Jump to content
Forums

Why are Gladiator's popular?


Recommended Posts

Guest Noblesse

I haven't played this game in years, and I'm tentatively considering trying Classic.  I saw somewhere else that Gladiators are among, if not they, most popular class.  I find that sort of strange; from my time playing many years ago I remember that they were far from the preferred class for both PvE.  What do others find appealing about it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NotAion Expert

Gladiator is S tier when it comes to group pvp and RvR. And after 12 years people now know that dual-wield does unrealistic damage compared to polearm in PvE, so gladiator is both S tier in PvE and PvP when it comes to what matters. Solo PvP is kinda yikes, you are a walking cooldown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh, somehow I wondered if they were commonly selected for other reasons, like bots farming or whatever.  I as a pretty active PvP'er back in the day, I'm glad they still hold their own.  Interested to see how they fair in 1.0.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They're also a reasonably self-sufficient character, having more PvE damage than the Templar, more sustain and survivability than Scout classes, etc.  Not that I think many people are basing their decisions off that, but.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Spite

Its the first choice of the first class you can make 

 

A real answer is with the 2.7 client with 1.2 content they are busted

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest pew pew
5 hours ago, Guest NotAion Expert said:

Gladiator was  S  is S tier  with an extendable when it comes to group pvp and RvR. And after 12 years people now know that dual-wield does unrealistic damage compared to polearm in PvE, so gladiator is both S tier in PvE and PvP when it comes to what matters. Solo PvP is kinda yikes, you are a walking cooldown. PVP AP   pinata without a pocket healer.

Fixed that for you. That was not the case in classic,  sorc vs glad-- only a very good geared glad with an extendable in most cases stood a chance. Welcome to classic.

This is not the  current mess - this paper, rock ,  scissors balance at its best.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glads are the easiest class to play, all you do is walk up and punch something then keep hitting the mob until it falls over dead LoL. For me I preferred to use duel swords for speed and also the damage is good as well, because you have two swords. Just my personal opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NotAion Expert
6 hours ago, Guest pew pew said:

Fixed that for you. That was not the case in classic,  sorc vs glad-- only a very good geared glad with an extendable in most cases stood a chance. Welcome to classic.

This is not the  current mess - this paper, rock ,  scissors balance at its best.

Just a typical bad NA player I farmed with 300ms back in the days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NotAion Expert
6 hours ago, Guest pew pew said:

Fixed that for you. That was not the case in classic,  sorc vs glad-- only a very good geared glad with an extendable in most cases stood a chance. Welcome to classic.

This is not the  current mess - this paper, rock ,  scissors balance at its best.

Just a typical bad NA player I farmed with 300ms back in the good old days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Pew pew
6 hours ago, Guest NotAion Expert said:

Just a typical bad NA player I farmed with 300ms back in the good old days.

Indeed, do you think your response will make any more sense if you post it twice? None of what you said has anything to do with what I posted. No one cares about your lag way back whenever 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NotAion Expert
1 hour ago, Guest Pew pew said:

Indeed, do you think your response will make any more sense if you post it twice? None of what you said has anything to do with what I posted. No one cares about your lag way back whenever 

Not my problem that the only thing you can point out is the failure of the forum.

Glad was, is, and is going to be S tier in PvP and RvR, we talk about in general not some nyerking rock paper scissor 1v1 duels. Glad does not need extend to be useful, but it needs both to reach it's max output obviously. Like in what world would Glad even not be S tier in RvR, class with most aoe damage, best DP skills to make his aoes even better etc. You are delusional. 

Not even going to mention PvE, a heavy scaling class that has access to dualwield and you say it's not S. Absolute delusion.

Bad in solo pvp? Sure it's bad when you have no buffs ready and you fight players with a bit more idea about Aion than you have. And then we can mention the rock paper scissor balance, because realistically what will a Glad do against a sorc/sm without SW being ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Moe
31 minutes ago, Guest NotAion Expert said:

Bad in solo pvp? Sure it's bad when you have no buffs ready and you fight players with a bit more idea about Aion than you have. And then we can mention the rock paper scissor balance, because realistically what will a Glad do against a sorc/sm without SW being ready.

Glad has <5% chance against vs sorc/sm. Sonic>paralyze proc is the only way how he going to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall having significant issues with Spirit Masters; that was more down to who caught whom, buffs, etc.  Closer to a coinflip, or maybe I was just skilled/lucky.

Sorcs though, I rarely triumphed over.  Believe it or not I eventually started carrying around a cloth set specifically for when I was jumping Sorcs because it was just that bad otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NotAion Expert
27 minutes ago, Guest Moe said:

Glad has <5% chance against vs sorc/sm. Sonic>paralyze proc is the only way how he going to win.

