Forums

Trying to come up with a guide for people starting from scratch

Matsukamy-KT

Since there is a lot more options in terms of aquiring gear and enchanting, it is way more likely right now that people go the wrong way if they dont have the time to check all the options. 

So from what I have seen right now, what you should be aiming in terms of pvp gear if you are rerolling to another class or starting and you dont have the cash to do everything quick is:

Accessories: ring/neck/belt/ear: Herald ancient +13-15. All the way to +13 enchanted with ancient stones. 

Weapon and wings: Go all the way to ultimate dart talon and enchant all the way. The bulk of your AP and legendary enchants should be spent on this 2 pieces, weapon being priority.

Armor: Katalam gear or craft T2. Dont spend much enchanting it.

Plume and bracelet: Ancient +13-15.

Eventually you fill all your pieces with dark talon with this sequence: Head, chest, pants, necklace, rest of armor, then rest of accessories. Dont bother with enchanting pieces of armor once you get them to ultimate.

Retuning HP and att(not crit, att) in ALL pieces, defense(mag or phys) when att not avaidable.

Manastones: Att whenever avaidable, HP and defense if you have them(HP is priority).

So, what do you guys think ? This sound suitable ?

I personally would not socket HP stones in pvp gear unless you're a support build, but even then, there are much better builds than HP. Not to mention, the new S rank minions give a crap ton of HP. My chanter's pdef pvp set now has 86k HP with Blessing of Stone and I don't have any HP manastones (although I do have HP retunes). BUT, that's just my opinion about HP.

Also, I'd say enchanting armor is very important for support builds because of the pvp defense. But your advice about enchanting offensive pieces is good for dps classes.

unless minium starts to rain from the sky from some events, any F2P new player will be really far away from getting a S rank minion, i think if u are out of atk manastones socketing HP can be decent option.

As the enchanting part first weapon and then wings to reach ultimate dark talon is the best option as these item have high base dmg and they will be good for PvE too.

but idk about going the rest of the gear dark talon too, with the huge nerfs on EXP adquisition and genesis crystal Enchantment stones i see it imposible for any new F2P players to finish a full ultimate dark talon set. i think it would be better for them to just get the free legendary gear, complete all the Helper chain quests and then go only weapon and wings dark talon and the rest full Ultimate Battle Marks gear.

fixed it a bit to be up to date with 7.3

On 2019-12-05 at 0:38 AM, Capa-KT said:

skip BoS/FM if you have the Windiel/Windstream quests Legendary Armor set
+ ideally don't open the Sovereign armor selection box until you're only missing 1-2 pieces
+ don't socket gear until you get Ultimate tier, unless you have lower tier manastones
+ tune all pieces with HP/crit/atk/pdef/mdef/MA for dpsers, if you have no crit tuned you will do no dmg

BoS -> FM -> PF/iDD -> SL ->>> PFHM/SLNM/VT
(i.e. Bastion of Souls solo -> Frozen Monolith start trio and go solo/duo depending how much time and dps you have once you're a bit geared -> Primeth's Forge/infernal Drakenspire Depths just go with pretty much any lfg 5-man or 6-man groups, if they have a cleric or semi-decent chanter and generally one vandal you should cheese it no matter what happens -> Stellin Lab there's a few annoying mechanics and some parts where you need to train unless you like spending 1hr per run -> get gear from all previous instances until you're nearly full red and with gear socketed and tuned properly and then you might consider the 3 endgame instances, but ppl don't recruit on lfg for that usually)

+ Crucible Spire at any point, just go as far as you can to collect HP cubics
if your class is too weak to go far in Spire, make a vandal alt on same account and use it to farm Spire (+ other instances for kinah if you're up for it)

