new server. Just struggled. Hopefully NSWest doesn't make the same mistakes with kinah that Gameforge made.

As for crafting, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Crafting is kind of optional. The best gear you earn. The gear you craft was mostly being used to disenchant.. or that's what I was seeing. 

I wouldn't worry. 

My advice to new or returning players is to get into a good legion so you will have groups right away for end game instances and groups for going out to do the weekly quests that you will need for the tokens to get gear.

If we take the conversion rates, for our kinah, into consideration, probably we wont get the same small amount of kinah like other regions. Maybe we will have an improved economy. Is not really strange. Aion 6.X had so many issues in other regions and the new economy was part of it. Maybe we will have it fixed. 

About the gear. I am totally agree that the things that we can get from the exchange list are just something to start playing a little easier. But is easy to get things from quest and some instances. They will only provide a couple of weeks of advantage. 

And I think the nice endgame gear will probably appear at 6.5 or latter (like in other versions). 

btw this wasn't intended as a QQ thread it was to highlight that there will be from the outset quite a big disparity between existing and new players (assuming there are going to be many) and tbh Kinah is the thing that plays the biggest part of it all & 6.2 Kinah is a huge issue tbh

@Aly-DN crafting isn't that important or optional? 

@100 crafting you craft stuff to break to upgrade your gear @300 crafting you can craft the 2nd best PvP gear in game (which will be easier to craft if you already got the kinah in your bank to buy the mats, existing players will have that) from the outset, so yes crafting plays a fairly huge part tbh 

I do agree that PvE Gear isn't that hard to get, run mirash, GoK & HT is about all you need tbh but... 

i was just kind of wondering if they had thought about these disparities or just launching and hope the existing population stas and maybe some of the new players might tough it out for a few months 

7 hours ago, OnyXm-KT said:

Have NcWest given any thought to this or are they just not expecting any new or returning players ?

Besides the fact that we are currently in the middle of a 3-week event that was literally made for new/returning players? You tell me.

15 minutes ago, Mirei-KT said:

Besides the fact that we are currently in the middle of a 3-week event that was literally made for new/returning players? You tell me.

It is so, but I'm talking after 6.2 hits, there still will be people coming, new and old, to try the game out. They might have some disadvantage when it comes to the ingots or gears.

8 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

It is so, but I'm talking after 6.2 hits, there still will be people coming, new and old, to try the game out. They might have some disadvantage when it comes to the ingots or gears.

I dunno. The way I see it even those people will get their chances to get ingots and gears. We'll all be running the same instances, and we're all headed for the same finish line (token ultimate gear). The only difference is that those who payed or played during 5.x get a headstart over those who didn't -- or rather, a bit more of an initial 5.x>6.x transition buffer.

The start of 4.0 sucked for people who weren't up to date on their PvP gear too, but in the end it all worked out. Not everyone plays 24/7, and as the hype dies down/events start to happen I'm positive there'll be plenty of opportunities to bridge the gap with people who got exchanged gear.

20 minutes ago, Mirei-KT said:

I dunno. The way I see it even those people will get their chances to get ingots and gears. We'll all be running the same instances, and we're all headed for the same finish line (token ultimate gear). The only difference is that those who payed or played during 5.x get a headstart over those who didn't -- or rather, a bit more of an initial 5.x>6.x transition buffer.

The start of 4.0 sucked for people who weren't up to date on their PvP gear too, but in the end it all worked out. Not everyone plays 24/7, and as the hype dies down/events start to happen I'm positive there'll be plenty of opportunities to bridge the gap with people who got exchanged gear.

A bit more?
I'm starting first day of 6.2 with a +15 legendary PvP armor/accessory/weapon set. I don't know if you've tried EU yet, but a person with that set can literally take on 10 people that are in beginner gear, which you have the first few weeks.

Good luck to anyone that is returning or is new here.

I even suggested the idea of a new server as I like everyone starting off equal grounds and having an actual competition. But since nothing is mentioned about it, I guess I'll take my +15 legendary set and grief the new comers and return players... not that it's my intention, but I do want to PvP.

