MMOS as a genre is dying it seems

MintyR-DN

5 minutes ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

It should have died a long time ago, nothing particularly interesting in them in the current market, they manage to keep them running because they still manage to suck a lot of money from players.

What’s makes them uninteresting in the current market tho like I don’t understand 

18 minutes ago, Cheesecake-DN said:

Current market seems to mostly want more instant gratification things like LoL and Fortnite, whether because of time and other real life commitments or other scenarios, I don't know, but I don't blame them. MMOs are a time/money sink.

Can total agree with the lack of time and rl commitments thing but the instant gratification thing not so much 

42 minutes ago, MintyR-DN said:

Can total agree with the lack of time and rl commitments thing but the instant gratification thing not so much 

I know this is a small sample set, but everyone I worked with at my last job said they played games like that because they were quick and they didn't have to grind out #1 Gear to be competitive.

MMORPG genre is not dying like people think it is but each genre has a limited number of players enjoying it. Take the battle royal mode for example you have 3 games to pick from if you want an enjoyable experience. Fortnite/Pubg/Apex. The MMORPG genre has 100s of games now that fits different niches. Alongside this they all have P-servers splitting the player base up even more. If every MMORPG shut down aside from 3 the genre would feel like it is booming again.

Ultimately the MMORPG genre created the illusion of a dead genre because of its never shutting down worlds with very bad expansions that make no sense.

11 minutes ago, Cheesecake-DN said:

I know this is a small sample set, but everyone I worked with at my last job said they played games like that because they were quick and they didn't have to grind out #1 Gear to be competitive.

So (and not to sound rude) in short they don’t want to work for what they want in a game?

1 minute ago, MintyR-DN said:

So (and not to sound rude) in short they don’t want to work for what they want in a game?

As far as competition is concerned, it's not good to have a game that is so gear dependant where skill and experience becomes secondary. 

That's why I play Tekken. If someone wants to beat in Tekken, they need to learn strats, combos, not spend thousands in a chash shop and grind mindlessly for hours. Gear dependancy for pve is fine, though.

1 minute ago, MintyR-DN said:

I like to think that for most people, it's a simply priority shift. When you're young and have more time and energy, working for something in a game is enjoyable and rewarding. When you get older and you have more responsibilities on your plate, you simply cannot invest that time and energy into a game and feel the same sense of fulfillment. Why work for a virtual achievement when I can spend that time in a different venture where my efforts are actually rewarded (e.g.: more RL work = more pay, promotion opportunities, networking, etc. or spending time with friends = social development and more intimate relationships).

11 minutes ago, MintyR-DN said:

What if all they want in a game is to competitively PvP without having to grind for 100+ hours they don't have anymore, getting their faces smashed in for the entirety of those 100+ hours? Hence the whole instant gratification thing. This isn't 200X-early201X. The people within that age bracket who played the shit out of MMOs have had priority shifts in their lives.

...and, sometimes, perhaps often, the process of grinding out the gear to be competitive is about as fun as taking the fine side of a cheese grater to the face, and I know I don't want to deal with that frustration anymore because I play games to have fun and get a nice break from the RL grind, not to get steamrolled while getting punched in the face by RNG.

6 minutes ago, Forgotten-DN said:

I like to think that for most people, it's a simply priority shift. When you're young and have more time and energy, working for something in a game is enjoyable and rewarding. When you get older and you have more responsibilities on your plate, you simply cannot invest that time and energy into a game and feel the same sense of fulfillment. Why work for a virtual achievement when I can spend that time in a different venture where my efforts are actually rewarded (e.g.: more RL work = more pay, promotion opportunities, networking, etc. or spending time with friends = social development and more intimate relationships).

This. 100% this.

Not sure how accurate this site is,https://mmo-population.com/  shows how many accounts by yr and players online i think? Showing a dip from 2018 to 2019. Some games still have a strong following such as WoW , FF14 and GW2. Sometimes I wonder if corporate greed also doesn't play a part in any decline.Or poor decisions in developing (that would never happen here). xD

8 minutes ago, MintyR-DN said:

@Cheesecake-DN and @Forgotten-DN I get what both of you are saying now I understand I’m in a trade school that takes about 8hours of my life away so yea

Yeah...was working 8-5 then going to class from 6-10:30pm every day for a while. Game time meant sacrificing something IRL. 0/10 do not recommend. :(

6 minutes ago, Jinky-KT said:

Not sure how accurate this site is,https://mmo-population.com/  shows how many accounts by yr and players online i think? Showing a dip from 2018 to 2019. Some games still have a strong following such as WoW , FF14 and GW2. Sometimes I wonder if corporate greed also doesn't play a part in any decline.Or poor decisions in developing (that would never happen here). xD

I feel like a large part of the MMO market has switched to P2W F2P models, where you are severely punished if you don't pay. :/

19 minutes ago, Cheesecake-DN said:

Yeah...was working 8-5 then going to class from 6-10:30pm every day for a while. Game time meant sacrificing something IRL. 0/10 do not recommend. :(

I feel like a large part of the MMO market has switched to P2W F2P models, where you are severely punished if you don't pay. :/

Aion is a big culprit of that

I feel like a large part of the MMO market has switched to P2W F2P models, where you are severely punished if you don't pay. 

They did that because in the current market they cant get enough people to actually pay to play the game to sustain it, so they get a big % of population that are only playing it because they cant pay, and a few who spend the big bucks to support the game. No game would be f2p if they actually had customers who would pay for it. 

And this is also why the genre is dead.

2 hours ago, MintyR-DN said:

Aion is a big culprit of that

Eeeeeeeeeeeyup.

1 hour ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

They did that because in the current market they cant get enough people to actually pay to play the game to sustain it, so they get a big % of population that are only playing it because they cant pay, and a few who spend the big bucks to support the game. No game would be f2p if they actually had customers who would pay for it. 

And this is also why the genre is dead.

Exactly!

The mmos die because of the updates and patches the developers do that ruin it. Every time the developers decide to implement a new class, a ton of people will have to quit because that class will be OP. then you have general class imbalances, deleted content and outdated engines and/or game mechanics.

Aion for example has been asking to die for so long and the players keep it clinging to life. It might sound catchy but what happened to 6.0 was probably a suicide and it was advertised as the patch that would revive Aion.

Let that sink in for a moment, the developers thought Aion 6.0 would revive Aion... by deleting 99% of the game... and making some classes so powerful while others were weak.

The fact mmorpgs still exist means they are actually a good genre but it is the current games that always take bad decisions.

##
But I agree people can get bored of an mmorpg easier than a shooter game, because shooter games start from 0 at every fight and you build yourself until you win that game, rinse and repeat. There is not much to upgrade in shooter games other than implement a new map or keep players active by making massive events where people can play and win prizes like it was happening in the past with counter strike and warcraft.

Archived