[Info] Running Aion Client On Amd Ryzen Threadripper

1s23F54F-KT

I recently upgraded my hardware to an AMD Ryzen Threadripper-based platform. I had run Aion previously on an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X without any problems at all. However as soon as I moved up to the Threadripper 1950X processor I found that Aion would crash in cryengine.dll while showing the opening banner while launching regardless of running in 16 or 32-bit mode. Concerned that a recently installed device driver or windows patch might have caused the issue I uninstalled drivers and patches that happened over the last few weeks. It was a very time-consuming and tedious process. Here is what I found:

None fo th4e software or patches - even the recent meltdown and spectre patches were causing the issue. It turns out that Aion refuses to run in AMD Ryzen "Creator" mode - only for the 12 and 16 core processors. The Threadripper has absolutely no problem at all with creator mode and Aion.

So if you are running one of these high end AMD processors, save yourself a lot of frustration and time by using AMD's Ryzen Master to switch your system to Game Mode first.

Archived