Incoming layoffs for NCwest and hopfully Gideon....

MRchang-KT

With the recent arenanet layoffs we can only expect NCwest employees to be fired as well.

Citing an internal email, Kotaku reported that NCSoft West’s CEO Songyee Yoon told employees: “Our live game business revenue is declining as our franchises age, delays in development on PC and mobile have created further drains against our revenue projects, while our operating costs in the west have increased … Where we are is not sustainable, and is not going to set us up for future success.”

Our live game business revenue is declining as our franchises age

WHAT IN THE EFF ARE YOU GUYS DOING OVER THERE???????????????????????????? NO CLUE????

UR NOT MAKING MONEY BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING TO BUY IN THE SHOP LOL????????????????????

What about $5 for 1000 transparent scrolls?

What about actual skins? RU shop has nearly every skin that was released in the past 10 years.

Enchantment stones?????? 945897b19f.png

I hope you lose ur job gideon lol

I thought it was pretty heartless of them to let go of Gaile Gray

In any case, it's poor taste to wish unemployment on anybody, even if you dislike them. We don't know what kind of restrictions Gideon (or any of the employees that interact with the community for that matter) had in doing his (their) job.

I fault poor decision making by leadership for everything that has gone wrong with NC's games in the past few years. It's unfortunate that employees and players alike have to deal with the fallout.

Poor decision making is 100% the factor here and that shows in this new economy, what is so hard about communicating with the NA community?? Your BCM profits will resemble the effort put into simply displaying items people want to friggin buy!

1 hour ago, MRchang-KT said:

With the recent arenanet layoffs we can only expect NCwest employees to be fired as well.

Citing an internal email, Kotaku reported that NCSoft West’s CEO Songyee Yoon told employees: “Our live game business revenue is declining as our franchises age, delays in development on PC and mobile have created further drains against our revenue projects, while our operating costs in the west have increased … Where we are is not sustainable, and is not going to set us up for future  success.

What's about $5 for 1000 Transparent scrolls.

Or, here's a thought, how about $0 for allowing us to see our own f$&king characters as we originally created them?

Who in their right mind is going to pay $10+ on a single one time use costume when their toons will be hidden behind some God awful furry costume illusion which can't be hidden UNLESS they purchase a special scroll that hides it for them for more cash?

Wanna know why your business model is failing here in the west NCSoft, (besides making monumentally stupid decisions like this furry costume scroll disaster among others)? It's simple, western gaming tastes are different than eastern gaming tastes. Had you actually invested time and money into figuring that out, (which I thought was the whole point of NCWest), perhaps your aging games wouldn't be so close to collapse. So much for "listening to your western players and catering to their specific needs" .

You ignore us...we ignore you. Taking things out on your underlings who's only crime was following your asinine orders to the T will solve nothing. You'll continue to copy paste Korean patches over to the West and hope we simply adapt, but we won't. Western players will continue to reject your ideas, and continue to leave in droves and not until the end will you finally see the error of your ways. Oh well, live and learn.

Though in your case, I won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

1 hour ago, Forgotten-DN said:

Still floored by that one. She's a freaking icon for Guild Wars. She pretty much is Guild Wars for me!

It's pretty terrible that there are so many layoffs going on across the entire gaming industry atm.

I think they listen to you, but they just don't do anything about it. People are telling you over and over how to make your game fun, but you do the opposite. No lie, that's why I quit, have to pay to see my character. You must be crazy if you think I'm doing that. .

Man, after reading that article from the first post, and the wiki, screw this company.

I only came back to retail to play part time with friends anyway. The experience I -want- out of retail I can get somewhere else.
This company is like a bad relationship you keep giving chances to. Not anymore lmao

Um, I may be missing something here, but this email occured last week and was in reference to mass guild wars layoffs because ArenaNet is combining with Ncsoft West. I really didn't see anything about Ncwest layoffs. 

However, I completely agree that they need to start listening to the player base as opposed to the "big bosses." Once they start appeasing to the West's tastes, they will have a chance to get some money back here. One thing I have seen with the video game industry, is that it's never to late for a game to redeem itself. The only question is whether the people in charge are willing to make to make those pushes and accompanying changes to save it. 

7 hours ago, Zombiex-DN said:

Then the solution to all the problems is to have a p2w shop hehe that's your point?

If it's a cheap p2w, then everyone will be p2w and everyone will be happy. Make everything tradeable. Put every single skin to date in the shop and transparent scrolls in the kinah shop for the same price as normal scrolls. Add PVP enchants too and 30-days prestige, also tradeable. It's not really hard for them to make money and please everyone.

People will cry about p2w no matter what. Might as well make it p2w for real.

The major problem is that everything in the shop is extremely expensive. That way only a little portion of the community can afford it and be p2w. Make it cheap and you make money by selling more.

1 hour ago, Konkers-EK said:

If it's a cheap p2w, then everyone will be p2w and everyone will be happy. Make everything tradeable. Put every single skin to date in the shop and transparent scrolls in the kinah shop for the same price as normal scrolls. Add PVP enchants too and 30-days prestige, also tradeable. It's not really hard for them to make money and please everyone.

People will cry about p2w no matter what. Might as well make it p2w for real.

The major problem is that everything in the shop is extremely expensive. That way only a little portion of the community can afford it and be p2w. Make it cheap and you make money by selling more.

