Graphic engine is getting old

WaterDragonL-KT

3 hours ago, Hallo-DN said:

Blade and Soul  unreal 4 engine hasn't been upgraded yet

it has. i played it like a month ago on that new/test(idk) Korean server. But I'm pretty sure upgrading from ue3 to eu4 is not that much of an issue as most of the code should still work.
Changing from one ass old engine to a completely different one is rather unrealistic for a game like aion.

12 minutes ago, WaterDragonL-KT said:

How much would it cost approcimetly to update engine

How could we possibly know that man? "Cost" means reprogramming what doesn't work and making the whole game either compatible with a newer engine or redesign a ton of things for the newer code. It has to do with everything from compatibility between engines and the new code they need to make it work.

the way you ask it is as if they have to "buy" a new engine and simply mount it on the game or something. they make the games from scratch, it is the manpower they have to pay to do it not a static cost.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:55 PM, WaterDragonL-KT said:

How much would it cost approcimetly to update engine

Probably not too many millions less than making a new game on a new engine but with the same ideas behind it.

I haven't checked on BnS in a while, but the UE4 client (the upgrade from UE3) has/had an entirely separate server from the main game, where you had to start over, iirc.

• 10 months later...

Seems NCsoft is releasing B&S using Unreal Engine 4 in Q3 this year.

The Cryengine that drives Aion, is the highest lag engine in an MMORPG I have ever played.

What gets me is ArenaNet, a division of NCsoft, wrote their own engine for Guildwars and Guildwars 2 and it totally blows away the Aion Cryengine. Try a World vs World siege in GW2 if you want to see what massive PvP looks like. So Aion could have been using the Guildwars engine for many years, no need to pay for Cryengine license.

Archived