Aion Classic coming 11/11 in Korea

Pharoahra-DN

well interesting arguments but the arguments themselves hide something very important.

Your talking about it.   The game doesn't interest you some of you say, but your TALKING about it.

Argument arguments arguments.. but your TALKING about it.

Guys I'm in my 60's.  I've owned a business.  As a salesman  if a customer mentions it, and you didn't bring it up the customer is looking for a better deal because they want it.  They like the idea but as a salesman your job is to work through those objections and make it work for them.. And there is a reason for that.   If they don't buy, you don't get paid!

So what I see is the interest is definitely there, but we need better code.  We need many of the newer graphics, and the doggone thing needs to have less lag in multiplayer PvP, and there has to be room for NON-PvP players.   We need a lot, but we are all in love with the original game, and it's grind, and it's challenge.   Can NCSoft have at it a second time around and get it done right this time?   If they want to, yes they can.   Let us please urge them to want to.   Do it for yourself.    I'd rather seem them try and fail then not try at all. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing for sure is that if there is a NA classic it will be full of bots and kinah seller spams.

I personally would neverp lay Aion classic, what I think aion needs to revive is

• bring back all maps
  • make it so all maps matter in a way (but not in the merge interserver way with timer)
  • bring back aethertapping and essencetapping
  • bring back professions (and we should be able to have them all in one main character instead of alts like the old days)
  • make sure everything in game can be acquired in many ways (like world bosses but also slower solo friendly ways so small legions don't feel like quitting)
  • make housing good again, even make it better and expand it. Make additional maps for housing if you can, give peopel the chance to get a house and evolve it all the way to a palace by "building it"
  • make a way so people can have collections of ALL skins that they can use infinitely (even if it takes luna/kinah to re-skin them)
  • bring back all mounts and all pet especially the inventory pets
  • AND lastly make sure that RNG is not the driving force behind Aion, everything should have an RNG way of getting them but also a slower more secure way with more effort, when people try way too hard and fail in the end without a single reward this is where people simply quit the game.

There is way to make the game amazing again.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, Voltric-DN said:

This was my first thought as well. Our population is so drastically low right now that if they opened a classic server you might as well sign Aion's death certificate here in NA. Everyone would be flocking to that server like crazy and the existing servers would suffer dramatically. Not to mention, we all know how poorly NCWest handles multi-tasking. Let's not give them another server to try and maintain. ?

I agree with part of this.  It will definitely split the population, at least temporarily, and it will strain the staff which already can't maintain a single codebase, let alone two.  But apart from the fundamental issues, I don't see this as causing a mass exodus.  It might split the population enough to make them both bad, but it won't kill one for the sake of the other.  A lot of people have invested too much time building their toon(s) here, and others have invested a lot of money in making their on Mini Gods.  Those people aren't going to want to pay $20/month to go back to start the grind over from scratch, only to hit a wall and play a toon that will now feel horribly weak by what they have gotten used to.  The grind is fun when the game is exciting and new, but not after it's aged.  If for no other reason, going back to trying to socket that 6th manastone and watching them all fall out on a fail is reason enough to stay away.  I loved Aion when I first started, but there's a host of reasons I wouldn't want to go backwards.

If I could pretend none of that mattered, I still wouldn't go.  Why would anyone expect that things would be different?  Once players all cap out on levels and gear, they will get bored, which requires "new" content updates to keep the player base happy.  What makes anyone think they aren't going to follow the exact same path as the first time?  They aren't going to invest in reinventing the game as they go - the population is already too small to justify the expense.  There are only two logical paths: either they don't update the game for the nostalgia, and the game stagnates and dies, or they do update, and the game ends up right back where it is now. 

It's not a game that's going to attract a bevy of new players - the community is broken.  It would be incredibly confusing to brand new players that had never heard of the game to search Youtube for Aion videos and find all of this content that doesn't exist in their game.  Not to mention all of the "here's why I quit Aion" by some of the bigger Aion channels.

The problem with nostalgia is that it's often best left in the memory.  All-too-often the realities do not live up to the memories.