TBH i learnt over my time playing both Aion and BDO that those who complain about p2w will never pay simply because they like the subscription model better. These are the players that can afford a monthly sub but refuse to put that $15 a month in to a cash shop simply because its a cash shop and not a subscription.

You can not simply just make things cheaper and players will start paying. There will always be a reason why people will not avoid spending on X or Y game. It is like how many players spend nothing simply because other players can spend more then them. Cheap would however allow them to squeeze the remaining pennies out before they close a game down. 

The big difference between the BDO/Aion cash shops as they currently show why NCsoft/west are falling behind simply on game design. BDO the cash shop enhances the gaming experience while Aion's cash shop replaces the game experience.

P.S i do not think Aion is closing down anytime soon before those guys/girls chime in here :)/

8 hours ago, mooMOOMooMoomoo-KT said:

Aion is not developed by NCWest.

On the other hand, I wonder what will happen to Guild Wars 1...

Been worried about GW1 since 2 came out. :/ More concerned now, but I like to believe it's stupid cheap to continue to keep up in maint mode.

But this is NCsoft and an increasingly shitty gaming company trend right now.

Makes me wonder if they are trying to pull out of the west.  They just did total game over hall patches for both Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar and within a year shut down both games.  Just like Aion they had a surge in population followed by empty servers. Clearly just trying to make a buck before getting out!

What does entertain me is all of these entitled brats telling NC to do this this and this if they want to be successful.... 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:20 PM, MRchang-KT said:

I hope you lose ur job gideon lol

Wishing evil to others kinda shows what type of person you really are, pathetic and disgraceful.

Considering the fact ArenaNet has gotten a lot of layoffs, it shows us what's happening at NCSOFT and their possible future approach, specifically to NCWest. 

This is it, ladies and gentlemen, Aion NA will be shutting down soon enough if things keep on going like this.

Right. But ArenaNet is laying off specifically because of the state of GW. Aion doesn't effect them and GW doesn't effect us.

These layoffs say more about the MMO genre than they do specifically about our game. MMOs just aren't the thing right now. Playership is down across the board.

According to https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/auv0gr/an_overview_of_the_layoffs_and_events_today_at/ , the layoff is mainly due to lack of progress on two of Arenanet's unannounced titles. One of them is a mobile title.

2 hours ago, Phantom-EK said:

Makes me wonder if they are trying to pull out of the west.  They just did total game over hall patches for both Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar and within a year shut down both games.  Just like Aion they had a surge in population followed by empty servers. Clearly just trying to make a buck before getting out!

What does entertain me is all of these entitled brats telling NC to do this this and this if they want to be successful.... 

Guild Wars 2 is shutting down?

Is Arenanet an subsidiary of NCWest? or NCSoft HQ (Korea)?

On 3/2/2019 at 4:48 AM, Timmain-KT said:

Still floored by that one. She's a freaking icon for Guild Wars. She pretty much is Guild Wars for me!

It's pretty terrible that there are so many layoffs going on across the entire gaming industry atm.

I liked Gaile Gray she was "Guild Wars" to me. I played GW2 but I did not like it as much as the first one.

I think all this is just an excuse for NCSoft to close some games now that they have transferred them to the mobile phone. If they think I will play a game on the phone well, they are horribly wrong. If Aion will be terminate I won't ever again buy or play another NCS game! >:(

1 hour ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

@HealingSquid, can you elaborate more on that ?

I am basing this off the new player experience here not the existing player experience simply because existing players will always have it better as they should. Not sure how much you know about BDO so i will try not to make it a lengthy post to go in to full detail.

A new player in BDO will be met with 

1. x2 pets $10 ea and if they are lucky a 3rd pet from the daily attendance reward if they started on the 3rd month,
  2. 2 maids $10 ea,
  3. 3x 7 day value packs(prestige pack of BDO) as well a coupon for 50%(mite be less now tho not 100% on this one) off your first value pack as well as coupons for other things like weight and so on.
  4. Inventory slots $4 worth or something not much at all.
  5. Lots of weekly sales on new player friendly items like weight/pets/inventory and so on. It also has new player packs that gives a player for $35 maybe $45 a little bit of everything including a month value pack. As well as a Tier 5(maybe T7 permanent mount).

All these freebies give them a taste of what the cash shop can do for them as a player with out making them not participate in core gameplay I.E grinding/lifeskilling. Lifeskilling can actually be done and enjoyed in BDO with a total of $60 put in to the game.

A new player in Aion is met with

Well that is just it when i look at Aion's cash shop as well as its general first month in the game it really does not have anything it can offer its new players. A 7 day prestige pack and I think you can get a free 7 day mount and a few items(i forgot all the items you got). Then when you look at Aion's cash shop it does not scream new player it screams existing player. Expensive mounts, Expensive storage expansion, enchantment items, Event items and so on. None of which would enhance the new players experience in the game.

This is with-out mentioning all the issues inside the game like Kinah problems and so on. All in All nothing Aion does nothing to help a player feel like their game can be enhanced by the cash shop it feels like it replaces what should already be in the game...I.E transparent scrolls. <--- Does not affect me at all but i know to many its an annoying feature that is purposefully not getting put in game to tempt players in to buying them for RMT out of frustration of the want to see their own character. 

Unfortunately this would need to be about 3 pages long to really get in to it as it is a lengthy topic that ties in to the entire first 3 month journey in both games.

Archived