Jump to content
Pyxlbomb-DN

Letter to NCSoft

Recommended Posts

Dear NCSoft,

Back in 2011, I was introduced to AION (1.9 if I can remember) by Co-Workers.  I had never played an MMORPG before!  Tried WOW but wasn't my cup of tea.  I was a 1st Person Shooter.

Installed it, grinded to lvl 10, went to Verteron and popped my wings, grinded to LVL 25, entered the Abyss and NEVER TURNED BACK!  I remember saying "I CAN FLY" ... then I remember saying "I CAN FLY AND FIGHT!"

It was an exhilarating experience for me and 1 I will never forget.

Everyone ranted and raved about this MMORPG that included "FLIGHT" and "COMBAT IN FLIGHT"

https://www.engadget.com/2009/09/06/everything-aion-flight-101/
http://www.tentonhammer.com/guides/aion-flight-facts
https://www.alteredgamer.com/aion/41531-why-daevas-fly-and-flight-mechanics/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aion_(video_game)#Flight
https://venturebeat.com/community/2009/10/09/aion-preview/

Now let's Fast Forward to 2018 - 10 Years Later since AION was launched, AION 6.2 - Awakened Legacy

The #1 factor that has made this MMORPG different than ANY OTHER MMORPG ON THE MARKET IS - "FLIGHT" - and in the LATEST, MOST RECENT, "LIKE A MONTH AGO" PATCH ...
(OTHER THAN DIVINE SIEGE, WHICH ISN'T REALLY A FLIGHT SIEGE IN COMPARISON - THAT ONLY LASTS 1 HOUR ON 1 DAY A WEEK)
YOU TAKE "FLIGHT" AWAY?

I'm no expert here, well i'm a 20 year marketing expert, but who made the decision to take away the most NICHE INDUSTRY differentiating factor of the game?

NCSoft, don't take my word for it, why don't you ask the player community how they feel about Flight in General and Flight Combat.

I know if that Survey came across my screen all my answers would lead towards ADDING FLIGHT BACK.

We as Daevas have WINGS ... LET US FLY !!!

Thank You for your time.

"FLYING WHENEVER I GET THE CHANCE TO"

Pyxlbomb - DN - "Lumiel 4 Life"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aly-DN   

It was an odd choice, to be sure. But I don't think you would get much joy from the overall player base about flight PvP. It's gotten better over the years, but was still not loved by a good portion of the players (mostly melee!). Maybe now that it is gone, those that always complained about flight PvP may be feeling nostalgic. Who knows.

We can still glide and use windstreams, but imo gliding needs some tweaks. I look at a game like GW2 who implemented gliding and did it better than Aion has. With no cd on opening your wings, gliding could be as much fun as flight was.

Edited by Aly-DN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flight Combat was just a nice eye catcher something new and different from other mmorpg, but in reallity it sucks you can't jump shot, jump cast or slide shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me see, Bless, Revalation, Riders of Icarus - all have flight and, Aion USED TO. For us flight lovers, I'd say Riders Of Icarus now has the best aerial combat and, a great wold, it's a lot of what Aion could have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bryos-DN   
45 minutes ago, Kailor-DN said:

Let me see, Bless, Revalation, Riders of Icarus - all have flight and, Aion USED TO.

The thing is, all the titles you mentioned are not older than 3 years. Back when Aion was released, I think it was a trend setter in a way. Like Amnesia TDD for the horror genre. 

Now, lets fast forward to the present. To the patch whose prime objective is making Aion more simple, easier to grab. A feature that was disliked by a big portion of the playerbase, avoided by even a larger portion. It pretty much deserved the chopping block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started to play AION just because I could fly, I wish I could fly at least close to the towns/city without any time limit. I made a songweaver just because I could fly without any timer we songweavers had a nice skill for that. :)

If we could fly everywhere free, no timer, we could go everywhere and the teleporter would go out of business :) Obvious no fighting when flying but it would be fun... fun.... and more fun. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played on Kaisinel back at launch and I seem to remember as a Sin, that if you poisoned someone it flight it dropped their wings and they fell to death. Was a glitch that was corrected pretty fast I think. Was still fun XD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 5:25 PM, Aly-DN said:

It was an odd choice, to be sure. But I don't think you would get much joy from the overall player base about flight PvP. It's gotten better over the years, but was still not loved by a good portion of the players (mostly melee!). Maybe now that it is gone, those that always complained about flight PvP may be feeling nostalgic. Who knows.

