Jump to content
Forums

State of the server population - Changes to Siel's Aura Suggestion


Do you think the changes to Siel's Aura will keep more actively players online?  

30 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you think the changes to Siel's Aura will keep more actively players online?

    • Yes
      15
    • No
      15


Recommended Posts

Can we address the elephant in the room? And that is the mediocre number of players on NA servers provided by https://myaion.eu/.

What is keeping players offline? My hypothesis is Siel’s Aura and their restrictions and how it offers zero motivation to remain on the server after the 1-hour Aura is gone. Let us try and think clearly for once here. Players login for an hour, solo grind then logs off. Or they stay logged off until their friends to login to do something, so they do not “waste” the 1-hour Aura, then log off. Those people “saving” their Aura is time they could have been spending on the server.

Objective: Keep players actively online > Higher population attracts more players > Higher revenue through in-game purchases. In this order.

The current format of Siel’s Aura does exactly the opposite. Nobody but bots stay online due to 50% exp reduction and unable to gather items. The only semi-worthwhile thing to do is to AFK craft. Remember, the goal is to keep players ACTIVELY online.

Realize Aion Classic is an ultra grindy game. Making it even more grindy just to level is probably the best way to reduce your server population. I am not worried about the die-hard Aion fans. They will remain here even with a server population of 200. I am worried for the casual and potentially new players that leave before they even reach end-game content. Again, the goal is to keep players ACTIVELY online.

I would assume most Aion Classic players are probably like me who are somewhere between 25 – 35 with real world responsibilities now who probably login for 3-4 hours a night, max. Who are the ones that can play for 10+ hours each night? Most likely teenagers with minimal responsibilities. Truth is, that should be your new target audience. And just because they have the time to play for half a day, you as the game host need to still make it worthwhile for them just to login.

In summary: EXP reduction and inability to gather after an hour is what keeps players offline. I would suggest the following after Siel’s Aura is off.

1. EXP remains at 100%
2. Gathering is still available (Although you can reduce the EXP gained from this)
3. Make it available to direct trade/set shop (Restricting this in the first place made no sense)
4. Abyss Point restriction (This is fine, although changing it to 25% might work out later in the game)
5. Heroic/Fabled item drop restrictions (This is fine)
6. Kinah Acquisition restrictions (This is fine)
7. Relic exchange restrictions (This is fine)
8. Inability to participate in seasonal/holiday/special events i.e., Code Red event etc. (Can add this)

One last time, the goal is to keep players ACTIVELY online, whether its through farming, leveling, pvp or gathering. Keep them online.

@Kibbelz Please pass this message onto the team if anything can be done about it. I don’t think this is asking too much.

Make Aion (classic) Great Again!

Edited by Enzo
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally prepaid for the 1st month and won't pay for another month for two reasons:
1) The aura of 1h gives bots free pass to bot and it is evident on the amount of bots
2) P2w from the company from day 1 made most people leave
...you are asking for the game to be free-to-bot friendlier now with a less restrictions.

The vast majority of players who were lured to try classic are already gone, they can make it 100% f2p for all we care at this point.

Edited by Arhangelos-KT
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

I personally prepaid for the 1st month and won't pay for another month for two reasons:
1) The aura of 1h gives bots free pass to bot and it is evident on the amount of bots
2) P2w from the company from day 1 made most people leave
...you are asking for the game to be free-to-bot friendlier now with a less restrictions.

The vast majority of players who were lured to try classic are already gone, they can make it 100% f2p for all we care at this point.

That's very narrow thinking. The bots are farming regardless of the 1 hour Aura where the majority of their kinah gain is from NPC'ing white/green items. Do bots even directly effect your gameplay? Aside from the LFG spam, the answer is no. The bots aren't the issue. The players buying kinah is the issue. If players stopped purchasing, then bot farms would never invest their time into this. It is unfortunate but bots are here to stay, just like it is in Aion Korea or ANY other mmorpg. And if you think otherwise, then you're delusional.

As for the p2w, I assume you're referring to candies, is fundamentally no different than someone purchasing kinah from a bot (except money goes to NCSoft instead).

Now that we cleared up how the two are essentially the same issue (p2w) and that there is no permanent fix for it, we need to address other issues that we actually have control over instead of just whining hence my solution of encouraging casual players to remain on the server and bringing more in.

