PING Issues after Server Maint

Rag-DN

I live in Japan.

Started playing this game around 11 years ago with few breaks.

People ask : why don't you play Japan's Aion? Well almost no players there, and everything is in Kanjis.

why don't you play Korea's Aion? Uh, I need a KR phone number to confirm account and a VPN with high risk to be banned...and dunno Hangul.

why u play aion? Uh, dunno. PvP is fun:D

My ping was around 140-150 with ExitLag and after server changed is 400+++ with ExitLag.

@Kibbelz don't abbandon me :| Tell your team to improve this please???

Or give me Ultimate Marchutan :D will help my cast since I'll be freezing all the time

Well Dream is still for free:P (while not in BCM)

I'm from Tasmania, Australia (yes, the home of the Tazzy Devil) and my ping with Exitlag, prior to the change was a stable 195-210ms. (Without a ping reducer the game is literally unplayable due to wild spikes).

Now, still with Exitlag, my lowest ping was 234ms but sits mostly around 250-260ms in low populated areas and sits close to 300 in heavily populated areas.

I mostly enjoy pvp and considering my high ping and no ulti xform i think i've competed relatively well. But in truth, with the only exception of the 5.xx patches, I've never felt so discouraged to play...

It's a shame because I know many SEA players would be dealing with the same issue.

I'm afraid that after 11 years of Aion this could be the final nail in the coffin for me. But I'll stick around til my Exitlag sub expires in the hope of change?

3 hours ago, OwL-KT said:

I live in Japan.

People ask : why don't you play Japan's Aion? Well almost no players there, and everything is in Kanjis.

why don't you play Korea's Aion? Uh, I need a KR phone number to confirm account and a VPN with high risk to be banned...and dunno Hangul.

My ping was around 140-150 with ExitLag and after server changed is 400+++ with ExitLag.

Or give me Ultimate Marchutan :D will help my cast since I'll be freezing all the time

Hey OwL, did you try without ping reducer, just to test ? Apparently, some ppl now have higher ping using it. 

8 hours ago, OwL-KT said:

I live in Japan.

Yeah I am just a bit further than you in yeongdo in Korea and my ping is the exact same as before. I am unsure if people have adjusted their ping reducer for the change. I have not tried running it without the reducer but I was 160-180 before and I am currently still at that same range.

Basically, this server move fvcked the people playing on the west coast in USA. Having a server all the way on the east coast instead of in the middle of the country? Really bad idea.

I live in the general "middle" area of the USA (about 7 hours north of where the servers used to be). My ping used to be 25-30 on average. Now it is 60-100. That's a much bigger gap range, and I think that's with what a lot of people are taking issue. A steady 100 ping is better than a range of 60-100. It's too unpredictable, and makes gameplay feel jumpy/laggy.

Additional data after trying two different ping reducers yesterday:

Again, without ping reducer is 60-100.

ExitLag using NY route: 60-70

BattlePing using D.C. route: 60-80

BattlePing using Atlanta route: 80-110

So not much point in paying for a ping reducer since it's about the same ms, but just stabilized better. For me, it's playable, but again, for west coast players, it's unplayable now. (And that's not even counting people outside of the USA who, to be honest, I don't even know how they deal with their wild 250+ ping.)

Just wanted to add today that several people were saying after they logged in that they were seeing "Server is down" message. 

Also when I went to launch aion today using the new Launcher it kept saying it could not connect to the authentication server and would close. Took like 10+ times before it finally worked. 

3 minutes ago, Rag-DN said:

Just wanted to add today that several people were saying after they logged in that they were seeing "Server is down" message. 

Also when I went to launch aion today using the new Launcher it kept saying it could not connect to the authentication server and would close. Took like 10+ times before it finally worked. 

I play on DN and from the midwest. I also had this issue. Still can't get in game, launcher sometimes gets to the login screen, but usually freezes before then. Get to the login, type in login, then it says can't connect and closes. Re-installed launcher, still same issue. The few friends I know that play still from around here all say their ping has gone to crap though, very unstable.

On 11/11/2020 at 4:13 PM, Arhangelos-KT said:

Strangely my ping went from 250 to 130 now, and I do not use any reducers at the moment. I live in Europe.

What countries do you guys play from?

This ladies and gentleman. The conspiracy theory is growing. Aion Classic is coming for both North Americans and Europeans to join in the West.

12 minutes ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

This ladies and gentleman. The conspiracy theory is growing. Aion Classic is coming for both North Americans and Europeans to join in the West.

Lol no, every European got better ping because of this change. I didn't expect the change to be that huge to be honest. It is strange that people from USA get ping close to 100 which is what some Europeans get now.

When I played in EU and the servers are in the UK while I play from Greece my ping was 15~20 max.

4 minutes ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

Lol no, every European got better ping because of this change. I didn't expect the change to be that huge to be honest. It is strange that people from USA get ping close to 100.

When I played in EU and the servers are in the UK while I play from Greece my ping was 15~20 max.

