New & Returning Players: Worth??

GenericUser23153

Hello, I came back to the game after a couple year break, I was watching a couple streams and everything after the patch preview, most said that it would be hard for new and returning players and that it only focuses on the EXISTING players.Is this true?If so how can the player base grow?I've heard that since we've had the power up event that all current players have the max gear by 6.0 already. So heres a couple of questions if you guys don't mind

Q: Will it be fair to new players? or will their be a starter set given to new players?and existing,

Q: Will the New & Returning player Event with the ayas start again? and if so will the rewards given be upgraded to fit the patch?

Q:As a returning/new player how should we go about the game, considering Aion's community has always been tight.

Q: Gear wise, will it be more challenging for us new/returning players?

Thank you for taking your time to read this! and sorry if its an obvious answer just looking for opinions :)

, X Pookiooki

Well patch isn't live here yet but here goes what I think ok? Not one of those EU veterans so here goes.

1) So far, we haven't heard of any sort of starter set for new players. Existing players will get their current gear compensated with new gear cause the tier system of gear is getting reworked and some stats are getting changed/removed so old gear is pretty much rubbish after patch. Will it be fair to new players? Well according to the EU beta testers and videos, no its not gonna be fair to new/returning players at least in the pvp department. But then again, when has there been fairness is a mmorpg?

2) Again no news.

3) Well i'm not really one to actively interact so I can't really answer this cause I haven't started a new character from scratch in ages and I have not done something like "beta test" in EU. Nor have I done something like leave the game long enough to be considered "returning" player.

4) Pvp wise definitely. I don't think pve wise will be too different from now though.

45 minutes ago, Pookiooki-DN said:

Hello, I came back to the game after a couple year break, I was watching a couple streams and everything after the patch preview, most said that it would be hard for new and returning players and that it only focuses on the EXISTING players.Is this true?If so how can the player base grow?I've heard that since we've had the power up event that all current players have the max gear by 6.0 already. So heres a couple of questions if you guys don't mind

No game is fair for either player, new or returning. If you are willing and set your mind to it, you can catch up. The PowerUp event is running along with End of the World event, those two help many players get a chance with exchange gear.

Q: Will it be fair to new players? or will their be a starter set given to new players?and existing,

You'll be given a beginner's PvP and PvE set between levels 76 and 80 once you reach Lakrum. If you do camps around the maps and some repeatable quests, you can get a better PvP set, enchant it and get it to the next grade. The patch is about playing the game, rather than sit at broker and buy it off.

Q: Will the New & Returning player Event with the ayas start again? and if so will the rewards given be upgraded to fit the patch?

That event was deleted in Korea, so doubt we will have it as well. The new/returning icons and buffs are gone, but the game still detects it. There's an NPC in Sanctum/Pandaemonium, and they give you a gift box you can open every 5 levels and get some goodies. The NPC is gone from EU and still hasn't been implemented.

Q:As a returning/new player how should we go about the game, considering Aion's community has always been tight.

Enjoy the game for what it is. If you find yourself a legion, it'll be more fun and exciting that way.

Q: Gear wise, will it be more challenging for us new/returning players?

I PvPed on EU with my beginner's PvP set and got some pieces from the NPCs at base. I got those pieces to +5 and in Dredgion we faced against veteran players with exchanged gears, probably Ancient +15 or Legendary ones. You can see the difference in gears, but it's definitely better compared to 5.8. If you have Ancient +15, you'd be fine enough against someone with Legendary +5 or +10. The exchanged gears are just slight head start, but it's nothing too dramatic in my opinion, you can catch up if you know what you're doing.

If you do Mirash and CoE a couple of times, you're ready for BoS and FM instances, even possibly solo CoE.

1 hour ago, Pookiooki-DN said:

I've heard that since we've had the power up event that all current players have the max gear by 6.0 already.

Current player here. Will only have +5 ancient gears on Wednesday. Not all of us wanted to go all out like that. Some of us are more casual. Will there be players with maxed out gear? Yes, of course. However, I believe there will be a lot more like me who are just here to have fun and not make a career out of Aion exchange gears. Don't worry too much about it. :)

2 hours ago, Vantheria-DN said:

Current player here. Will only have +5 ancient gears on Wednesday. Not all of us wanted to go all out like that. Some of us are more casual. Will there be players with maxed out gear? Yes, of course. However, I believe there will be a lot more like me who are just here to have fun and not make a career out of Aion exchange gears. Don't worry too much about it. :)

I'll join to confirm this, I won't even get any armor :D

I think now is a good time to return.