We can still glide and use windstreams, but imo gliding needs some tweaks. I look at a game like GW2 who implemented gliding and did it better than Aion has. With no cd on opening your wings, gliding could be as much fun as flight was.

why do you say that? what's the difference between running toward my target and flying toward it? I was always a melee class player, and i really don't see any difference. The only messed up think on flying was the wing clip. Otherwise, flying or running it's the same thing mostly... as a melee you can get destroyed by a ranged on foot too... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even PWI does flight better, tap key, fly ANYWHERE ANYTIME, fight in flight or on the ground, swim, fly underwater, suit yourself. And yes lots of wing skins, even one race that can fly from creation, the rest not until level 10 but, then, it's total free flight.

I am one of the few that loved aerial combat, yes it's best for ranged classes which I prefer to play but, I don[t see why they took that from us. Okay take the Abyss but, then give us another place for aerial PvP - so much fun to fly over with my sorc and nuke the sin or the cleric that's on the ground or at a lower elevation LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 6:18 PM, Pyxlbomb-DN said:

Dear NCSoft,

Back in 2011, I was introduced to AION (1.9 if I can remember) by Co-Workers.  I had never played an MMORPG before!  Tried WOW but wasn't my cup of tea.  I was a 1st Person Shooter.

Installed it, grinded to lvl 10, went to Verteron and popped my wings, grinded to LVL 25, entered the Abyss and NEVER TURNED BACK!  I remember saying "I CAN FLY" ... then I remember saying "I CAN FLY AND FIGHT!"

It was an exhilarating experience for me and 1 I will never forget.

Everyone ranted and raved about this MMORPG that included "FLIGHT" and "COMBAT IN FLIGHT"

https://www.engadget.com/2009/09/06/everything-aion-flight-101/
http://www.tentonhammer.com/guides/aion-flight-facts
https://www.alteredgamer.com/aion/41531-why-daevas-fly-and-flight-mechanics/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aion_(video_game)#Flight
https://venturebeat.com/community/2009/10/09/aion-preview/

Now let's Fast Forward to 2018 - 10 Years Later since AION was launched, AION 6.2 - Awakened Legacy

The #1 factor that has made this MMORPG different than ANY OTHER MMORPG ON THE MARKET IS - "FLIGHT" - and in the LATEST, MOST RECENT, "LIKE A MONTH AGO" PATCH ...
(OTHER THAN DIVINE SIEGE, WHICH ISN'T REALLY A FLIGHT SIEGE IN COMPARISON - THAT ONLY LASTS 1 HOUR ON 1 DAY A WEEK)
YOU TAKE "FLIGHT" AWAY?

I'm no expert here, well i'm a 20 year marketing expert, but who made the decision to take away the most NICHE INDUSTRY differentiating factor of the game?

NCSoft, don't take my word for it, why don't you ask the player community how they feel about Flight in General and Flight Combat.

I know if that Survey came across my screen all my answers would lead towards ADDING FLIGHT BACK.

We as Daevas have WINGS ... LET US FLY !!!

Thank You for your time.

"FLYING WHENEVER I GET THE CHANCE TO"

Pyxlbomb - DN - "Lumiel 4 Life"

 

I completely agree with you! Although, I play on Asmo side, there is no differenmce as we both are Daevas! Aion without flying has no sense! Only we old true fans of a flying game, can provide any income to its Masters! Any random bywalkers who test it now, can test very many other non-flying games and find that those are build better, more logical, more adequate and comfortable to play, and will turn away and not really buy stuff on BCM cause they stay  indifferent! But a mad flying Aion is another thing, that is valuable for its players who have been flying in dreams since their physical birth! It's a certain race of players. They descended from Plleiadian Nordics 450000 years ago, before the planet was captured by the Grays from Orion and other parasites, maybe Reptilians who can fake their appearance and cheat humans.  Still Pleiadian souls are here in some of our bodies and we can spread our energy and inspire and heal other people, please don't make our existence senseless on this Earth!!!

NordicIII%20and%20SilverMoon%20017%20-%2

NordicIII%20with%20new%20long%20hair%203

Edited by NordicIII-KT
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 6:52 PM, DevilNest-KT said:

Flight Combat was just a nice eye catcher something new and different from other mmorpg, but in reallity it sucks you can't jump shot, jump cast or slide shot.

On 5.x patches flying combat skills were much adjusted and comfortable, compared to how they were on 3.x or 4.x patches before 4.8, as far as I remember. On newer patches, we used to be knocked back, laying on our back in flight, or trapped in flight, so I think there remained no difference between ground and flight skills.

Edited by NordicIII-KT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 6:25 PM, Aly-DN said:

It was an odd choice, to be sure. But I don't think you would get much joy from the overall player base about flight PvP. It's gotten better over the years, but was still not loved by a good portion of the players (mostly melee!). Maybe now that it is gone, those that always complained about flight PvP may be feeling nostalgic. Who knows.

