Character and Legion Name Ownership Policy

Cyan

• Aion Team

Greetings Daevas,

Server merges are happening on Wednesday, October 11. Character names and Legion names will be reset, and all character will receive a Name Change Ticket and Legion Brigade Generals will receive a Legion Name Change to reacquire the names they were using before the merge.

Of course we expect there to be conflicts as players with the same name on different servers may be attempting to reclaim their ownership on the new merged server. We’ll be helping directly mediate any name ownership disputes through our Customer Support department.

For us to be able to assist everyone as quickly as possible, please be aware of the following:

• Only reacquire a name you were actively using prior to the server merges. If you have no prior claim to the name and a dispute is filed, you will lose it. Further, if there is malicious intent found to be behind you acquiring the name, action can and will be taken against your account.
  • Do not hold names for friends. A name ownership dispute is the appropriate avenue for them to resolve their request. Also be aware Legion/Character Name Change tickets will also temporarily be made unavailable for purchase following the merge, which will make saving names more difficult for both of you.

Customer Support will assist players with name ownership disputes, and determining rightful ownership based on the following:

• Are both characters level 65+?
    • If not, the higher level character will own the name
    • If so, ownership will be given to the character with the earliest creation date
  • Are both legions recently active with active players?
    • If not, the more active legion will be given the name
    • If so, ownership will be given to the legion with the highest contribution

Please understand that name ownership disputes may take time based on overall request volume, with the average wait time being up to a week or longer. We’ll be handling these requests in the order in which they’re received.

You have up to 30 days from the merge date to submit an appeal for a name ownership dispute.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a level 66 alt with no rank/contribution will receive a disputed name over a level 75 top ranked and played daily character, as long as the 66 was created before the 75? That's kinda uncool.

Ownership should take activity into account, too. 

Just now, Vessttemona-SL said:

this is the only thing that should be taken into consideration in case of a dispute for both cases, character names and legion names

Right. But think about it. If a level 66 never-played alt with zero GP shares a name with a level 75 Great General played-ever-day main, the 66 should keep the name just because it was created a month before the 75? I'm not saying this is going to happen or that I know there is a case of this, but I do think that activity should play a part in the decision in such a case.

13 minutes ago, Nyinu-KR said:

Right. But think about it. If a level 66 never-played alt with zero GP shares a name with a level 75 Great General played-ever-day main, the 66 should keep the name just because it was created a month before the 75? I'm not saying this is going to happen or that I know there is a case of this, but I do think that activity should play a part in the decision in such a case.

In that case, there wont be a dispute because as you said before, the lvl 66 charater is not active, it only should be applied to active characters. :P

4 minutes ago, Keuroket-IS said:

I read that as the higher level always taking priority, unless they're the same level, in which case, the character with the earliest creation date takes the name (provided that they're both active).

That's not what it says. It says if they are both 65+, then creation date determines. Though you may be right and it might just be worded oddly.

Thank you Cyan. This comes extremely late into the process, but this rules are much, much more consistent to what was applied  in our previous merges.

That being said, with what appears to be the current state  of Customer Support,  hopefully there will be a new category created specifically for disputes due to name conflicts so that they get routed appropriately..otherwise Support is just going to get overwhelmed. Maybe you could publicize what the expected response times are at some point?

10 hours ago, GlutenFree-IS said:

How long will name ownership disputes be open for? If I claim the name GlutenFree on my character on the 11th and someone who's had the name longer than I have logs in, say in November, will my name suddenly be taken from me?

Bottom of Cyan's post says that we have 30 days to submit an appeal for a name. So for your example, the person has until Nov. 11th to submit their appeal. After that, you are safe.

I have some questions regarding this topic:

First question:

I have a few lvl 1 characters that I wanted to level up but I couldn’t due to lack of time, these characters hold the support bundle from the homeward bound event so I don’t want to delete them either, if I reclaim the names of these characters after the merge would I be able to keep them? Or would it be considered “name theft” if it happens to be a name conflict?

Second question:

I have an alt on Beritra server that I log in from time to time but I do not level up (the character is lvl 65), it has a name I wish to keep (the kind on name that usually is taken a couple of hours after the server opens) and I never saw the owner of this name on Siel server, so I know for sure that character is not active, but I don’t know if it is somebody else’s alt, what would happen if there is a name conflict between  two alts? What happens if the owner of that name on Siel decides to log in the day after the merge just to reclaim the name, would I keep the name?

Third question:

I have a cleric alt that has a dumb name I do not wish to keep, will I be forced to reclaim my name when logging in after the marge? (As it was when you merged servers on lineage 2) or will I be able to keep the temporary name and the ticket?

If I am not forced to reclaim my name, for how long can I keep the temporary name and the ticket? And how much time do I have to wait until I can pick a new name without it being considered “name theft”?

Fourth question:

Is it possible to switch the names of my own characters? Let’s say for example; I have two characters on Siel server: “John” who is a Gladiator, and “Mike” who is a Ranger, I also have lvl 1 characters on Beritra server holding those names so I know there won’t be a name conflict, if after the merge I decide to call my gladiator “Mike” and my ranger “John”, would I get to keep it that way? Or would I get in trouble for doing it?

