Forums

Aion Classic Petition

Unbeatable-KT

8 hours ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

So, the question is

Is anyone from NC listening ? Are they seeing this ? Anyone from NC will say anything OFFICIAL regarding classic comiing to NA ?

Bringing this to NA should be effortless, translation is already done, voice acting probably entire done. I don't see a reason why this would be hard to implement.

They are listening. I got a PM from @Loki saying they are interested to know about our interest but i have not wanted to post it on the forums w/o them giving the OK since it was a PM. The question really should be are those above loki/kibbelz listening and taking what they bring to the table onboard in their decision making.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

161 signatures, 5 days in, not bad! It's weekend time, 2 more days and we'll tally up how much in 1 week.

Korea Classic on the other hand is still going strong even with the release of Cyberpunk 2077.

The only complaint that I have thus far is that it's too over-packed where the restrictions to create characters is not allowing the English community to stay together. Right now, basically 4/5 servers are completely restricted to the creation, and the 5th server is only limited to Elyos creation.

So the way that this might translate to being a problem in NA is if people want to play together, and if servers are restricted to character creation, it will make a lot of people not want to play. One way to resolve this issue is planning for the right amount of servers and also giving people a heads up notice of which servers will be available that way people can pre-plan with their friends on which server to play.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:29 AM, Unbeatable-KT said:

The only complaint that I have thus far is that it's too over-packed where the restrictions to create characters is not allowing the English community to stay together. Right now, basically 4/5 servers are completely restricted to the creation, and the 5th server is only limited to Elyos creation.

...well that is because they are full, the only reasonable next step is to open more servers lol.

I never thought that a classic would be so popular but then again I tried 7.7 enough to know it is the worst patch ever so far.

56 minutes ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

...well that is because they are full, the only reasonable next step is to open more servers lol.

I never thought that a classic would be so popular but then again I tried 7.7 enough to know it is the worst patch ever so far.

Us in 5.x: Wow this is terrible.

Us now: Please let us have 5.8 again. :(

4 minutes ago, Vantheria-DN said:

Us in 5.x: Wow this is terrible.

Us now: Please let us have 5.8 again. :(

A-M-E-N

I can also say this for 7.7 vs the whole 6.x patch, how could they make a patch worse than 6.x is beyond me.

(Future us trying Aion 8.0 --> please bring back 7.7, can you imagine?)

24 minutes ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

A-M-E-N

I can also say this for 7.7 vs the whole 6.x patch, how could they make a patch worse than 6.x is beyond me.

(Future us trying Aion 8.0 --> please bring back 7.7, can you imagine?)

I feel like every patch since 2.0, has in small steps changed the core of the game slowly, mostly for the worse, while only improving on it in some ways. That has happened with 6 major patches in a row now, and it has turned aion into some unrecognizable, shadow of a game it once was.

The reason I think a classic server for aion can be so beneficial (and why it has been successful in every other MMO so far) is because hindsight is always 20/20, and it's really the perfect way to take each patch in steps, and rebuild the game into the best version of itself.

I'll never play the current build of aion with it's disgusting gear scaling and atrocious cash shop. Aion always had the "gear advantage", but it was never THIS insane. People were rocking 50e from 1.5 all the way to 3.0 and still able to be competitive. Imagine using gear from 2 major patches ago in Aion's current build.

Just the little things like leagues, command chat, etc.. imagine how different the game would have been in 1.0-3.0 with all the quality of life changes that have came since the beginning.

I'm really hoping for this to come to NA. I'm so excited for a reason to play aion again, because I really do miss it, but I cant support the current build. It's insanely cringe, the classes have all become so brainlessly button-smashy that it actually hurts to watch.

Pleaseeeeee give Classicccc!

39 minutes ago, Vinley-KT said:

I'll never play the current build of aion with it's disgusting gear scaling and atrocious cash shop. Aion always had the "gear advantage", but it was never THIS insane. People were rocking 50e from 1.5 all the way to 3.0 and still able to be competitive. Imagine using gear from 2 major patches ago in Aion's current build.

Yeah I forgot about this. I rocked 40e from 1.5 to 3.0 and never really felt under geared. Some people may want to progress gear more often but I'm fine with not. There was enough PvP then at the twink and end game level to keep me happy.

Also, my 40e was able to be passed in the account warehouse... that was such a nice thing to be able to do! I wish they allow stuff like this today.

6 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

Yeah the servers are beyond packed. Livo hasn't done one of his scans recently to tell us what the population is like, but I honestly predict that there is about 80k players now. It's insane because it started with 30k players, and now it's almost tripled.

