Whatever, right?! List things you would like back/new in Aion!

9 hours ago, HealingSquid-KT said:

unknown.png

Probably has something to do with this. Looks to me like the game is heading in the direction of Aion with all those merges :D Are you sure its their baby?

At least it's "easy" to merge the servers because there's no housing to worry about, and names are regional, so no name changes, lol. xD

That said, that's where all the NA team is, and they get updates relatively quickly, so, yes, they definitely have more focus on BnS than Aion.

11 hours ago, Kubei-DN said:

Oops, read that as Lineage 2 merge, my bad.

Makes me think actually. BnS had way too many servers and I know people complained about it being more p2w than Aion. Since I never really played it that much, can't make my own judgement about it. But it is still true the management focuses there mostly.

Funnily enough, Lineage 2 is almost giving them more revenue than BnS for once lol.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/quarterly.aspx

I've heard that L2 Classic is the most p2w game to date. So it's only common for it to be generating revenue. Teh tards buy it all!

This game used to be enjoyable. But just like with any mmorpg. The longer they are out the worse they get. You're right, the game feels like a shell of its former self. It's like someone said, " Ok, what makes Aion a fun, immersive game to play? Delete all of it." I used to play Blade and Soul too, that game is not doing well either, everyone I knew on there quit for so many reasons. After dealing with these games for a few years I have come to the conclusion that any mmorpg from Korea is something to be avoided like the plague. Whatever you do, do not invest your time and money into them. You're getting scammed. They have you guys buying scrolls so you can see your own character. I mean, they must really think you people are stupid and will spend money on anything. It makes me mad because they have something good on their hands, they just refuse to do the right thing with it. All of NCSoft's games are doing really bad. Not because they're poorly made games, but because the directions they choose to take with them are bad. They just don't understand that games need to be fun if you want people to play them. Aion is just generic now. I can't in my right mind figure out why they would ruin this game like they did. The only thing I can think of is some guy who is in charge sucks at his job.

I have been observing various MMOs for decades.

I think the old-style of leveling/grouping/raiding that we were introduced to in Everquest, WoW, etc is dying in general. This isn't just about Aion. The games I see active and flourishing with no massive population drops don't go along with this gameplay style.

The issue is this: What happens to any and all long running MMOs?

The original players all get to the endgame, and other than making an alt or two, stay there. And as time goes by, older players even lose interest in alts. Newer players show up, and get trapped in the content we once considered fun, as they can get no assistance in content that requires groups and alliances. Many will give up and leave.

As time goes by, the "endgame" players get bored of waiting for the next expansion and leave to find other things to do. They don't scream on the forums and make a point of leaving. They just stop logging in one day when the next shiny thing gets their attention.

So how do you fix this problem? Previously games would solve it by either making leveling really really fast, or allowing you to buy your way up to the top. I don't think this is good.

I see what Aion is *trying* to do. (And no, I don't think they're trying to purposely kill off the game.) Whether or not I agree with it, I understand why they are doing it. They see games such as Everquest 2 and WoW slowly dying off, trying to re-invent themselves with classic servers and whatnot. How long will it last as those "classic" server playerbases vote in the next expansion, and how long before those servers die off as well? Meanwhile, they see games like Sea of Thieves (entirely stat-less and gearless) improbably starting with next to nothing, getting absolutely panned by the media, and now flourishing and becoming "in". So they're basically trying to make leveling entirely irrelevant so that all players are on equal ground. Do I agree with it? Honestly, I'm not sure. I heavily miss the old areas and used to go back and just hang for atmosphere. 

I see some possibility in the "pandora" missions. The idea that old areas could be revitalized with new content is something that gives me hope for some of our missing lands, such as Verteron and Eltnen. 

But I think the games that will survive and thrive in the future are ones that put all players on equal ground regardless of when they joined.

