Possible Returning Player - Questions & Advice

Plezurenpain-DN

Hi everyone.  I started playing Aion during beta and was there for the launch with several of my friends.  We were coming from WoW and Aion looked amazing compared to it which is why we all decided to give it a shot.  They ended up quitting within the first month because it wasn't that much fun for them.  I stuck around for a couple  months then quit because it was an impossibly long grind back in the day.  I returned to Aion about two years ago due to a financial that stopped me from playing WoW for a little while.  I decided to more or less start fresh with characters (made new ones, sent all my gold to the account bank, deleted characters, etc) because so much had changed since I had played that it was literally like a whole new game.  I played from 3-4 months on various toons and then went back to WoW when my financial situation cleared up.  Now I'm looking to start playing here again because I actually did miss playing the game because of how beautiful it looks.  But I do have some questions and concerns which I'll list below.  If you could help me out and answer them & give general advice I'd appreciate it.

1. How is the leveling process now?  Is it a grind or a lot quicker?  I know fast track servers exist but do they continue until level cap or do they shut off somewhere?  Also what is level cap now?
  2. As far as dungeons go, do you have to manually go to them still or can you queue for them & be teleported to the entrance/inside of it?
  3. How's the crafting in this game now?  When the game first started, there rare quality were a chance to proc off regular crafting.  Is it still that way?  Do professions even matter at all?  And are professions easier to level up now or are they still a P.I.T.A and grinding as all can be?
  4. I have read that they're doing some server mergers (3 servers merging to 1 & 2 servers merging to 1) but I haven't seen what exactly they're doing.  Will the new mega servers be new names or will it be one of the already named names?
  5. What exactly is "end-game" now?  Is it PvE based or PvP based?
  6. Are there land mounts you can buy with gold or are they all NCoin purchases?
  7. In WoW, you can buy a token to sell on their auction house that other players can buy with in-game gold to add game-time to their account.  Is there such a thing in Aion for this?  Are you able to buy gold directly from NCSoft?
  8. How is gear in game now?  Is it difficult to come by or is "good" gear easily obtained?
  9. Finally, what are some good fansites I could visit to read up more about the game?  The official site seems a little out-of-date or missing stuff.

1 hour ago, Plezure-KR said:

How is the leveling process now?  Is it a grind or a lot quicker?  I know fast track servers exist but do they continue until level cap or do they shut off somewhere?  Also what is level cap now?
Fast Track server makes it a breeze and players can hit level 65 within a day or less if they know what they're doing.

As far as dungeons go, do you have to manually go to them still or can you queue for them & be teleported to the entrance/inside of it?
Instances will have to be walked to, some PvP/PvE instances (Idgel dome/Ophidian Warpath/Capital Defence/etc) can be queued anywhere

How's the crafting in this game now?  When the game first started, there rare quality were a chance to proc off regular crafting. 
Is it still that way?
For the original crafts, yes.  A new method of crafting (Aetherforging) is a very expensive to level but very cheap crafting method.
Do professions even matter at all? 
Yes, otherwise players would have a rough time getting "good" consumables.
And are professions easier to level up now or are they still a P.I.T.A and grinding as all can be?
I believe the professions are still the same to level up but the game throws a very generous amount of crafting boost charms.

I have read that they're doing some server mergers (3 servers merging to 1 & 2 servers merging to 1) but I haven't seen what exactly they're doing.  Will the new mega servers be new names or will it be one of the already named names?
New names.  They will merge Siel+Beritra and Israphel+Tiamat+Kahrun, naming them Danaria and Katalam, not respectively.  I don't think they announce which servers get which names.

What exactly is "end-game" now?  Is it PvE based or PvP based?
Some have different opinions on this, it matters what you enjoy most.  The game has plenty of end game PvP and PvE.

Are there land mounts you can buy with gold or are they all NCoin purchases?
Shitty ones, yes.  The actual good mounts can be bought from the BCM (online store) or if you're willing to run instances, Rentus Base has a decent pagati mount that Brigade General Vasharti has a very low chance of dropping, and Tiamat Stronghold's middle chest that's activated by killing Brigade General Tahabata drops a rocket mount.. thingy.

In WoW, you can buy a token to sell on their auction house that other players can buy with in-game gold to add game-time to their account. 
Is there such a thing in Aion for this?
No.  You can purchase NCoin and sell the items you purchase in the BCM to other players though.
Are you able to buy gold directly from NCSoft?
No.  Read above.

How is gear in game now?  Is it difficult to come by or is "good" gear easily obtained?
Easily obtained but painful to git gud as if you fail an enchantment it'll break.  Thankfully they made it possible to make enchantments 100% success with a combination of an Omega Enchantment stone and greater supplements, but those are expensive.

Finally, what are some good fansites I could visit to read up more about the game?  The official site seems a little out-of-date or missing stuff.
Fansites don't necessarily exist for this game, apart from Rainy.ws and aioninfo.com for DPS meters.  It has a very closed player base where everyone sort of knows everyone (assuming they've been playing for quite a while)

@Plezure-KR So welcome back! Hope this helps

1. Leveling is both fast and slow. Starting out on the fast track you will level extremely quickly. I believe fast track cuts you off after level 65. Anyways after you hit 66 leveling will slow down by a lot. The current cap is 75 however most players you see will be around 70-73. You are not meant to hit the level cap immediately and it will take time and lots of grinding to hit 75.

