The true intentions and ambitions of Aion Classic

Shane

We all know why we play Aion Classic, be it nostalgia or simply because it's the best MMO you've ever played.
But what if we look at the marketing aspect of it, what's in it for NCSOFT? What's important for them and their shareholders?

There's a big difference in a company that's  driven by cash or driven by the passion for a specific craft (even for the latter you need company liquidity).
NCSOFT is a wealthy company. So when I see all the decisions that are being made, be it subscription, be it pay 2 win. There's such a void when it comes to passion.
Every product from NCSOFT seems like its just another way to make a quick score, a target, so at the end of the week they can look at green numbers. It is by itself very obvious that that's how Aion Classic is set up - which is fine.

Now, why is this important? Passion is where creativity comes from, the drive to do something that matters. Not a means to an end, a quick score, but passion to make something better.
The longevity of this product called Aion Classic is prolonged by passion and shortened by disinterest - this we've seen too often already in this industry.

I am hopefully Aion Classic can aspire to be lots more than what it currently is - yet realistically we can all see where this is currently, and going.

/Discuss Agree or not to agree, that IS the question.

8 minutes ago, Guest QQmore said:

tldr' : p2w crying

59 minutes ago, Shane said:

which is fine.

Pay 2 Win is absolutely fine. I play many Korean MMO's, this article is about what the expectation of the community is regarding Aion Classic. Guess it goes a little over your head. That's alright bud.

First of all, sorry for my english.

In my opinion, NCsoft should be aiming to compete with the big boys, right now being the big boys WoW and FF14 because they are moving a big number of players (2M minimum) but you can't compete with a more expensive sub because, let's be honest, Aion is not popular if you compare with those games, not to mention they give you new content, even if WoW have the classic, you can pay the sub to play the retail and classic (ofc paying the retail expansion cost). So if I were NCsoft I would take advantage of the free player base, there is a lot of people waiting for a good F2P MMO and we all know Riot is working right now in one MMO most likely to be F2P, NCsoft you have already a game that is good just make it free player friendly, quit the sub, make a good daeva pass for the ones that want a little bit of cosmetics, scrolls, potions, pets, nothing more.

GET RID OF THE AURA or at least don't make it so stupid, I would stay playing even if I need to grind more that the ones who pays the aura (for example, the one with sub just need to kill 1 mob to get 100 kinah, but I need to kill 3 or 4 to get 100 kinah) that's totally okay with me but like they are like "NOPE, you can't grind AT ALL", so don't advertise your game like F2P like it says in the web page.

Hire someone to make a good programming against bot, for example a 2 step confirmation with phone number, or don't make it possible to run more than one game at time. Program some chat filter, have some GMs that ban people most likely bots (come on, even in private server there is people who are just there for ban people in chat).

Even if I would love them to do all of these things or even just one, I need to accept they would not, that why I started to play in a private server after testing the game this week,  It served to remind me how much I loved Aion, but also how incompetent the company is. Because let's be real, even if they tried to make changes in Aion Classic, this is the same company who make the garbage of the other Aion that can't even reach to 500 players, so they are likely to drive the classic to the same state and I bet classic will be like that in a few months.

Guest SadWallet

It's a strange thing for us normal players to understand. Because we buy the sub, maybe the  daeva pass and maybe some wings, so we spend 15-56$.
Meanwhile one single whale will buy all that + many more cash shop items + 3000 candies which results in the whale making profit of ~1100$+.
So obviously we are nothing to them, we only matter as a filler for whales to have someone to fight against. 

Obviously NCSoft has collected lots of data in the past game releases and probably found out that making a quick cashgrab-whale-trigger game is more profitable than trying to sustain long living MMORPG which has a huge risk of dying anyway even though the effort would be put in.

There were multiple signs of this not being meant as long term slow-profit thing for NCSoft - lack of hype building, lack of advertisment, very fast release, just a copy-paste of KR version without any modifications. Then the triple monetization technique with very visible whale support.

I am sad but tbh not surprised, it seems that all the companies (not only in gaming) are going this way. (I work in one and see the extreme greed pouring everywhere)

Guest SadWallet

They are not stupid, they know Aion does NOT have the potential to compete with ffxiv/wow, so they adjust the model accordingly to get the maximum profit they choose the short term whale profit and they are probably right.

