What was wrong the old siege mechanics?

Gabe-DN

Seriously, what was wrong with old siege mechanics?  Why did guards on outer perimeter of a fort become become more important then diety inside the fort?  The current mechanic is about as stupid as you could possibly imagine.  Sure I can get a hook, xform and say f my faction as I usually do and go for pve mobs but after a couple of weeks, the whole concept is really starting to annoy me to the point of taking a break.   Nobody wants to work with anybody (who can blame them) because it might lower their GP gain.  I would rather see old mechanics (dps per class) come back into play then keep the current mechanic.  Am I alone?

41 minutes ago, Ele-DN said:

It is the same as the old siege mechanic. Ap gain = rewards. 

So what you're saying is.. you don't siege. Gotcha.

@Gabe-DN Completely agree. The addition of the GP mobs was a very odd decision if you want your faction to work together. I cringe when I see all the transform pops before the siege even starts. I know they promised alternate ways to gain GP outside of siege rewards, but those mobs really aren't the way to go.

12 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

So what you're saying is.. you don't siege. Gotcha.

@Gabe-DN Completely agree. The addition of the GP mobs was a very odd decision if you want your faction to work together. I cringe when I see all the transform pops before the siege even starts. I know they promised alternate ways to gain GP outside of siege rewards, but those mobs really aren't the way to go.

How exactly do you know? Whats the problem with going to siege solo for 5,10-15 mins and getting maxed reward? 

10 minutes ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

You guys are forgetting that those changes are meant for Korea, where they destroy the dux in 5 secs and kill 30% of gate even before they get teleported out in the start.

No joke. I wonder why they haven't increased siege mobs and obstacles defense against players yet. A Divine siege lasts 20 seconds lol.

I don't really have too many ideas on this but I agree with Gabe that it ruins the whole concept of a siege. Not sure of a change though that wouldn't be abused or be partial to one group of people over another. 

I guess only thing I could think of is to make GP mobs stronger and harder to kill and give a better reward to the alliance that kills them. However, that could be abused as well so idk.

I think we need a specific system for the nuances of our region, but frankly I'm not sure anyone who does coding or development for Aion cares enough to do that for us. There's been lots of good ideas of how to implement GP into arenas, instances with non-repeatable quests, quests for different ranked PVP kills in open world, and many others that would be so cool to see put into play. Like, one of my favourite ideas is that to maintain your Abyss Rank (I have mixed feelings on how it would relate to the competition ranking), a certain amount of your GP gain must come from siege participation. And I'd like to see GP entirely removed from the mobs outside the fortress if other means aren't added, because I'm just sick to death of people blowing their xforms in the first few minutes so they can fight over scraps.

The good thing about the coalition system was that everyone had to work together, and support classes weren't penalized for lack of dps. At least, I don't think it was as severe as in the current patch? My memory is a little fuzzy on the GP credit because a downside of coalitions was that it was mostly a big old afk fest and I quit attending regularly after a while. That and the system abuse, another downside of coalitions. Echhh. ¬¬

Anyways I basically think NA needs adjustments to how GP is earned, so that

1. There are multiple methods of GP gain, to prevent having a dozen people with the exact same GP count
  2. It's not flagrantly p2w; the IB resets were outta control and we all know it xD
  3. People aren't rewarded for playing in a way that's actively detrimental to their faction (afking, wasting xforms, sniping captains, etc. etc.)
  4. It's not a 100% PVE dps race like practically everything else in the game right now that's worth doing (IDD, PF, ADredge, and ID are already like this; now the GP mobs and artifact flipping quests have the exact same thing going on. Snoozle.)

6 hours ago, Euphoria-DN said:

I just hope they never bring that that dreadful coalition system cause that was the worst experience.

You know, that wouldn't have been so bad if you had been able to apply as a group or an alliance. The worst part of it was not being able to be with your friends and not having the correct people as leads. If you could have formed an alliance and then entered the coalition as that alliance with your leads intact, it actually would have been effective.

What I liked about the coalition was that it forced the faction to work together, which was a good thing. We all were sinking or swimming together. It was a good idea that was implemented poorly.

So we went from too much forced togetherness to 100% total selfishness. There is a happy medium. We didn't need to do from one extreme to the other.

16 hours ago, Ele-DN said:

Which isn't the siege itself. its then gp farming.

