Returning players need guidance

VukenTemplaro-DN

Hi everyone,

My wife and I played this game when it first out and then we left it because of all the farmers and a lousy guild we happened to join which ruined everything.  We recently decided to check out the game and see if it is worth coming back.  Would anyone be kind enough to give us some guidance, tip, or advises on the game... ?  We duo a lot and what the best combo for us to survive the pve and eventually into pvp?  Thank you for your kindness and hopefully this time it would be a great experience.

I would consider it strange to quit a game because of a legion that brought you bad experience. 

You have to play the game yourself in order to see whether it's "worth it" because that is always very subjective. Had it not been for the awful management, NA would be holding itself fairly well. There's a new class coming out on 21st, so if you wanna wait til then and check out then be my guest, but if not, remember leveling is very fast compared to older days. (You can hit max level in 24 hours if you're dedicated enough).

PvE is easy, you just do certain instances in order, you get gear, rinse and repeat. This is fairly dreadful because the drop rates for certain parts are bad, meaning some part of the gear just never drops. PvP wise, you buy gear with Genesis Crystals (though I'd suggest to now wait for the new patch), from there you need tons of mats and AP to upgrade, rinse and repeat til you have ultimate +15.

The most dissatisfying part of the game is the transformation system. You'll see what I mean when you start playing.

Since you duo a lot, I'd say a cleric + anything else basically. All you need is a cleric and you will be set for anything.

You can hit max level in 8 hours now if you know what you are doing (I did it multiple times).

Everything else is what @Kubei-DNsaid. The new class official name on KR is Painter (it will be Vandal on NA) if you want to check some youtube videos.

I like the game very much and for me it is a better game than it was pre 6.0, the only thing that bothers me is the transformation system. NA does a lot of events where you can get those, though, and I already have pretty much all ancients and below, but only one Legendary so far (planning on getting two more with the current event). Transformations are a vital part of the game now for speed, cast and atk speeds. If you don't have legendary or ultimate, you are far behind.

I can totally understand how a bad experience with a legion can drive you from Aion. I have seen it happen many times.

As Konkers said, cleric + anything is a good combination. Though don't limit yourself. Chanter + anything is also viable as well as SW + anything, since those are also healy classes that make duoing easier. I have seen couples do double dps or cleric + chanter as well. What you really want to do is play the classes that make you happy. So don't push yourself into playing a healing class if it isn't your favorite. Try out several classes before deciding since leveling is so easy now.

We are getting a new patch in a little over a week, so don't worry too much about gear. Decide on your classes. Level to 80. Run Mirash Sanctum (solo instance) and Cradle of Eternity (trio.. but you can duo it!). Don't enchant any of that gear. Save your enchantment stones. Run the Mines for the AP. Quick queue into a few PvP instances, if you like, and don't worry if you don't win. Just get in and see how things work. Attend sieges, if you like. Get used to the skills and running around. Do your weekly artifact quests. Don't buy any PvP gear yet. Don't worry about crafting or buying crafted gear. Just save any crafting mats you get as you kill things. Don't panic about gear. Gear gets reworked in the new patch.

19 hours ago, Kubei-DN said:

I would consider it strange to quit a game because of a legion that brought you bad experience. 

You have to play the game yourself in order to see whether it's "worth it" because that is always very subjective. Had it not been for the awful management, NA would be holding itself fairly well. There's a new class coming out on 21st, so if you wanna wait til then and check out then be my guest, but if not, remember leveling is very fast compared to older days. (You can hit max level in 24 hours if you're dedicated enough).

PvE is easy, you just do certain instances in order, you get gear, rinse and repeat. This is fairly dreadful because the drop rates for certain parts are bad, meaning some part of the gear just never drops. PvP wise, you buy gear with Genesis Crystals (though I'd suggest to now wait for the new patch), from there you need tons of mats and AP to upgrade, rinse and repeat til you have ultimate +15.

The most dissatisfying part of the game is the transformation system. You'll see what I mean when you start playing.

Honestly, over ran by farmers was the problem.  Just rough to complete quests.  Anyway, Thank you so much for everyone kindness by answering my questions.  I will try it out.  Got to delete some toons to free up some room to start over.  Thank you much.  Looking forward to be part of the community again.  Maybe longer this time.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:05 PM, 2s8C8D8-DN said:

Hi everyone,

My wife and I played this game when it first out and then we left it because of all the farmers and a lousy guild we happened to join which ruined everything.  We recently decided to check out the game and see if it is worth coming back.  Would anyone be kind enough to give us some guidance, tip, or advises on the game... ?  We duo a lot and what the best combo for us to survive the pve and eventually into pvp?  Thank you for your kindness and hopefully this time it would be a great experience.