This is a screenshot of a Elyos Zikel queue, which is ONLY the 3rd most popular server on Korean Aion Classic.

https://imgur.com/a/x5R8rSU

Imagine that because Israphel which is the most popular out of the 5 is experiencing 8-9k players queues.

4 hours ago, Vinley-KT said:

I feel like every patch since 2.0, has in small steps changed the core of the game slowly, mostly for the worse, while only improving on it in some ways. That has happened with 6 major patches in a row now, and it has turned aion into some unrecognizable, shadow of a game it once was.

The reason I think a classic server for aion can be so beneficial (and why it has been successful in every other MMO so far) is because hindsight is always 20/20, and it's really the perfect way to take each patch in steps, and rebuild the game into the best version of itself.

Just the little things like leagues, command chat, etc.. imagine how different the game would have been in 1.0-3.0 with all the quality of life changes that have came since the beginning.

I'm really hoping for this to come to NA. I'm so excited for a reason to play aion again, because I really do miss it, but I cant support the current build. It's insanely cringe, the classes have all become so brainlessly button-smashy that it actually hurts to watch.

Pleaseeeeee give Classicccc!

I like what you said.

Here is the reason why Aion Classic is so successful in Korea and will be successful in the West (not as much as in Korea, but definitely much more than the current retail is).

Whoever has played this game for 11 years can attest to the fact that the game has gone downhill ever since it's release. We didn't know it back then, but we know that now. Back then, we were always excited whenever new patches or new expansions would come out, and this thrill for a new experience has blinded us that the game was going in the wrong direction and slowly deteriorating.

Let's be honest. We're human beings. We LOVE to nyerk and whine all the time. If you recall playing 1.5 we had a 100 things that people used to complain about. But now that 11 years passed and you see what the game has turned into, you look back and you begin to think "honestly, that wasn't even a problem... if anything that made the game more interesting". Whole point is a lot of us are stuck at the moment with the thought that we actually had it pretty good back then in comparison to how the game is now, and thus why we want that feeling back.

On top of that, it's needless to say that the game was perfect back then. While some things we look back on and say "ok that wasn't a problem", some things were certainly a problem. The lovely part about that is that the things that were a problem back then, and we still look at it as a problem now as we look back in those days... we fixed it. NCSoft implemented many changes so that the gameplay is better. One example is putting in Remove Shock to cause more balanced game.

Not only do we get to relive the good old classic days, but we also get to play a better version of it, of one that was refined to take away a lot of the problems that were really problems back in the day.

This is why Aion Classic is so successful in Korea and will be successful in the West.

3 hours ago, Flatten-KT said:

Yeah I forgot about this. I rocked 40e from 1.5 to 3.0 and never really felt under geared. Some people may want to progress gear more often but I'm fine with not. There was enough PvP then at the twink and end game level to keep me happy.

Also, my 40e was able to be passed in the account warehouse... that was such a nice thing to be able to do! I wish they allow stuff like this today.

People back then in 2.x used to still rock 30e sets and were still dominating. Not going to lie, it's a grind for any gear in the classic days, but at least it's a rewarding feeling, and even then, if someone is more causal, they can just aim for the 30e  gear and s till be a factor in pvp.

The disparity between people in Aion Classic is much less than it is in the current retail.

6 hours ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

People back then in 2.x used to still rock 30e sets and were still dominating. Not going to lie, it's a grind for any gear in the classic days, but at least it's a rewarding feeling, and even then, if someone is more causal, they can just aim for the 30e  gear and s till be a factor in pvp.

The disparity between people in Aion Classic is much less than it is in the current retail.

The key is getting to that gear.

The disparity between paying player and subscription only player in KR is massive but it is only massive for a period of time. That gap will close the longer the servers are out and it will close even faster when fortress instances come out. This gap may not even be an issue in the west if we get fortress instances from day 1.

However the main crucial difference between classic and retail is that 2 under geared players can beat 1 geared player so long as it is not a temp with AA off CD or a Spirit master with spirit sub. 

Compare this to retail where 20 freshies would probably lose to 2-3 top geared players...That is what makes it feel like less disparity because players matter over gear rather than gear over players.

I'm still trying to figure where where this Aion population is going to come from to support this server. We keep hearing this great population in Korea but I think we forget to acknowledge the West does not have the same interest in Aion and its not even close. People blame current retail for that but when private servers show up they don't even get up to current retail numbers which is why they die super fast. I'm not sure why we think Aion classic would be any different. 