1 hour ago, Mirei-KT said:

This is very wrong and let me tell you why; Most new/returning users are going to be coming back once the patch hits, not 3 weeks in advance. Also, any new players who did decide to start early STILL don't really benefit as most of the instances that are a part of the event are end-game or near end-game instances. The only people this event SERIOUSLY benefits are the people who have been playing (go figure) and use it to max out everything they have, furthering the gap between the new and current players.  It's easy for players on the forums who have been playing the game for a while now to tell new players not to worry about catching up, when they themselves don't have to worry about it all. Will I still give the patch a try even with no new server? Sure, but there is a much bigger chance of me NOT enjoying it and leaving the game once again, which is going to be the case for many returning users that come, if many even do decide to play again with no new server.

19 minutes ago, AlisonWonderland-DN said:

Also, any new players who did decide to start early STILL don't really benefit as most of the instances that are a part of the event are end-game or near end-game instances.

What in the nyerk lol, linkgate lvl 65, dl lvl 66 cross-server, both can be done nyerk easy solo with shit accs and the lvl 55 enshar set, maybe get a caeus wep (or if you have enough kinah to afford it on all alts, master harvester weap) to boost your dps a bit. With literally no funds, you can (or rather, could've) farmed this event super easily on a ton of alts levelled with afk Luna or just speed-levelled 1st week cuz, yanno, 400% xp boost.

I've done it on sorc without pots (was lazy), ranger, songweaver, gunner, all with the gear I just mentionned. At the beginning of this week, I d/e'd the master harvester weapons I got on the 2nd week for really cheap and sold the stones for extra kinah. If I was a returning player, I could've done the exact same cuz caeus weapons were 5M and harv weapons 15M at the end of the first week. Did you even try ?

19 minutes ago, AlisonWonderland-DN said:

This is very wrong and let me tell you why; Most new/returning users are going to be coming back once the patch hits, not 3 weeks in advance.

Just gonna pass on this real quick but
1) They should read up on the 6.0 changes instead of going blindly into the patch, it's literally on the main website first page now, don't have to go hunting through Crystalo's Powerbook;
2) Crafting mats and crafting. All the way until everyone and their carried friend with 10 alts have ultimate set.

27 minutes ago, Capa-KT said:

What in the nyerk lol, linkgate lvl 65, dl lvl 66 cross-server, both can be done nyerk easy solo with shit accs and the lvl 55 enshar set, maybe get a caeus wep (or if you have enough kinah to afford it on all alts, master harvester weap) to boost your dps a bit. With literally no funds, you can (or rather, could've) farmed this event super easily on a ton of alts levelled with afk Luna or just speed-levelled 1st week cuz, yanno, 400% xp boost.

I've done it on sorc without pots (was lazy), ranger, songweaver, gunner, all with the gear I just mentionned. At the beginning of this week, I d/e'd the master harvester weapons I got on the 2nd week for really cheap and sold the stones for extra kinah. If I was a returning player, I could've done the exact same cuz caeus weapons were 5M and harv weapons 15M at the end of the first week. Did you even try ?

1) They should read up on the 6.0 changes instead of going blindly into the patch, it's literally on the main website first page now, don't have to go hunting through Crystalo's Powerbook;
2) Crafting mats and crafting. All the way until everyone and their carried friend with 10 alts have ultimate set.

In what world do you live in?

No you couldn't benefit from the event if you just came back to the game as much as someone that has been playing this game throughout the 5.x patch. I'm a player that came back and I'll tell you why it doesn't even compare.

I had 10 billion kinah on the account when I came back just 3 weeks ago. I farmed linkgate (daily), DL, TTC, Adma's on multiple characters, and on my main I farmed these solo including OB, DS. Farmed them for 3 weeks, on multiple characters. I on top of that spent 800$, selling instance boosts packs and linkgate scrolls to give me another ~45-50 bil kinah. With all that, just yesterday I finally completed everything that I needed to give me a legendary +15 PvE and PvP set (weapon/armors/accesories).

So if I didn't spend 800$ of my own money, even with doing the instances on a daily basis on multiple characters, I'd be sitting broke, with most likely a +5 ancient set exchange, which is almost not even worth getting as the beginner gear is not far off, or I could have sat with perhaps a 100 or 200 pve/pvp enchantment stones ready if I decided to profit off the event instead of wasting it to work towards exchange gear.