"You can never go home again."
~ Thomas Wolfe

On 10/30/2020 at 6:55 PM, Bittena-DN said:

well interesting arguments but the arguments themselves hide something very important.

Your talking about it.   The game doesn't interest you some of you say, but your TALKING about it.

Argument arguments arguments.. but your TALKING about it.

All due respect, but I talk about COVID-19 every day, and often have arguments about it.  But I still don't want COVID-19.

So from what I gather the main points of the classic server are the following:

v1.2 Content with some v1.9 combat mechanics added in for the sake of balance and the v2.7 client since it had the CryEngine 2.0 engine. 

v1.2 = Lev 50 cap, no Dark Poeta and Dredgion or lev 50 Daevian quests. First update is v1.5 that will have those in it later. Leveling will be significantly faster with a permanent boost of 1.0-1.5 times the normal exp. Item trading is back, you have to purchase or acquire skill books (looking at you SM pet skills) and item drop rates are increased to reduce the time to have to farm, and stigmas require stigma shards to equip.  I can't remember is shards for increase dmg is in game but I want to say it was in game prior to the introduction of stigma shards or they may be one in the same, was a long time ago. Easy farm in Abyss.

v1.9 = Remove Shock skill (THANK GOD!!!) and Armsfusion mechanic the latter is major because dual wield classes had a major overpowered balance prior to this mechanic being implemented. Wing clip skills that were OP during flight combat may have been fixed as well as the flight combat issue mages ran into when casting a skill long cast time skill like sleep or fear where the target could close their wings before the casting finished and drop beyond the 25m range and interrupt/stop the casting.

v2.7 Client which has the CryEngine 2.0 engine update to the game from v2.5 which fixed quite a few of the memory leak issues (especially in Abyss during sieges) and let the game run in 64-bit mode natively which means that the game is allowed to use more than 4GBs of RAM- this will help a lot with any existing memory leaks so try to have at least 8GB of RAM.. Honestly, it's 2020, if your PC doesn't at least have 16GB of RAM, instead of investing in Aion Classic, be smart and upgrade your hardware. Also CryEngine 2.0 had much better GPU support because this game was EXTREMELY CPU intensive back then which was dumb.  The game literally ran better on a 4.5Ghz single core than 2.5 GHz dual and quad cores.. Game size will be about 19GB. I'm actually interested how it will run now on SSD drives (I run dual SSDs in Raid0 myself).

The hourly pay model is an Asian thing, as never at any point did Americans (at least US) pay $0.25 an hr to play an MMO, it was always $15 month for unlimited play. If we have to pay to play, the cost better not be more than that and better be unlimited play per month. Supposedly, you can do F2P on classic server but you get EXP and AP gain restrictions as well as Kinah caps after 1hr of play per day, so it would behoove you to get the prestige pass.

2 hours ago, Malachyte-KT said:

The hourly pay model is an Asian thing, as never at any point did Americans (at least US) pay $0.25 an hr to play an MMO, it was always $15 month for unlimited play. If we have to pay to play, the cost better not be more than that and better be unlimited play per month. Supposedly, you can do F2P on classic server but you get EXP and AP gain restrictions as well as Kinah caps after 1hr of play per day, so it would behoove you to get the prestige pass.

Kinda off topic: I would say paying per hour from a normal monthly cost in total would be cool for any game since it's more fair for people who work, however the price point would beat up no-lifers at $60 per month according to my calculations if they played 8 hr a day. I would add a cap per month.

In this case, they should try adding cost caps per month, and they should lower the hourly rate. If it was a new game $30 per month max, $0.125 per hour would be an okay price; but it's a old game, a very old game, I'd reduce both prices, heavily.

Either way this is gonna die like the rest of classic-like themed content.

1 hour ago, Motgar-KT said:

Kinda off topic: I would say paying per hour from a normal monthly cost in total would be cool for any game since it's more fair for people who work, however the price point would beat up no-lifers at $60 per month according to my calculations if they played 8 hr a day. I would add a cap per month.