Hell is sonic, you mean silence? 

24 minutes ago, 5s16519C said:

I don't recall having significant issues with Spirit Masters; that was more down to who caught whom, buffs, etc.  Closer to a coinflip, or maybe I was just skilled/lucky.

Sorcs though, I rarely triumphed over.  Believe it or not I eventually started carrying around a cloth set specifically for when I was jumping Sorcs because it was just that bad otherwise.

Yes, as I said in general. I don't specially talk about the top 1% players when it comes to skill. On an average skill level gladiator can deal with both and basically any class. Now when it comes to high skill level, it mostly comes down to luck of resisting slows, roots with SW. And Spiritmaster is by far the biggest counter, at 40m you are already at disadvantage if we talk about an absolute godtier Spiritmaster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Guest NotAion Expert said:

Yes, as I said in general. I don't specially talk about the top 1% players when it comes to skill. On an average skill level gladiator can deal with both and basically any class. Now when it comes to high skill level, it mostly comes down to luck of resisting slows, roots with SW. And Spiritmaster is by far the biggest counter, at 40m you are already at disadvantage if we talk about an absolute godtier Spiritmaster.

Hehe, I don't know if I would qualify as one of the top in my time, but I appreciate the vote of confidence.  It was more than I just layered my sustain and waited out the worst of the damage... I think a lot of Glads got trigger happy and just tried to run it down.  A spirit master would make my life miserable and frustrated me with constant long range cc, but stuff would run out.. eventually. 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest pew pew
3 hours ago, Guest NotAion Expert said:

Not my problem that the only thing you can point out is the failure of the forum.

Glad was, is, and is going to be S tier in PvP and RvR, we talk about in general not some nyerking rock paper scissor 1v1 duels. Glad does not need extend to be useful, but it needs both to reach it's max output obviously. Like in what world would Glad even not be S tier in RvR, class with most aoe damage, best DP skills to make his aoes even better etc. You are delusional. 

Not even going to mention PvE, a heavy scaling class that has access to dualwield and you say it's not S. Absolute delusion.

Bad in solo pvp? Sure it's bad when you have no buffs ready and you fight players with a bit more idea about Aion than you have. And then we can mention the rock paper scissor balance, because realistically what will a Glad do against a sorc/sm without SW being ready.

So let's ignore your attempt at repeating the word delusional in  transparent tactic to strengthen an argument, shall we?

You are ignoring multiple class balancing patches . No, when  Aion first came out and indeed for at least several years glads were not "S" tier. 

 1- Most glads without extends in PVP  didn't necessarily  fare well even if they were stacked with chain

2- Fight PVP - enjoy your first shard war, then come back here and claim to be "S" tier

3- Not in PVE- not the best tanks for a while, not the highest DPS - sorcs say hi- so do competent sins.  

So feel free to dream, if you want "S" tier glads that keep getting buffed, play retail. Otherwise glads in classic  will be solid , fun but not OP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NotAion Expert
1 hour ago, Guest pew pew said:

So let's ignore your attempt at repeating the word delusional in  transparent tactic to strengthen an argument, shall we?

You are ignoring multiple class balancing patches . No, when  Aion first came out and indeed for at least several years glads were not "S" tier. 

 1- Most glads without extends in PVP  didn't necessarily  fare well even if they were stacked with chain

2- Fight PVP - enjoy your first shard war, then come back here and claim to be "S" tier

3- Not in PVE- not the best tanks for a while, not the highest DPS - sorcs say hi- so do competent sins.  

So feel free to dream, if you want "S" tier glads that keep getting buffed, play retail. Otherwise glads in classic  will be solid , fun but not OP.

1 - I wonder what makes you assume this? Glad is undoubtly the least effort for most reward class, extend or not.
2 - Who cares about your specific shard pvp, the RvR does not end there and it is the same thing. Yes glads die fast on the front, but if they just use their lv50 aoe and extra aoes, they already did at least 10 times more damage than most can do apart from sorc magma eruption. RvRs are heavily decided by glads, sorcs(especially with WoQ) and how fast clerics rez to stall out the blob fight, maybe let's put a point into templar 4k pull as well. In basically every MMORPG RvR comes down to the aoe focus on one spot and making use of the momentum, glads and sorcs create this the easiest, again wink also at templar 4k DP. Especially true the higher the number of players go. I repeat you are delusional, you are trying to create some new MMORPG RvR meta here, it was always like this and is going to be like this unless they magically remove all AoEs from the game. This is such an obvious feature of RvR that it pops your eyes, different MMOs tried to solve it different ways, some add simply AoE target cap, some add split damage etc.
3 - You do not need to be main tank to be S tier, I got to remind you that templar is heavily not needed as a main meatshield until 3.5 Tiamat fight, hell not even there, we had a glad in MR tanking the adds in my team lol, and now let's not talk about the DPS difference between a gladi and templar. Yea sorcs say hi, also say hi to 99% of the sorcs that do not know the potion trick to gain x2 times the mana with a single serum and run out of mana in no time, or barely DPS to preserve there mana for the burst phase. Glad has consistent DPS, just like sin, sorc has that burst phase that is valuable during important bosses.(Yes i am looking at Tahabata last phase, and Stormwing rage buff, or even MKK illusion gate spawn, you name it.)

