Support Chanter at Endgame

Fatal-KT

.....so I came back to the game a few days ago after a year hiatus, and discovered that:

1. There's no lvl 75 ap shield for chanters

2. Ap gear only has atk speed mace for chanters

3. No ap casting speed gloves for chanters

Are there any decent alternatives? Or is NC intending for support chanters to be a thing of the past?

You can use any PvE cast speed mace for PvP since you won't be attacking. The shield is mystifying. You could stay with the mythic bloodmedal shield, I suppose. You could use those gloves, too. 

For the longest time, clerics got the short end of the stick. It seems like it's the chanters turn. 

Sure! I looked more closely at the Lunar New Shield and it has no magic suppression whatsoever, so that's out. I guess that the Boundless Scale Shield is the only real alternative now. Problem is: I've no idea how to get Boundless gear! Does it drop from a instance?

Did some more research. For anyone interested:

- Only applicable endgame shields support chanters can use seem to consist of the Boundless shield, obtained from Sky Island in Norsvold where you have to fight elite mobs with an alliance and roll on the drops so chances of getting it is like getting the Sunayaka hairpin, I'm guessing.  And:

- Shield of Eternal Glory which is level 80 and not in game yet. I'm told it'll be here with the 5.8 update (in a year, maybe more?). Here's a link: http://aiondatabase.net/en/item/115001971/

- Why these shields? The others don't have pvp defense or magic suppression

- Arena shield is only lvl 70 and weak compared to the AP shield, so that's out too

First of all, make sure you are using the English version of a database, not the EU but the NA one. Different names for any 3.5+ content.

That shield is just another of the Boundless series. It is in-game. All Boundless gear drops from Sky Island. However, it requires its second phase, which is difficult to trigger.

Also, if it was only being introduced in 5.8, then it would be in Korean/Russian in the Korean/Russia database.

We've had several events giving out Boundless gear boxes (weapon boxes are harder to get though, we usually get armor/acc boxes), which is how most people got their Boundless gear.

Also, asmo factions (except KR) regularly farm Ahserion (from Panesterra siege), which also drops a very nice shield (not class-restricted), it tends to go for high prices but if you can attend it yourself you may get lucky and get it from your loot box -> http://aiondatabase.net/us/item/115002174/

As far as shields go you can use:

Furious Ahserion Shield, Arena Shield, Mythic Rank 1 shield, Boundless (lvl 77/80), or mythic blood mark.

Gloves, I'm currently using are the cloth Ahserion gloves. But there's also:

Arena gloves, boundless, and mythic blood mark.

Currently using boundless as a block set and 75ap as an MR set. I use the boundless plate helm (lvl77) for block and the Operation Soldier's Lost Glasses for MR (they are a drop from dredgion).Also use Wurg the Glacier's wings for that extra pvp defense.

And yeah unless you're asmodian, you're 99.99999999% not likely to get any Ahserion stuff from second phase of Panesterra (which only requires you to cap a fort and kill the boss at second phase).

just something to consider:

Block sets are somewhat a thing of the past for both Clerics & Chanters and the main difference between lower end shields like 70 Arena and endgame shields like 75A/80 Ahserion are the amount of Block they give (which for reference is almost 300 more on 75A and closer to 400 on 80 Ahserion).

nowadays you're better off investing in a Strike Resist/Agility set which means you don't need to compare the base Block or even +15 your shield since you won't be blocking anything but maybe some mobs anyway. i would highly recommend checking out Yec's Ultimate Introduction to Chanter guide if you haven't already, even as a returning player it's a great thread and covers what you should be looking at getting as far as 5.1/5.3+ gear goes. 
for a Strike Resist/Agility set you're better off throwing in some (2 or 3 is ideal) 75A armor pieces with Agility +9 or +10 manastones for the extra PvP defense & Godstone Suppression but the full Mythic BM armor set or anything like the old 65A Shadowshift/Seraph and R1 Mythic Overlord/Evangale sets are a good place to start (especially if you already have them from before you quit).

Block sets can still be somewhat viable but you need a lot of pretty costly gear (full 77 Boundless with either a 77-80 Boundless or 80 Ahserion shield) and most endgame geared physical classes can tear through it with ease anyway.

also, on the topic of gloves, i don't think there's been a pair of Casting Speed chain gloves since the old R1 Eternal AP gear for Clerics or Chanters, always had to use an alternative which nowadays is like cloth/chain 65 Mythic BM, 70 Arena, 77 Boundless, etc.

