Vantheria-DN

Skin Farming in 7.0

@Vantheria-DN What is the difference in dynamic between having a level 80 toon + a level 30-ish toon + a level 1 toon in a group and being able to loot, versus just a level 80 toon + a 30-ish toon in a group? When I tried to loot a level 20 boss with a level 30 toon (and a level 20), I could not get any loot. It wasn't an instance boss, just a named boss (if that matters). Just curious about what makes arrangement different?

I think I can explain, but there are a lot of cases. In a 1-1 toon kills NPC, the amount of loot depends on the difference in levels. Full loot up to about a difference of 7 then reducing loot, with a difference of 10 or more being no loot. So a L30 player killing a L20 NPC never gets loot.

If a member of a group kills an NPC, then the loot depends on the highest level member of the group, but not counting the mentor.

So an L80 mentor + L30 + L20 will get the same loot as a L30 1-1 kill.

Now, Vantheria has a more complex explanation of what happens if you wait to the last 30 seconds or so before the dead character goes away. In this case, sometimes a player not in the group that killed the NPC can collect the loot. However, as far as I know, a player out of the group cannot collect loot that wasn't there in the first place, which is what I explained in this post before this paragraph.

Good question.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:39 PM, Gallium-DN said:

@Vantheria-DN What is the difference in dynamic between having a level 80 toon + a level 30-ish toon + a level 1 toon in a group and being able to loot, versus just a level 80 toon + a 30-ish toon in a group? When I tried to loot a level 20 boss with a level 30 toon (and a level 20), I could not get any loot. It wasn't an instance boss, just a named boss (if that matters). Just curious about what makes arrangement different?

Glinda gives a good long explanation. I'll try to expound further.

The reason I recommend a level 1 toon as your group holder is because A) it's super easy to make a level 1 toon and B) it is the lowest level possible, so even if you're farming level 5 mobs, it won't affect your ability to loot. But the actual answer is as Glinda said; your group holder can be 9 levels higher than the mob you are killing. Once it reaches 10 levels (or higher), you won't be able to loot. So if you have a level 80 toon in your group, you will not be able to loot. You need to have a level 30 toon and a level 1 toon (or a toon that is no higher than 9 levels above the mob). Remove your level 80 toon until AFTER you have killed the mob.

- Make group with level 1 toon and level 30 toon.
- Sit level 1 toon in Ishalgen afk.
- Enter instance with level 30 toon.
- Kill crap, but don't loot mobs.
- On your level 30 toon, go to character screen. DO NOT LEAVE THE GROUP. Keep your level 1 in group still too.
- Have your level 1 invite your level 80 to that same group. (Your level 30 should still be in group, just offline.)
- Enter the instance on your level 80 toon.
- Wait 5-15 minutes for the mob(s) to become lootable and then loot them on your level 80 toon.

There is another way to get skins that I haven't seen mentioned in this post. There are a NPCs that drop exactly one armor item every kill, subject to a <10 level difference. With a respawn time of usually 5 minutes, you seem to get much more useful loot per unit time than going after regular drops. Each kill yields a cloth, leather, chain, or plate item, so you have a 25% chance of getting something useful to your class. You either get a piece of armor or a weapon.

I've set up groups all controlled with me where one character gets the, say, leather and another gets the cloth. This doubles the class-relevant loot per unit time. I ran into Gallium and one of his/her friends and we ended up with a group with three classes covered.

These NPCs seem to have five white dots, they are not elite, and the tend to be in conspicuous places (usually walking down the main path in a region). About half are "preemptive strike."

You probably knew all this.

But let me be useful by posting my list of these NPCs. There must be quite a few others. It would be interesting to have other people contribute to the list. Use Google to find out where they are.

Adapter Kermio, L73, Conqueror

Scotch Bonnet Bartul, L65, Heartwave

Zephyrwing Klare, L60, Heartwave

Kyang Redmane, L55, Aegis

Amalen the Forlorn, L40, (I didn't record the type)

Stormwings Dugolle, L40, Tempest (multiple channels in this region)

Blade Captain Gauri, L35, Squall (multiple channels in this region)

Mob outside of Haramel, L10. (I didn't record the type; there are five channels)