I do think there is players who are lurking for a Aion classic server but is that enough to support this server idk about all that. Saying there will be more players in Aion classic than Retail is not saying much either. Its a carcass at this point so it wont take much to beat it lol. 

7 hours ago, GenericUser28369 said:

I'm still trying to figure where where this Aion population is going to come from to support this server. We keep hearing this great population in Korea but I think we forget to acknowledge the West does not have the same interest in Aion and its not even close. People blame current retail for that but when private servers show up they don't even get up to current retail numbers which is why they die super fast. I'm not sure why we think Aion classic would be any different. 

I do think there is players who are lurking for a Aion classic server but is that enough to support this server idk about all that. Saying there will be more players in Aion classic than Retail is not saying much either. Its a carcass at this point so it wont take much to beat it lol. 

7 hours ago, GenericUser28369 said:

I'm for a Aion classic Server but also cautious on what numbers it would actually pull to keep it going. I used to think there was a good size following but I'm not so sure anymore. 

If you take a look at the petition, there is already 276 that signed it. That's only 1 week that the petition has been up.

Imagine 276 people in 1 week. That's already the amount of people that play on KT at the moment (the popular of the 2 servers). And yes, I did log in on Sunday and between the 2 sides at 3 pm there were literally 260 people on both Elyos and Asmo together. Sunday. A weekend.

Now keep in mind if the Aion Classic was ever to come to NA, it will definitely be no where close to the Korean numbers, but I don't know about you... but for me, even 1 full server with 5,000 people is plenty enough to last me for quite a fun time for the 1-2 potential years of the server lasting until 2.7.

Now before you say 276 is no where close to 5000 people. Yes I know, but keep these things in mind:

1) The petition link itself looks like one of those fishy links that I personally wouldn't even click on if someone gave it to me.

2) I'm not even spreading the news myself in regards to linking people on different platforms to sign the petition. I have a full time job, so I got better things to do. Although I do see some people took the liberty of posting a few reddit topics.

3) The people that want to sign it, some for some reason are compelled not to sign it because they think A) fishy looking link, B) personal information... looks like a trap... I'm not signing it. You can just read the reddit posts in terms of people being skeptical to sign it. Little do those people know you can just put in First and Last Name to be something like Unbeatable Aion.

4) This petition link is primarily advertised on this forum. I quit Aion retail in May, and ever since then haven't looked at the forums once... until the Korean Classic. And I like to consider myself one of the Aion fanatics. So hopefully you do realize a lot of people that have quit retail, whether this year, or 10 years ago from the time they played this game in it's early stages.... people don't come to these forums. I think you would underestimate that if NA releases it's Classic and advertises 3-4 weeks ahead of it's release like Korea did... I think you would just have to wait and see the influx of players at that would storm in, and not until then. So no, most people don't even view these forums and thus won't even know there is a petition going around to promote the idea of releasing Aion Classic in NA.

With that said, all these points negatively influence the idea of a petition representing true numbers, so the way that I see it, taking all these points in perspective,... 276 signatures in 1 week, which is already more than the population of KT, that is predicting quite a strong outcome for the Aion Classic in NA.

Mark my words now, we will see at least 5,000 to 10,000 people on release of Aion Classic in NA.

31 minutes ago, Unbeatable-KT said:

Now keep in mind if the Aion Classic was ever to come to NA, it will definitely be no where close to the Korean numbers, but I don't know about you... but for me, even 1 full server with 5,000 people is plenty enough to last me for quite a fun time for the 1-2 potential years of the server lasting until 2.7.

What will happen once it reaches that point? Will they close it or keep it at 2.7 permanently? Because if they shut it down it will make no sense to even start playing there.

4 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

What will happen once it reaches that point? Will they close it or keep it at 2.7 permanently? Because if they shut it down it will make no sense to even start playing there.

Why play any game then? Every game will eventually close at some point. That is the reality of gaming you will one day fall out of favor with the masses. People right now think WoW will last 500 years and it mite but chances are next gen gamers are going to not bother with WoW because they will be playing VR MMORPG's since there are many of them in creation as we speak. 

This is a unique opinion to MMORPG players. You never see people who played formula 1 racing 2011-13 wishing 2011-13 was still online. They just accept that they had to buy the new game. 

At some point it will become unprofitable and they will have to choose between 2 paths, Release a 3.0 conversion or shut the servers down. One of the unique features is that once you have your gear you can legitimately just go f2p and just PvP. This means if you want 30E till 2.0 releases you can get 30E +15 it then not bother upgrading paying till 2.0 comes out. Due to this feature i genuinely believe they plan on closing it down some time after it becomes unprofitable once it hits 2.7.