And you are right, their lack of creativity and passion is the reason for their games not standing a chance anymore

22 minutes ago, Guest Hum said:

Even if I would love them to do all of these things or even just one, I need to accept they would not, that why I started to play in a private server after testing the game this week,  It served to remind me how much I loved Aion, but also how incompetent the company is. Because let's be real, even if they tried to make changes in Aion Classic, this is the same company who make the garbage of the other Aion that can't even reach to 500 players, so they are likely to drive the classic to the same state and I bet classic will be like that in a few months.

But it's a shame isn't it?

To have the assets in your company to make something truly great or the ability to create an experience that is something unique - that could be Aion Classic.
I agree with what you've written btw. I am curious as far as the population goes how private servers are doing. But, I guess this whole ordeal was as expected.
Well one can only hope for better days right? :) 

19 minutes ago, Guest SadWallet said:

There were multiple signs of this not being meant as long term slow-profit thing for NCSoft - lack of hype building, lack of advertisment, very fast release, just a copy-paste of KR version without any modifications. Then the triple monetization technique with very visible whale support.

I am sad but tbh not surprised, it seems that all the companies (not only in gaming) are going this way. (I work in one and see the extreme greed pouring everywhere)

Yes the signs are very obvious. They do not shy away from the truth, which is why I'm also sort of shocked to see such sheepish behaviour. As a customer don't people care what they are being fed and why? What something could have been if there was the least amount of care.

And yeah I agree, not surprising. As we are all players who are enthusiastic and love this genre, I can't help but care or give a shit.

1 hour ago, Shane said:

We all know why we play Aion Classic, be it nostalgia or simply because it's the best MMO you've ever played.
But what if we look at the marketing aspect of it, what's in it for NCSOFT? What's important for them and their shareholders?

There's a big difference in a company that's  driven by cash or driven by the passion for a specific craft (even for the latter you need company liquidity).
NCSOFT is a wealthy company. So when I see all the decisions that are being made, be it subscription, be it pay 2 win. There's such a void when it comes to passion.
Every product from NCSOFT seems like its just another way to make a quick score, a target, so at the end of the week they can look at green numbers. It is by itself very obvious that that's how Aion Classic is set up - which is fine.

Now, why is this important? Passion is where creativity comes from, the drive to do something that matters. Not a means to an end, a quick score, but passion to make something better.
The longevity of this product called Aion Classic is prolonged by passion and shortened by disinterest - this we've seen too often already in this industry.

I am hopefully Aion Classic can aspire to be lots more than what it currently is - yet realistically we can all see where this is currently, and going.

/Discuss Agree or not to agree, that IS the question.

Oh no, how dare a company try to make money with their products?! What are they thinking??
There is no company out there that's selling their games because they want players to have fun.
Some might appear to do it because they're passion-driven or whatever, but at the end of the day what they care about is their paycheck. If a developer or company would make games to make sure we enjoy it, they would not put a pricetag on it and they would not include a cash shop in their game.

As for your claim that passion is good because they want to make something better.... they want to make something better so that more people spend money on their game, thus making more money off it.

If you understand how companies work/think, no amount of cash shops or p2w games will surprise you anymore.

The true intentions and ambitions of Aion Classic? Wow....

Obviously, being a company they first would like to make money. No profit = not worth it.  I also think it's obvious they know how badly they damaged the Live servers.

Nothing out of the ordinary for any company. Especially NC. And every mmorpg double dips now too.

Guest Kind Traveler

44 minutes ago, Liselotte said:

Oh no, how dare a company try to make money with their products?! What are they thinking??
There is no company out there that's selling their games because they want players to have fun.
Some might appear to do it because they're passion-driven or whatever, but at the end of the day what they care about is their paycheck. If a developer or company would make games to make sure we enjoy it, they would not put a pricetag on it and they would not include a cash shop in their game.

As for your claim that passion is good because they want to make something better.... they want to make something better so that more people spend money on their game, thus making more money off it.

If you understand how companies work/think, no amount of cash shops or p2w games will surprise you anymore.

Ouch, what blindfold do you have on? 

Archived