And then we did not even point out which class is the best transformed in a RvR, oh wow look at this class that has the most aoe damage but now it can also just run in and out to get healed on repeat for 10minutes with an extra AoE that comes with the transform that is by the way scales with physical stats.

Just stop it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest pewpew
46 minutes ago, Guest NotAion Expert said:

1 - I wonder what makes you assume this? Glad is undoubtly the least effort for most reward class, extend or not.
2 - Who cares about your specific shard pvp, the RvR does not end there and it is the same thing. Yes glads die fast on the front, but if they just use their lv50 aoe and extra aoes, they already did at least 10 times more damage than most can do apart from sorc magma eruption. RvRs are heavily decided by glads, sorcs(especially with WoQ) and how fast clerics rez to stall out the blob fight, maybe let's put a point into templar 4k pull as well. In basically every MMORPG RvR comes down to the aoe focus on one spot and making use of the momentum, glads and sorcs create this the easiest, again wink also at templar 4k DP. Especially true the higher the number of players go. I repeat you are delusional, you are trying to create some new MMORPG RvR meta here, it was always like this and is going to be like this unless they magically remove all AoEs from the game. This is such an obvious feature of RvR that it pops your eyes, different MMOs tried to solve it different ways, some add simply AoE target cap, some add split damage etc.
3 - You do not need to be main tank to be S tier, I got to remind you that templar is heavily not needed as a main meatshield until 3.5 Tiamat fight, hell not even there, we had a glad in MR tanking the adds in my team lol, and now let's not talk about the DPS difference between a gladi and templar. Yea sorcs say hi, also say hi to 99% of the sorcs that do not know the potion trick to gain x2 times the mana with a single serum and run out of mana in no time, or barely DPS to preserve there mana for the burst phase. Glad has consistent DPS, just like sin, sorc has that burst phase that is valuable during important bosses.(Yes i am looking at Tahabata last phase, and Stormwing rage buff, or even MKK illusion gate spawn, you name it.)

And then we did not even point out which class is the best transformed in a RvR, oh wow look at this class that has the most aoe damage but now it can also just run in and out to get healed on repeat for 10minutes with an extra AoE that comes with the transform that is by the way scales with physical stats.

Just stop it.

1-- according to whom?

2-  same thing as what? oh my, you forget all the QOL changes don't you. WOQ?  that's not even necessarily so, even without a chanter , sorcs have their own tools. Incidentally , must be news to you but glads aren't the only class with AOEs. Oh hey, sorcs have flight AOE too, flight PVP  was just amazing on a sorc. Not so much for some other classes. 

3- You're so far off the mark with which  has consistently had higher DPS in those release,  indeed you're bringing up mana magement- here's a news flash- aside from one memorable release, mana management was rarely very difficult for sorcs that had a basic competency.

If you want to talk about a transform fight,   several classes are effective at  General + rank, especially since 1/2 the fight even as a transform (with a nice big target on your back) is using your brain cells and skill- but indeed as you point out you re not an expert.

By the way- the best transform class wouldn't be a glad- I'd vote for a cleric or temp - but what do I know- I just had  (and used) transform rank for most of the past 11 years - I'd say at least 9

So yes, please do stop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NotAion Expert
10 hours ago, Guest pewpew said:

1-- according to whom?

2-  same thing as what? oh my, you forget all the QOL changes don't you. WOQ?  that's not even necessarily so, even without a chanter , sorcs have their own tools. Incidentally , must be news to you but glads aren't the only class with AOEs. Oh hey, sorcs have flight AOE too, flight PVP  was just amazing on a sorc. Not so much for some other classes. 

3- You're so far off the mark with which  has consistently had higher DPS in those release,  indeed you're bringing up mana magement- here's a news flash- aside from one memorable release, mana management was rarely very difficult for sorcs that had a basic competency.