+ farm transformation contracts through the lugbug dailies & weeklies and through instances (end bosses sometimes drops a contract box) and of course through events, just cuz running after ppl in ancient is as much a pain in the ass as having a legendary transform and waiting for the slow ancient guy in the back
+ do weekly camps even if you don't pvp because you can buy ancient pve enchantment stones through genesis crystal npc (but ONLY use genesis crystals to buy pve stones if you don't plan on pvping/building pvp gear)
-> you can also farm a bit of extra genesis crystal camps when you have time, and then later just use it to purchase 5 pve and 5 pvp boxes every week
+ lowkey farm minions as they will slightly increase your HP cushion and offensive stats, running pandora pve/pvp instances helps a bit but there's a lot of luck involved, you can also buy one that is class-appropriate from the brokers
+ definitely run Minium Vault (all runs) no matter your gear, it will be useful later if not immediately

also if you want to pvp eventually, join a legion for altar quests + altar siege, look at the altars on dumaha map and hover over each one to see which legions are actively conquering them in the recent days, usually bigger legions also do world bosses (ult/leg weapon + manastones + stigma enchant stones it's pretty cool to gear up), make sure to know what rules for rolling those bosses have cuz certain legions will kick you without asking questions if you roll on certain things by mistake
+ of course run illumiel brawl along with any pvp instance open until you're on CD, crazy important as that is the main source of fighting spirit fragment in the game (they're needed to purify gear from ancient to legendary, and legendary to ultimate, but also to morph pvp enchantment stones later on)
+ Hererym Mine, do trio for Legendary Etiums, until you're full legendary pvp gear, then go solo mid path for AP, you're going to need it

+buy Daevanion Mark of Knowledge even if you don't have Genesis Crystal to craft it immediately, you're going to want to enchant some/all of your skills eventually

+go Crimson Katalam sometimes, the pvp quests + Recapture quests will give much better rewards short term and long term, the legendary mark quests are for when you have too much time on your hands
+the gear isn't bad but I think you should build Dark Talon and focus on making pieces Ult +15, complete your pvp gear (pieces you aren't focusing on/upgrading last) with Ult Blood Mark pieces
-> if you get zerged too much, come back during low traffic times or keep to low traffic areas, or yanno get a group

17 hours ago, DevilNest-KT said:

unless minium starts to rain from the sky from some events, any F2P new player will be really far away from getting a S rank minion, i think if u are out of atk manastones socketing HP can be decent option.

They will make Minium Vault reset-able with luna, so expect people to get s-rank minions in one week because the only driving force behind the whole thing is a-miniums to raise as many a-minions as possible and gamble for an s-minion combination. And then gather s-minium to raise that minion.

18 hours ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

Retuning HP and att(not crit, att) in ALL pieces, defense(mag or phys) when att not avaidable.

Manastones: Att whenever avaidable, HP and defense if you have them(HP is priority).

HP is the probably the worst stat to socket. Even retuning for it is bad unless you are making a totally defensive set with p.def/m.def priority and then HP if applicable.

HP is a passive additional stat that alone is worthless. Let say you are at 60k HP and you manage to go to 65k HP, that extra 5k HP is nothing but 1 hit! Instead put p.def and m.def that is an true passive bonus, every hit you take does less dmg to you, so effectively it is like you have more HP already but in am ore organic way. It adds up to your shields and what not and makes survivability better overall. This is also because HP manastones and retunes aren't really THAT huge of a number especially in manastones. If one manastone gave like +2k HP then yes, socketing HP manastones could make a difference, but the number they are now is very small so ti is like wasting sockets. For retunes you can always put HP once you put the most important stats.

In your case p.attack and p.crit should be a retune priority, after this I would add p.def/m.def because it makes a difference. I am not sure if accuracy is important to sins because most classes do not need it. Adding p.def or m.def as a second-priority stat is also good, even in a non defensive set still does the job (it is not like evasion/block/parry that make sense only if you stack them higher than the enemy's accuracy, p.def and m.def are doing their job even if you add only +1 on them). As for manastones, I think mostly p.attack because you already reach a ton of critical by the items and retunes. I think most people want to have at least 5k critical as a base for that 30% critical chance.

I personally would not socket HP stones in pvp gear unless you're a support build, but even then, there are much better builds than HP. Not to mention, the new S rank minions give a crap ton of HP. My chanter's pdef pvp set now has 86k HP with Blessing of Stone and I don't have any HP manastones (although I do have HP retunes). BUT, that's just my opinion about HP.