Skim through the forums, at this point i wouldn't recommend Aion to anybody. If you really are restarting from scratch idk what your ping is like but you should consider Gameforge EU Aion instead of NCsoft lol

1 hour ago, Suspense-KT said:

If you really are restarting from scratch idk what your ping is like but you should consider Gameforge EU Aion instead of NCsoft lol

At this point I'm forced to agree especially after what I've heard about the cost of getting the extra character slots we were promised when 6x arrived (so, point being, we should have already had them), So ya, if your ping is Ok I too would recommend going with Gameforges EU Aion rather than here if in fact you are starting from scratch.

6 hours ago, Aieryn-DN said:

At this point I'm forced to agree especially after what I've heard about the cost of getting the extra character slots we were promised when 6x arrived (so, point being, we should have already had them), So ya, if your ping is Ok I too would recommend going with Gameforges EU Aion rather than here if in fact you are starting from scratch.

Gameforge also requires you to have a sub to use the extra character slots, so that is hardly a reason to start over since the two publishers are doing the exact same thing.

Having recently played EU Aion, I would say there are several points in NA Aion's favor. First, it is much easier to get transformation contracts in NA. EU can get 2 free from the BCM every few days where in NA they have a chance to drop from the final boss in all instances. Also, EU's transformations are server wide and not account wide. Meaning if you unlock a transform on any character on your account in NA, that transform will be available on every character on your account; while in EU that transform is only available on the characters on the same server. Second, luna is craftable in NA. It's true that EU's luna costs for things are much lower, but we basically get free luna just by afking luna dailies and weeklies. Lastly, EU is unplayable without a sub. It's true that you can buy their gold pack with kinah, in a patch where kinah is so much more difficult to come by that's not as helpful as it once was. In NA, you can 100% play the game without a sub and use every function of the game.

Being perfectly honest, Gameforge does a much better job communicating with their players. I can perfectly understand why NA players are frustrated and may be considering a change. I guess my point is that the grass isn't as green as you think over there.

8 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

Gameforge also requires you to have a sub to use the extra character slots, so that is hardly a reason to start over since the two publishers are doing the exact same thing.

Having recently played EU Aion, I would say there are several points in NA Aion's favor. First, it is much easier to get transformation contracts in NA. EU can get 2 free from the BCM every few days where in NA they have a chance to drop from the final boss in all instances. Also, EU's transformations are server wide and not account wide. Meaning if you unlock a transform on any character on your account in NA, that transform will be available on every character on your account; while in EU that transform is only available on the characters on the same server. Second, luna is craftable in NA. It's true that EU's luna costs for things are much lower, but we basically get free luna just by afking luna dailies and weeklies. Lastly, EU is unplayable without a sub. It's true that you can buy their gold pack with kinah, in a patch where kinah is so much more difficult to come by that's not as helpful as it once was. In NA, you can 100% play the game without a sub and use every function of the game.

Being perfectly honest, Gameforge does a much better job communicating with their players. I can perfectly understand why NA players are frustrated and may be considering a change. I guess my point is that the grass isn't as green as you think over there.

That's all very well summed up. Thank you for this relevant post / comparison. I started playing Aion in EU, then after 4 years i re-rolled on NA servers and it felt like i could finally breathe & freely enjoy all aspects of the game without having to worry about getting a monthly GoldPack (or subscription).  I find the Gameforge f2p model to be too restrictive (especially for free players / users) compared to the NA model. The lower ping & the suitable siege schedule were the only things i missed when i moved from EU to NA.

@Aly-DN:

Your right I suppose. I guess the lack of communication thing is what I was going thru that day, lol. I read these forums every day and I see so many ppl just asking for some sort of acknowledgement and all getting no answer it really is frustrating. Especially so for we long time players who've stayed loyal to the game hoping things will get better despite what 6x did to it.

11 hours ago, BananaVibes-KT said:

That's all very well summed up. Thank you for this relevant post / comparison. I started playing Aion in EU, then after 4 years i re-rolled on NA servers and it felt like i could finally breathe & freely enjoy all aspects of the game without having to worry about getting a monthly GoldPack (or subscription).  I find the Gameforge f2p model to be too restrictive (especially for free players / users) compared to the NA model. The lower ping & the suitable siege schedule were the only things i missed when i moved from EU to NA.

That is the reason why they do not care much about your opinion because if it no sub and f2p.  Honestly, I prefer the old system of monthly sub but you get content update and there are no such things as  paying to play but i guess that style of playing is dying out or already dead, I suppose.  Oh well.

Archived