I understand ncsoft is a business and makes money off subscriptions so fully f2p won't be happening any time soon. But going a hybrid f2p model like they have now should not make it a chore to play. Subscription is meant to limit frequency of fun endgame and extra content, not prolong the worst part of the game which is grinding mobs to level. Again, keep players on the server.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Enzo said:

As for the p2w, I assume you're referring to candies, is fundamentally no different than someone purchasing kinah from a bot (except money goes to NCSoft instead).

This is what I don't understand either, every mmo is pay to win, it just depends on who you're paying. There is always and will always be RMT inside mmos and the top people are the ones paying them.

People buying candies are only buying a shortcut to their vendor cap each day and then selling the rest off to other players. Roughly 20% of what they buy goes into other players pockets. It's honestly a much healthier method over buying from shady websites or legions who use bots to funnel resources.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

I personally prepaid for the 1st month and won't pay for another month for two reasons:
1) The aura of 1h gives bots free pass to bot and it is evident on the amount of bots
2) P2w from the company from day 1 made most people leave
...you are asking for the game to be free-to-bot friendlier now with a less restrictions.

The vast majority of players who were lured to try classic are already gone, they can make it 100% f2p for all we care at this point.

Oh rubbish, there are more people in Sanctum on Siel atm than the whole of KT. Classic is doing just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

Currently Siel's Aura is too friendly to players not paying the sub. Either go full sub or full f2p, this half and half thing is an abomination.

I would prefer the "trial" version of the game, if that is really what the aura is supposed to represent, limit non-subbed characters to poeta only (lv 10 cap), and also take away their ability to use /3 LFG.  This wouldn't do anything to the bots and rmt that are already paying a sub or willing to pay the sub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hirojin said:

No.

Currently Siel's Aura is too friendly to players not paying the sub. Either go full sub or full f2p, this half and half thing is an abomination.

I would prefer the "trial" version of the game, if that is really what the aura is supposed to represent, limit non-subbed characters to poeta only (lv 10 cap), and also take away their ability to use /3 LFG.  This wouldn't do anything to the bots and rmt that are already paying a sub or willing to pay the sub.

I swear. Another person that didn't read. Bots are NOT the issue here. Stop cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, the server populations are fine, they could be better sure, but this game is already doing so much better than retail is. There are some things that keep players away, but I don't think Siel's aura is it. Daeva pass overcharging, the game not being 'classic' enough, the game being too grindy for western gamers, too much p2w for the game being mostly subscription based. The only people who are complaining about the f2p restrictions are those from poor countries or people who don't have the disposable income to be able to afford a sub. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Enzo said:

I swear. Another person that didn't read. Bots are NOT the issue here. Stop cutting off your nose to spite your face...

I read just fine. I just disagree with everything you posted about what you think the current issue is and how to fix it.

I'd like for there to be more players playing the game too. But not if that means that I have to have the quality of players that a f2p model attracts. The draw of classic for me is the sub model and getting away from 3.0+ stuff that took the game in the direction you want to go with Siel's Aura.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again forums should be disabled to stop all these useless complaints. The game is great, and if you don't like it then just F off already. Sure they could've changed somethings but we know how ncsoft works and making 100s thread a day will not change their minds. Go find something that's less p2w if your bank can't handle it. Some games aren't meant for everybody.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alvie said:

Oh rubbish, there are more people in Sanctum on Siel atm than the whole of KT. Classic is doing just fine.

The vast majority did quit, there were times we had to wait to log into the servers because they were full in the first days, a week later and servers were halfway full, Siel is now like 20% full at peaks and Israphel is like 10% or something.

I mentioned my subscription, it did end and I am not renewing. I do not need it to log in an see the old maps for nostalgia.

Lastly nobody compared retail to classic. Of course retail is even more dead than before. This is irrelevant to the topic.

Edited by Arhangelos-KT
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Enzo said:

That's very narrow thinking. The bots are farming regardless of the 1 hour Aura where the majority of their kinah gain is from NPC'ing white/green items. Do bots even directly effect your gameplay? Aside from the LFG spam, the answer is no. The bots aren't the issue. The players buying kinah is the issue. If players stopped purchasing, then bot farms would never invest their time into this. It is unfortunate but bots are here to stay, just like it is in Aion Korea or ANY other mmorpg. And if you think otherwise, then you're delusional.

