PvP Gearing for New Players?

BeritraVice-KT

I personally am not in this position, but I often try to help newer players out in gearing, so I figured this begs the question.

What PvP gear are people supposed to start with? The abyss BM quests were all up-leveled heavily and are much more difficult to farm, considering that the gear itself is more or less obsolete.

Arena 66 is a nyerk-show to get because people would have to idle in arenas for months because they don't have gear to fight in, plus the elitism that continues to surround Harmony gearing will lock players out of another source of valor insignias.

Then there's Abyss gear. The Petra medals change was actually a very nice idea, since this means you can trade the medals around and make the gear less difficult to acquire. However, sieges themselves are going to be a cluster-nyerk for new players to farm due to the high level mobs and instaburst from enemy faction members making it difficult to actually earn contribution consistently.

What should I tell new players to concentrate on first, gear-wise if they wish to PvP sooner?

Ohh there is no edit function so sorry about double post. I also noticed when trying to enchant my IS gear from 10-15 it seemed next to impossible with the old stones +supps so maybe you need to use only omega which means their really is only new gear anything other then that is a waste of omega and sups.

Squid is correct. With the new enchanting system making both Enchantment and Shining Enchantment stones effectively worthless. The only gear you should get is the set you intend to keep.

If you’re on a budget/low level you can start by picking up your full level 70 ap set if you don’t want to go all-in for the 75. Since getting to 70 is pretty easy you won’t have much/any level penalty on your gear and the stats are similar enough to the 75 to get by but if you ever want to upgrade it to the 75…you’ve got extra enchanting tagged on.

Personally your average starting player should try to do the following:

The Process:

Get Ancient Coin Gear: Low PvP %s on all pieces and a good general set to get you started. You will be absolutely annihilated by anyone in their actual PvP set but it’s still a good launching point for both PvE/PvP.

Get to level 70: Can’t stress this enough. 70 is the level that all of the base quests open up in the upper abyss. This will be your main source of exp/ap going forward. Easiest path to 70 is hitting Fissure as much as you can, Luna Daily/Weekly and doing the Asteria/Roah base quests in the abyss (Only ones open sub-70).

Blood Medals/Marks: You’ll want to get as many of these as possible and convert them into AP via buying Blood Mark gear and exchanging it at the Brokenblade Outpost in the abyss.

Arena Gear: Basically just pick up the PvP wings from here and call it a day. If you can get more pieces then they’ll serve as temporary pieces to replace any ancient coin gear you have until you can swap in the 70/75 ap set.

Accessories: Make sure you’re queuing up for Idgel Dome Landmark as much as you can. Winning here will net you a box that can contain decent PvP accessories that, while not as good as their ap counterparts, can put accessories at the end of your gearing process.

Spinel Medals: You’ll want to be generating as many spinels as you can. The prices have dropped (On my server at least) to a manageable rate and your ability to generate them yourself has been increased quite a bit so this shouldn’t trouble you too much. Most things give spinels in some capacity...so do lots of stuff!

*****The OP made note of Petra Medals so I’ll address them here as well. The level 65 PvP gear is not currently viable to pursue due to the prohibitive AP cost associated with them. A level 70 small piece of armor costs just under 700k ap compared to the Eternal 65 piece costing over 800k. Why this pricing nonsense exists is beyond me but it makes 65 ap gear a nonsensical pursuit at this point. *****

Once you’re in your 70/75 set you’ll be capable of competing with at least the general populace for most arenas and you’ll hopefully be in a decent place for money making ventures like Spire!

Tl;dr: Fastest viable set for a newbie is level 70 ap set. Don’t plan to upgrade it aside from guaranteed success (Omega + Greater supp). If you want to minimize overall time to “geared” status go straight for 75 ap.

6 hours ago, Oakley-SL said:

can the 70 ap gear be purified into 75 ap gear later?

Yes, the 70 ap gear can be bumped up to 75 once it reaches +10 via the purification npc in Pandaemonium/Sanctum. Doing so will reduce it to +5 (Or bring you down 5 upgrades from wherever it was at) and costs the ap/spinel difference between the 70 and 75 pieces. So basically you just have to decide if the extra upgrades are worth the faster acquisition of pieces or if you'd rather just save slowly for big pieces but ultimately have to upgrade less.

