[Theorycraft] Aion 7.7 lore points out that Beritra and Apsu are gay?

Lapis-DN

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Kelekelio (the owner of Aion Powerbook) uploaded a new cutscene to his youtube channel, where you can see Inanna accepting the inherit of all Apsu’s powers and his crown, becoming extremely powerful. The scene is just a view of the future that the Artifact of Time provides for the player with the help of Irinin. You can see that the (incomplete/placeholder ?) asset used to characterize Apsu is male and his voice is also male.

There is evidence in the game that Balaur are shapeshifters and can choose the gender which they identify, but it is interesting to know that both Beritra and Apsu are probably male. The lore of the game shows that the two were very close and loved each other a long time ago.
Fun fact: both ascended to Balaur at the same time, a sign of a strong bond between them.
Apsu used to be the original 5th Dragon Lord before Tiamat betrayed and killed him/her;

The problem is that a lot of words seem to be getting lost in translation or NCSOFT doesn't even remember what gender have they applied to their characters. A similar issue happened when during 3.x and 4.x patch during Tiamaranta, a book described Tiamat's rise to power and in the book it mentioned Tiamat as "he", yet we see it's female. Same thing happened with Ereshkigal at first, everyone thought it was male, but nope.

It would be actually a nice things to see a same-sex relationship in the game (I mean, even FFXIV has done it), but homosexuality is still very taboo in Korea, so who knows. We'll have to see.

4 hours ago, Kubei-DN said:

The problem is that a lot of words seem to be getting lost in translation or NCSOFT doesn't even remember what gender have they applied to their characters. A similar issue happened when during 3.x and 4.x patch during Tiamaranta, a book described Tiamat's rise to power and in the book it mentioned Tiamat as "he", yet we see it's female. Same thing happened with Ereshkigal at first, everyone thought it was male, but nope.

It would be actually a nice things to see a same-sex relationship in the game (I mean, even FFXIV has done it), but homosexuality is still very taboo in Korea, so who knows. We'll have to see.

Yes, this is true!
Also if you check the comics released by NCsoft Korea during the 5.6 events, the balaur who found Ereshkigal talk to the other balaur that he is as a male (this case is not a translation mistake), at this time I believe primitive drakan forms didnt have any gender at all, but this info can be used to confirm that modern balaur are shapeshifters and can "perform" the gender that they identifies better with.

another fun fact: there is an Asmodian General in Gelkmaros that is transexual, as she is female who identifies as a male and is treated as a male by other daevas. The conversation with that NPC is about his gender.

1. The model wasn't a placeholder. I had corrupted game files and it loaded the default npc model and I didn't feel like recording it again. The best I could do at this point was to show him in a thumbnail. 

2. The story of the quest is:
Irinin is looking for siel's relics. What he found was something that felt close to the relic that controls time (the one israphel tried to use in 3.0 to go back in time) but wasn't it.
Turned out it was a device (the clock thing) created by Jotuns in the image of siel's relic but this one could only show the future.
When you touch it, you see the most probable future where Apsu crowns Inanna as a new Dragon Lord. She then turns to a dragon and kills everyone.

4 minutes ago, 5s152F76-DN said:

1. The model wasn't a placeholder. I had corrupted game files and it loaded the default npc model and I didn't feel like recording it again. The best I could do at this point was to show him in a thumbnail. 

Irinin is looking for siel's relics. What he found was something that felt close to the relic that controls time (the one israphel tried to use in 3.0 to go back in time) but wasn't it.
Turned out it was a device (the clock thing) created by Jotuns in the image of siel's relic but this one could only show the future.
When you touch it, you see the most probable future where Apsu crowns Inanna as a new Dragon Lord. She then turns to a dragon and kills everyone.

who's irinin in the lore?

The voice sounds more like Beritra's, and when Inanna puts the crown on, her eyes glow the same color as Beritra's, and her dragon-form looks like his too, from what little we can see. It seems more likely that Beritra essentially uploaded his power into Apsu's crown, and used it to possess Inanna; the currently un-modeled character in the vision could easily be an illusion, knowing Beritra, and considering that Apsu is as dead as a Dragon Lord can be. It would also make sense for Beritra of all people to have held on to Apsu's crown.

Dragon Lords CAN shapeshift, but only between 2 forms; their dragon form, and their humanoid form, and these forms seem very fixed. Outside of translation errors, there's no evidence that Balaur or Dragon Lords can change their physical forms without infection/alteration by an outside source.

All previous mentions of Apsu say she's female, and again, NC is very unreliable when it comes to translating characters' genders in text; the book and quest where we first heard about Apsu mistakenly called Tiamat and Apsu "he" until it was changed to "she" later. 

I guess we'll see when the patch gets translated...and fully modeled.

1 hour ago, Raxxu-KT said:

NC is very unreliable when it comes to translating characters' genders in text

NCKorea confirmed multiple times that dragon lord as gender fluid and can change it at any given time.
NCEurope (since they were the ones making loca for aion as far as i remember) confirmed that they used to translate dragon lords as he or she on different occasions on purpose. For example, they would translate one dragon lord as he in English but as she in french.

3 hours ago, 5s152F76-DN said:

thank you Kelekelio.
I made this post before you confirmed that the "male" placeholder was due to a crash in your client and the real thing was just a shadow.

But I think it don't change much about the possibility of both Beritra and Apsu using the male gender as a corporal manifestation and yet loving each other.
I think we have to wait the next patch to confirm?
I would love more conversation between the dragon lords (all of them) but they don't interact too much as the game goes on, thats bad.

54 minutes ago, Cheesecake-DN said:

Beritra had a second humanoid/daeva disguise that he used to trick your character into finding Hyperion and stuff.

There was also a book in Tiamaranta that referenced Apsu as Beritra's lover and a guy, iirc.

This really isn't quite new lore.

And (oops) he did it again during Primeth's Forge events.

1 hour ago, Raxxu-KT said:

The voice sounds more like Beritra's, and when Inanna puts the crown on, her eyes glow the same color as Beritra's, and her dragon-form looks like his too, from what little we can see. It seems more likely that Beritra essentially uploaded his power into Apsu's crown, and used it to possess Inanna; the currently un-modeled character in the vision could easily be an illusion, knowing Beritra, and considering that Apsu is as dead as a Dragon Lord can be. It would also make sense for Beritra of all people to have held on to Apsu's crown.

Dragon Lords CAN shapeshift, but only between 2 forms; their dragon form, and their humanoid form, and these forms seem very fixed. Outside of translation errors, there's no evidence that Balaur or Dragon Lords can change their physical forms without infection/alteration by an outside source.

All previous mentions of Apsu say she's female, and again, NC is very unreliable when it comes to translating characters' genders in text; the book and quest where we first heard about Apsu mistakenly called Tiamat and Apsu "he" until it was changed to "she" later. 

I guess we'll see when the patch gets translated...and fully modeled.

As kelekelio said, they can shapeshift and fit between genders too.
Also, Beritra absorbed the powers of Genesis Relic after the defeat of Ereshkigal in Veilenthrone/Senekta, we still don't know what he plans to do with this power. It was very likely that he would ressurect Apsu since the genesis relic have the power of creation.

Archived