Well, when i said slot HP, i meant that a new player wont have enough att manastones to fill all 17 pieces of gear, so the ones left that are actually worth sloting is HP. Of course for specific builds you might want to adapt everything I say.

Now, as far as retuning goes, every single piece of gear should have HP on in, unless you are trying to get a specific setup

Also, I'd say enchanting armor is very important for support builds because of the pvp defense. But your advice about enchanting offensive pieces is good for dps classes.

Well, before you enchant armor, you should have bracelet and plume maxed, because if you are looking for defense, the enchantment makes a much bigger impact on those pieces.

HP is the probably the worst stat to socket. Even retuning for it is bad unless you are making a totally defensive set with p.def/m.def priority and then HP if applicable.

On the contrary, pdef and mdef are worthless, you wont get 1000 for both stats probably even if you tune them in all pieces of gear that allow it, and you will have to use 2 slots in each piece. Theres probably not a better option on some of those pieces other than have 1 of them in each piece, but focus on them is really not worth it. 

HP is a passive additional stat that alone is worthless. Let say you are at 60k HP and you manage to go to 65k HP, that extra 5k HP is nothing but 1 hit!

In plume alone you get around close to 1500 HP. Some classes can have HP in weapon and combine, along with pretty much every single piece of gear. On my gunner, 25% of my HP comes from tuning alone, and its not even every single piece tuned with it(only because the game doesnt allow me). If you are a templar, perhaps you wont need any, but pretty much anyone starting with other classes will require it.

Crit on the other hand should be tuned on the other hand only when there are no other most important stats competing with it, HP being one of them. 

3 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

They will make Minium Vault reset-able with luna, so expect people to get s-rank minions in one week because the only driving force behind the whole thing is a-miniums to raise as many a-minions as possible and gamble for an s-minion combination. And then gather s-minium to raise that minion.

HP is the probably the worst stat to socket. Even retuning for it is bad unless you are making a totally defensive set with p.def/m.def priority and then HP if applicable

Well the OP is about ppl starting from scratch so they have 2 options:

-spend 180-200 dollars for each S rank minium attempt

-make 12 toons and spend 2 hours daily doing luna isntances to be able to do 3 extra resets per day.

And i don't think many new players would be that willing to do that from the get go, so i don't think anyone starting from scratch will get them in 1 week. 6 months maybe? 

About defensive stats i think phy def and magic def are better than HP coz they work directly in the dmg formulas, but in retunes i think is better to have the 3 stats, i have 80k HP 13.5k magic and 13k phy def and still i receive a lot of dmg.

But then again this is for new players so if they are out of atk manastones socket some hp is ok

34 minutes ago, DevilNest-KT said:

About defensive stats i think phy def and magic def are better than HP coz they work directly in the dmg formulas, but in retunes i think is better to have the 3 stats, i have 80k HP 13.5k magic and 13k phy def and still i receive a lot of dmg.

1 hour ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

On the contrary, pdef and mdef are worthless, you wont get 1000 for both stats probably even if you tune them in all pieces of gear that allow it, and you will have to use 2 slots in each piece. Theres probably not a better option on some of those pieces other than have 1 of them in each piece, but focus on them is really not worth it. 

4 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

Instead put p.def and m.def that is an true passive bonus, every hit you take does less dmg to you, so effectively it is like you have more HP already but in am ore organic way. It adds up to your shields and what not and makes survivability better overall. 

In your case p.attack and p.crit should be a retune priority, after this I would add p.def/m.def because it makes a difference.

Yeah, if you're going pdef/mdef, you have to go all in. You can't half ass it or it won't be effective. I have full leg/ulti pdef manastones, literally every manastone. Zero ancient manastones. Fully buffed, I have 17k pdef. I am very tanky against physical classes, BUT I cannot kill anyone unless they're undergeared. (I'm mostly a defensive chanter in regards to pvp, so that's fine for my playstyle.) That's the sacrifice you have to make. So yeah, it's not super viable for dps classes on pdef/mdef because they won't be able to get enough to make it that noticeable. An assassin who can survive, but not kill anyone, isn't that useful to a group.

