Linux and Aion

MayBlue-DN

Aion runs smoothly on Linux, with a 64bit wine prefix (and wine is NOT an emulator).
You should use wine-staging though (any version from 5.0 onwards).

I play on EU without additional winetricks. For whatever reason I needed "winetricks d3dx9" for NA.
I couldn't make NCLauncher2 to work so far though, you have to keep using the old NCLauncher.

2 hours ago, Emeryne-KT said:

Aion runs smoothly on Linux, with a 64bit wine prefix (and wine is NOT an emulator).
You should use wine-staging though (any version from 5.0 onwards).

I play on EU without additional winetricks. For whatever reason I needed "winetricks d3dx9" for NA.
I couldn't make NCLauncher2 to work so far though, you have to keep using the old NCLauncher.

Nobody said Wine is an emulator.

I'm making progress...

I was able to install the old Aion Launcher and run it under wine.

The launcher installed Aion on the new pc.

All looks good up until the choose a char screen. It's just black with a mouse cursor.

I'll check drivers for GPU, but I think I'm missing a package for wine, or need to change a setting or two.

14 hours ago, MayBlue-DN said:

I got Aion up and running in Manjaro Linux.

I followed the advice from: (I still need to play with some settings, but so far so good

If you find a way it would be good to go the player support section and post a guide for those that use linux and they don't have the option to use windows.

6 hours ago, Ferk-DN said:

OMG

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator")

Yes normie, everyone knows that. This is "Linux-users-trying-to-be-witty-101". I was alive when Linux was created, I had to endure it in university, nobody liked it back in early 2000s.

14 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

Yes normie, everyone knows that. This is "Linux-users-trying-to-be-witty-101". I was alive when Linux was created, I had to endure it in university, nobody liked it back in early 2000s.

I was subscribed to comp.os.minix when Linus posted his first process swapping code, which I probably still have a copy of on floppy somewhere.

Linux/*nix is are the most popular operating system in the world, under the hood of Android, IOS, Mac OSX and many other GUIs. Aion already make a version for Android but not *nix desktops, go figure.! The devs are lazy, NCsoft owns GuildWars which has an official port on Wine for Mac OSX and it runs well.

I had Aion running on Linux for years, but it broke when NCsoft introduced the 3rd. party anti-hacking program which wrongly detected Linux as a hack. I noticed that the frame rate under Wine was a lot lower than under windows, but far less graphics related errors and crashes, especially during sieges. So running Aion with Wine is a worthwhile things to do.

• 2 weeks later...

old launcher is dead. I can no longer play Aion with the old launcer. we "must update" bla bla bla....

this is the error when I use Launcher 2

0060:fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity 00000000, -1, 00000000, 00000000, 2, 3, 00000000, 0, 00000000 stub
0060:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_services_CreateInstanceEnum unsupported flags 0x00000021
0084:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0084:err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
0110:fixme:nls:GetFileMUIPath stub: 0x10, L"C:\\windows\\system32\\tzres.dll", (null), 0299F3C8, 001CABF8, 0299F3CC, 0299F3C0
0110:fixme:nls:GetFileMUIPath stub: 0x10, L"C:\\windows\\system32\\tzres.dll", (null), 0299F3C8, 001CABF8, 0299F3CC, 0299F3C0
0024:fixme:mscoree:parse_supported_runtime sku=L".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.2" not implemented
0024:fixme:mscoree:parse_supported_runtime sku=L".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.2" not implemented
0024:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0024:err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
Can't find custom attr constructor image: C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\NC Launc
her 2\NCLauncher2.exe mtoken: 0x0a0006ea due to: Could not load file or assembly
 'PresentationCore, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad3
64e35' or one of its dependencies.
Failed to run module constructor due to (null) assembly:C:\windows\mono\mono-2.0\lib\mono\4.5\mscorlib.dll type:TypeInitializationException member:(null)

I'll keep working on it...

Hey, Devs! give Aion Linux support, advertise it will run on Linux, and player base will go up.

It's getting better: I can start Launcher 2, enter id and pw, but then the error is:

System.NullReferenceException
인증서를 찾을 수 없습니다.
   at A.c534e1664793830cb679d24d47d088810..ctor(String , String , Int32 , String , String , String , Int32 , String , Boolean , c58bd16845dd89cdccf2be96aac716727 )
   at NCLauncherW.ViewModels.LauncherServiceLocator.c8f2ae7ac94891c9781b62fcc4e22d440()
   at NCLauncherW.ViewModels.LauncherServiceLocator.c345f13679ba7d31e595abc27dae2fc04.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at (TaskAwaiter`1& )
   at A.cc5578b8897930d10077f757bb1a294be.c47dc36c3ef840496a5f5c268b6bdd157(TaskAwaiter`1& )
   at NCLauncherW.ViewModels.SignInWindowViewModel.ce4926a777caabba57e454590f8cfbcd4.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

google says 인증서를 찾을 수 없습니다.  is "Certificate could not be found"

I'm hoping all I need is another .dll from winetricks, and/or change a setting in one of the files, but I do not want to guess.

Thanks for any help! maybe a link to another website with the information is all we need.

I'm using wine-staging-5.9-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst (I think this is not 5.19, it is 5.9) I use 5.8.11-1-MANJARO (linux58)

• 10 months later...
12 hours ago, Zarbi said:

Does Wine work with AIon Classic?

I have an Ubuntu 21.04 box that's not doing much.

Yes but unless you know the technicalities to fix issues by yourself, it's better if you try to install it through Lutris. Since there's no longer anti-cheat program, it should work.

Archived