Obviously people who have played for years will have some advantage at first, but that's how it should be.  Who'd play a game if spending time on it meant nothing every patch?  Also to be fair, this game at every stage of it's life cycle had a few players that were impossible to catch up to if you can't play 24/7 or later spend thousands of dollars.  This was even true at launch where the average player wasn't immediately level 50 with level 50 pvp gear, that seemingly took forever to earn.

You can level up to 80 really fast and many people are starting from scratch on the 6.2 gear.  More people are probably starting with nothing than the few who had enough to get exchanges.

There are usually large legions at the top levels with open-recruiting, meaning you can just join and immediately start making friends as soon as you near level cap.  Whether you stay in those legions or not, it's usually good for a start-legion to start meeting people.  You might even love it and stay.

6 hours ago, Vantheria-DN said:

+5 ancient gears? No need to lie to the guy. I have a +15 legendary weapon/armor/accessory PvP set to start off with. If you tickle me or see me tanking 10 people at a time for the first few weeks/months, you'll know why. I thank NCsoft for the possibility, and well, you'll have NCsoft to thank for this great "welcome back veterans/new players".

7 minutes ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

+5 ancient gears? No need to lie to the guy. I have a +15 legendary weapon/armor/accessory PvP set to start off with. If you tickle me or see me tanking 10 people at a time for the first few weeks/months, you'll know why. I thank NCsoft for the possibility, and well, you'll have NCsoft to thank for this great "welcome back veterans/new players".

No need to withhold the truth from the guy! You will be rocking +15 legendary gear on day one because you spent over $800 in the past few weeks to have it. So if we see you tanking the mongrel hordes, we will know that your "thank you" to NCWest came in the form of a credit card.

The patch was developed to reward those who have spent a year+ getting to a nice gear level with a leg up with the new gear. But the patch was also developed so that new players and more casual players can slowly work towards that same nice gear. Don't let the Wallet Warriors get you down or make you feel bad. You may die in PvP. You may die a lot in PvP, but you will get your gear and hopefully enjoy yourself along the way.

21 minutes ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

We know - you've been in here telling people this during your crusade for a new server for weeks now.

But you are hardly a standard player or even most people who will be returning or checking out 6.2.

I've spent $1200 in 2017 (added it all up on paypal) during the 5.0 era on Aion and will have nothing exchanged aside from one plume.  But I spent more on levelling than I did on enchanting, and took a break and have decided not to play during this enchanting event because I'd rather just wait on 6.2 reviews to decide if this game is worth more time or money.

A vast majority of players will be starting from scratch.  It's great that you played / spent optimally but you are hardly the norm.

20 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

No need to withhold the truth from the guy! You will be rocking +15 legendary gear on day one because you spent over $800 in the past few weeks to have it. So if we see you tanking the mongrel hordes, we will know that your "thank you" to NCWest came in the form of a credit card.

The patch was developed to reward those who have spent a year+ getting to a nice gear level with a leg up with the new gear. But the patch was also developed so that new players and more casual players can slowly work towards that same nice gear. Don't let the Wallet Warriors get you down or make you feel bad. You may die in PvP. You may die a lot in PvP, but you will get your gear and hopefully enjoy yourself along the way.

Exactly! There is no need to withhold the truth from the guy. I tried looking out for the return/new players with the suggestion of the new server or at least to not have such crazy advantages to the current population or the wallet warriors, but since that's not happening, we just have to accept that our returning/new players are not so welcome after all. Not to sound like a douche, but I came here to PvP, and it's not my fault if I end up grieving returning/new players out of this game.

And if you think I'm a minority, that's pretty funny. I already know quite a handful of people that will be rocking even greater sets than I will... ultimate weapons/accessories/armors. So like I said, good luck.

40 minutes ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

And if you think I'm a minority, that's pretty funny. I already know quite a handful of people that will be rocking even greater sets than I will... ultimate weapons/accessories/armors. So like I said, good luck.

I predicted you would say something like this - but that is really just bias you may have by associating with people like yourself.

Meanwhile in casual land, there are many people who don't even socket their quest gear with manastones or think they can socket Block as a sorcerer.

1 hour ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

Not to sound like a douche, but I came here to PvP, and it's not my fault if I end up grieving returning/new players out of this game.

PvPing in open world and wrecking new players is fine. Usually it is the actions that come along with PvP players that ruin the experience for a new player.

1. The first issue is we live in a care-bear society now days where the general old school PvP banter is to harsh for the newer players to endure and often quit over words that were probably intended for the other people in the group.
  2. The second which is actually the bigger issue. People not playing the game as intended. Lets say you know someone on the other faction and you see them fighting a 3v10 are you going to jump in and kill them? More often then not in Aion people do the honorable thing and let them fight. The issue is in a gear based game those 10 people may all be new players/lazy players that did not prep. This means they are totally out matched in the gear department(more then likely out skilled as well). By someone not helping their own faction just because they are friends with the other faction they create a situation where new players do not feel welcome. 

