Forums

Bring back *real* anti-aliasing.

Gylaena-KT

I've played Aion on & off for years. So long that I remember when Anti-Aliasing was an option. This was my go-to game after Perfect World shut down the Malaysian servers, and PWI turned out to be a mistake even logging into, thanks to all the bots. I finally decided to stick to just Aion last year, but after having moved, and gotten busy then distracted, I lost track of Aion. Financially, I couldn't upgrade from a laptop or an All in One (aka laptop parts inside a kick-stand monitor), so Aion was really one of the only games I was able to get into.

Now, I'm on a PC I've built with my own hands. It was still a bit of a budget build, but the best way to "benchmark" it would be that I can now play Dragon Age Inquisition on Ultra High. For a gamer at heart that can finally play all the things, and on a PC I hand-picked hardware for -- this is like a dream come true. I figured I'd finally be able to play Aion happily, and max out the settings. Imagine my dismay when this is what I end up seeing. SS1 | SS2 I do have the annoying Bloom feature on, but all that does is give me the stereotypical fuzzy glow effect that only looks foggy and annoying to me. The jagged edge is still there, and crushes my spirits. I'm still trying to understand why NCSoft would switch to an engine that would omit anti-aliasing from a game, when that's industry standard. Everyone wants nice, smooth edges if their computer can handle it, even if they're on medium to low settings. I'm shocked that a developer would remove it from a game after it's been out for years. That would be like Blizzard removing AA from WoW. Imagine the uproar. 

Now let me address some things that might come up. Many threads I've read, and screenshots I've seen state that forcing AA breaks the graphics. You end up with rainbow colors, so much that it looks like a fauvist painting. So that's a no-go. AMD's driver has the option to force custom settings, but selecting Aion is impossible since it has a launcher from which you play Aion, and AMD's control panel, called Radeon Settings (not Crimson anymore), wants you to select an EXE. But the EXE file opens Aion's launcher. See the probs? If there is a trick that I just haven't found in spite of all my searching over the passed few months, I'll be ever grateful if you shared that with me.

I'm not saying that Aion is completely unplayable, but I feel very let down now that I have the capability to play on the highest settings. Plus, I've come to see how grindy Aion is compared to other games... I'm even less likely to spend time grinding out mobs when I keep seeing Lego edges. I might play for 7 days every 3 months, at best, but I can't say that I'll spend 3 hours at a time like I used to.

• 1 year later...

Gah dang, it's been this long since I last logged in or touched the game. I'm feeling nostalgic and might goof off in the game for awhile. Has anything even changed for anti-aliasing? Or will I slightly die inside by trying to put up with something so simple yet so profound as missing AA? Sure, there are better games I could be playing, but when I only had a craptop, Aion was all I had before I finally gave in and tried WoW.

It's also ironic that I googled the AA issue again and rediscovered MY OWN THREAD.

Archived