In this case, they should try adding cost caps per month, and they should lower the hourly rate. If it was a new game $30 per month max, $0.125 per hour would be an okay price; but it's a old game, a very old game, I'd reduce both prices, heavily.

Either way this is gonna die like the rest of classic-like themed content.

What are you on? Paying per hour? First off, as I said, that would never fly for an MMO released in the US, it NEVER has. Asians countries allowed their gamers to be ripped off like that, but that would NEVER fly in the US. Gacha Systems may be allowed now, but even those and loot box style (like the Aion Transformation system) predatory monetizing schemes have their days numbered. Just look at EA in the Netherlands, there are more talks about it worldwide and even here the issue is being brought up by a Senator in California I think. Honestly, at some point mobile games will have a reckoning on their hands as well, it's already started.

As I said before, $15 a month is the norm for a game as a service/subscription plan in the US and that was true when Aion first came out here 11 yrs ago because that is what it charged. If your aim is to curtail people rocketing ahead of you because they have the time or the money, the reality is this world is a cruel one but also fair depending on the perspective. Because you don't have the same funds as others don't mean you should be entitled to the same privileges with exception to necessities in life, this really should only apply to luxuries- playing a video game is a luxury not a necessity. I know that sounds harsh but look at it like this, those people paying more are also the main reason people with less are even able to play. People may hate P2W people with a passion but that doesn't make the broke ones any less of a leech. Understand, I'm not saying this to be an ass or sound like an elites snob- this is just the reality. A no-lifer who is running up credit card bills to play is still putting in time and effort to make their character better, it is not up to you or I to determine how much value that person's time and willingness to spend is. NCSoft is also trying to run a profitable business, who do you think they would prefer to try to draw in? Those willing to pay for more or those not willing to pay for more (or unfortunate enough to be incapable) but demand the same benefits?

Gaming is a luxury and it can get expensive.

Also, here is what I was talking about that's happening in Netherlands right now:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-29-ea-fined-10m-over-loot-boxes-as-dutch-court-sides-with-gambling-authority#:~:text=A Netherlands District Court this,country's Betting and Gaming Act.

17 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

One thing for sure is that if there is a NA classic it will be full of bots and kinah seller spams.

I personally would neverp lay Aion classic, what I think aion needs to revive is

• bring back all maps
  • make it so all maps matter in a way (but not in the merge interserver way with timer)
  • bring back aethertapping and essencetapping
  • bring back professions (and we should be able to have them all in one main character instead of alts like the old days)
  • make sure everything in game can be acquired in many ways (like world bosses but also slower solo friendly ways so small legions don't feel like quitting)
  • make housing good again, even make it better and expand it. Make additional maps for housing if you can, give peopel the chance to get a house and evolve it all the way to a palace by "building it"
  • make a way so people can have collections of ALL skins that they can use infinitely (even if it takes luna/kinah to re-skin them)
  • bring back all mounts and all pet especially the inventory pets
  • AND lastly make sure that RNG is not the driving force behind Aion, everything should have an RNG way of getting them but also a slower more secure way with more effort, when people try way too hard and fail in the end without a single reward this is where people simply quit the game.

There is way to make the game amazing again.

All that content is great and meaningful for reasons other than nostalgia if there are no such things as events/luna and other progression paths that invalidate everything you just said.

The principal of 6.0 is base on selfishness and everyone must pay.
You can't trade anything you can't help anyone or anyone help you.
Since starting of 4.0 the game trying to force everyone to PvP and do better DPS(time limited instances),the idea behind it was so everyone will pay more to get better stats to competitive in game.

But what actually happened was people with lesser skills and do not want to PvP just left the game make population smaller and affected the sale in long term because without them crafters can't sell pots/scrolls/food and if crafters can't sell they can't buy stuff from people who brought stuff from BCM with kinah either everything went downhill to this point.

NC believed adding more p2w and reliable on whales will be enough for the game keep making money but that's wrong too whales don't want to pay in a game where's no people.
People shouldn't forced to rush to max level and ignored everything ,instances,quests before max level should have some value items that can't farm by max level.