Edit: By the time they go to shut it down chances are Aion 2 or 8.0 should be out and more than likely they plan to cannibalize classic players back in to either 8.0 or Aion 2.

7 hours ago, HealingSquid-KT said:

Why play any game then? Every game will eventually close at some point. That is the reality of gaming you will one day fall out of favor with the masses. People right now think WoW will last 500 years and it mite but chances are next gen gamers are going to not bother with WoW because they will be playing VR MMORPG's since there are many of them in creation as we speak. 

This is a unique opinion to MMORPG players. You never see people who played formula 1 racing 2011-13 wishing 2011-13 was still online. They just accept that they had to buy the new game. 

At some point it will become unprofitable and they will have to choose between 2 paths, Release a 3.0 conversion or shut the servers down. One of the unique features is that once you have your gear you can legitimately just go f2p and just PvP. This means if you want 30E till 2.0 releases you can get 30E +15 it then not bother upgrading paying till 2.0 comes out. Due to this feature i genuinely believe they plan on closing it down some time after it becomes unprofitable once it hits 2.7.

Edit: By the time they go to shut it down chances are Aion 2 or 8.0 should be out and more than likely they plan to cannibalize classic players back in to either 8.0 or Aion 2.

Why not keep expanding it, why would they need to close WoW if it is so successful and why not keep changing it and adding things to keep it successful?

Games that do not last long enough is because of lack of interest from the gaming community.

What is the point of playing Aion 2.7, have 50.000 players in the servers and the publishers say "yep that's it, we are closing it now, thanks for coming".

If Aion retail dies it will be because we left it and it is no longer profitable for the developers/publishers, not because they shut it close in front of our faces. Obviously the last 20 players that will still be logging out of vanity vanity in aion retail will feel they got shut down, but the rest thousands of people that already left are those that actually closed the game themselves.

12 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

Why not keep expanding it, why would they need to close WoW if it is so successful and why not keep changing it and adding things to keep it successful?

Games that do not last long enough is because of lack of interest from the gaming community.

What is the point of playing Aion 2.7, have 50.000 players in the servers and the publishers say "yep that's it, we are closing it now, thanks for coming".

If Aion retail dies it will be because we left it and it is no longer profitable for the developers/publishers, not because they shut it close in front of our faces. Obviously the last 20 players that will still be logging out of vanity vanity in aion retail will feel they got shut down, but the rest thousands of people that already left are those that actually closed the game themselves.

You are looking so far ahead that even the company who made it have no idea's yet. For all we know they could be preparing the ability to transfer your characters from 2.7 to a 3.0 conversion or they could be going yep well now it is 2.7 once you the players can no longer upkeep the $'s needed to keep classic open we will shut it down. Hell if it becomes so successful they may even just keep re-releasing the game and then fix the problems with omega stones and so on but this is very unrealistic.

However we know at the very least we are currently 2 months in to classic that means even if the first expansion comes out at the end of this month we will have an update every 2-3 months roughly. What this translates in to is you are looking towards 1.5-2 years away from now before 2.7 even comes out. 

Retail Aion dies because developers make poor decisions that players no longer want to support. Aion did keep changing things to the point where no one even calls it a game anymore. This will eventually happen to WoW as well. A game can only make so many changes before its community turns on them and we already know what a community looks like and acts like when the game they enjoy turns in to garbage. 

Apologize, not going to individually quote everyone, but, I read a lot of the comments and will just generically touch on a few important things...

For one, Aion was popular in NA on release. We had an insane amount of servers, and for those of us that played since beta, i'm sure you can remember switching channels constantly to do quests in areas. That's not to say "eVeRy AiOn PlAyEr EvEr WiLl CoMe BaCk" but, you have to keep in mind how competitive the MMO market was back then, compared to now. I remember when I first started Aion I was still playing FFXI and had played the FFXIV 1.0 Beta around that time as well. I remember people leaving for Rift, GW2, ArcheAge, etc...

My point is, currently, the MMO market is extremely thin; with many of them clinging on for dear life while the heavy hitters like WoW, XIV and BDO maintain what's left of the dwindling MMO communities. The rise of Classic WoW and even Lineage show that there's a huge amount of people out there that want those old school MMOs, that had real communities not relegated to instanced content, real grind and progression, and something to invest in. Hell, it's also the perfect time since a lot of the world has way more free time for MMO's than it ever has; combined with the fact a lot of companies have transitioned to WFH and other mobile supplements, a lot of working adults have way more time to invest than we did 10 years ago, but there's not many MMO's out there to enjoy right now, compared to the "boom" of that era.