No matter how you look at it unless you lie to the players starting from scratch there is no realistic way for them to enjoy this game from a PvP standpoint. That has been Aion's issue since 6.0. Spend $1000s, AFK for a long time and just show up to content for rewards depending on buff status or simply do not bother that is the best guide you can give people starting from scratch.

You could make a 20 page in-depth guide but it comes down to the simple fact that no matter what they do the game will be very un-enjoyable if you spend less than $50 a fortnight.

They are truly correct you can do all you want as a new player but it wont be a fun experience. It is rough for new players who feel super behind even when you can tell them exactly what to do to catch up it requires a lot of time and dedication most people don't have. I can also attest to if you make a support set you do have to go all in like @Vantheria-DN said. I have 2 finished pvp sets evasion and mr and yeah it is so hard to kill me but I do literally 0 dmg. so if I am gonna kill someone I have to kill them in my pve gear but if I switch to pve and they are geared I die.

I just think telling people pdef and mdef for sets sounds good for survivability but they will have no damage as a dps class

4 hours ago, Ereliya-KT said:

They are truly correct you can do all you want as a new player but it wont be a fun experience. It is rough for new players who feel super behind even when you can tell them exactly what to do to catch up it requires a lot of time and dedication most people don't have. I can also attest to if you make a support set you do have to go all in like @Vantheria-DN said. I have 2 finished pvp sets evasion and mr and yeah it is so hard to kill me but I do literally 0 dmg. so if I am gonna kill someone I have to kill them in my pve gear but if I switch to pve and they are geared I die.

I just think telling people pdef and mdef for sets sounds good for survivability but they will have no damage as a dps class

It certainly wont be fun lol. But we can at least give some advice for people so they dont waste their valuable time. Anyway, i made a new toon and honestly, the starting zones are pretty much empty, perhaps they can get some returning players to try out this patch, but new people probably not.

Well, at least they are doing something like giving some free legendary and ultimate armor for starters.

15 hours ago, HealingSquid-KT said:

No matter how you look at it unless you lie to the players starting from scratch there is no realistic way for them to enjoy this game from a PvP standpoint. That has been Aion's issue since 6.0. Spend $1000s, AFK for a long time and just show up to content for rewards depending on buff status or simply do not bother that is the best guide you can give people starting from scratch.

You could make a 20 page in-depth guide but it comes down to the simple fact that no matter what they do the game will be very un-enjoyable if you spend less than $50 a fortnight.

Well, i just saw this video of this player here on this forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=PtEfwV0CCtg&feature=emb_logo

Well, he shows his stats as he plays 17600 att, 11800 acc and 2900 pvp att.

He also only has ancient treansformation it seems. I mean, it doesnt take that long to get those stats, or does it ?

Sure it is not the top people na, but he seems to be able to kill a lot of people ni open world.

tbh as glad those stats are really not hard to get no but even as other classes for full legendary yeah thats not hard to get but I feel a lot is against ungeared players or maybe im doing something wrong because in full ulti pve gear my stats are much higher and I tickle pvp players. like 17.6 and 2.9 so 20.6 if pvp atk is 1:1. well my chanter in full pve is 19.6 in dps and I pop on blessing of wind and there is that 20.3 and I have 6.3 crit but I tickle some pvp players. So I feel like yeah ungeared players I smash in a combo but idk if the video is a good judge for pvp viability for a casual player.

5 hours ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

Well, i just saw this video of this player here on this forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=PtEfwV0CCtg&feature=emb_logo

Well, he shows his stats as he plays 17600 att, 11800 acc and 2900 pvp att.

He also only has ancient treansformation it seems. I mean, it doesnt take that long to get those stats, or does it ?