Either way, what you don't realize is the fact that people that have played through 5.x, not only have had the time to upgrade to some of the latest gear and already had it to + 15 and more, making it much easier for them with these exchange rates, but on top of that they had time to gather billions more kinah, many more omega stones, temp solutions... all which come down to benefiting them mainly with this event because that's all they needed to get ahead. I'm not saying they shouldn't get this, as it does make sense to be deserving of something in return for being loyal and sticking around... but don't tell me people that are coming back to the game made use of this event. It helped return users in a minimal way compared to the people that were already here. Unless you dropped a bunch of $ such as myself to make use of the event, the free to play route of the event is only going to further gap the returning/new users from the population that stuck through the whole 5.x expansion.

26 minutes ago, Indoraptor-DN said:

God forbids active players being active.

Seriously, if someone has put effort being active during the 5.x era, he should be in an advantage compared with those who didn't played / were lazy enough to not geaf their toons.

Why are you arguing so much about something so simple?

Who said I was arguing that? If you read my previous post I actually agree that people that have stuck around should get an advantage. If you ask me, the advantage is too big and the event along with the exchange has made the gap even bigger than it should be, but nonetheless, I do agree for an advantage to some extend. Mind you, this is coming from a guy that is literally gonna start day 1 of 6.2 with +15 legendary weapons/accessories/armors. I don't know if you tried playing on EU, but I've seen people in legendary full sets run through and nyerk crowds of 10-15 people in beginner sets... by themselves. I really don't think you know how much it means to have a legendary set to start off with.

So no, I'm not arguing that the players that have been around shouldn't have an advantage, however, I am arguing that the players that are returning and just starting off fresh should have the option to start on the existing servers, or should they decide that they are at a major disadvantage by doing so, which they are, then to start on a new server where everything begins on equal grounds.

Lets talk about new servers that you have been talking about shall we?

Firstly, yes 6.0 is a big patch compared to was it 4.8? when Beritra was released together with the steam release. But how many new players do you think they actually managed to pull to the game? Maybe give or take a 1000? But lets be honest here, how many people quit upon the first couple hours of playing Aion? How many people actually make it to end game? How many people actually do stay after they make it to end game? You gotta ask yourselves these sort of questions when you try to put yourself in the shoes of ncsoft first before talking about game balance in a MMO. Yes you can say that o 6.0 is gonna stream line the leveling process and make it less of a grind but you don't know for sure how that will impact newcomers. Why then, should ncsoft make a new server based on the above uncertainty? It eats into their profits to maintain a new server and they are a company mind you. They are here to do business.

Ncsoft has no plans of making a new server. Its more likely that in the future we get a merge than new server.BR server was a mistake and you wont change my mind, only reason it was made because Aion was on steam but got removed shortly after because Ncsoft didnt want to share bcm profits with Steam.

Gear gap will always be there, we’re not doing a full hard reset on the gears anyway. It can be in any version of aion and old players will still win. If there’s no such thing as gear exchange ncsoft will see a glimpse of their death, I mean whats the point of playing if you’re going to start all over again? Worse is people might try other games and get hooked! 

Instead of whining old players got this old players got that, I’m more worried on the accessibility of enhance/purify mats new or returning players can get so they can be at least decent.

Saving enhance stones during levelling 1-75? And why? pathetic. 

35 minutes ago, Shirayuki-DN said:

Lets talk about new servers that you have been talking about shall we?

Firstly, yes 6.0 is a big patch compared to was it 4.8? when Beritra was released together with the steam release. But how many new players do you think they actually managed to pull to the game? Maybe give or take a 1000? But lets be honest here, how many people quit upon the first couple hours of playing Aion? How many people actually make it to end game? How many people actually do stay after they make it to end game? You gotta ask yourselves these sort of questions when you try to put yourself in the shoes of ncsoft first before talking about game balance in a MMO. Yes you can say that o 6.0 is gonna stream line the leveling process and make it less of a grind but you don't know for sure how that will impact newcomers. Why then, should ncsoft make a new server based on the above uncertainty? It eats into their profits to maintain a new server and they are a company mind you. They are here to do business.

Let's talk about business, shall we?