I've never played private servers up until last year, I hated them. I played one, Aion epic, simply because friends power leveled a character for me so I didn't have to really waste time on a server that might fail, I could simply just enjoy the end game and experience Aion again. I had a lot of fun, and the community was about the size of the current NA retail servers, 200~300. Private servers very seldom get larger than that in NA, mostly because of the "private server curse". People don't want to invest time into such a time consuming game when literally the guy can shut it down the second he decides it's not worth his time. So, for those comparing that to potential Classic servers, i'd just say look at retail games like WoW and Lineage as examples of Classics success, that's a much fairer comparison. The fact 300 people found some random private server that didn't advertise at all and made a community larger than current retail should shock you; there's literally thousands of NA players right now playing buggy private servers instead of properly maintained retail. None of them are huge, but there's a good amount, and the majority of those players want a retail experience, just in a better era.

As far as longevity, NC already said they plan to make these progression servers, and have planned and patched up to 2.7 (that doesn't mean it will stop there necessarily), and will supplement that with weekly and monthly events for additional content.

Aion died early in NA because of a few reasons. We were receiving patches up to 6 months or longer compared to Korea. We weren't receiving supplemental patches, either, only major ones. So we were waiting much longer for balancing fixes and major changes that helped the game early on in its life. NCW also never fixed the website after 1.9, and while Korea enjoyed community hubs on their website, with gear calculators, profiles with community chatter and comment systems, Korea was able to capitalize on the social draws of the era that kept people involved in the game, while NA was relegated, and still is, to forums that are basically a relic of the past in terms of social hubs in gaming.

Then there was the epic, colossal failure of 1.9, and the chosen servers to be merged by NCW, all the while ALSO moving the PHYSICAL servers at the same time of an enormous merge, ensuring even more technological problems, lag and issues that arise from that... They could not have botched 1.9 more if they tried. I'm not exaggerating when I say I watched legions of people say they were quitting, log off and never log back on after 1.9; it was extremely sad.

There were also core design problems that negatively impacted server balance and health. Some of those problems still to this day exist, but many of them have been fixed. Exclusive gear from things like Bollvig being locked to elyos. Fort instances getting locked to the winning faction ensuring a never ending supply of imbalance.  Dredgion commanders being tanked by 1 person, Dredgions simply bugging and never dropping commanders (Divine). Hellfire, or any artifact never flipping to balaur meant one spy from the opposite faction was taking the strongest artifact in the game, ensuring the attacking faction could never utilize it for a siege. I could go on forever...

I really think an Aion classic can work. The current trend of gaming, with twitch and community word of mouth being way more of a driving factor this day and age than advertisements, can really help to blow up even the smallest games. It wouldn't take much to populate a rebirthed version of Aion if you could attract just a handful of some of the top streamers. We've seen games like Escape from Tarkov, Fall Guys, and other small indie games completely blow up overnight just because of streaming.

Current Aion is not playable for new players, and it's only a matter of time before the servers are much deader than they are. I think if you care about Aion at all, the only viable option is embracing a classic and hoping that rebirth happens, because I can promise you it wont for the current build.

1 hour ago, Vinley-KT said:

I really think an Aion classic can work. The current trend of gaming, with twitch and community word of mouth being way more of a driving factor this day and age than advertisements, can really help to blow up even the smallest games. It wouldn't take much to populate a rebirthed version of Aion if you could attract just a handful of some of the top streamers. We've seen games like Escape from Tarkov, Fall Guys, and other small indie games completely blow up overnight just because of streaming.

You have to take in to account that these games are not just being played by the big shots of twitch. The big shots that carry these games to success are being paid to play X amount of hours or go in to contracts to play every Wednesday at 9pm depending on the contract they make with the developer. NCwest not only will not pay them but will also not offer the protection from cheaters that these other games do with active banning of cheaters or even bots. 

Out of all the streamers i have seen that play games who have 3k+ viewers i can not see anyone playing Aion even for $'s. There is one youtuber(lazypeon) who has shown interest in playing an older version of Aion but my knowledge of youtubers is limited. Small time streamers have the opposite issue where playing a new game that is not their main game often means the death of their channel so anyone under 700 viewership can not switch game yet as it risks killing their channel. 

OMG i am gonna stop here because i am not against classic in-fact i want classic so i do not have to buy 3 re-verifications in KR every week.