Thank you for your time.

I can't give official answers, but I can take a shot using what we know.

If you get in and reclaim your level 1 character names, any other character with that name would win an appeal to have the name awarded to them. If Support tries to punish you for name theft, you can just point out that those characters have existed since the last (or even the first) Homeward Bound Event, so obviously were not created with the merge in mind. You will just have to rename them.

If the SL alt is also 65 or higher, then if would win an appeal since it was created prior to your BR character's creation. Activity doesn't seem to matter. But.. if the SL character's owner is totally not active, then they won't be changing their characters' names and won't be filing any appeals. 

We are told that all names will be "reset", so they will be a series of numbers and letters.. similar to when a character transfers to a server that already has a character with the same name as that character. I doubt you will be forced to change the name away from the temporary name, though I remember a legionmate who had an issue using some functions while under one of those number-letter names. I can't remember exactly what the issue was (might have been something about joining or making groups or entering instance?), but it made the game unplayable for him and he was forced to pick a new name ASAP. So no one can force you to do anything, but you may want to.

If you own the name on both (or all three) servers, then you can hardly submit a ticket against yourself for taking that name. Remember, they aren't checking names automatically. Support is only stepping in when two people are making a claim on the same name.

On 10/6/2017 at 5:03 PM, Cyan said:

• Only reacquire a name you were actively using prior to the server merges. If you have no prior claim to the name and a dispute is filed, you will lose it. Further, if there is malicious intent found to be behind you acquiring the name, action can and will be taken against your account.

Wait, what? So if after the merge I want a brand new name for a fresh start more or less, say 'John' for example, but it was previously taken I can't use that name? Even if I log in and get it first? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, that's extremely silly.

1 minute ago, FaeIyn-SL said:

Wait, what? So if after the merge I want a brand new name for a fresh start more or less, say 'John' for example, but it was previously taken I can't use that name? Even if I log in and get it first? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, that's extremely silly.

You can try and take it, but anyone that was "John" prior to the merge can submit an appeal for the name with Support. Since they had the name before you, you will be required to change your name.

1 hour ago, FaeIyn-SL said:

If, as you say, you want a "fresh start", then you can't use a name that someone active has already been using, that would hardly be fair to them, just because you can log in before them. This is your chance to be creative and use a new name - brand new means not in use by someone.

By the way- unless I'm mistaken a similar rules was applied in our two previous merges with respect to pre-existing names. I recalling appealing  a conflict with Support and it was resolved using this rule.

On 10/6/2017 at 4:03 PM, Cyan said:

Only reacquire a name you were actively using prior to the server merges. If you have no prior claim to the name and a dispute is filed, you will lose it. Further, if there is malicious intent found to be behind you acquiring the name, action can and will be taken against your account.

You can try but it was already stated, if it is disputed and you didn't own it, you will lose it.

1 hour ago, Vantheria-IS said:

In polite society, we call that stealing lmao.

No, you can't own a name, therefore the concept of stealing it does not apply. Unless you have a sort of trademark for it, but considering this is an online game yeah, doesn't work that way. 

Very generic names were probably taken shortly after the game went live on NA, so a lot of people who decided to use them are likely inactive. You might be able to get one in that case, but if someone with a generic name IS active and well, you won't be able to use it. That's what I'm getting from what Cyan said. 

"Stealing," in this case, would be taking someone's, who is active, name for yourself, even though they are using the name presently and that's what their identity is tied to in this game, most especially if you do it maliciously (being a nyerk). They would have every "right" to dispute you taking their active name (and Support will take the name from you and give it back to them if they send in a dispute ticket during the next month following merge, and you risk a ban if you did it to be a nyerk). Do we really need to argue semantics to say that taking an active player's name is a nyerk move? lol xD

On 10/6/2017 at 11:03 PM, Cyan said:

Only reacquire a name you were actively using prior to the server merges. If you have no prior claim to the name and a dispute is filed, you will lose it. Further, if there is malicious intent found to be behind you acquiring the name, action can and will be taken against your account.

I love that they make it abundantly clear this is not a 'look guys, free tickets let's all take the names we've always wanted'.
It's merely for you to log in, change the random letters and numbers back to what it was before, and move on with your life.

I have to say, it would've been sooooo much easier @Cyan if only those who have name conflict get their name changed and get a ticket.
Let's say there's a Lola on Kahrun, Tiamat and Israphel and also a xXxLolaxXx, you would only give tickets to the Lola's, and then solve accordingly (level & creation date).
Because now xXxLolaxXx is also in the running, and 50 other random people who think it's a great name and also try thieving it the moment server comes online.
(Just an example).

Seeing this is just the way people are, it could have prevented all this 'tension' :P 

On 10/6/2017 at 3:01 PM, Nyinu-KR said:

So a level 66 alt with no rank/contribution will receive a disputed name over a level 75 top ranked and played daily character, as long as the 66 was created before the 75? That's kinda uncool.

Ownership should take activity into account, too. 

Quite frankly the lvl 66 had the name first therefore has the right to keep it no matter how active the lvl 75 is.  It would be as if the lvl 75 was picking out a name like he did during character creation and found that name was already in use because someone else had it first.

Archived