No you didn't get my point lol. I meant to say that the the reason why the servers were changed to the east coast was to prepare for the Aion Classic, that will potentially host EU players as well. That isn't facts btw, but just a conspiracy theory really. So far all I've heard is that EU players are having a much better ping than they did when the servers were based in Texas.

46 minutes ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

No you didn't get my point lol. I meant to say that the the reason why the servers were changed to the east coast was to prepare for the Aion Classic, that will potentially host EU players as well. That isn't facts btw, but just a conspiracy theory really. So far all I've heard is that EU players are having a much better ping than they did when the servers were based in Texas.

I would never play Aion classic myself tho. The only reason why Aion dies is because of class imbalance and mostly the lack of fun. Aion Classic lacks a ton of fun as well because it lacks many future fun patches.

Going to update this thread although I have a feeling NCSOFT won't care, the latency issues will never be fixed. Some people will get ping spikes while others do not.

During siege, this is someone else's ping from East Coast. He usually gets 30-50ms in Gelk and in siege he was spiking with the game freezing. (no ping reducer).

unknown.png

Other people I know in East Coast and other areas seem to be fine during siege and had stable ping without any issues.

As for me, I feel nothing nothing has changed for siege. Although my ping in Gelk (non-siege times) is in the 25-34's, I still have spiking issues. I didn't screenshot during siege, but it went from stable 30's to 120's and I was rubberbanding a few times and my skill chains would have a delay when going off. This is the same situation for me before with the server in Texas. I had more ping back then with 80-97ms, and I rubberbanded a couple of times. My ping was never stable. 

I was told to use a ping reducer to stabilize my ping, but I don't just understand why a few months ago, I was perfectly fine with stable ping (and no ping reducer) and not much spikes. 

Although, I can't complain, it's nice having lower ping, but frustrating to see rubberbanding still.

Figured I'd share this from NCsupport;

If you are having latency (Lag/Ping) issues since the Maintenance please submit a support ticket (https://support.aiononline.com/hc/en-us) and provide the following information:

Hello there!

To help us understand the cause of this issue better, please send us the following information about your client and network setup:

• What realm/server are you experiencing this issue on?
• Do you use DSL, cable, dial-up, satellite, or another connection method?
• Do you use any routers, hubs, or switches? If so, could you tell us the make and model of that equipment?
• Does your computer connect wirelessly, or does it use an Ethernet cable for connectivity (quick tip: If you're connecting wirelessly, please try a wired connection)?
• Who is your Internet service provider?
• Where are you located? Your city and state/province would be helpful.
• Are you on a home, campus, business, or military network?
• Do you use any Internet Security Applications (ISA) or firewalls such as CYBERsitter, ""Net-Nanny,"" ZoneAlarm, McAfee or Norton?

Additionally, I would like to request a WinMTR report that can be generated through a program called WinMTR. This not only helps us determine the health of your Internet connection while installing, patching or downloading Blade and Soul, but it also helps us determine if the issue is coming from your network, a data center in-between or from the Blade and Soul servers themselves.

Download link: https://winmtr.en.uptodown.com/windows
(Click the "Latest Version" button. Then you can now click the "Download" button)

You can find additional information on what WinMTR is and why we use it here:
https://support.ncsoft.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005949466-Use-of-Third-Party-Programs-for-Technical-Support

Once WinMTR is installed, run the program and follow the steps below:

1.In the upper left corner of the window, you will see a "Host" drop-down text box. In that field, type in the following hostname depending on which game you are playing and what server (NA/EU) you're in:

BNS NA
icmp-bns-1.us.ncwest.com

BNS EU
icmp-bns-1.eu.ncwest.com

Aion/L2
icmp.us.ncwest.com

2.Click on the "Start" button and allow the tool to run for at least 100 seconds (even if you are unable to install, patch, or play) to gather data.

NOTE: Please run the WinMTR during the time that you are experiencing this issue. So if you are experiencing lag or being disconnected in game, please run the report during these times if this is your issue.

3.Once you have gathered at least 100 seconds of data, click on the "Stop" button.
4.Click on "Export TEXT" and save the file.
5.Attach the file on your next response and attach the report together with your answers for the questions we have above.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

NCSOFT Support Team

On 11/11/2020 at 8:07 PM, Kibbelz said:

Thanks for spinning up this thread, and please continue sharing feedback on how the change has impacted you. It will all be helpful info in helping guide the team going forward - it's in our best interest ensure there is a positive player experience available.

Note: I'll be reporting to the team next Monday on how the server change has impacted the playerbase overall.

My ping is better after the server change :o
from 180/200 to 120/130 and I have a lot of friends who are also ping better now.

I'm happy with the change ^_^

Another midwest player here, before the change I was steady in the 50s, after the change I bounce from the 80s to the unplayable 10,000+. I changed to a Google DNS server and it helped a little, now I play in the low 100s and it bounces to the 300s. It' annoying and I def won't be able to run any hard mode instances with this unsteady ping. Open world farming, afk lunaz, and face tank the broker. That's all most of us have been doing since the change. I'm sure NCsoft has noticed that in their logs that many players are not running instances now due to this lag. Grats to the east coast players though that are living it up while the rest of us can't play though! 

Archived