I want to say I am totally not against Classic as well I have quit playing it my sub ran out and I am no longer really interested in playing more but I can say my experience was enjoyable. All I would like to see is that the West really plans this out before it would be implemented here. I can say you are probably correct in the statment that it would be larger than Retail because retail here is currently in a spot where there is more negativity than anything else. For me this means we really need to push for some decent balance here before we can bring something like Classic because again without the Retail in KR Classic could not keep up the same revenue as the Retail and if all the players stopped playing Retail then you would see in the quarterly earning while they do retain a fairly high playerbase the earnings would not increase which from a company standpoint would look kind of like a failure as they implement a new system to increase the earning from a title and despite the increase of popularity your revenue stays the same.

I will say too not all games that do well in Korea translate here. GW, FF, etc they don't actually do well at all in Korea while actually doing quite well in our region, not amazing, but pretty decent nonetheless. In the, I will say, months before Classic was even announced the Top MMORPG in Korea was Maplestory, Dungeon Fighter (which isn't even a thing here to my belief), Lost Ark, WoW, Lineage, BDO, Aion, BnS, Monster Hunter World (debatable), and 10th can't even really call it because its so far away from the rest. Currently in Top 10 Games regardless of type Aion is 6, Maplestory 7, WoW 9, Lineage 2 10. Lost Ark fell off Dungeon Fighter fell off when they were consistent top 10 games for lost ark the year now and Dungeon Fighter for years has been top 10. Lineage has been by far the most profitable NC title but here in the West not a soul talks about it.

I do think Aion Classic would be great here in NA but only if the right prep is done to make it so. I would like to see our Retail get the TLC it truly needs as far as all the QOL changes maybe more consistent updates as korea has every few weeks or a month instead of giving us clumped Patches with tons of bugs that in korea get fixed each week but for us run for months on end with no change til next major update but getting replaced with new bugs.

I think having Classic would do well to boost the earning for NA and if players similar to myself enjoy Classic for a while and no longer wish to pay the sub they can easily come to Retail where it is f2p and if the clean up is done well with our own region specific improvements can continue to enjoy their Aion experience. I don't like how people get to the mindset of yes I want Classic and burn that nyerking dumpster fire Retail to the ground because it is totally delusional to think that a Classic server alone could sustain the region by itself.

I will accept this is totally my opinion and not all will agree with it but I don't see no matter how many people sign your petition we get the same number as Korea for Classic and if we don't I don't know how you think it will generate the Income needed to make NC or NCwest wish to put in more resources to our region. IF retail dies then the lackluster quality Retail game we currently have will be the same as in Classic. Things will not get fixed as needed, things wont get added to the shop people desire, events will be very disappointing and etc. So I think first its better to clean up Retail before we get too overly invested in the dream of Classic 

On 12/16/2020 at 1:36 AM, Arhangelos-KT said:

Just as Squid said, why do you even play games then? There is a saying, all good things come to an end. There is very few things in life that can last until your dying day. If you actually started playing Aion retail with the thought that it will last forever, and that you'll be clicking your buttons away when you're 60... well on one hand that's unrealistic because it will shut down way before that, and on the other hand that's sad.

Let me put it to you in a different perspective. Why do people join private servers knowing they will end in most likely a few months? Because the entertainment for the time being is what matters.

You're asking me what will happen when the game reaches 2.7 as if I'm an NCSoft employee. I bet you not even NCSoft has the answer to that yet. But does that actually matter?

Worst case scenario is that they choose not to upgrade it anymore from the 2.7 version, and well after that it will take months for the population to die down and eventually come to a halt. BUT, in the meantime, for probably the 2-3 years until that day comes, I don't know about you, but I am going to have a bigger blast in the game than I did in the retail in who knows how long.

Live in the moment Arhangelos. If you're looking too far in the future you're only going to disappoint yourself.

17 hours ago, Vinley-KT said:

Apologize, not going to individually quote everyone, but, I read a lot of the comments and will just generically touch on a few important things...

For one, Aion was popular in NA on release. We had an insane amount of servers, and for those of us that played since beta, i'm sure you can remember switching channels constantly to do quests in areas. That's not to say "eVeRy AiOn PlAyEr EvEr WiLl CoMe BaCk" but, you have to keep in mind how competitive the MMO market was back then, compared to now. I remember when I first started Aion I was still playing FFXI and had played the FFXIV 1.0 Beta around that time as well. I remember people leaving for Rift, GW2, ArcheAge, etc...

