Help: Black screen flashing when playing

Fayfou-DN

Hello,

I've been having this issue after I changed from a laptop to a desktop. Whenever I'm playing, I'm having some weird black flashing screen from time to time when using skills. It mostly happens on my chanter, since I can use skills faster without CDs. On my cleric which I'm healing most of the time it doesn't happen as often, but the issue makes my chanter almost unplayable from how often it happens.
Last thing support asked me to do was to try running the game in different resolutions, after setting to lowest available which was 1024 x 768 the issue seemed to have been fixed, I didn't get any black flashing while playing. I kept going up, switching settings and resolutions and noticed by the time I get to 900p, it happened only once. At 1050p the issue just gets worse, which makes me think something about the screen size is making it worse. The FPS change didn't seem that much, so I don't think that could be the issue. Also, when the screen goes black, only Aion goes (I know cause I mostly play in windowed mode), UI still shows, but the game itself flashes black.
My graphic cards is up to date, last update being 1 week ago. I'm not very good with computers, so I'd appreciate a not so technical language.

I'm using the AMD Ryzen 3 2200 with integrated Vega 8 Graphics;
8GB ram;
Windows 10 64-bit.
(if you need other specific info let me know)

The drivers for your integrated graphics are almost certainly the culprit. See if there are available updates that you may have missed and see if that fixes things.

If you have the correct and most recent drivers and continue to see black flashes, it's because the integrated graphics cannot keep up with the demands of the game.

You could try playing on the absolute lowest settings and seeing if there are fewer flashes.

The best alternative would be to move to a discrete graphics card.

14 minutes ago, Forgotten-DN said:

The drivers for your integrated graphics are almost certainly the culprit. See if there are available updates that you may have missed and see if that fixes things.

If you have the correct and most recent drivers and continue to see black flashes, it's because the integrated graphics cannot keep up with the demands of the game.

You could try playing on the absolute lowest settings and seeing if there are fewer flashes.

The best alternative would be to move to a discrete graphics card.

I did update the graphics card to latest available, I've tested other games like Tera and EOS and both seem to work fine for me, FPS and screen wise, only Aion is having that issue. Could that still be cause of the graphics card? Do you think reinstalling Windows and doing a fresh graphics install could help in any way? (althought it hasn't even been a month since I got this)

It could be, but it depends on how you did your update. Did you let Windows check your drivers and it told you everything was updated, or did you go directly to the website and look for the most recent version? Windows occasionally gets things wrong and will download the closest alternative (but not necessarily the correct version) of your drivers. If you got your drivers directly from the website and did a manual install, then it's just Aion causing problems.

Do not do a complete Windows reinstall, that's unnecessary. I would definitely consider a driver check; find the motherboard manufacturer and go directly to their website and find the drivers listed for your board. If everything still checks, post a screenshot of your Aion graphics settings. Can investigate further from there.

1 hour ago, Forgotten-DN said:

It could be, but it depends on how you did your update. Did you let Windows check your drivers and it told you everything was updated, or did you go directly to the website and look for the most recent version? Windows occasionally gets things wrong and will download the closest alternative (but not necessarily the correct version) of your drivers. If you got your drivers directly from the website and did a manual install, then it's just Aion causing problems.

Do not do a complete Windows reinstall, that's unnecessary. I would definitely consider a driver check; find the motherboard manufacturer and go directly to their website and find the drivers listed for your board. If everything still checks, post a screenshot of your Aion graphics settings. Can investigate further from there.

I updated through the website, the last update available was on the 12nd. I'll try checking if I'm missing any motherboard drivers or something, cause I changed the computer to Windows when I first got it. Thank you, I'll see how it goes.

Archived