Adding the possibilty to turn on and off PVP

Ainion-KT

With asmodians and elyos now sharing lakrum, I like many others have run into a very annoying problem. When trying to level or do quests, I get murdered ruthlessly by the opposite faction players who are over geared or in groups 6v1. I thought of a way to solve this. Thinking back to Sarpan and Tiamaranta, they were neutral zones with the Reian people as neutral npcs. The thought was not to make the place neutral, but the players. With one npc in the Ancient Sanctum of Life for elyos, and one in the Ancient Temple of Wisdom for asmodians. This npc would give the player the option to pay with kinah to become neutral, where the opposite faction cannot attack you, but in turn you cannot attack the opposite faction either. To avoid problems this npc is the only one that can change it both from pvp off to pvp on. Now with the siege, to make it fair when siege starts this disables, and all non-pvp players are auto back to normal, when siege ends their pve only buff is back. This is but a wish. To make those while like pve more than pvp a little happier, while those who like pvp can still pvp to their hearts' content.

I can think of two problems with your suggestion.

The first is the weekly genesis crystal quests from the artifacts. Those crystals are what you use to buy your PvP gear and thus there should be some risk associated with acquiring them. If you wanted to make it impossible to gain genesis crystals with this buff/debuff on, then that would fix the first problem.

The second is that there are quests in the game that require you to kill other players. If the game design doesn't provide enough players running around on the map for other players to kill, it would be like having a quest that requires you to kill 5 of some mob and then only having them spawn randomly here and there over the map with a possibility that there won't be a single one. The game is designed to make it desirable to leave the start area and run about the map (either for quests or to get to an instance or farm crafting mats and power shards) just so that the map will always be full of possible kills for your opponents kill quests.

12 hours ago, Ainion-KT said:

With asmodians and elyos now sharing lakrum, I like many others have run into a very annoying problem. When trying to level or do quests, I get murdered ruthlessly by the opposite faction players who are over geared or in groups 6v1. I thought of a way to solve this. Thinking back to Sarpan and Tiamaranta, they were neutral zones with the Reian people as neutral npcs. The thought was not to make the place neutral, but the players. With one npc in the Ancient Sanctum of Life for elyos, and one in the Ancient Temple of Wisdom for asmodians. This npc would give the player the option to pay with kinah to become neutral, where the opposite faction cannot attack you, but in turn you cannot attack the opposite faction either. To avoid problems this npc is the only one that can change it both from pvp off to pvp on. Now with the siege, to make it fair when siege starts this disables, and all non-pvp players are auto back to normal, when siege ends their pve only buff is back. This is but a wish. To make those while like pve more than pvp a little happier, while those who like pvp can still pvp to their hearts' content.

Imagine the bots botting in safe mode in Lakrum though.

Your suggestion could have been more possible to act like Sarpan and Tiamaranta that some times of the day it was pve and others it was pvp.

I mean if Lakrum turned pve mode for like 1 hour every day, I assume everyone would be logged on at that time to finish their weeklies :D. I would have absolutely no saying on this, I do not farm myself, I do my weeklies the first 1~2 hours after the maintenance and it involves plenty of pvp especially when I go to the elyos side in Katalam where elyos are so many more than us.

7 hours ago, Eshilia-EK said:

@Arhangelos-KT I liked your idea, seems good

And it is something that was already previously implemented and dare I say successfully since it didn't hurt anyone, cause those maps weren't anything super important. So it wouldn't be too much for them to make.

But do not expect this to ever happen, after all this is a feature that I am not sure if the GMs in a game can make, it surely has more than that to do like developer stuff. And expect people to come here and write an essay of how you should "stop whining" and "get over it" and "learn to play" or even better "uninstall aion" and such. Forum grinders are in need of post count.

^^

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings Vintages,
Ladies and Gentlemen, I've been noticing that we do not have a change from PVP to PVE, as an Example I can cite some old games and pioneer of 2004, World of Warcraft Activision, where the character has this option to change pvp to pve, in the case of the Horde Faction needs to be in Ogrimmar Capital City, and in the Faction opposing Alliance Stormwind Capital City, and when this character makes this change uses other types of skill for PVP or PVE combat, I believe that if Aion has this feature the veterans of MMORPG Games will please, because as in the veteran game of this 2013, I am always struggling trying to complete the quests, but always have an Asmodian to get me out of the serious.