We can still glide and use windstreams, but imo gliding needs some tweaks. I look at a game like GW2 who implemented gliding and did it better than Aion has. With no cd on opening your wings, gliding could be as much fun as flight was.

Flying pvp was the most beautiful type of pvp we could ever have, it was worth recording on video. Ground combat is much more boring, especially when there's low speed. The game surely died, I'm not working on any new gear cause it's so flightless and slow. Please return the  flight and the speed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed! the ability to fly, and to learn how to pvp in a 3 dimensional way was such a unique part of this game. Also the aether tapping. I'd spend hours tapping aether because 1. it was profitable stuff and 2. flying and gathering was fun. 

Usually you would end up in some pvp fight also because the good aethertapping areas were in demand by both factions. *sigh. thanks for taking that away. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Suicidea-KT said:

Agreed! the ability to fly, and to learn how to pvp in a 3 dimensional way was such a unique part of this game. Also the aether tapping. I'd spend hours tapping aether because 1. it was profitable stuff and 2. flying and gathering was fun. 

Usually you would end up in some pvp fight also because the good aethertapping areas were in demand by both factions. *sigh. thanks for taking that away. 

 

I agree except of "thanks for taking that away". How do you write "pvp in a 3 dimensional way was such a unique part of this game" and "thanks for taking that away"? Aethertapping was most actual in Gelkmaros and there were VERY rarely Elyos (I play Asmo), also in Alukina's Palace in Beluslan and Arkanis Sky Temple in Morheim, if you needed lower levels of Aether, such as for Cippo Aether Gelly or Greater Healing Potion, enemies very rarely came to there. The highest Aether (Ancient) was useless, we couldn't morph from it, crafting food with it was complicated, and it was cheaper on the broker to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Xauieo-DN said:

Well, good news to all.

In 7.0, we are going to get "Flight Area" in the new region.

Oh, really? Will we have flight combat too?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NordicIII-KT said:

Oh, really? Will we have flight combat too?

Its an area were u can flying, so its possible for combat as well, if the opponent show up.

And it seems like it is close to the new region's Fort, so maybe a siege like we used to have during 4.X (in South Katalam, don't know its NA name).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Xauieo-DN said:

Its an area were u can flying, so its possible for combat as well, if the opponent show up.

And it seems like it is close to the new region's Fort, so maybe a siege like we used to have during 4.X (in South Katalam, don't know its NA name).

Oh, then when will 7.0 start here on NA?

On 11/24/2018 at 6:07 PM, Kailor-DN said:

Even PWI does flight better, tap key, fly ANYWHERE ANYTIME, fight in flight or on the ground, swim, fly underwater, suit yourself. And yes lots of wing skins, even one race that can fly from creation, the rest not until level 10 but, then, it's total free flight.

I am one of the few that loved aerial combat, yes it's best for ranged classes which I prefer to play but, I don[t see why they took that from us. Okay take the Abyss but, then give us another place for aerial PvP - so much fun to fly over with my sorc and nuke the sin or the cleric that's on the ground or at a lower elevation LOL 

What is PWI? Another flying game??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 7:08 PM, Kailor-DN said:

Let me see, Bless, Revalation, Riders of Icarus - all have flight and, Aion USED TO. For us flight lovers, I'd say Riders Of Icarus now has the best aerial combat and, a great wold, it's a lot of what Aion could have been.

What is Riders of Icarus, Bless, Revalation? Flying games? Thanks! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MetaBlack-KT said:

What is Riders of Icarus, Bless, Revalation? Flying games? Thanks! :)

Riders of Icarus - flying and fighting on mounts. Watching a video on Bless - only flying on mounts-dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 6:07 PM, Kailor-DN said:

Even PWI does flight better, tap key, fly ANYWHERE ANYTIME, fight in flight or on the ground, swim, fly underwater, suit yourself. And yes lots of wing skins, even one race that can fly from creation, the rest not until level 10 but, then, it's total free flight.

I am one of the few that loved aerial combat, yes it's best for ranged classes which I prefer to play but, I don[t see why they took that from us. Okay take the Abyss but, then give us another place for aerial PvP - so much fun to fly over with my sorc and nuke the sin or the cleric that's on the ground or at a lower elevation LOL 

I watched a video about PWI, it was rather laggy, low FPS, although yeah, looks like they are flying. Thanks. Aion was laggy on sieges in flight in Abyss, but now still more laggy in Lakrum on ground, with or without sieges, with video glitches (big crazy stripes etc) while my CPUs are busy less than 50%, memory too, good GPUs, looks like good equipment never helps to get rid of the lag :(

Edited by NordicIII-KT
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×