On 8/10/2017 at 8:42 PM, Fest-TM said:

Squid is correct. With the new enchanting system making both Enchantment and Shining Enchantment stones effectively worthless. The only gear you should get is the set you intend to keep.

If you’re on a budget/low level you can start by picking up your full level 70 ap set if you don’t want to go all-in for the 75. Since getting to 70 is pretty easy you won’t have much/any level penalty on your gear and the stats are similar enough to the 75 to get by but if you ever want to upgrade it to the 75…you’ve got extra enchanting tagged on.

Personally your average starting player should try to do the following:

The Process:

Get Ancient Coin Gear: Low PvP %s on all pieces and a good general set to get you started. You will be absolutely annihilated by anyone in their actual PvP set but it’s still a good launching point for both PvE/PvP.

Get to level 70: Can’t stress this enough. 70 is the level that all of the base quests open up in the upper abyss. This will be your main source of exp/ap going forward. Easiest path to 70 is hitting Fissure as much as you can, Luna Daily/Weekly and doing the Asteria/Roah base quests in the abyss (Only ones open sub-70).

Blood Medals/Marks: You’ll want to get as many of these as possible and convert them into AP via buying Blood Mark gear and exchanging it at the Brokenblade Outpost in the abyss.

Arena Gear: Basically just pick up the PvP wings from here and call it a day. If you can get more pieces then they’ll serve as temporary pieces to replace any ancient coin gear you have until you can swap in the 70/75 ap set.

Accessories: Make sure you’re queuing up for Idgel Dome Landmark as much as you can. Winning here will net you a box that can contain decent PvP accessories that, while not as good as their ap counterparts, can put accessories at the end of your gearing process.

Spinel Medals: You’ll want to be generating as many spinels as you can. The prices have dropped (On my server at least) to a manageable rate and your ability to generate them yourself has been increased quite a bit so this shouldn’t trouble you too much. Most things give spinels in some capacity...so do lots of stuff!

*****The OP made note of Petra Medals so I’ll address them here as well. The level 65 PvP gear is not currently viable to pursue due to the prohibitive AP cost associated with them. A level 70 small piece of armor costs just under 700k ap compared to the Eternal 65 piece costing over 800k. Why this pricing nonsense exists is beyond me but it makes 65 ap gear a nonsensical pursuit at this point. *****

Once you’re in your 70/75 set you’ll be capable of competing with at least the general populace for most arenas and you’ll hopefully be in a decent place for money making ventures like Spire!

Tl;dr: Fastest viable set for a newbie is level 70 ap set. Don’t plan to upgrade it aside from guaranteed success (Omega + Greater supp). If you want to minimize overall time to “geared” status go straight for 75 ap.

This is a huge help 'cause I am so lost.

I don't even know where the vendors are or what i should be doing.

I'm a fresh 66 and I tried to do quests in Illuma but was getting one shotted by all the asmos running around.

Can't run any dungeons 'cause everyone wants a level 70.

Tried to do the arena challenges but get stun locked and 2 shot there as well.

I have no clue how I'm supposed to catch up.

52 minutes ago, Socialite-IS said:

I'm a fresh 66 and I tried to do quests in Illuma but was getting one shotted by all the asmos running around.

Alright so I would recommend primarily leveling through Fissure of Oblivion and the Luna Daily/Weekly instances at first. All of them are solo and will move you through 66/67 rather quickly. Your first goal should be getting to 68 which unlocks the Roah/Asteria camp weekly quests in the abyss which will rapidly speed you to 70 if you can find a couple people to do them with. Also just take some time and talk to each npc in the relevant towns and just get a lay of the land. Make sure you at least have a good feeling about Illuma/Redemption Landing.

If you're having trouble finding the ancient coin gear vendors or anything I believe they should be in Cygnea somewhere. I'm an asmo and am not sure where your relevant npcs are! Good luck leveling!