Aion in current version will never recover as long as it based on 6.0 idea.( Transformation,Gold sand shop,Massive RNG must gone and trading back)
Graphics in Aion was and is never a major problem ,the major problem is the game force you to do things you don't want it never be a choice it's always must do or you lag behind everyone else.

You can't ignored the fact that in every game there're people who's lesser skills don't want to pay or don't want to pay much, if you ignored those people(which is majority of players). Your game will fail no matter it's classic or not.

Again I don't think people who making decision will understand since they most likely never play the game that they making decisions for.

41 minutes ago, Nalariel-KT said:

The principal of 6.0 is base on selfishness and everyone must pay.
You can't trade anything you can't help anyone or anyone help you.
Since starting of 4.0 the game trying to force everyone to PvP and do better DPS(time limited instances),the idea behind it was so everyone will pay more to get better stats to competitive in game.

But what actually happened was people with lesser skills and do not want to PvP just left the game make population smaller and affected the sale in long term because without them crafters can't sell pots/scrolls/food and if crafters can't sell they can't buy stuff from people who brought stuff from BCM with kinah either everything went downhill to this point.

Nalariel did you start playing during 3.X? I feel like if you played 1.X-2.X either you were on a winning faction that had 0 opposition or you started in 3.X. PvP was forced down the players throats long before the game even had payment options because it lacked end game PvE content. PvP was the driving force behind Aion and if you did not enjoy Aion you quit before 3.X even came out because late 2.X lingered for what felt like forever.

3 minutes ago, Nalariel-KT said:

I did not actually but I did played 3.x in a server we can not say o_o

Anyway I'm learning to do miragent quests since all guides removed, Is there anyway to get tears of luck without doing gathering ?

Yea it makes sense why you would think 4.X pushed players in to PvP due to 3.X being the most western friendly patch in Aion's history.

Nah you have to gather them. 

What I don't like about 3.x is it's just massive dailies which bored me :/

Running all over sarpan and tiamaruntra isn't fun at all I was expecting sarpan would be something more than no pvp , you know like trading with asmo with only asmo items that can't get on elyos side. I never saw sarpan/tia/kat/dan in retail before because when I started playing they already kaboom.

I assuming ganking will be really bad in 1.2 korea because in 3.x server I played elten pvp is really bad for elyos.
Anyway I believed any problems can be solved as long as you willing to do it and considering all options but as I said before I don't think NCwest try anything I posted several days ago that if they wanna proved their honestly they can just put all skins(at least more) into BCM if a simple task like this can't be done then what I can expected NCwest will do anything to make us happy ?

Its kind of obvious the people who never played classic Aion. The first 3 years of the game before free to play is classic. I can assure you nothing about 4.x, or 3.x even, is Classic. It is just a point where the game wasn't so grindy and easier on players, but that is like asking WoW to make WoW classic and base it off the WOTLK. Sure people like that expac but it is not classic. That is why there are private servers if you want to play that one specific patch.

Even if you decide to say just move the classic patches along from 1.2 -> desired 4.x I guess you are saying, are they supposed to just stop then at 4.x? Why, if you wanted to push progression why not further? Seems to be trying to decide what is "classic" to you and not the game. Then if they do is that really classic or just a reboot of the game. 1x-2.x is perfect for classic that's 3 years of content anything after is stepping for us into f2p territory and asking to get cash shop full of things we hate and that will ruin classic. But we have to wait and see what Korea does because for us it will obviously be a decent bit of time out

Well no patch is perfect for me, every patch has something I like and I don't like.

But 6.0 took to next level I just despise it.
And ignorance of NCwest staff helped to burial it.

Anyway I don't care about farming gears or anything anymore I just playing whatever as long as I having fun.
If I don't have it I just stop that's all. Today I'm playing elyos next day I will play my asmo depend on my mood :P

For sure I do love Aion before 6.0

8 hours ago, HealingSquid-KT said:

All that content is great and meaningful for reasons other than nostalgia if there are no such things as events/luna and other progression paths that invalidate everything you just said.

All that is great to have in an mmorpgs. This game used to be a lot more things than runnign 500 times PF and another 500 times AoA. The events are an issue of our publisher making everything impossible to get and then hand them for free during an event. And of course as long as luna is the only source for kinah people will keep doing that.

