Need to get this out (minor rant)

Shichibukaii-DN

Ive been playing AION for yeaaars, back when we still had Tiamantara and what not (Dredgion etc) and now recently I read that they removed literally everything that made Aion what it was.

All the memories, all the good times I had with friends and strangers in all the great regions and dungeons - just gone.

Crafting was fun especially making potions but no, let us remove that aswell.

What are you thinking NCSoft? Why did you feel like you had to ruin and completely kill Aion so much?

Because they probably make a shitton of money off of their "mobile-esque" game that they have going on right now. That, and maybe to simplify it for their Korean F2P audience, since they went F2P with 6.0. Makes it easier to justify squeezing their playerbase for every penny they have when they have an f2p game than when 5.X was out and still P2P and hardcore cashshop there.

(this is not in support of NCsoft or their actions)

MMOs occupy a niche space in gaming. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, they were all the rage and an exceptionally easy way for gaming companies to make money. They paid an upfront development cost and then, regardless of whether or not the product was good, they could usually recoup their costs in the first few years after release. They then continuously turned a profit by putting out minor updates and coasting on micro-transactions. The problem is, this model no longer works and profits are drying up. Gamers are spoiled for choice and MMOs aren't appealing to mass audiences, so they're no longer worth the investment for most companies. This is also why we've seen shifts toward MOBAs, shooters, card games, mobile spin-offs of existing franchises, and Battle Royales. Game companies are simply going after what generates the most cash and dropping less popular genres.

Although clearly incompetent, I doubt NC had any intention of ruining the game as badly as they have; they simply have no understanding of their audience anymore. When they were developing 6.0 they probably relied heavily on a small focus group to figure out what to do after the 5.0 fiasco and came up with a model that functioned in Korea, but didn't take into account any other perspectives. Toss in overzealous bean-counters in corporate that demand high returns for their investors and you have the current mess that's in front of you.

On 7.1.2019 at 11:58 PM, Forgotten-DN said:

MMOs occupy a niche space in gaming. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, they were all the rage and an exceptionally easy way for gaming companies to make money. They paid an upfront development cost and then, regardless of whether or not the product was good, they could usually recoup their costs in the first few years after release. They then continuously turned a profit by putting out minor updates and coasting on micro-transactions. The problem is, this model no longer works and profits are drying up. Gamers are spoiled for choice and MMOs aren't appealing to mass audiences, so they're no longer worth the investment for most companies. This is also why we've seen shifts toward MOBAs, shooters, card games, mobile spin-offs of existing franchises, and Battle Royales. Game companies are simply going after what generates the most cash and dropping less popular genres.

Although clearly incompetent, I doubt NC had any intention of ruining the game as badly as they have; they simply have no understanding of their audience anymore. When they were developing 6.0 they probably relied heavily on a small focus group to figure out what to do after the 5.0 fiasco and came up with a model that functioned in Korea, but didn't take into account any other perspectives. Toss in overzealous bean-counters in corporate that demand high returns for their investors and you have the current mess that's in front of you.

Its just they killed all the memories we all made, back when we still had Tiamantara and the dungeons there, Dredgion is gone. LUT/UT poof. All the good memories they just decided to say fk ya'll.

10 hours ago, Shichibukaii-DN said:

Dredgion is gone. LUT/UT poof. 

We still have a dredgion, which is a copy-pasted map of the second (Baranath I think) or 3rd dredgion (Terath). We also still have LUT, although most bosses were removed, as were all paths except the main one.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:49 AM, Shichibukaii-DN said:

Its just they killed all the memories we all made, back when we still had Tiamantara and the dungeons there, Dredgion is gone. LUT/UT poof. All the good memories they just decided to say fk ya'll.

I too have been playing Aion since it's release all those years ago, and as a few ppl here already know about me I too feel like the powers that be just said F---k Y'all, as they took away everything that made Aion awesome. So I agree.

Archived