As for the p2w, I assume you're referring to candies, is fundamentally no different than someone purchasing kinah from a bot (except money goes to NCSoft instead).

Now that we cleared up how the two are essentially the same issue (p2w) and that there is no permanent fix for it, we need to address other issues that we actually have control over instead of just whining hence my solution of encouraging casual players to remain on the server and bringing more in.

I understand ncsoft is a business and makes money off subscriptions so fully f2p won't be happening any time soon. But going a hybrid f2p model like they have now should not make it a chore to play. Subscription is meant to limit frequency of fun endgame and extra content, not prolong the worst part of the game which is grinding mobs to level. Again, keep players on the server.

Bots and candies do change my game play, vastly. Whatever I do, someone else does it better due to 24/7 botting, whatever drop I have, someone had 20 of them because they have a bot, whatever I gather, someone has 100 times more because of his bots or because he bought candies and he emptied the broker of those mats so eh can craft, whatever kinah I make, someone has 100 times more either by kinah or by candies.

The game is a social game and it is  a competitive one. I am not playing classic to become a farm bot. When you spend 2~3 hours gathering and crafting you were supposed to have an advantage over the guy who simply went pvping for fun and now is penniless. Instead my 3 hours gathering/crafting are now purchased within a second from someone who paid and he can go back to pvping while I must go back to gathering and crafting because the money I made is nothing compared to those with 30 bots or those that bought 1000 candies.

If there is p2w at all and/or bots, then casual gaming doesn't exist. And when casual gaming dies... so does the game eventually.

Edited by Arhangelos-KT
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

Bots and candies do change my game play, vastly. Whatever I do, someone else does it better due to 24/7 botting, whatever drop I have, someone had 20 of them because they have a bot, whatever I gather, someone has 100 times more because of his bots or because he bought candies and he emptied the broker of those mats so eh can craft, whatever kinah I make, someone has 100 times more either by kinah or by candies.

The game is a social game and it is  a competitive one. I am not playing classic to become a farm bot. When you spend 2~3 hours gathering and crafting you were supposed to have an advantage over the guy who simply went pvping for fun and now is penniless. Instead my 3 hours gathering/crafting are now purchased within a second from someone who paid and he can go back to pvping while I must go back to gathering and crafting because the money I made is nothing compared to those with 30 bots or those that bought 1000 candies.

If there is p2w at all and/or bots, then casual gaming doesn't exist. And when casual gaming dies... so does the game eventually.

Back in the day (before free to play) my money maker was Adamantium ore something needed for mid tier armor crafts and some of its beloved skins. A stack of 200-300 regular adamantium ore could net me anywhere from 400k-600k sometimes a bit more and sometimes less depending on the market at the time. Either way it was great because I made kinah but I also sincerely enjoyed gathering / mining. When Classic launched I couldn't wait to relive that. I got to level 30 as quickly as I could and grinded up my gathering so I could mine that green gold and sell it to crafters while it was still relevant.

Imagine my disappointment when I find my beloved ore is virtually worthless because a sea of bots have already dumped immense quantities of it onto the market. I can never sell my stacks taking into account the labor (time I spent gathering at that level) because an entire group of bots worth of mats will just be dumped onto the market at a deep undercut, the time spent is nothing to them because it was all automated.

I reported the same bots farming the same nodes for around three weeks and nothing was ever done about them. Later on I encounter those same bots farming different nodes in another area.

NCSoft West is probably too understaffed to deal with these things in a timely manner but their "wait and see" approach to absolutely every complaint and critique the player base brings to them is causing these servers a slow and untimely demise. Launch day showed us how great this could have been, but their slow response time, lack of foresight, and Laissez-faire attitude towards hot button issues has squandered the opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 12:43 AM, Enzo said:

As for the p2w, I assume you're referring to candies, is fundamentally no different than someone purchasing kinah from a bot (except money goes to NCSoft instead).

 

 

23 hours ago, Wence said:

This is what I don't understand either, every mmo is pay to win, it just depends on who you're paying. There is always and will always be RMT inside mmos and the top people are the ones paying them.