If a  game is good, people will play it. There's a WoW Wrath of the Lich King private server that is capped all day with 12 thousand people online, and that's just one server, across the 3 servers they have there's around 30k people playing at anytime. I have never seen an MMORPG that populated anywhere, people are everywhere there. The reason people love it is because Wrath of The Lich King was awesome, even if it's over10 years old. It's still the best game. I routinely enjoy playing old school games because they're just fun and challenging in a good way. I like games where you level up, but when they make it so easy you lose the feeling of accomplishment. A leveling game should make a person think, " Omg, awesome, I just reached level 30, job well done." If you're just going to make leveling so easy and you can gain 20 levels in a day. You need to just remove the leveling process. There's no point to it. You level so quickly you don't even get to learn your class before you're maxed. Take Warframe for instance. You can't level up your mastery unless you take a test, and each mastery level has a more challenging test, so if you see someone with mastery level 15, you know that guy is extremely skillful. The levels mean something. On Aion, your gear and your levels mean nothing, they are not an indication of how good you are. You really can't wear anything in Aion with pride of your accomplishment. All it means is you sat on your ass longer than someone else did, or you had better RNG than someone else did.

10 hours ago, Polychrome-DN said:

I have been observing various MMOs for decades.

I think the old-style of leveling/grouping/raiding that we were introduced to in Everquest, WoW, etc is dying in general. This isn't just about Aion. The games I see active and flourishing with no massive population drops don't go along with this gameplay style.

The issue is this: What happens to any and all long running MMOs?

The original players all get to the endgame, and other than making an alt or two, stay there. And as time goes by, older players even lose interest in alts. Newer players show up, and get trapped in the content we once considered fun, as they can get no assistance in content that requires groups and alliances. Many will give up and leave.

As time goes by, the "endgame" players get bored of waiting for the next expansion and leave to find other things to do. They don't scream on the forums and make a point of leaving. They just stop logging in one day when the next shiny thing gets their attention.

So how do you fix this problem? Previously games would solve it by either making leveling really really fast, or allowing you to buy your way up to the top. I don't think this is good.

I see what Aion is *trying* to do. (And no, I don't think they're trying to purposely kill off the game.) Whether or not I agree with it, I understand why they are doing it. They see games such as Everquest 2 and WoW slowly dying off, trying to re-invent themselves with classic servers and whatnot. How long will it last as those "classic" server playerbases vote in the next expansion, and how long before those servers die off as well? Meanwhile, they see games like Sea of Thieves (entirely stat-less and gearless) improbably starting with next to nothing, getting absolutely panned by the media, and now flourishing and becoming "in". So they're basically trying to make leveling entirely irrelevant so that all players are on equal ground. Do I agree with it? Honestly, I'm not sure. I heavily miss the old areas and used to go back and just hang for atmosphere. 

I see some possibility in the "pandora" missions. The idea that old areas could be revitalized with new content is something that gives me hope for some of our missing lands, such as Verteron and Eltnen. 

But I think the games that will survive and thrive in the future are ones that put all players on equal ground regardless of when they joined.

They most definitely tried to kill the game with the equipment "update" that made the equipment of everyone who wasn't playing at the time (and a whale) completely useless.

They've basically killed the game by making geared players completely invincible against non-geared ones. Old system, 12 players could kill you even if they were in NPC gold gear and you had general gear - that damage added up. Now? You can take on full alliances and never die (if you have heals) - because what's 100 damage on 50k HP? Such a system will never be able to attract new players as there is an insurmountable gap now that trading is also gone. One of my best PVP fights was me in 60AP gear in 3.5 against 5 players in PVE gear - I won with about 500 HP left and only because I got them one after another and they had terrible teamwork. Nowadays? You can forget about stuff like that.

Can't trade, can't gear up fast, can't fight - why bother playing? It's no coincidence in this patch I have not seen the influx of new players that have accompanied every other previous patch. It's mostly returning veterans trying it out or the existing renamed players who never left.

Archived