Chanter v SM

Twixi-DN

hi guys, returning to the game and was wondering how chanter and  SM are doing. I have read up on both but am looking more for group desire. I typically play a support class but I am bouncing between the two as they were my old characters I used to play and love their ability to solo as I usually play odd hours. So if one fares better than the other at soloing content and which has an edge as part of a group. Thanks for the input.

I know you are saying you want to know how they fair in solo settings but I'll tell you, if you play a chanter you'll be expected to mostly heal while in a group setting as their dps is really shitty because of the utility they bring to the table.  They make awesome solo play.  Not sure about instances but my understanding is SM are fairly good at soloing instances.

In terms of soloing PvE content, SM >>> chanter. 

In terms of group PvE content, chanters are generally more valuable because depending on group composition and playstyle, chanters can contribute more DPS than SM's, and on top of that, chanters have group shields that are essential for bosses that nowadays have burst-dps attacks. 

Contrary to popular belief, chanter DPS is not negligible. Many LFG groups have minimal expectations from you as long as you have word of instigation whereas many premade groups, particularly for CoE and BoS, will expect you to mostly dps. Just like songweavers, we are a good burst-support class, but we are not good at long-term healing.

Archived