2. PvE dungeons you have to travel to and PvP dungeons you can queue for and be teleported to. That said lots of the endgame PvE dungeons have additional entrances in the Abyss that open based on your faction's abyss level which fluctuates through out the week and is based on having forts, camps, artifacts, and other things.

3. Some people craft... most don't it seems. They did introduce a new craft called aetherforging and can be done without a crafting table. It seems to me that the focus going forward is going to be on this craft rather than the other ones. Crafting is very grindy and I'm not knowledgeable about it enough to tell if you if it's profitable or not.

4. There are currently 5 servers and they will be narrowing them down to two. Israphel, Tiamat, and Kahrun will become Danaria and Siel and Beritra will become Katalam. Danaria and Katalam were both names of previous beloved maps in the game that have since been retired. The names were voted on by the players. Also this is happening on Oct. 11th.

5. End game is what you make of it. Want to PvP then find friends and queue up. Want PvE then go do an instance. Friends make everything better though!

6. Yes NC sells mounts however most people get their mounts from doing the luna quests. Basically there is a weekly and daily instance that you can do at any level and earn items that can be used to craft cash shop mounts for free. The kicker is the items that you can craft change every day and are not 100% guaranteed so you may have to wait to get the mount you are looking for. The mounts are not tradeable.

7. You cannot buy kinah from NC however most of the cash shop items are tradeable/sellable on the broker.

8. All level 66+ gear can be bought and traded so lots of gear is available. So it depends on how much kinah you have.... you can also run instances and get gear. Leveling at first NC pretty much provides all the gear you need until level 66. Honestly many players complain that the transition from 65 to 66 is rough as they can't level as quickly and gear is more difficult to obtain. So your mileage may vary in this aspect.

9.  Aion Database and Aion Powerbook have a lot of info on them. Additionally there is a subreddit however not a lot of people use it. There's also an Aion discord (there's a link in the subreddit). Finally I put the Aion Operations twitter so you can see when there is ongoing maintenance. See below:

http://aiondatabase.net/us/

https://aionpowerbook.com/powerbook/Main_Page

https://www.reddit.com/r/aion/

https://twitter.com/l2andaionops?lang=en

1. Leveling till 65 is REAAAAALLY easy. It's actually enjoyable, I keep doing alts so I can use them in events and it won't take long till they get 60ish. But 66+, it will be a pain and people won't get you to all the instances until you get 70ish.

2. As people said, PVE instances you gotta walk. PVP ones you will just queus, except for arenas I guess.

3. Crafting is useless for the most. Alchemy and cooking maybe still got some value but the others are just for skins purpouses. You won't be seeing crafted gear in broker (a lot) because the mats are probably hard to get since nobody stays in low levels. There's the new craft, Aetherforgging, tho. It's expensive and grindy and I don't know if it's profitable, so, yea.

4. Danaria and Katalam, 2 servers. These names are from the best Aion's times we had (debatable).

5. Starting at 66, you will become an ArchDaeva. This is the end game now. Most people are 70-73 with some nolife lunatics 74-75. PvP is basically instanced. Open world PvP is nonexistent. The max you're gonna see is some groups eventually trying to get some fun at the new city maps (Iluma, Norsvold), but nothing much. In arenas most of the players just afk, but you have IDL and KB, I guess? Sieges are a joke. 

6. As Alluran said, just do Luna and you'll get mounts. The NCshop ones are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.

7. Nope, It's a full f2p game. So... bots.

8. It's relatively easy. I came back 2 months ago...? I don't remember, but ... with the help of events and some alts, got my complete PvE and PvP gear already. You can buy your gear from the broker now. You don't even need to spend cash on it, just do a lot of alts and have a lot of time/patience d:

9. I use AionPowerbook, read some information on discord server, sometimes I try the reddit sub. Not so much left now, the playerbase is close. Most still play because spent too much time or money on the game, really like its lore or got friends playing. 

My advice: don't bother spending money on it, just play casually and gear will come. I don't think you have enough time/money/patience or motivation to go to the top. It's an old game, it's fun people have a blast especially with the events. But it's most PvE kinah whoriing, right now.

4 minutes ago, Plezure-KR said:

OK so is anyone familiar with the populations of Israphel, Tiamat, and Kahrun and their broker economy?  Right now my characters are on Kahrun and it seems like the broker is empty and the stuff up for sale is at least 500k or a million for the lower level crap.

Players have known about the merge for almost a year and have been hording items ever since then in preparation. Tomorrow, you can count on seeing items flooding the broker, likely cheaper than they've ever been because people in this game have no concept of patience and undercut each other constantly for no reason.

5 minutes ago, Plezure-KR said:

Oh another question & sorta off topic but how do you disband or leave a legion that you're leader of?  There's literally only me in it.

Go to the same place where you created the legion (in Pandae/Sanctum) and talk to the same NPC that creates legions. Hit "Disband Legion". 

Archived