At the end of the day its not about PvP being a douche move its about the actions that you take while PvPing that make you the douche. 

Agreed.

No respect for credit card swipers who passively win PVP matches and then parade around like they are big shit.  They aren't.  

Also no respect for people that grief.  It's fine to go kill a PVE quester once or twice but then just leave them alone if they aren't bothering you.

No really need to rubbish on people just trying to enjoy themselves.

I think you guys are are misinterpreting by what I mean when I say grieving return/new players in PvP.

I have played this game since it's release and not once was I that "pink titled douche" to kill someone for no reason. If you don't know what that means, a person of the opposing faction shows up with a pink name instead of a red name if they are a much higher level than them. Metaphorically speaking, what I'm trying to point out is that people lower level than me (which with this patch will be hardly existent), people that are killing mobs (questing) indicating to me that they want to PvE, and especially people that are having trouble killing mobs or are killing them slowly which indicates that they are very undergeared.... this crowd doesn't interest me and I have no pleasure of killing, and nor do I.

What I do have a pleasure in killing in open world PvP is people of high rank, which I immediately assume are geared or else I honestly don't think you deserve a high rank at all. I do PvP against people that I know are PvPing on a daily basis, and those people, even if they are killing mobs, I know they are capable of holding their ground and I will engage them. And this is mainly the part where I was referring to grieving new/returning players, is if you attack me, I will attack you back. Especially if you decide to join other Asmos in trying to take me down, I don't care how undergeared you are at that point, I find it fair game for me treat you the way you are treating me.

As for being a credit card swiper. Yes I am one. I however work 60-80 hours in the hospital per week on average. So the way I see it, the extra amount of hours that you have time to spend in this game while I'm working, I compensate for by swiping my card. If you ask me, makes perfect logical sense to keep an even playing field and I really don't see what the whining is about.

Hey pookiooki, glad your on dn, the less p2w server.

Anyhow guys, just let this guy pvp all he wants in his compensation gear alright? No need to bash each other, he'll eventually get bored pvping the same people all day everyday and eventually he'll leave.

And please, people of high rank are geared? When did the last gp reset happen anyway? Guess it never happened did it? Most of this folks got their gp from pve mode iww cause the opponent was just pugs put together into an afk alliance. Heck I don't even know why people still bother with rank when gear is no longer rank restricted in 5.8. Maybe like me they had a msupp set on their older rank restricted gear so they need to maintain the rank.

19 minutes ago, Shirayuki-DN said:

Heck I don't even know why people still bother with rank when gear is no longer rank restricted in 5.8.

Man, how can you not check the abyss ranking every day as soon as you log in and screenshot it ? casuals everywhere smh

The back peddling is real!

3.15716490106606143880.505532326838747.g

If you participate, you can't help -but- get rank. It just happens. One day you wake up and you are a transform! I remember back at launch where we bought ap pots just to reduce our rank so we didn't lose so much ap when we died. There isn't a way to do that any more.

2 hours ago, Aly-DN said:

If you participate, you can't help -but- get rank. It just happens.

Literally this. I'm a 4-star and the only pvp I do is Evergale lmao. I absolutely do not 1v1 or do pvp instances such as IDL or OW because I only do things in this game as social activities (and Evergale is more social for me). If I have to do it by myself, such as 1v1 or even pve stuff like Mirash, I just won't do it at all. So yeah, just basic playing will get you a rank easily.

2 hours ago, Aly-DN said:

The back peddling is real!

3.15716490106606143880.505532326838747.g

If you participate, you can't help -but- get rank. It just happens. One day you wake up and you are a transform! I remember back at launch where we bought ap pots just to reduce our rank so we didn't lose so much ap when we died. There isn't a way to do that any more.

To be fair, that was back when we lost MUCH more ap for death in pvp (before the nerf to ap loss) and it was also much harder to get ap back then, so it was ACTUALLY hindering to be a high rank while trying to progress. 

2 minutes ago, AlisonWonderland-DN said:

To be fair, that was back when we lost MUCH more ap for death in pvp (before the nerf to ap loss) and it was also much harder to get ap back then, so it was ACTUALLY hindering to be a high rank while trying to progress. 

Yup. I remember. Was just mentioning it as there was a way to "derank". Now you can't. So if you are active, your GP will just keep building and building and eventually you will have rank.. even if you hadn't planned it.

Archived