You do realize it literally takes hardly any money to invest in a new server? What's the current population cap, 5000? Even if it's more, the server doesn't need more than that as the current servers don't even reach a 1000 during it's peak time. A new server for a 5000 population cap, with a game such as Aion, literally will require anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, depending on how good of a server NCsoft invests in. Keep in mind, even if we were to high ball the cost of a new server, it would be max $10,000.

Do you know how much $10,000 is for a company as big as NCsoft? Nothing. As a matter of fact, let me put it to you in this perspective. One guy (me) spent $800 on the game in just two weeks just now as I returned. Now imagine the influx they would receive knowing the fact that a ton of players would at least spent their wallets on 1) Prestige packs, 2) Instance packs, 3) Luna, 4) Mounts. Those are just a few of the things that come at the top of my head, that are currently in the shops and will be in 6.2. Imagine if they put contracts? Jeez. Not to get all analytical but for a $10,000/month server you get a double digit multiplication back in return. Hmmm. Business. Not so bad.

You also realize that if the server does fail like Beritra, that it still would make much more than not releasing it? Not only will the new server make the returning players or the veterans that decide to re-roll on it buy the mandatory things from the shop that I previously mentioned such as Prestige pack, mount, luna, etc... but you cannot go wrong from a business perspective knowing the fact that something will fail, it will just add additional income for them knowing that the players will return back to their old servers eventually and thus spent even more to compensate for the time they've missed out by being on a new server and having to catch up.

There is literally no risk involved in opening a new server from a business perspective, and if anything there is assurance in increased income. Only risk there is with a new server is that there is a possibility it will fail and thus create work for NCsoft by having to merge it in the future. Mind you, this is IF it fails.

50 minutes ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

Let's talk about business, shall we?

You do realize it literally takes hardly any money to invest in a new server? What's the current population cap, 5000? Even if it's more, the server doesn't need more than that as the current servers don't even reach a 1000 during it's peak time. A new server for a 5000 population cap, with a game such as Aion, literally will require anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, depending on how good of a server NCsoft invests in. Keep in mind, even if we were to high ball the cost of a new server, it would be max $10,000.

Well I certainly don't know how much it takes to invest in a new server maybe its like you say 10k at max per month. 

50 minutes ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

Do you know how much $10,000 is for a company as big as NCsoft? Nothing. As a matter of fact, let me put it to you in this perspective. One guy (me) spent $800 on the game in just two weeks just now as I returned. Now imagine the influx they would receive knowing the fact that a ton of players would at least spent their wallets on 1) Prestige packs, 2) Instance packs, 3) Luna, 4) Mounts. Those are just a few of the things that come at the top of my head, that are currently in the shops and will be in 6.2. Imagine if they put contracts? Jeez. Not to get all analytical but for a $10,000/month server you get a double digit multiplication back in return. Hmmm. Business. Not so bad.

Forgive my ignorant peasant self for I will never understand what the wallet warriors are capable of. I've literally played Aion only when it went f2p and have not paid a single cent to this company and have survived so far so I wouldn't know how many "ton" of players would at least spent their wallets on 1) Prestige pack (can someone explain to me if this is really important? Or has it been outdated for o so long that its doesn't really help new/rerolling players) 2) Instance packs (Maybe 6.2 will change how important this is cause its not an alt friendly patch but so far I haven't came to the point of requiring it cause I don't even max out my instances every week) 3) Luna (And i'm sorry again can someone explain to me if this is really important? Besides luna instances/crafts/wardrobe (such big impact on the game), I dunno, the "self ress" thing they were talking about on stream and the teleports (Uh, I got a kisk?) and maybe stat retuning on end game gear in 6.2 (well tats for the true wallet warriors, you got me there!)) 4) Mounts (Rofl, heck yea sure. At least spend their wallets eh? Then I must be an irregular who walks around on foot. Then again with 6.2 with no run scrolls so maybe, but I won't say its a necessity) 5) Contracts (Sure, just because contracts are vital in 6.2 "ton" of players are gonna buy it. Would love to see the disappointment on faces when not a single ancient grade xform comes out. But wallet warrior things.)