On 9/21/2017 at 8:31 AM, Championchanter-SL said:

.....so I came back to the game a few days ago after a year hiatus, and discovered that:

1. There's no lvl 75 ap shield for chanters

2. Ap gear only has atk speed mace for chanters

3. No ap casting speed gloves for chanters

Are there any decent alternatives? Or is NC intending for support chanters to be a thing of the past?

NC is intending for the pre-stigma update chanters to be a thing of the past. The closer you get to endgame, the more pointless it is to heal-bot your way to victory. Just like how HP templars and heal-bot songweavers are a thing of the past, so are heal-bot chanters. I think it's a great way to start out to practice, but at endgame, it's one of the least optimal things you can possibly do with this class. I'd even go so far as to say that something as ridiculed as a DPS-spec chanter brings more to the table than a heal-bot chanter.

My advice: switch between your mace and staff. Switch between healing and dpsing. Do all this in support spec. Be flexible for your group instead of specializing in one task that your class isn't known for. You don't need a high-end shield to do all of this. 

It's been nearly 2 years since the skill update that gave chanters the ability to be this flexible. As a fellow chanter, I hope you end up utilizing all of your skills in PvP instead of a subset of skills that both heal-bot chanters and dps-spec chanters rely on.

8 hours ago, Rinkusan-SL said:

My advice: switch between your mace and staff. Switch between healing and dpsing. Do all this in support spec. Be flexible for your group instead of specializing in one task that your class isn't known for. You don't need a high-end shield to do all of this. 

This has always been my opinion on the class too. We're given a hybrid assortment of skills for a reason. Personally, I like to run a 72% support/28% DPS stigma set-up, put my essence into precision and power, and then socket mostly precision and power. I put health in my mace, and my shield has healing boost stones. I feel like I do all right both solo and in group settings with this set-up.

On the topic of shields, I have the mythic blood medal shield. It's only a so-so shield at first glance, BUT here are the reasons I like it (only for PVP support; I have Apollon shield for PVE support):

1. It's so easy/cheap to obtain. Maybe not in levels 66-68, but past that, we all get so many blood marks and blood medals.

2. It doesn't break! Hallelujah. Most of us have a ton of those black enchantment stones just sitting in our inventory because we're too scared to use them on our good, breakable archdaeva gear. So I just dropped those black stones into this shield. Fail? No biggie. It will drop one level, but it won't break. So eventually you can get it enchanted up into a very workable shield.

3. It takes ancient manastones, so I was able to use the healing boost stones in it.

On 9/23/2017 at 8:38 AM, Vantheria-IS said:

This has always been my opinion on the class too. We're given a hybrid assortment of skills for a reason. Personally, I like to run a 72% support/28% DPS stigma set-up, put my essence into precision and power, and then socket mostly precision and power. I put health in my mace, and my shield has healing boost stones. I feel like I do all right both solo and in group settings with this set-up.

On the topic of shields, I have the mythic blood medal shield. It's only a so-so shield at first glance, BUT here are the reasons I like it (only for PVP support; I have Apollon shield for PVE support):

1. It's so easy/cheap to obtain. Maybe not in levels 66-68, but past that, we all get so many blood marks and blood medals.

2. It doesn't break! Hallelujah. Most of us have a ton of those black enchantment stones just sitting in our inventory because we're too scared to use them on our good, breakable archdaeva gear. So I just dropped those black stones into this shield. Fail? No biggie. It will drop one level, but it won't break. So eventually you can get it enchanted up into a very workable shield.

3. It takes ancient manastones, so I was able to use the healing boost stones in it.

Absolutely. In my opinion, it's so strange that it's taken so much longer for chanters to adapt to our hybrid set of skills compared to other classes. Most templars have mastered their balance of dps and support even before the update, and many SW's quickly found their balance after the update thanks to the always-useful chorus of blessing and their insane burst-DPS. On the other hand, an overwhelming majority of us - whether it's in North America, EU, or even Korea - put zero/minimum effort into looking for an optimal balance. I think it's ironic that one of the most adaptable classes in the game has adapted the slowest to their new set of skills. And I mean the absolute slowest. There are even a handful of support clerics now who know how to switch between healing and DPSing :/ 

On the topic of shields, I personally don't see much of a point in enchanting a shield for chanters. The only benefit you gain from enchanting a shield is increased block and damage reduction from blocking. Realistically, you're only ever going to block something if you're in a block set (which imo isn't a good idea) or fighting someone with gear that's outdated by several patches. Also they nerfed the success rate on black stones by a lot, so I don't think it's a viable option for +15'ing your shield anymore. I couldn't even get a piece of non-archdaeva gear past +4.

Archived