Sure it is not the top people na, but he seems to be able to kill a lot of people ni open world.

i know nothing about this player tho. Did he recently come back to the game and had billions from previous patches so he was not actually starting from scratch? Did he already have alt accounts set up for luna/events? The idea of this thread is to make a guide for people starting from scratch and the point i was trying to make is you can not lie to the players starting to scratch and say do X or Y and you will be geared in no time. 

Players starting from scratch are in for some very un-fun activities for at least 3-6 months unless rng allows otherwise. I think for the most part players can get katalam gear in a reasonable time but every resource used on katalam gear = not being used on the eventual catch up to BiS gear. Using no resources on Kata gear = not getting close to 2.9k PvP Attack(remember glads get slaughter and i think that is the PvP buff up the top as well?). 

Realistic expectations keeps more players being content for geared player than unrealistic expectations.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:26 PM, Ereliya-KT said:

tbh as glad those stats are really not hard to get no but even as other classes for full legendary yeah thats not hard to get but I feel a lot is against ungeared players or maybe im doing something wrong because in full ulti pve gear my stats are much higher and I tickle pvp players. like 17.6 and 2.9 so 20.6 if pvp atk is 1:1. well my chanter in full pve is 19.6 in dps and I pop on blessing of wind and there is that 20.3 and I have 6.3 crit but I tickle some pvp players. So I feel like yeah ungeared players I smash in a combo but idk if the video is a good judge for pvp viability for a casual player.

There is a HUGE misconception about PvE/PvP attack and base line attack stats.

A lot of people seem to think essentially it's additive. I.e. If you have 15k base attack, and 2k PvP attack, you'd have 17k attack in PvP.

This is SUPER wrong and it's extremely baffling. Even if it were true the later bits in formula make this thought rather silly.

I'm not sure of the exact formula, as ever since a little after the 5.x change in PvP formula damage increase for PvP is very obscure (i.e. back then 10% PvP attack could increase your PvP damage by say 26% for example).  Not sure of the exact cause, but damage scales, not additively. 

28 minutes ago, Jake-DN said:

A lot of people seem to think essentially it's additive. I.e. If you have 15k base attack, and 2k PvP attack, you'd have 17k attack in PvP.

This is SUPER wrong and it's extremely baffling. Even if it were true the later bits in formula make this thought rather silly.

I'm not sure of the exact formula, as ever since a little after the 5.x change in PvP formula damage increase for PvP is very obscure (i.e. back then 10% PvP attack could increase your PvP damage by say 26% for example).  Not sure of the exact cause, but damage scales, not additively. 

Yes because the formula that takes into consideration p.attack or magic attack goes like this:

P.attack of attacker - p.def of the one receiving the attack.

Effectively if player A has 12k p.attack and player B has 10k p.def, then the formula for dmg has 2k p.attack in it (12.000-10.000=2.000), in this scenario if the attacker gets to 14k p.attack (+2000) he effectively doubled his dmg output to the said 10k p.def player B because the formula now has 14.000-10.000=4.000 in the formula. Of course if the Defender also got +2000 p.def then the formula for dmg remains the same, 14.000-12.000 = 2.000 p.attack in it.

This is why gear matters a ton now, someone who is highly geared get a ton of attack and defense, someone who is not geared literally has no chance against the geared guy.

Attack vs Defense is pretty straight forward after 6.0+

1 hour ago, Jake-DN said:

This is not a misconception, this is how the formula works after the 6.0 update. Its att + pvp att - (def + pvp def) added some other stuff and multiplied by other factors. And its exactly why the game is completely gear carried now plus some other changes, like the change in skill damage and the reduction in the number of skills. It basicly makes your stats win fights for you.

@TheSecretCowLeve-KT can tell us more about it.

2 hours ago, Jake-DN said:

19 hours ago, Jake-DN said:

You're incorrect. Pve/pvp attack is additive to physical/magical attack but the effect is based on your targets effective defense.

Say you have 17k physical + pvp attack and your target has 15k physical defense + pvp defense. Your effective physical attack is 2k. If you raise your attack to 18k total, then your effective physical attack is 3k, so you would hit approximately 50% harder. 