With all that said, I'm not sure "ton" of players would spend their wallets. An average rational person certainly wouldn't spend hundreds retuning with luna or contracts. Not saying being a wallet warrior is bad (like thanks for that 800 dollars, ain't that like quite a large part of someone's monthly salary). I mean by all means you support the game for f2p players like me. I wouldn't say ncsoft will get a double digit multiplication back, perhaps single digit. Do note though that the money they get from people retuning with luna will probably not come until the later part of 6.2 after weeks have passed and by then the money they get from contracts would have dropped as people obtain their ancient and above xforms.

1 hour ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

You also realize that if the server does fail like Beritra, that it still would make much more than not releasing it? Not only will the new server make the returning players or the veterans that decide to re-roll on it buy the mandatory things from the shop that I previously mentioned such as Prestige pack, mount, luna, etc... but you cannot go wrong from a business perspective knowing the fact that something will fail, it will just add additional income for them knowing that the players will return back to their old servers eventually and thus spent even more to compensate for the time they've missed out by being on a new server and having to catch up.

There is literally no risk involved in opening a new server from a business perspective, and if anything there is assurance in increased income. Only risk there is with a new server is that there is a possibility it will fail and thus create work for NCsoft by having to merge it in the future. Mind you, this is IF it fails.

Perhaps ncsoft weighed something like income and reputation/branding and decided they could give up on the income instead of risking their reputation/branding? After all, its not exactly a good image to keep closing down and merging servers you know.

1 hour ago, Shirayuki-DN said:

Well I certainly don't know how much it takes to invest in a new server maybe its like you say 10k at max per month. 

Forgive my ignorant peasant self for I will never understand what the wallet warriors are capable of. I've literally played Aion only when it went f2p and have not paid a single cent to this company and have survived so far so I wouldn't know how many "ton" of players would at least spent their wallets on 1) Prestige pack (can someone explain to me if this is really important? Or has it been outdated for o so long that its doesn't really help new/rerolling players) 2) Instance packs (Maybe 6.2 will change how important this is cause its not an alt friendly patch but so far I haven't came to the point of requiring it cause I don't even max out my instances every week) 3) Luna (And i'm sorry again can someone explain to me if this is really important? Besides luna instances/crafts/wardrobe (such big impact on the game), I dunno, the "self ress" thing they were talking about on stream and the teleports (Uh, I got a kisk?) and maybe stat retuning on end game gear in 6.2 (well tats for the true wallet warriors, you got me there!)) 4) Mounts (Rofl, heck yea sure. At least spend their wallets eh? Then I must be an irregular who walks around on foot. Then again with 6.2 with no run scrolls so maybe, but I won't say its a necessity) 5) Contracts (Sure, just because contracts are vital in 6.2 "ton" of players are gonna buy it. Would love to see the disappointment on faces when not a single ancient grade xform comes out. But wallet warrior things.)

With all that said, I'm not sure "ton" of players would spend their wallets. An average rational person certainly wouldn't spend hundreds retuning with luna or contracts. Not saying being a wallet warrior is bad (like thanks for that 800 dollars, ain't that like quite a large part of someone's monthly salary). I mean by all means you support the game for f2p players like me. I wouldn't say ncsoft will get a double digit multiplication back, perhaps single digit. Do note though that the money they get from people retuning with luna will probably not come until the later part of 6.2 after weeks have passed and by then the money they get from contracts would have dropped as people obtain their ancient and above xforms.

Perhaps ncsoft weighed something like income and reputation/branding and decided they could give up on the income instead of risking their reputation/branding? After all, its not exactly a good image to keep closing down and merging servers you know.

No need to apologize young peasant. Your lack of knowledge is forgiven.

1) Prestige pack

"Generates coins which can be exchanged for items at a special vendor

Allows access to special NPCs, buffs, and quests.

Boosts siege rewards.

Increases entry counts for end-game instances".

Something that costs $15/month, with relatively decent awards. From a wallet warrior perspective. Why not? Hardly costs anything.

2) Instance pack

If you take the cheaper route and don't like the benefits of a prestige pack and just want the extra instance entries. There we go. $5 for a pack that lasts a month. Super cheap. What's the use in it? Hmm, let me think. Running for more chances at the gear you need? Making use of the events such as this one where extra entries means more return with the event rewards. Just to scratch the surface of the benefits of it.

