Jump to content
MintyR-DN

What keeps you going?

Recommended Posts

Mainly the people.

But Aion's combat system is pretty unique as far as MMO's come, it's random and crazy and sometimes unpredictable and it's dynamic more than any other game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aion's biggest downfall on release in Sept 2009 was its advanced graphics. The idea was to present this new MMORPG with the most advanced graphics in the industry compared to any other games out there at that point. In theory, the idea was great. But in practicality it back fired.

The graphics were so advanced that it literally cut the population in half within the first month. Most graphic cards and internet connections could not handle it.

This created a down spiral for NCsoft and only naturally the game quickly plummeted in popularity.

With that said, this game is probably the best overall (PvE/PvP) game there is, and it's sad that it didn't have the best start as planned or else, I truly believe that with a better company and the graphics being a bit lower end at the start, this game would have been bigger than WoW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boredom+can not really play FPS games due to going blind so there is that as well.

 

@Unbeatable-KT No PvE servers = no chance of competing with WoWs numbers so it would was never going to be bigger than WoW from the development stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

Aion's biggest downfall on release in Sept 2009 was its advanced graphics. The idea was to present this new MMORPG with the most advanced graphics in the industry compared to any other games out there at that point. In theory, the idea was great. But in practicality it back fired.

The graphics were so advanced that it literally cut the population in half within the first month. Most graphic cards and internet connections could not handle it.

This created a down spiral for NCsoft and only naturally the game quickly plummeted in popularity.

With that said, this game is probably the best overall (PvE/PvP) game there is, and it's sad that it didn't have the best start as planned or else, I truly believe that with a better company and the graphics being a bit lower end at the start, this game would have been bigger than WoW.

Sorry Unbeatable but I'm strongly disagreed :o

Aion in 2009 was like BDO in 2015 problem with Aion was not amazing graphics but it's the engine itself,it does use only single core and CPU changes way to develop instead keep rising Ghz they added multi cores instead.If Aion updated engine to use multi cores,A lot of people would be able to play Aion.

Internet Connection was not also a problem,did you know online games using as low as 1 mbps internet o_o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Neleth-KT said:

Sorry Unbeatable but I'm strongly disagreed :o

Aion in 2009 was like BDO in 2015 problem with Aion was not amazing graphics but it's the engine itself,it does use only single core and CPU changes way to develop instead keep rising Ghz they added multi cores instead.If Aion updated engine to use multi cores,A lot of people would be able to play Aion.

Internet Connection was not also a problem,did you know online games using as low as 1 mbps internet o_o

Yeah I agree with you. I never understood in detail computer tech stuff, but it seems you described it just right. From my side of things, all I remember was people complaining about their computers not being able to withstand the game itself and thus quitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never heard of anyone quitting because their pc couldn't handle the game. Aion has low settings and it makes it pretty basic anyways. FPS games are those that suffer the most from bad pcs, not mmorpgs. The reason people quit Aion is because at every patch they would do in-explainable things and Aion was turning into a grind fest quicker than expected.

All NCSoft games were far more personal, in WoW nobody was making a huge name for himself for being too op because the game was letting everyone be maxed or at least enjoy the game, but also Blizzard had a lot of other games and a dedicated fan base. I won't forget the diehard blizzard fans that kept coming to Aion to simply say "Aion will soon die, Diablo III is about to come out" and I was like wtf... Diablo game is not even an mmorpg, who the hell quits and mmorpg for a pseudo-3d offset story telling game that you can finish within less than 1 month? And also Blizzard always focused in mini-gaming, like Dota or similar games, even WoW's arenas looked like a flashy way to simply enjoy doing something from 0 to victory as much as you wanted a quick dose of enjoyment.

Aion is a farming game, it focuses on that, it is a more clever and beautiful Lineage II style game. They could have made it bigger if they focused on their Sims-online additions for housing, skins, dance emotes, super customizable character appearance etc, but they decided to ditch everything they did thinking that they would revive a dead horse by removing 90% of the body!!! They even ruined the appearance of every character in Aion 5.0 and nobody was happy, that was when a big chunk of players also quit. Aion is all about the aesthetics, not the opposite.

Edited by Arhangelos-KT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

I never heard of anyone quitting because their pc couldn't handle the game. Aion has low settings and it makes it pretty basic anyways. FPS games are those that suffer the most from bad pcs, not mmorpgs. The reason people quit Aion is because at every patch they would do in-explainable things and Aion was turning into a grind fest quicker than expected.

All NCSoft games were far more personal. in WoW nobody was making a huge name for himself for being too op because the game was letting everyone be maxed or at least enjoy the game

I know quiet a few people who quit due to their PC's running the game like rubbish.

What do you mean by this because the way i am reading it the knowledge you have of WoW players is next to none. This may simply just be something lost in the world of internet that many forget because of how big these people are on Twitch but many of the 5k+ viewer streamers got as big as they did due to the drama they caused with-in WoW prior to becoming a streamer. The names of Aion just never transitioned outside Aion they were happy with their IRL situation by the sounds of it and just moved on from the game. 

 

To me Aion was not a farming game it was a game where play styles inter-twined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HealingSquid-KT said:

To me Aion was not a farming game it was a game where play styles inter-twined. 

Idk about the farming thing but to me Aion is a very grindy game, maybe that's what they meant?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jinky-KT   

When this game launched i was playing Runes of magic, came to Aion with dial up internet. You remember, turn on the pc start web page, go do laundry cook dinner and take a shower come back and it just finished loading. First year before I got DSL was rough in Aion lol. Take three steps move back two. I live in the country and that was only thing available at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×