Jump to content
Jordan-DN

Favorite Patch?

Recommended Posts

Bryos-DN   
3 hours ago, Funkeln-KT said:

@Cyan

what would it take for the US to get a master/classic server like korea? :o 

Considering the idea of a Master Server in the first place was a horrible idea, and that its implementation in Korea also failed, being removed last year from their game, I say really slim. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryos-DN said:

Considering the idea of a Master Server in the first place was a horrible idea, and that its implementation in Korea also failed, being removed last year from their game, I say really slim. :P

Korean Master servers didn't fail though.. They were way more populated than the current servers at the time (5.0). The servers weren't completely removed either, they simply updated them, along with the other current servers, into the 6.0 patch. Prior to 6.0, a lot of koreans were quitting the game and were unhappy with the 5.0 patch. 

Anyway, I think the master servers would garner a lot of attention from both current AND older aion players who enjoyed past content especially in regards to PvP, older maps,  and other content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bryos-DN   
Just now, Funkeln-KT said:

Korean Master servers didn't fail though.. They were way more populated than the current servers at the time (5.0). The servers weren't completely removed either, they simply updated them, along with the other current servers, into the 6.0 patch. Prior to 6.0, a lot of koreans were quitting the game and were unhappy with the 5.0 patch. 

Anyway, I think the master servers would garner a lot of attention from both current AND older aion players who enjoyed past content especially in regards to PvP, older maps,  and other content. 

They failed, massively, period. Because they were a bad idea form the get go. Of course they werent actually removed, but, why call them "Master Server" if they are just normal servers after 6.0? So, yes, Master Server failed and got removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can provide evidence as to why they "failed massively" please explain how or why? I don't see how master servers were considered a failure when they were more populated than the current servers at the time. And if you consider that a failure, then 5.0 must've been a complete disaster considering it was the patch that lead to the decline in playerbase over at Korea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bryos-DN   

I already talked this a bunch on a post some weeks ago, so I will be brief. The "evidence" you seek:

  • The simple fact they dropped the idea.
  • They gradually stopped focusing on creating content for it.
  • The idea was flawed from the beginning, which heavily links to having to add particular content in the first place, which eventually leads to that server becoming less of a "classic server" and more like an "alternative server".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Funkeln-KT said:

If you can provide evidence as to why they "failed massively" please explain how or why? I don't see how master servers were considered a failure when they were more populated than the current servers at the time. And if you consider that a failure, then 5.0 must've been a complete disaster considering it was the patch that lead to the decline in playerbase over at Korea. 

People still played on it. But master server has been "absorbed" (so basically removed) because NCSoft decided to get rid of the subscription model. You can't keep a master server with an old version of the game with a free model. People play on a master server because they liked the previous version ofc, so you can't really add new contents or throw new sets of gear every 4-5 months like in the normal servers, or the master server would be pointless. And if people don't need things (after some months you'll be geared and have the skins you want), they won't buy anything new from the shop, hence no profit with a f2p model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mirei-KT   

Lore/immersion wise it'd have to be 2.X. For convenience, gameplay and entertainment value 3.0/4.0. Everything from 4.8 onwards is a botched experiment; random, panic-driven attempts to keep Aion afloat amidst the rise of the mobage and the decline of MMOs - with every move showing just how much they had lost touch with their own game.

And thus we arrive in the present, where we are playing a placeholder to buy them time until A2 is done.

Edited by Mirei-KT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite patch? Not this one for sure.

If i had a dollar for every game some overzealous developer had screwed up, i'd be horrendously rich.

I've played Aion (mostly the EU version) since it's release, but this time they've gone too far.

Oh well....Back to Guild Wars 1 i guess. (I'd go to GW2 but they even messed that up)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even tho i have probably answered differently in the past i would have to say i have no favorite patch. I have great memories from 1.x,2.x,3.x,4.x and even 6.x(just nostalgic pvp tho). 5.x is a bit um...i was burnt out at the time 5.x released so i saw no fun in that patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4.0 hands down.

NC has not yet made any maps as good as Katalam nor made the game as friendly to new players as 4.0 was. I'd actually be willing to pay for an entire separate game that was on 4.0 settings. 4.8 and later was crap. Removing the two best maps in the game and adding the rifting nonsense back was a sure fire way to screw things up.

3.0 and tia eye wasn't and either though.

