Gearing a chanter for PvE

Lad-DN

As a cleric I have a healing set and a dps set of armor, does a chanter need 2 sets as well?  (chanter chain + cleric chain?)

Would I need to bother getting a mace and shield? I've never seen a chanter use them before in any group I've been in, are they useless in PvE?

How should I socket the armor? All power? Precision? If I have a separate heal/support set as well, is it just all HP like clerics? 

I see people mention hybrid a lot, but what exactly would a hybrid set up look like? Like with the armor/stigmas?

Also what would be the best physical plume for a chanter?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Lad-DN said:

As a cleric I have a healing set and a dps set of armor, does a chanter need 2 sets as well?  (chanter chain + cleric chain?)

Different chanters have different opinions on which sets to have, but I think we all agree that you need separate sets for dps and support. The reason is that your dps set will need totally different manastones than your support set.

1 hour ago, Lad-DN said:

Would I need to bother getting a mace and shield? I've never seen a chanter use them before in any group I've been in, are they useless in PvE?

Yes. The mace/shield is for your support set. The staff is for your dps set. Make sure the mace has cast speed and the staff has attack speed.

1 hour ago, Lad-DN said:

How should I socket the armor? All power? Precision? If I have a separate heal/support set as well, is it just all HP like clerics? 

I will be rather vague here as, again, different chanters have different opinions. Some like half/half power and precision for dps; some prefer more power. For support, some go pure HP to stay alive when getting slammed in hard-hitting endgame instances, such as Frozen Monolith; some prefer an older set that allows them to socket ancient healing boost manastones -- be aware that those older heal boost sets will make you squishier though because they don't have the pve defense % like Apollon/Harvester. My *personal* pve support set is cleric's Harvester with archdaeva HP 7/yellow HP100 stones. With Blessing of Stone, I have 30k HP which is enough to take several hits without worrying about dying. As it's *cleric's* gear, it also has healing boost -- not a lot though, about 200. For me, I don't like having to worry about my own HP when I'm trying to heal. AGAIN THOUGH, IT'S ALL ABOUT YOUR OWN PERSONAL PREFERENCE...

1 hour ago, Lad-DN said:

I see people mention hybrid a lot, but what exactly would a hybrid set up look like? Like with the armor/stigmas?

This is another opinion thing, so do what works best for you. I am "hybrid" 90% of the time. To me, that means that I am in a group with one cleric who is doing most of the healing; I am just there for emergency heals and shields. I am in my dps gear and I am actively dpsing, but I can switch to my support gear with just one click (make sure you have your sets saved in your profile tab for easier switching) if I need to cast some heals. I will list my stigma set-ups below, but as I keep repeating, it's all about finding what works best for you. Just try a few things and see what you like.

1 hour ago, Lad-DN said:

Also what would be the best physical plume for a chanter?

You guessed it... more opinions. ;) I like crit/atk, but I believe most chanters prefer atk/crit.

My PVE stigmas:

Pure dps:
Numbing Blow
Blessing of Wind
Mountain Crash
Annihilation
Leaping Flash
Word of Life* - not dps, but I choose to keep it in all the time to have an extra insta-cast HoT

Hybrid (my set-up 90% of the time):
Elemental Screen
Blessing of Stone
Healing Burst
Annihilation
Leaping Flash
Word of Life

Pure heal:
Same as hybrid, but I replace Leaping Flash with Rise
* I keep Annihilation in just for a bit of extra dps if needed

Sidenote, make sure you have Revival mantra (the light blue one) on when you're doing bosses or heavy healing as this gives 10% healing boost.

Archived