People buying candies are only buying a shortcut to their vendor cap each day and then selling the rest off to other players. Roughly 20% of what they buy goes into other players pockets. It's honestly a much healthier method over buying from shady websites or legions who use bots to funnel resources.

Blows my mind that people like you 2, don't want to understand the difference between buying from Farmers and Buying from NcSoft.

The one and MOST important part here, is that with farmers, they HAVE to play the game in order to acquire kinah. And/Or bot. Both of this issues are here BECAUSE NcSoft is not doing their job ( like banning Bots and Farmers ). Also, Farmers and Bots have ..limited power ( IKR? ) but with NcSoft ( read the next sentence loud and clear ), you have infinite amount of Kinah ........... out of no where. They are INJECTING kinah into the game. Artificially, since you buy Candies and then you sell them to the NPC. 

You are doing NOTHING good by : Hey, I buy Kinah from Ncsoft and not from farmers, to support the company!!!! Really? Bots are still there. Famers too. Lots of LFG spam ( I assume is the same since the launch of the game ), etc. Moreso , 1 server is almost dead. What exactly company are you supporting?! 

Buying Kinah from NcSoft, you are part of the problem. You are not "fixing" anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jagblade-DN said:

Back in the day (before free to play) my money maker was Adamantium ore something needed for mid tier armor crafts and some of its beloved skins. A stack of 200-300 regular adamantium ore could net me anywhere from 400k-600k sometimes a bit more and sometimes less depending on the market at the time. Either way it was great because I made kinah but I also sincerely enjoyed gathering / mining. When Classic launched I couldn't wait to relive that. I got to level 30 as quickly as I could and grinded up my gathering so I could mine that green gold and sell it to crafters while it was still relevant.

Imagine my disappointment when I find my beloved ore is virtually worthless because a sea of bots have already dumped immense quantities of it onto the market. I can never sell my stacks taking into account the labor (time I spent gathering at that level) because an entire group of bots worth of mats will just be dumped onto the market at a deep undercut, the time spent is nothing to them because it was all automated.

I reported the same bots farming the same nodes for around three weeks and nothing was ever done about them. Later on I encounter those same bots farming different nodes in another area.

NCSoft West is probably too understaffed to deal with these things in a timely manner but their "wait and see" approach to absolutely every complaint and critique the player base brings to them is causing these servers a slow and untimely demise. Launch day showed us how great this could have been, but their slow response time, lack of foresight, and Laissez-faire attitude towards hot button issues has squandered the opportunity.

AMEN... What I used to do was to check the most expensive materials and go gather them, usually ores were more expensive as they had only 1 gather per node later and they were only near the feet of mountains. Later I would do aethertapping and I would then morph materials by killing enemies etc.

Of course I can always go slowly gathering, slowly crafting, slowly killing mobs, slowly progressing, and somehow I should "enjoy my game at my pace" as those p2w+bot defenders keep advising me.

But this is not Diablo where you play yourself, it is an mmorpg where you compete. I can go essencetapping in retail too after all, it is also useless there as much as it is in Classic. I can do Aetherforging a useless material just to "feel I am crafting" as well.

It is not the action of doing a repetitive thing over and over again I had nostalgia about, it is the fact that I felt a sense of progress while doing those, planning my game play and getting something in return.

Right now we have f2bot + subscription + p2w. We cannot have all of these and expect it to work for everyone. This is worse than retail where at least I can play for free and not have to give 15$ per month just to sit around feeling useless.

Edited by Arhangelos-KT
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 11:19 PM, Hirojin said:

No.

Currently Siel's Aura is too friendly to players not paying the sub. Either go full sub or full f2p, this half and half thing is an abomination.

I would prefer the "trial" version of the game, if that is really what the aura is supposed to represent, limit non-subbed characters to poeta only (lv 10 cap), and also take away their ability to use /3 LFG.  This wouldn't do anything to the bots and rmt that are already paying a sub or willing to pay the sub.

This. The only reason I came back was because I thought it was gonna be subscription based and a better service like back when people were afraid of RMTing and hacking because there were actual GMs running around doing shit. Go full sub, remove candies, make people work for their shit, they already got retail for p2w easy and fast gearing up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...