I don't know what to say to you.  You think standing around 10 minutes getting 320 gp and a dumb box in the mail is max reward, I don't see it that way myself.  You think going for the guards is "GP farming" and not part of the siege itself then let me break it down for you.  Do you really think we can lose the fort that many times or would it be the people who as you call it "are not siegeing but gp farming"  control the fate of the fort because it is in their best interest NOT to take the fort.  They run thru, get 5x more gp then you do (thinking ur gettng max reward) and then decide not to help take the fort because they get more gp farming guards on a loss then owning the fort for the next rotation.  Trust me, gp farming IS part of the siege and then everyone stands around after siege linking their boxes thinking they are special and beast for getting what basically everybody and their dog got.  I guess it depends on which you value more, the gp or the pretty little box with enchantment stone that more then likely will fail anyway.  I don't care who owns the fort, I am just pointing out what is going on since you seem totally unaware how siege actually works for the bulk of the players not trying to log in and out on alts getting "max reward"

The GP acquisition is not working as intended because we are a dead server, the guards are plenty and the players are not. If a server has 2.000 active people and they all attack a fortress, the GP per person from guards would be minimal. Effectively 300 GP from winning a siege is the most people make in an alive server and the additional GP from guards are just making the fine tuning.

On our servers the guards are game changers since we have like 100 people actively trying to kill them, or even less.

Coalition was the most retarded thing they ever though which started killing the game. In 4.0 people would siege in their own unique way, others solo, others in groups or alliances and others in leagues, legions would cap the fortress, the faction would have exclusive instances on the fortresses and the legions owning a fortress would get even more benefits. then coalition came, forcing people to be in in a pit or alts and afkers. And then sieges were no longer fun, while 5.0 also brought many bad changes and people started to quit.

The current siege is the correct way of doing it, have total freedom of how you do it, the faction is not a floating blue elephant, it is the people and people decide how to play their game and nobody decides what is best for them other than themselves. ALL siege types were benefiting soloers or offensive classes or people with transform, remember when people would drop from alliance to transform and dps the fortress Deity?

The GP from guards are another issue of course and it could be re-implemented on our region due to lower number of people.

Contibution should also be healing a faction member or resurrecting a dead faction member along with just the dps. But isn't EVERY class on this game a max dps class already? There are not tanks, or hybrids, or special classes, every class now is dps along with healing, tanking, debuffing etc.

7 hours ago, Gabe-DN said:

I don't know what to say to you.  You think standing around 10 minutes getting 320 gp and a dumb box in the mail is max reward, I don't see it that way myself.  You think going for the guards is "GP farming" and not part of the siege itself then let me break it down for you.  Do you really think we can lose the fort that many times or would it be the people who as you call it "are not siegeing but gp farming"  control the fate of the fort because it is in their best interest NOT to take the fort.  They run thru, get 5x more gp then you do (thinking ur gettng max reward) and then decide not to help take the fort because they get more gp farming guards on a loss then owning the fort for the next rotation.  Trust me, gp farming IS part of the siege and then everyone stands around after siege linking their boxes thinking they are special and beast for getting what basically everybody and their dog got.  I guess it depends on which you value more, the gp or the pretty little box with enchantment stone that more then likely will fail anyway.  I don't care who owns the fort, I am just pointing out what is going on since you seem totally unaware how siege actually works for the bulk of the players not trying to log in and out on alts getting "max reward"

You're right, its all about who values what more. Theres fort rewards and GP from mobs. What if none of these were giving during siege. Would anyone go? If sieges were actually fun and not give out rewards like it does now, would people still go to it? just like harmony and disciplines, why were people begging for seasonal rankings back in discipline and harmony? isn't it for the 1v1 and 3v3 or rigging the rankings for cheap easy rewards? 50 first places in harmony is a joke. So you have to ask, it is about the siege or the siege rewards? The ones going for ranks obviously don't care about fort rewards which is at least 30+ on each faction and thats only a small part of the population. They would have to do all their gp quests everyday to be there. It does show cares about the siege when we see xforming before the siege starts right? But then again, why did it take 5+ months to give out pvp crafting material out evenly to both dominating and weak faction? I'll take my 10 mins siege reward.

8 hours ago, Ele-DN said:

Theres fort rewards and GP from mobs. What if none of these were giving during siege. Would anyone go? If sieges were actually fun and not give out rewards like it does now, would people still go to it?

...that is a good example you brought and the answer would be "no", why would anyone go anywhere when there is no reward? Whatever we do in game has a reward to make it desirable to do.

Nobody like to go to Primeth Forge 200 times over and over again for fun, we all want that last 1~2 drops that we cannot get and many people skip the "fun" of doing it another 200 times by buying loot rights from others. Because fun is when you get a reward you want, something to feel like you worked for.

At the moment the guards give so much GP that they are more important than anything else. And yes, this is a "bad" mechanic and this could change in future if the devs decide so.

Archived