64 bit client

Sgt Sneak

5 hours ago, StealthyBoy-KT said:

I am coming back to the game and when I go to graphics settings I see 32 bit is there a way to make it use the 64 bit client or am I missing something?

Go to the aion folder and you should see a 32bit and 64bit folder, are they both there? If yes, delete the 32bit and run the game again.

9 hours ago, StealthyBoy-KT said:

@Arhangelos-KT I say you responded to a guy with an Nvidia Card having stuttering in game and things and to uninstall the Control Panel...I looked in my add/remove programs and the control panel is not there. Do you mind going more in depth. THe stuttering is very annoying

What are the specs:
GPU=?
RAM=?
CPU=?

if you go to task manager and you see a resource being too high then you got your issue, if you see your CPU/GPU/RAM very low then it is something else. For example in my case running one client on my beast pc is at 1~2%CPU, like 3~4% RAM (I have 64GB, I'll put more because of my work, so it will get even less), and my GPU is also very low depending on where I am, usually less than 5% in full screen in a place with a lot of players. So my stuttering was because of Nvidia Control Panel.

On 3/20/2021 at 5:43 PM, StealthyBoy-KT said:

@Arhangelos-KT I say you responded to a guy with an Nvidia Card having stuttering in game and things and to uninstall the Control Panel...I looked in my add/remove programs and the control panel is not there. Do you mind going more in depth. THe stuttering is very annoying

Check this:

1 minute ago, Vantheria-DN said:

The current Nvidia drivers are incompatible with Aion. The game is basically unplayable with them. Some friends and I had to uninstall our Nvidia drivers and re-install the driver from October 2020. I'm using driver version 456.71 and it's muuuuuuch better. So you might check into that if you have an Nvidia graphics card.

12 hours ago, StealthyBoy-KT said:

@Vantheria-DN I might love you...Thank you so much...the game is actually playable now. I hope this is fixed so I can use current drivers one day lol but for now this is a good band aid. Thank you again ❤️

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that we had to do that. Some of the hard mode instances were absolutely unplayable though due to the excess of boss graphics/tornadoes/adds/etc. I couldn't even rotate my camera at times.

On 3/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, Vantheria-DN said:

The current Nvidia drivers are incompatible with Aion. The game is basically unplayable with them. Some friends and I had to uninstall our Nvidia drivers and re-install the driver from October 2020. I'm using driver version 456.71 and it's muuuuuuch better. So you might check into that if you have an Nvidia graphics card.

hm... weird I have the latest and I can play, maybe because I have a beast GPU so it can take the extra load with no effort. I might downgrade to those ones and see for myself, you never know it might be even better.

6 minutes ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

hm... weird I have the latest and I can play, maybe because I have a beast GPU so it can take the extra load with no effort. I might downgrade to those ones and see for myself, you never know it might be even better.

For you, it's probably not an issue since you don't do hard mode instances. That is where it is felt the most. Altar of Gales is an absolute nightmare, for example, once the tornadoes start spawning. PFHM is kind of bad, but still somewhat playable if you're experienced in the instance. IDDHM is similar to AoG in that there are lots of adds, so too many graphics to process.

4 minutes ago, Vantheria-DN said:

For you, it's probably not an issue since you don't do hard mode instances. That is where it is felt the most. Altar of Gales is an absolute nightmare, for example, once the tornadoes start spawning. PFHM is kind of bad, but still somewhat playable if you're experienced in the instance. IDDHM is similar to AoG in that there are lots of adds, so too many graphics to process.

Yes, the GPU's power is not the issue when the drivers are incompatible. I'll download it now just in case i need it. Aion never needed a relaunch in 6.0, they should have simply upgraded the engine like they did with their other titles.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:53 PM, Arhangelos-KT said:

Yes, the GPU's power is not the issue when the drivers are incompatible. I'll download it now just in case i need it. Aion never needed a relaunch in 6.0, they should have simply upgraded the engine like they did with their other titles.

Totally agree.  Don't think I will be able to continue playing this, though I wish I could.  The frame rates are far too low considering my hardware, and even compared to my much weaker laptop the uplift in performance isn't anywhere near what you'd expect given the increase in hardware power and much higher thermal ceiling.  I'm lucky to maintain 60 FPS in an empty field with just mobs roaming around on Auto Graphics settings.  Any lower and the game starts becoming too ugly to want to look at.

A lot of older games have this issue, as they don't really leverage the GPU very well.  CPUs also started favoring more cores/threads over insane increases in clock speeds (though they are starting to increase the core clocks more aggressively).  So, these games scale badly on newer hardware.  Even though the hardware is far more powerful, the gains in game performance are out of line because the hardware power didn't increase in the ways the game engine developers were assuming they would.

EverQuest II is another game that has this issue, though AION's performance is far worse... while not even looking as good, IMO.

Still, I think the game could be fun to play, but playing with these frame rates and the pretty insane [constant] FPS dips is definitely not fun - or ergonomic... screen tearing is not FTW.

15 hours ago, Trensharo said:

Totally agree.  Don't think I will be able to continue playing this, though I wish I could.  The frame rates are far too low considering my hardware, and even compared to my much weaker laptop the uplift in performance isn't anywhere near what you'd expect given the increase in hardware power and much higher thermal ceiling.  I'm lucky to maintain 60 FPS in an empty field with just mobs roaming around on Auto Graphics settings.  Any lower and the game starts becoming too ugly to want to look at.

A lot of older games have this issue, as they don't really leverage the GPU very well.  CPUs also started favoring more cores/threads over insane increases in clock speeds (though they are starting to increase the core clocks more aggressively).  So, these games scale badly on newer hardware.  Even though the hardware is far more powerful, the gains in game performance are out of line because the hardware power didn't increase in the ways the game engine developers were assuming they would.

EverQuest II is another game that has this issue, though AION's performance is far worse... while not even looking as good, IMO.

Still, I think the game could be fun to play, but playing with these frame rates and the pretty insane [constant] FPS dips is definitely not fun - or ergonomic... screen tearing is not FTW.

Yes the engine needs an upgrade, it is so outdated that newer GPUs with their new drivers are leaving that engine behind.

@Vantheria-DN the 456.71 drivers are not compatible with my GPU lol, they support the 3000 series but not all of them (only 3080 and 3090) so 3060 and 3070 aren't compatible.

I downgraded to another driver myself hoping to fix some other issues like freezing screen right when I get to character screen for the first time, so far it seems to have less problems. I also rarely get the problem with changing maps and getting an issue when I use my ping reducer. Maybe it helped that I went to older drivers. It was a hit and miss for me, I am not sure which one would have been better, I took some from 2020 December or something.

Archived