16 hours ago, Iostcrazyman-KT said:

Even if you decide to say just move the classic patches along from 1.2 -> desired 4.x I guess you are saying, are they supposed to just stop then at 4.x? Why, if you wanted to push progression why not further? Seems to be trying to decide what is "classic" to you and not the game. Then if they do is that really classic or just a reboot of the game. 1x-2.x is perfect for classic that's 3 years of content anything after is stepping for us into f2p territory and asking to get cash shop full of things we hate and that will ruin classic. But we have to wait and see what Korea does because for us it will obviously be a decent bit of time out

They are adding a cash shop no? 1.X has skins/candies and w/e the last thing was this means they are already preparing for that f2p territory style.

unknown.png

That is on release what they are having not including the 2.X update they plan and all the other updates along the way. They plan to milk the playerbase's nostalgia. Compare this to WoW which has now its highest ever sub count that they attribute to releasing WoW classic, NCsoft is a joke in comparison.

If you remember right 1.x-2.x did not have candy or pets like this it was not until 3.x, f2p, when they added the C.U.B.E. and all the other things in the cash shop. Sure there wasn't all the really bad things until a bit later but it started on 3.x. I get they have to have something but they are also adding extras to daeva pass things that a purchasable and this will add up and if revenue looks bad it could mean more and more charges to come for future. The speed at which you got AP, XP, and the drops you wanted were slow they are boosting it but its still going to be slow progression which I am fine with but the daeva pass which will be for all kind of like the "Atreian Atlas" we had long ago but people who charge will get more rewards than people who don't this is bad. I said we would have to see anyway I have already registered and I will be creating my character in 12hrs after servers come up after the maintenance.

WoW had a boom when Classic came out which is natural but the population for the Classic has dropped a bit there are still a decent amount of players who play it but its no where near the amount on release. With WoW looking to add Burning Crusade to the next phase for Classic that is going to push away so many people because I don't know if you play or played WoW Burning Crusade was awful and unmemorable and if they keep pushing forwards in the patches how is that classic anymore. Also a bunch of big streamers and content creators are not happy at all Classic is wanting to add Burning Crusade and if these people stop making content on Classic the population will drop as well.

Classic is never going to be just huge no matter the game it will never rival the retail it is for milking nostalgia but there is a good and bad way to go about it. People are willing to pay you see people say it all the time. But there is a limit you can charge:

In AIon for example some of the charges they have are kind of needed. People who played 1.x-2.x know this. A casual player could go legitimately longer than a month before even reaching cap but I remember people hitting 33-40 and quitting because it was too much for them. Also getting geared and everything before the level raise (2.x) in PvE and PvP I can see it taking quite a long time for people who have never played Classic as well. The Pass and inc rates are good but when you start selling for increased rewards this can start to get a little rough. Is it tradeable/brokerable or account bound? How much more rewards do you get for it? If its a thing that you must to have or you'll always be behind this is bad obviously. Candy and Real Pets were not in the game during this time. Candy giving more stats is huge in classic and pets that could buff you was also game changing in PvP. If these are things you can only get with money this is bad because there is no way to get them in the game in these patches.

It's all something we will have to wait and see I hope the shop is available after maintenance when we can create our characters so I can see all the things that are available to buy and I can post in the forums.

Well I believed incoming classic in KR will monetized on skin gambling.
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_box

You can't buy any skins(Not just armors maybe hairs,emotions,skill skins too) directly from BCM but everyone will opening loot boxes and the most desirable skins will have a chance like ultimate transform in modern Aion now and sure it's untradable too.
I believed most stuff untradable in 6.0 is nothing to do with battle with bots but just make loot boxes in Aion legal cause you can't trade something you RNG with real your money with someone else.

Loot boxes won't die as no one seriously to deal with it,it making mega money until a big organization like European Union banned it(which most likely all game companies in the world will go against it).Even Nintento is doing loot box too.

If this happens I'm sure everyone will stay on a server we can not say o_o

Archived