Forums

How player-friendly is this game now?

Navek-KT

Hello.

I'm looking for a mmorpg to play, so I want to know how is AION today. I know alot of info on internet but this game has a decade of patches and its hard to get this info.

Do I need to spend TONS of credits (cash) just to not be farmed? I'm okay with grinding and some credits here and there, but I'm not into a P2W game. So I would like a really honest answer here if possible.

I'll be straight with you. It has significantly fewer people than Gameforge. The next patches aren't looking too good, if word out of EU is accurate. We have no word on when we're getting those next patches. We've had a main PvP instance closed for three months or so(?) because of a bug that NC-Korea apparently can't fix, a bug that led to a huge banwave a few days ago. You're going to have to spend a lot of time or money to catch up. NC-West hasn't been subtle with its latest cashgrab, which is blatant p2w. The dependence on RNG to enchant your gear/skills/etc in this game can be brutal.

It is a pretty game, especially for a game that came out in, like, 2008 in Korea, but it's really not in good shape. We have one community manager, and he works primarily on another NCsoft game, Blade and Soul. The RL money store is kind of pitiful compared to other regions. There's a whole host of other reasons to play or not play, but I'm not in a cheerful enough mood to give the good things.

@Aly-DN might be able to give the good parts of this game.

36 minutes ago, Cheesecake-DN said:

I'll be straight with you. It has significantly fewer people than Gameforge. The next patches aren't looking too good, if word out of EU is accurate. We have no word on when we're getting those next patches. We've had a main PvP instance closed for three months or so(?) because of a bug that NC-Korea apparently can't fix, a bug that led to a huge banwave a few days ago. You're going to have to spend a lot of time or money to catch up. NC-West hasn't been subtle with its latest cashgrab, which is blatant p2w. The dependence on RNG to enchant your gear/skills/etc in this game can be brutal.

It is a pretty game, especially for a game that came out in, like, 2008 in Korea, but it's really not in good shape. We have one community manager, and he works primarily on another NCsoft game, Blade and Soul. The RL money store is kind of pitiful compared to other regions. There's a whole host of other reasons to play or not play, but I'm not in a cheerful enough mood to give the good things.

@Aly-DN might be able to give the good parts of this game.

I will download here and check out, to be really honest, expections are low. It's sad to hear that AION is in a bad shape, it's really an unique game, with 2 factions, flying/wings, housing and so.

Does AION have a quenue system for dungeons? I heard if you get end level on Gameforge, you will get a legendary set, at least for the new class

Thank you

The Gameforge servers are more populated than ours and they have more staff dedicated to Aion. So if you are an EU person, I would play there.

Aion is a player friendly game if you put yourself out there and find good people to play with. If you are shy and just expect people to come find you, that isn't going to happen. There are a fair amount of trolls who will mock players that ask questions in game, but you can usually find a straight forward answer to questions here on the forums. There are several of us who haunt this place, have a fair bit of knowledge and are willing to help out as much as we can.

Aion is now 100% pay2win. And that's on all servers in all regions. Aion is developed for the Korean audience. Until recently, Aion was a sub game in Korea. So the free to play models (like outs!) were made taking a game that was a sub and changing things a bit to make them free. Now that Korea has gone to a free to play game, the game has become a system of micro-transactions and just about everything can be purchased. Since the game is pretty gear dependent, the increasing pay2win aspects of the game have made the gear disparity huge. In future patches (that we have seen since Korea gets patches 6+ months before we get them) that is only made worse by some very poor decisions on the part of the developers. 

Aion is the red-headed step child of NCWest. If you want to play an NCWest game that they care about, play Blade & Soul. If you don't mind shaking your head in frustration over out-of-date rewards and such, play Aion.

Aion is pretty. The character creation is top-notch. Leveling has been streamlined and is easy peasy. Everything you need to level (gear, consumables, etc.) is given as quest rewards. And the game is free to play. You can do every quest and wear every armor and do every instance without paying a dime. So the only thing you lose by trying it is your time.

Aion doesn't have a dungeon queue system like WoW. You make groups by putting them into a Looking For Group channel in chat.

Gameforge did give a legendary PvE set for their vandals (the new class.. called painters in EU). We didn't get that here. Though tbh, you don't really need it. 

Archived