They should never have done away with the FTS.  Then players who want to pvp can pvp to their hearts content and those that don't also get their hearts content.  Win/Win.  Now it's back to the way it was in the very beginning with higher levels ganking ppl who have no chance at all. LOSE/LOSE.

Just my 2cents

• 4 weeks later...

I just got to lakrum with a friend cause we started aion for fun and to do dungeons together but just get destroyed by random players when we attempt quests and can't progress. So would love this option to turn pvp off so we could actually have fun. We don't care about fighting other players at all. 

On 1/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, Madrion-KT said:

They should never have done away with the FTS.  Then players who want to pvp can pvp to their hearts content and those that don't also get their hearts content.  Win/Win.  Now it's back to the way it was in the very beginning with higher levels ganking ppl who have no chance at all. LOSE/LOSE.

Just my 2cents

That would be nice but the PvP lovers do not want to PvP within themselves it would be too hard they like an easy fight, I hardly see any of them attacking a group of PvP usually are a group of PvP attacking a solo player. It's too much fun for them to aggravate a solo player.

2 hours ago, Timmain-KT said:

I wouldn't care except for they'd have to make it where you can't grind anything pvp related if you're flagged pve only, which they haven't separated yet.

*snip*

And that would be the tough part. You wouldn't be able to gain any material for crafting PvP gear without risking PvP. You wouldn't be able to gain anything used to PvP enchant (or make PvP enchants) without risking PvP. Not just no AP or PvP enchantment stones, but no guiding stones and no kibrium.

19 hours ago, Aly-DN said:

And that would be the tough part. You wouldn't be able to gain any material for crafting PvP gear without risking PvP. You wouldn't be able to gain anything used to PvP enchant (or make PvP enchants) without risking PvP. Not just no AP or PvP enchantment stones, but no guiding stones and no kibrium.

Do not forget No XP because it is used for morphing PvP stones.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

This is why turning all maps into safe zones 1 hour before daily reset wouldn't hurt anyone and rather allow ungeared people to finish their quests easily. Or even 2 hours who cares, that time is kinda dead anyways.

We actually had something like that way back when in Sarpan/Tiamaranta. There was an hour or two where PvP was allowed everywhere but in the main town, which was shared. What it turned into was pretty much the same as the non-raised safe pads from Kata/Dan era. People attacked and then hoping back over the line right before they died.

PvPers complained about people hoping in and out of the safe zone. PvEers complained that there was a few hours a day when they couldn't gather or do anything and were stuck sitting afk. It just didn't accomplish what anyone really wanted.

You just aren't going to bridge the gap between what strict PvPers and strict PvEers want in a game designed like Aion is. The game is billed as a PvPvE game.. a mix of both. Anyone looking only for one or the other is always going to be disappointed. A toggle would be a disaster, imo. The only thing that might work would be to have a PvP server and a PvE server with no ability to ever transfer between the two. The PvE server would have no sieges and no PvP gear, since it is un-needed. The PvE server would have no arenas and no PvP instances. It would be a heaven for instances and PvE gearing and crafting. The PvP server would have what we have right now.

If you look at games where PvP is totally optional, you can see why Aion as it is just wouldn't work. GW2 is just such a game. Open world is 100% PvP free. There is no toggle. It just isn't allowed. The world is huge and varied. Open world bosses have personal loot, so there is no competing for it. The crafting is profitable results in great gear. There are several modes of instanced PvP. The biggest is WvWvW which stands for World vs. World vs. World. The match ups reset every week, so you aren't constantly against the same worlds. Having three worlds helps any week from being a straight up slaughter. If one world is dominating, the other two worlds can gang up on them. You have to click a button to enter this. There are several maps you can enter. While there you can participate in a zerg or run solo or in small groups. You can help assault a big castle or a small outpost or just cut off supply routes. It's very dynamic and always fun. But it is 100% voluntary. There are players who never enter and those that never leave. But the game was designed to be that way. Aion wasn't. The PvP and the PvE are just too tangled up.

Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Aly-DN said:

PvPers complained about people hoping in and out of the safe zone. PvEers complained that there was a few hours a day when they couldn't gather or do anything and were stuck sitting afk. It just didn't accomplish what anyone really wanted.

I remember Tiamaranta, but turning all maps pve only for 1 hour before daily reset won't be an issue to pvpers, if 23 hours per day everything is pvp and you wait that last hour to complain then it is the pvper's problem.

But here I am trying to figure out how pve only would work when I personally have no issue with the game as it is, since I am always perma geared (still a drop dead sorc tho)

Archived