3) Luna

I'll really forgive you for this one if you haven't read the new patch notes. Maybe you want to do an extra entry to an instance on top of your instance pack CDs? Use luna. Maybe you want to craft that legendary PvE/PvP enchantment stone that's in your daily? Use luna. Maybe you just want to run an instance solo and want some extra stats to help you? Use luna. Maybe you just ran across the whole map for 30 minutes, got to your spot, but died by a zerg? Use luna. Many things you can use luna for. Is it mainly for convenience? Yes, sure. But why not when it makes your gaming easier for such a cheap cost.

4) Mounts

I personally started on the new EU server and life without running scrolls is dreadful. You know when they say there are some people that level from 1-80 in 6 hours and some in 8-9 hours? Yeah. Mounts are mainly what cause the difference. Good luck to you traveling around Lakrum without a mount.

So there you go young peasant, this concludes the lesson for today. Just to clarify, not everyone is a wallet warrior, similarly analogues to voting... not everyone votes. So yes of course there is people like you that have never dropped a dime in a game, and I must say kudos to you. But there is also the people on the other side of the spectrum who have spent quite a bit on games, and it's not necessarily that we don't have our life priorities in check (some might not), but merely the fact that our paychecks give us a big monthly allowance to throw money wherever we desire.

PS. Just for shits and giggles. That last sentence in your quote. Please. NCsoft's reputation? How long have you been playing the game? NCsoft might have a good reputation with other games, but with Aion they have a horrible reputation. Can't get any worse than that.

Thank you for enlightening me o mighty one. 

May the odds be ever in your favor.

May your prestige coins buy you something worthy and convenient from the vending machine.

May your buffs help you ever so significantly in all your endeavours.

May your prestige quests hopefully never appear due to bugs to non prestige users ever again.

May your boosted siege rewards help you stay ahead of the horde and RNGesus.

May your extra entries help you stay ahead of the horde and RNGesus too.

May RNGesus bless you in your luna crafting attempts.

May your convenience hopefully not plant a flag on top of yourself as a target to kill to drain luna.

May your mount hopefully not slow you down in reacting to people.

Deus vult.

12 hours ago, Capa-KT said:

I mean come on, you literally just emphasized my point. You are a current player that utilized the event as much as you could across multiple characters. Do you SERIOUSLY think many new or returning user will see an event that they probably BARELY understand on the news feed, and invest that much effort into the game? Let me answer that for you; no. I actually have farmed it a bit, though not much, just so I have some money for the new patch, but almost all of my friends that plan on (or planned on) did NOT do that. Why? Because most returning people don't know or care about whats going on right now. They are interested in new content and a revamped game and that's what they will come back for. As for "going blindly" into 6.0, I don't think anyone who's interested in returning is going in blindly, I'm sure they know what its about at least on a basic level, but once again that doesn't mean they know or care about whats going on right now.

7 hours ago, Shirayuki-DN said:

Do you know why the free to play model has gotten so popular over the years? Because people DO spend money on cash shops. Lots of it. Trying to argue that a ton of players wouldn't spend their money on the game is naive, how do you think its still around? I'm not going to pretend I have a business degree and know how much it costs to keep a server running, but I do know how the gaming community works and with that I do know I can honestly say that I personally believe a new server would rack up a lot of money for NCsoft.

1 hour ago, AlisonWonderland-DN said:

Do you know why the free to play model has gotten so popular over the years? Because people DO spend money on cash shops. Lots of it. Trying to argue that a ton of players wouldn't spend their money on the game is naive, how do you think its still around? I'm not going to pretend I have a business degree and know how much it costs to keep a server running, but I do know how the gaming community works and with that I do know I can honestly say that I personally believe a new server would rack up a lot of money for NCsoft.

No it is because of the people that we refer to as Sultans in the SEA region and Whales in the West. 3 of these players are worth more then 5000 base paying players(subscription fee). Unbeatable talks about how he put $800 in 2 weeks well the SEA region for BDO has been out for 6 months now i think it is and there are multiple players that have put over $150,000 in to the company. This does not include the price for piloting and accounts bought for upgrades. 

This is why the f2p has become so popular for developers. Keeping 10 players per region happy who are willing to put $150,000 per year in to a game is far easier and better for the company then keeping 5000 unhappy people who only put what $15 per month in to a game.

Archived