@Jake-DN I understand its not 1:1 but that's what people were saying so I was using it as people were saying. thus me also saying at the start, "IF pvpve atk is 1:1." That's why my other comment that I have 20k atk on my toon in pve set but I tickle players in ulti pvp gear IF it was 1:1 I would do much more dmg because the 1:1 would only drop my 20k atk by 3k pvp def and their normal p.def which is not the case. Because when im in pve gear I still do very little dmg to the pvp gear players and I know they are not all running full pdef sets. I was comparing the base stats and if my pve gear was in fact the same but pvp. I was only trying to say that the stats that the glad in the video had were not impressive and its severely padded by slaughter for his atk and pvp atk

7 hours ago, Ereliya-KT said:

@Jake-DN I understand its not 1:1 but that's what people were saying so I was using it as people were saying. thus me also saying at the start, "IF pvpve atk is 1:1." That's why my other comment that I have 20k atk on my toon in pve set but I tickle players in ulti pvp gear IF it was 1:1 I would do much more dmg because the 1:1 would only drop my 20k atk by 3k pvp def and their normal p.def which is not the case. Because when im in pve gear I still do very little dmg to the pvp gear players and I know they are not all running full pdef sets. I was comparing the base stats and if my pve gear was in fact the same but pvp. I was only trying to say that the stats that the glad in the video had were not impressive and its severely padded by slaughter for his atk and pvp atk

If you are in pve set, you miss the pvp attack that is added to the overall p.attack and if your enemies are in pvp gear they get p.def that is subtracted by your p.attack in your dps formula. At the same time you miss pvp defense while your enemies have pvp attack bonus. This creates a ton of difference in stats.

EXAMPLE:

With my Dark Talon +15 pvp set I have
+2.905 pvp attack
18.299 base m.attack with no buffs
19.499 with the daevanion buff
22.404 total attack on pvp, 19.499+2.905 (lets take the example when i have my buff on)

My defense with the pvp set is like this:
12.477 p.def
14.126 m.def and
3.467 pvp defense.
15.944 total p.def in pvp and
17.593 m.def in pvp

~~~

If we had 2x characters with my exact same stats, the dps formula would take
4.811 m.attack (22.404 m.att - 17.593 m.def)

If I had the exact same BASE stats but with pve gear, I would have to remove the pvp defense and also the pvp offense.
My pve self would be hitting my pvp self like this: 19.499 m.att - 17.593 m.def = 1.906 m.attack in formula
My pvp self would be hitting my pve self like this: 22.404 - 14.126 = 8.278 m.attack in the dps formula

###

So you realize that in the above examples I would be hitting with these:
4.811 m.attack PvP char vs PvP char
1.906 m.attack PvE char vs PvP char
8.278 m.attack PvP char vs PvE char
...attack vs defense is pretty straight forward now, you just have to see what you are attacking and how you are attacking.

I returned to the game 2 or 3 weeks ago and here are a few things I wish I had known.

don't throw out old weapons if you are a duel wield class as they might still have some use.

Don't buy any godstones or idian.

Don't throw out old skins, they might be worth something.

Make a bunch of alts and afk luna on them daily, on a few do not craft the luna  just keep the mats to make transformation contracts and get the free transformation mats from bcm to these alts, distribute evenly among them so they can all work towards them at the same time.

Buy gold ingots (as many as you can, as often as you can) on a couple of alts, these will be used to buy legendary mats that you will need 40 of, you can buy 5 a week with 25 gold ingots, these will be used to get legendary transformation contract, you will also need two of the legendary transform mats from BCM, you can get 1 free per month.

Don't waist gold ingots that you got from exchange to buy that started weapon or armor box that you can buy with ingots , that stuff is not worth it.

There is a guy in Lakrum main base that will give you mats to make legendary daevanation skill book.

Get genesis crystals and bloodmarks, make sure you follow that Windstream quest line for the free ultimate pvp piece, ( I suggest picking the chest).

Do not put nice skins on gear you plan to upgrade, wait to put the skins on when it is fully upgraded so you don't lose the skins.

Archived