If you want to talk about a transform fight,   several classes are effective at  General + rank, especially since 1/2 the fight even as a transform (with a nice big target on your back) is using your brain cells and skill- but indeed as you point out you re not an expert.

By the way- the best transform class wouldn't be a glad- I'd vote for a cleric or temp - but what do I know- I just had  (and used) transform rank for most of the past 11 years - I'd say at least 9

So yes, please do stop. 

1 - There is a reason why gladiator was, is, will be popular. It is the same in all MMORPG.

2 - You think your shard pvp is any different from any flight RvR? Get yourself together. Tell me what nyerking QoL change makes gladi different in the air now than it was at release? Absorbing Fury, Springing Slice(kekw)? The only class I can think about having a true QoL change that affects thier performance in classic is ranger because their buffs are not 10s shared. Yes so you mention sorc as the only competitor against glad AoE capability, thanks for further proving my point and making a clown out of yourself.

3 - As I said you are probably just a bad player in general, there is no sorc to hold their mana with freezing wind weaving, and if they are not weaving freezing wind between each skill then their DPS significantly drops, like big time drops. I'll repeat they have a burst phase even without freezing wind.

I am even playing now on an ex 1.9 and now 2.1 server with 4500 online numbers during siege, but still no you just cannot compare glad and sorc transforms with anything else. When like 20-30 gladiators push simuntaenously inside a blob transformed I dare you to say again gladiator is not the best transform. Even without transform 20-30 gladis jumping together can wipe the same amount of people by just pressing 1 button into the blob, if they use the better AoE stigma of course.

You are a good example of time spent does not necessairly equal higher skill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guest NotAion Expert said:

I am even playing now on an ex 1.9 and now 2.1 server with 4500 online numbers during siege, but still no you just cannot compare glad and sorc transforms with anything else. When like 20-30 gladiators push simuntaenously inside a blob transformed I dare you to say again gladiator is not the best transform. Even without transform 20-30 gladis jumping together can wipe the same amount of people by just pressing 1 button into the blob, if they use the better AoE stigma of course.

Allow me to butt into all this chest pounding to comment that Gladiators excel for transform use in aggressive, bursty situations.  Depending on the situation, ex holding vs attacking, I can see why a Templar might be preferable.  They're going to deal a fair bit less damage, but sustaining and taking damage the rest of your non-transform squad can't handle is important too.  

If the conversation is just about which is probably the singularly most dangerous in siege combat, that would likely be the Gladiator, having enough sustain/%heals and an alarming amount of compotent AoE's to be an undeniable threat.  Templars transforms just don't die, but there's value in that too.

Now, carry on with the nyerk swinging.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest pewpew
7 hours ago, Guest NotAion Expert said:

1 - There is a reason why gladiator was, is, will be popular. It is the same in all MMORPG.

2 - You think your shard pvp is any different from any flight RvR? Get yourself together. Tell me what nyerking QoL change makes gladi different in the air now than it was at release? Absorbing Fury, Springing Slice(kekw)? The only class I can think about having a true QoL change that affects thier performance in classic is ranger because their buffs are not 10s shared. Yes so you mention sorc as the only competitor against glad AoE capability, thanks for further proving my point and making a clown out of yourself.

3 - As I said you are probably just a bad player in general, there is no sorc to hold their mana with freezing wind weaving, and if they are not weaving freezing wind between each skill then their DPS significantly drops, like big time drops. I'll repeat they have a burst phase even without freezing wind.

I am even playing now on an ex 1.9 and now 2.1 server with 4500 online numbers during siege, but still no you just cannot compare glad and sorc transforms with anything else. When like 20-30 gladiators push simuntaenously inside a blob transformed I dare you to say again gladiator is not the best transform. Even without transform 20-30 gladis jumping together can wipe the same amount of people by just pressing 1 button into the blob, if they use the better AoE stigma of course.

You are a good example of time spent does not necessairly equal higher skill.

The irony in someone who relies on repeating "delusional", "bad" and  propping up their post with insults like "clown"  ,  imagine getting so mad over someone who disagrees with you  that you have to try to turn it around and attack their skill level, rather than  just having a civil discussion.   As if someone is trying to stop you from playing glad?  SMH.

Incidentally,  thank you  , most amusing post today, particularly about "holding mana" and weaving freezing wind. That was  refreshingly funny.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

People confuse present day Gladiators with Classic. Today gladiators are pretty much tanks with canon dps output. They weren't always like that, back in old Aion they did have their anti-class which was the cloth. Today they rip cloths in 1 second and not "if they catch you"... they will catch you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...