My point is, currently, the MMO market is extremely thin; with many of them clinging on for dear life while the heavy hitters like WoW, XIV and BDO maintain what's left of the dwindling MMO communities. The rise of Classic WoW and even Lineage show that there's a huge amount of people out there that want those old school MMOs, that had real communities not relegated to instanced content, real grind and progression, and something to invest in. Hell, it's also the perfect time since a lot of the world has way more free time for MMO's than it ever has; combined with the fact a lot of companies have transitioned to WFH and other mobile supplements, a lot of working adults have way more time to invest than we did 10 years ago, but there's not many MMO's out there to enjoy right now, compared to the "boom" of that era.

I've never played private servers up until last year, I hated them. I played one, Aion epic, simply because friends power leveled a character for me so I didn't have to really waste time on a server that might fail, I could simply just enjoy the end game and experience Aion again. I had a lot of fun, and the community was about the size of the current NA retail servers, 200~300. Private servers very seldom get larger than that in NA, mostly because of the "private server curse". People don't want to invest time into such a time consuming game when literally the guy can shut it down the second he decides it's not worth his time. So, for those comparing that to potential Classic servers, i'd just say look at retail games like WoW and Lineage as examples of Classics success, that's a much fairer comparison. The fact 300 people found some random private server that didn't advertise at all and made a community larger than current retail should shock you; there's literally thousands of NA players right now playing buggy private servers instead of properly maintained retail. None of them are huge, but there's a good amount, and the majority of those players want a retail experience, just in a better era.

As far as longevity, NC already said they plan to make these progression servers, and have planned and patched up to 2.7 (that doesn't mean it will stop there necessarily), and will supplement that with weekly and monthly events for additional content.

Aion died early in NA because of a few reasons. We were receiving patches up to 6 months or longer compared to Korea. We weren't receiving supplemental patches, either, only major ones. So we were waiting much longer for balancing fixes and major changes that helped the game early on in its life. NCW also never fixed the website after 1.9, and while Korea enjoyed community hubs on their website, with gear calculators, profiles with community chatter and comment systems, Korea was able to capitalize on the social draws of the era that kept people involved in the game, while NA was relegated, and still is, to forums that are basically a relic of the past in terms of social hubs in gaming.

Then there was the epic, colossal failure of 1.9, and the chosen servers to be merged by NCW, all the while ALSO moving the PHYSICAL servers at the same time of an enormous merge, ensuring even more technological problems, lag and issues that arise from that... They could not have botched 1.9 more if they tried. I'm not exaggerating when I say I watched legions of people say they were quitting, log off and never log back on after 1.9; it was extremely sad.

There were also core design problems that negatively impacted server balance and health. Some of those problems still to this day exist, but many of them have been fixed. Exclusive gear from things like Bollvig being locked to elyos. Fort instances getting locked to the winning faction ensuring a never ending supply of imbalance.  Dredgion commanders being tanked by 1 person, Dredgions simply bugging and never dropping commanders (Divine). Hellfire, or any artifact never flipping to balaur meant one spy from the opposite faction was taking the strongest artifact in the game, ensuring the attacking faction could never utilize it for a siege. I could go on forever...

Current Aion is not playable for new players, and it's only a matter of time before the servers are much deader than they are. I think if you care about Aion at all, the only viable option is embracing a classic and hoping that rebirth happens, because I can promise you it wont for the current build.

I love this post. I wouldn't have said it better myself.

15 hours ago, HealingSquid-KT said:

You have to take in to account that these games are not just being played by the big shots of twitch. The big shots that carry these games to success are being paid to play X amount of hours or go in to contracts to play every Wednesday at 9pm depending on the contract they make with the developer. NCwest not only will not pay them but will also not offer the protection from cheaters that these other games do with active banning of cheaters or even bots. 

Out of all the streamers i have seen that play games who have 3k+ viewers i can not see anyone playing Aion even for $'s. There is one youtuber(lazypeon) who has shown interest in playing an older version of Aion but my knowledge of youtubers is limited. Small time streamers have the opposite issue where playing a new game that is not their main game often means the death of their channel so anyone under 700 viewership can not switch game yet as it risks killing their channel. 

OMG i am gonna stop here because i am not against classic in-fact i want classic so i do not have to buy 3 re-verifications in KR every week.

Squid, you're for an Aion Classic server, not against it. Your posts sound like they're almost against it haha.