Edited by Delessa-DN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see a master server. I get u cant have a classic/master server and keep adding new stuff to it or it loses the classic/master server vibe, so why couldnt you label it a progressive old school server to get away from the whole master server thing? You could start at patch 1.8, and after a while start introducing new patches continuing for as long a people keep playing, stopping at around 4.8 as that's when I feel the game started going very downhill. Seeing how populated the KR server was, I imagine it could work especially if they implement the QOL updates of current aion and do a proper Ncoin shop. Just having the option for players who would otherwise just quit, playing a server like this might keep them around aion for a good while. You could also send out emails to all registered accounts about the server explaining what it is and u might just bring people back who have quit the game. Just having the option would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello from EU!

I'm actually researching old patch notes and the community's opinions of them and trying to put together a coherent and well argued case for why a classic server would be a good supplement to the game right now.

7 hours ago, Jordan-DN said:

I would love to see a master server. I get u cant have a classic/master server and keep adding new stuff to it or it loses the classic/master server vibe, so why couldnt you label it a progressive old school server to get away from the whole master server thing? You could start at patch 1.8, and after a while start introducing new patches continuing for as long a people keep playing, stopping at around 4.8 as that's when I feel the game started going very downhill. Seeing how populated the KR server was, I imagine it could work especially if they implement the QOL updates of current aion and do a proper Ncoin shop. Just having the option for players who would otherwise just quit, playing a server like this might keep them around aion for a good while. You could also send out emails to all registered accounts about the server explaining what it is and u might just bring people back who have quit the game. Just having the option would be nice.

This is basically the essence of what I've been thinking too.
The master server failed because it implemented several of the worst developments (breakthrough enchanting, gear breaking upon failed enchant, all gear being tradeable, to mention a few). A classic progression server has a huge potential, but I think it would be most successful if it had several small tweaks (hindsight being 20/20 and being able to see what things were the most frustrating for players).

I'll come back to this forum with a survey and the essay once it's completed if people are interested in the idea.

 

To answer the actual question though, for me 2.7-3.9 were the best patches. I started playing early 2010 (think we had 1.9 back then) but didn't really play actively before 2.0. 3.x felt the most balanced. 4.x introduced several good (nice maps and sieges, good pve instances) and several bad things (most notably breakthrough enchant and plumes). 5.x had such a massive gear gap due to breakthrough enchanting and extra items that my entire legion quit (also because of incarnations). 6.2 has been awful here as well thanks to the transformations and the gear gaps. Capped enchant only helps a little, the enchantment rates are awful and there's almost nothing to do. Never been as bored in Aion as I am currently :/

Edited by 2sBD079-DN
answering thread question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 8:29 AM, MomochiSandayu-EK said:

< 5 =  g o o d.

> 5 = t r a s h.

Pretty much this.

I'd say 4.8 and onwards was bad though. Not just starting from 5.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything from the beginning up to 5.8 was rather good, if 5.8 didn't have an unlimited enchant ability it would have been my all time favorite when it comes to the ability to dress up and have everything tradeable (except of course the end game pvp gear -> 80a2 items which is same to every patch).

I liked 4.0x and 3.0x ok but the problem with these was that since many pvp items were untradeable and I never really played too much, I coulnd't compete with others in gear.

Of course what I hated in the last updates was that they kept removing maps, that was the worst thing they could have ever come up with, 5.8 was also very bad because of this and because they brought the coalition which ruined all siges.

So my qguess is 3.0~4.x for content and 5.8 for the free market it offered (minus the p2w +30 heroes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pixie-EK   

Favorite Patch? Not this one lol. I miss 4.x There was so much PvP everywhere. Too many zergs or PvE queens now on top of all the P2W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heuo-DN   

I havent played pre 3.0 era so I cant comment.

I would say fav is 4.0 :

Katalam and Danaria I miss you very much <3

4.8 - After removing the 2 best maps in game. Aion and its sieges became very boring, what most people would do was  camping the Rentus entrance so opposite faction could not do their pve runs......

5.x If it wasnt for gear breaking and horrendous exp grind, I would say its ok but to be honest I hated it like most players did.

6.2 - I cant say much currently but I have more fun now than I did in 5.x. There are things like and dont like about this patch, for example  making almost everything untradeable was dumb idea...

 

 

Edited by Heuo-DN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×