Vindicator or Inquisitor (RANGER 6.0)

Tell-DN

I've been trying to answer this question considering how much Evasion is needed to actually make any difference and also taking into account that adding P.Def to a leather set (that doesn't have that many PDef to start) may not be too advantageous either.

I tend to go with Evasion because that's like the defensive attribute assigned to the class (i.e., we have "evasion rate increase" passive skills (levels 1, 2 and 3) while other classes have "boost hp" or "boost block"). I believe that if they need to do something to rebalance classes and they decide that rangers need to last longer, I believe they would improve on evasion, maybe not P.Def.

Inquisitor leads me to https://aionpowerbook.com/powerbook/Item/110350066
Vindicator leads me to https://aionpowerbook.com/powerbook/Item/110350072
Therefore I tend to go with Inquisitor, that would lead me to Firebrand set.

What are your thoughts?

You might want to see this.

And this. Both of which recommend strongly that all classes go Vindicator, at least for their first set, because Evasion/MR from Inquisitor set scales very, very badly in 6.0. The amount you need to make it work is simply ridiculous.

When you hover your mouse over the Evasion stat (and a few others) in the Profile defense tab, it tells you what % chance you have to evade an attack from an enemy with which accuracy. I don't have a ranger alt to take stats from so I'll just take my cleric's compensation pvp set which gives 8k evasion, so 9% chance to evade an attack from an enemy with 6k accuracy. Even my cleric with a mace, not meant for physical attacks anymore, hits 8k accuracy, bringing the evasion chance to 0% I believe. So... completely innefficient, even if you socket your whole set with it and make your Inquisitor set ultimate and roll all the max evasion. : |

For accs, Vindicator is also the way to go to get a bit of an extra HP cushion. On Ancient and Legendary, it's already better stat-wise because you get 2 (HP & crit) useful stats out of 3 (shield defense/block) instead of just one (crit) out of 3 (eva & mr), and then at Ultimate you can select 4 useful stats out of the possible 6, so you're not forced to have block stat from that point onwards, only useful stats for you (hp, crit, atk & acc).

If you look at any single piece of gear no matter what state ancient, legenday, or ultimate you will see the evasion is always just a bit higher.  Of course it depends on your tune.  But generally speaking it will always be higher than accuracy.  Now there will most likely not be any player who prefers to stack accuracy thus you can actually have a slight chance to evade equally geared or lower geared players. Add to that skills like dodging and maybe even some evasion manastones and any class for the first time has a chance to make another player completely miss vital spells.  The idea of evasion is not to make other players miss every other spell and be in some kind of God mode...It is to take a chance and make them miss 1 or 2 crucial spells.  Make them miss a silence or a stun and you could change the outcome of a fight completely.  

Don't forget that just as evasion was compared to accuracy above that you also need to take into account that Defense needs to be compared to attack.  My crappy little ungeared character has almost 10k attack and climbing very quickly.  So stacking physical defense across all your gear isn't going to reduce damage by more than a couple hundred damage per spell against equally geared players.  Also worth noting is that the extra HP on vindicator is null by the time you reach ultimate enchantment because it then becomes a tuned stat on the inquisitor gear.  Except for a few crucial pieces in which you are then comparing crit to HP not evasion to HP. 

We are going to see that either set is a viable choice.  Especially once we all reach ultimate enchantment levels and things balance out once again.  The real question is are you a gambler who wants to take a chance on that 1 crucial spell maybe missing or are you a more reasonable person who wants a set that will perform with much more consistency.  Either way you are going to want to pick one set and stick with it for every slot.  

I personally have been a physical defence/HP ranger for the last 2 expansions and am going to try something new... an evasion ranger.  Rangers have been talking about evasion for years now and it has never been a viable choice as the stat could not be stacked high enough.  It finally is an option and I am looking forward to it.  That being said Vindicator is completely viable as a ranger.  You are going to see defensive benefits to both.  If you are really that torn make another ranger and build both sets.  

I am a beginner player and I decided to make a mix: Armors/Hat will be Inquisitor while Accessories will be Vindicator:

Inquisitor armors/hat when purified to Legendary has Evasion, MR and Critical bonus while Vindicator has Def, MR (less than the previous), and HP bonus. Here I prefer critic rather than HP (anyways, when armors/hat is purified to ultimate I will get a chance to get HP). The ultimate version has almost no difference: Evasion + Mr vs. Def + MR (less).

Accessories do not follow the pattern of armors/hat and Inquisitor when purified to Legendary has Evasion, MR and Critical bonus while the Vindicator has HP bonus, Parry and Critical. Here I prefer to have Critical + HP. More important, the ultimate version of Inquisitor (for accessories) does not have HP.

Archived