14 hours ago, Iostcrazyman-KT said:

I want to say I am totally not against Classic as well I have quit playing it my sub ran out and I am no longer really interested in playing more but I can say my experience was enjoyable. All I would like to see is that the West really plans this out before it would be implemented here. I can say you are probably correct in the statment that it would be larger than Retail because retail here is currently in a spot where there is more negativity than anything else. For me this means we really need to push for some decent balance here before we can bring something like Classic because again without the Retail in KR Classic could not keep up the same revenue as the Retail and if all the players stopped playing Retail then you would see in the quarterly earning while they do retain a fairly high playerbase the earnings would not increase which from a company standpoint would look kind of like a failure as they implement a new system to increase the earning from a title and despite the increase of popularity your revenue stays the same.

I will say too not all games that do well in Korea translate here. GW, FF, etc they don't actually do well at all in Korea while actually doing quite well in our region, not amazing, but pretty decent nonetheless. In the, I will say, months before Classic was even announced the Top MMORPG in Korea was Maplestory, Dungeon Fighter (which isn't even a thing here to my belief), Lost Ark, WoW, Lineage, BDO, Aion, BnS, Monster Hunter World (debatable), and 10th can't even really call it because its so far away from the rest. Currently in Top 10 Games regardless of type Aion is 6, Maplestory 7, WoW 9, Lineage 2 10. Lost Ark fell off Dungeon Fighter fell off when they were consistent top 10 games for lost ark the year now and Dungeon Fighter for years has been top 10. Lineage has been by far the most profitable NC title but here in the West not a soul talks about it.

I do think Aion Classic would be great here in NA but only if the right prep is done to make it so. I would like to see our Retail get the TLC it truly needs as far as all the QOL changes maybe more consistent updates as korea has every few weeks or a month instead of giving us clumped Patches with tons of bugs that in korea get fixed each week but for us run for months on end with no change til next major update but getting replaced with new bugs.

I think having Classic would do well to boost the earning for NA and if players similar to myself enjoy Classic for a while and no longer wish to pay the sub they can easily come to Retail where it is f2p and if the clean up is done well with our own region specific improvements can continue to enjoy their Aion experience. I don't like how people get to the mindset of yes I want Classic and burn that nyerking dumpster fire Retail to the ground because it is totally delusional to think that a Classic server alone could sustain the region by itself.

I will accept this is totally my opinion and not all will agree with it but I don't see no matter how many people sign your petition we get the same number as Korea for Classic and if we don't I don't know how you think it will generate the Income needed to make NC or NCwest wish to put in more resources to our region. IF retail dies then the lackluster quality Retail game we currently have will be the same as in Classic. Things will not get fixed as needed, things wont get added to the shop people desire, events will be very disappointing and etc. So I think first its better to clean up Retail before we get too overly invested in the dream of Classic 

Yeah I think you're pretty much in just your own bubble with your opinion on many of these things.

For one, you suggest NCSoft cleans up their act with their retail server before opening a classic one. There is two reasons why that will never happen. For one, they had more than 10 years to pick up their act ever since release pretty much or more so specifically since 1.9 when most of the population fell through this game, and if they didn't do it in that time period, they definitely won't be doing it now. For two, even if a successful company such as Blizzard was to swoop in instead of NCsoft, there is nothing they could do either as the current retail game is not only a horrid game to play but it also has a dying population.

For two, if you read any of my other posts I have repeatedly said that we won't have anywhere close to the population that Korea has. But who gives a shit? Do you need 80k players to enjoy this game? No. At least I don't. If we had 1 full server with 5-10k players, that's all that's needed to enjoy this game until it reaches 2.7. That's more than plenty of people to play with. And I can guarantee you, that on release we will at least have that many join.

For three, if you think that Aion Classic in NA wouldn't generate that MUCH MORE income than the current 400 players that are supporting the retail, then you're only kidding yourself. I don't think you realize that the retail servers at the moment are mostly packed with BRs who do not swipe their cards at all, and most of the whales have perished. The retail is surviving on a very thin thread. If we're really talking about NCWest's revenue, this is their answer to having an exponential increase to it... an Aion Classic.

What's with the Novella's in this thread? 

And Squid! What are you thinking?? NA doesn't have the population to support a classic server period!!. I too would love to be able to play back in time say somewhere in 4x but we can do that now elsewhere. Here in NA it is just not feasible ppl!! And while I too love to reminiss in reality I'm just thankful for the Aion we do have now.

There. I put this out there this time sincerely with no laughs no jokes which was very hard for me considering how many threads lke this I've read in the last 3 years alone so, I hope I've made some sense. 

Thank you.

Archived