On 8/19/2017 at 11:35 AM, Socialite-IS said:

Hi! :3 Just a quick note on this, you can afk the arenas and still get credit! Obviously, you won't get as much GP/AP/insignias as you would if you actually win, but it's still a good way to start saving up to buy your PVP gear.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:35 PM, Socialite-IS said:

Re lack of success questing in Iluma due to constant pvp: On SL we always have a group or two running around and it's difficult to get dailies done, but last night I picked up some spy quests that are also "kill 60 mobs in this area" type things, just in Norsvold. Go figure, there are fewer Asmos in Norsvold questing areas than in Iluma. I had a much easier time ^_^

1 minute ago, Krysalinne-SL said:

Re lack of success questing in Iluma due to constant pvp: On SL we always have a group or two running around and it's difficult to get dailies done, but last night I picked up some spy quests that are also "kill 60 mobs in this area" type things, just in Norsvold. Go figure, there are fewer Asmos in Norsvold questing areas than in Iluma. I had a much easier time ^_^

That's because there are one or two groups of Elyos killing all the Asmos in Norsvold. >_> :P

Funny how that works, isn't it? I see their location linked in LFG and I'm like "Why are you even bothering? That's where they always are... they're there so often they should give quests like NPCs at this point lol."

Norsvold is so much prettier... I may have to get my Asmo chanter to 70 now. If I'd realized she had better gear than my Elyos chanter, I'd have picked up with her rather than rolling a new Ely.

Wow, Fest just gave a really thorough guide and there's not much you can really add to it in terms of steps of acquiring gear. 

However, a lot of new players are really intimidated by prices of enchanting/socketing gear, so here are some personal tips for those looking to complete their sets. This is directed towards new players.

1) Make friends. Obviously, look around for a legion to join that has some experienced players willing to give server/faction-specific advice. Every server has a different economy. I know friends on Beritra who have issues making spinels, and I know friends on Siel who are intimidated by the inflated prices there. Ask around for appropriate prices, and sometimes friends can sell you much cheaper prices of medals/omegas/manastones than on broker.

2) Buy used gear. One of the better things about 5.0+ is that most gear is tradeable. A TON of end-game geared people on the more populated servers are desperate to sell their former gear. I know I was willing to sell a lot of my old arena pieces and my archdaeva pvp wings for cheap, and so you can DEFINITELY ask around on LFG to buy used gear. A lot of end-game geared people are willing to sell their valor insignias for cheap, and sometimes it's better than weeks and weeks of afking. (Also, with all the ancient coins you farm, you can buy unbinding stones! :D NPC is in Cygnea/Enshar.)

3) Make kinah for PVP gear through PVE. Supplements for enchanting drop like candy in most pve instances (AOE, COE, etc, etc) so make sure you burn pve cds. You also get a lot of pve gear to disenchant for dust that you can craft black stones with, as well as crafting stones to craft manastones. PVE is actually a decent source of kinah, and again with what Fest said, Ancient Coin gear will get you a long way in PVE AND PVP. Find a LFG group for lower-level PVE instances, and see if you can join a legion that is willing to take you to higher level instances as well.

4) Solo Instances every day. Fissure gives you ancient coins. Luna daily has chances to drop omegas and will give you a level reduction stone every 7 days. Do Luna weekly with the Mechatunerk quest and 7 Luna Weekly runs will give you 90 +6 manastones (tradeable) of your choice. (There's also a super high chance of Luna weekly dropping temperings every S rank you get.) A lot of new players don't know how profitable Luna can be. Fissure and Luna also give you a lot of exp, especially for low levels. Luna daily takes like 10 minutes MAX, and fissure clearing is pretty fast as well.

Basically, farming spinel medals and AP for gear can be daunting, as well as getting arena tokens. While you do your PVE stuff, you can make kinah to buy those pieces eventually. PVP gear can be super expensive to get, especially if you want to get end-game gear, but it's faster farming it with other people than just doing solo stuff by yourself. 

My best advice for gearing up in PVP is to 
1. Pretend to be a girl. If you can't pay the bills daddy will, that's my motto.
2(0). buy only +20 gear from the chinamen and koreans who are quitting.
3. And last but not least the most important thing in any game is have fun, and just go with the flow guys. Pvp gear will come naturally to you if you are/pretend to be a cool girl that buys only +20 gear. 

Remember don't be afraid to take advantage of people in aion online.com after all its just a game!!!:ph34r:

5 hours ago, NamePending-SL said:

^^ worst advice, ever,.. way to perpetuate helpless females, goat... u should be ashamed to know, some of our best gamers here,  are females,... your post, = shit/crap

appalled, he even got a like for that - bad Cheese >:(

Don't worry; he's just goating you. 

Archived