Character and Legion Name Ownership Policy

Cyan

When I created a new account and new chanter on Siel over the summer, the original name I used on Triniel at launch wasn't available (no surprise there). My original Triniel chanter, however, was sitting unused on Tiamat. When the servers merged, rather than give her the old name back, I used that name for the chanter I actually play... even though it's technically a new toon, I've held the name on the other account since launch.

I never saw Siel's "Krystaline" in game so I should be ok, but if that person logs in and contests the name, will I be able to argue that I've had it since launch, just on another character? I suppose I could submit a ticket to get the name on the chanter I don't play, then buy a couple of name change tickets once it's resolved and switch it to the current toon again, but that seems so... cumbersome.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, just wanted to let Cyan or any NCsoft support know that I'd like my old name back, Ricochet. 

I logged on about 10min after the maintenance was over only to find out that somebody had already taken it. 

It's not a very "common" name, and people already associate my lvl 75 gunner with it. I'm pretty sure whoever took that name has malicious intent (scamming other people into thinking it's me, taking it so I cannot have it, etc.).

I sent in tickets to support and no response so far. I know people who sent in tickets after I did and got faster responses.

All I want is to get my name back (I've been using it for years+) :( It's not even a common/popular name.

You just have to wait, man. They're being swamped with tickets right now because people are nyerks and/or can't read.

Just send one ticket, do not "bump" it (it sends it back to the bottom of the queue), and be patient. Cyan said it could be up to a week to get a response, but, tbqh, it should be faster than that.

Quick question for the mods: If I were to create a new character and unintentionally pick a name that someone later legitimately claims was theirs first, what happens? Would I be given a new name-change ticket (and a letter telling me I'd have to change my name I imagine) or would I be forced to delete my character? I'm just curious about the procedure.

I´m trying to understand why you did this....

To be honest, I know nothing about doing software, but... was that hard to make an automatic way to solve this?

Like just merging the list names (2 or 3 depending on the server). Those names without conflict, keeped in the new server. For those names with conflict (2 or 3 identic names) keeping the older one (or deciding in the way you like) and changing the others to a generic numeric code and sending a ticket for them. it seems like not so hard to me. But again, I know nothing about those things.

Obviously if you give a ticket to everyone you will have a lot of people trying to pick a better name than the one he used before, a lot of people trying to fix their old names (for example you had to pick "Johnn" cause "John" was in use and now you may try the other one), and obviously a lot of trolls now will try to upset some old players who made some enemies.

@Cyan are you guys giving the name to the original owner even if he already used name ticket after merge? Because, a friend got his name stealed, he sent ticket but still no reply, meanwhile he cannot be invited to anything, group, alliance, not even siege coallition, people with the alphanumeric autogenerated names cannot do anything. So can the people suffering this put any name to play while the ticket is recieved and then opt to get their original name back?

• Aion Team
19 hours ago, Chibiusa-DN said:

@Cyan are you guys giving the name to the original owner even if he already used name ticket after merge? Because, a friend got his name stealed, he sent ticket but still no reply, meanwhile he cannot be invited to anything, group, alliance, not even siege coallition, people with the alphanumeric autogenerated names cannot do anything. So can the people suffering this put any name to play while the ticket is recieved and then opt to get their original name back?

Yes support will be able to change the name no matter what, so you are safe to use the ticket prior to sending in a ticket.

4 hours ago, Kubei-DN said:

I've seen a couple of people complain on FB groups saying the support can't return them their names because someone already stole it. So, it goes back to the "first come, first serve" ordeal, and not everyone is happy.

No. Support would have told them that they can't return the name because someone else has a greater claim to the name. Not because someone stole it. Cyan posted the criteria that Support would be using for name ownership when there is a dispute. If the characters are under level 65, then the higher level will get the name. If the characters are over level 65, then the character with the earliest creation date will get the name. 

24 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

No. Support would have told them that they can't return the name because someone else has a greater claim to the name. Not because someone stole it. Cyan posted the criteria that Support would be using for name ownership when there is a dispute. If the characters are under level 65, then the higher level will get the name. If the characters are over level 65, then the character with the earliest creation date will get the name. 

Pretty sure someone like Yuh from Tiamat is above level 66+ and a much longer player than whoever stole their name, but hey, if you say it's like so, then alright.

3 hours ago, Aly-DN said:

"I apologize for that earlier confusion. Upon further review, I've found out that we are able to give you the name "[MyCharacterName]" since you are eligible to receive it. If you want this to happen, kindly get back to me here and make sure to be offline in order for me to process your name change request."

This was the reply I received after my initial petition was hastily denied. So it would appear it IS first come first server, after all. I had the name ownership, but someone took it first.

17 minutes ago, Zahahrah-DN said:

Unable to use ticket my characters got move to a fast-track server? 

Error: 

You cannot use this function on the fast track server. WTH????

nyerking switch to the regular server and try it.

if that doesn’t work, maybe you need to rebuild your whole pc

And what about players like me, who have bought AION when it launched, had the head start and took a name? I've kept my head start name until today, but I wasn't playing with it that much. Now I came back to the game and I am playing every day for 2 or 3 months. I am sure no one was using my names and I still do keep some, but I lost others. Will the founders/head start count as priority?

PS. Sorry my english, it is not my first language.

Just now, Silverlight-KT said:

And what about players like me, who have bought AION when it launched, had the head start and took a name? I've kept my head start name until today, but I wasn't playing with it that much. Now I came back to the game and I am playing every day for 2 or 3 months. I am sure no one was using my names and I still do keep some, but I lost others. Will the founders/head start count as priority?

PS. Sorry my english, it is not my first language.

As long as your characters were over level 65, you should have gotten the names back if someone took them before you logged in. Did you submit a ticket to Support about the names you feel you should own?

1 minute ago, Aly-DN said:

As long as your characters were over level 65, you should have gotten the names back if someone took them before you logged in. Did you submit a ticket to Support about the names you feel you should own?

Most were 68+ and no. Did not submit a ticked. I'll do that right now.

Just now, 2s105DF7-DN said:

Well How do I get my character names and legion names?

There is a Name Change ticket in your inventory. Use it. If your name has already been used and you feel you have more of a right to it, submit a ticket with Support.

Archived