Subscription required after the first hour?

Murderhobo

So, I recently let my subscription lapse thinking it wouldn't matter.  I am not doing dredge with a level 50 character, or really interested in getting crafting supplies.  I am leveling up a new character slowly so I can enjoy the game at a slow pace.  However, today I learned you can no longer pick up quest items with out a subscription.  The game is now playable for an hour a day for f2p players.  It is kind of sad as I have watched Aion go from free to play to okay now you pay for green items and up to now you pay to pick up anything that the game requires to play it.  How do you bring in new players that have to pay to complete quests?  You don't.  The player base that is now playing is probably subscription players.  There's nothing wrong with that, but when you are competing with all the other PC games online forcing your players to pay to do basic quests isn't going to bring in new players.  I do wonder how many subscribed players will continue to pay as the player base continues to shrink?  So what are your opinions?  

Does the sub model make the game play any better?  Do you get special items?  The reason most companies will move from a sub model to f2p is because there is not enough people subbing.  The f2p model is to bring in new players, but if the new players get blocked from basic quests by a pay wall they will more than likely leave and not come back.  Now you might think that is fine we don't need people here that don't want to play, but how many people have actually come back?  The server merged and the last time I heard a head count (a few months ago) it was 64, on a Saturday.  This is a problem because the game isn't designed for 64 players but hundreds or even thousands of players.  This is also why you see messages from players offering 50 mil for Kromede's Spear.  The rng (random number generator)  isn't set up for 64 people, it needs hundreds to complete the sequence to get the rarer items to drop.  Not only that but everyone has been complaining that the drop rates aren't working right.  A small number of players can't trigger the drops.  Another thing to take into consideration is that four months of saved up subscription fees can buy Elden Ring a new game with a new storyline and gaming experience.  Don't get me wrong I like Aion, but if the player pool keeps shrinking eventually the company will take it down.  

F2p and a sub model has different expendations for the players and what they want for a game with f2p having a p2w shop while the sub model u pay a monthly fee with maybe on only skins in the shop its not about getting special items it's about what playstyle you want.

With 3.0 aion there was a boost of players but it quickly dropped again 

O.o kroms spear was only that price at the start of the sever, most of the gear that comes from tl and dc being reduced majorly in lr pice. also with ftp the game will become increasingly p2w more so than it is, I agree that the 1-10 zone needs to be free to alow more players to join.

With the drop rate it needs to be localized to the na region since the drop rate is for 10k players  and bots not the smaller player base that na has.

With eldern ring, aion is a 12 year old game with people come back to relive it most of us are in our late 20s to mid 30s so we have the disposal income to play both.

I think that's really a shame, as many players i can't afford a monthly fee, call me poor.

the no-drop option for trial acc is such a ridiculous thing.

the problem is they don't really give a ....,

i am not the only who thinks they created the classic server just due to all the requests player did. but they don't really want us to join there, they hope ppl get sick and leave so they can close the game and flee away with the money bag.

NC-ancer games releases always sux :D 

The current model seems ok, except when they introduced the blocking of picking up white items when Siel's Aura has expired, it also stops you from picking up quest items, so you might as well log off. eg. If you enter Kromede's Trail, you can get as far as the Petrahulk gate keeper, then you can't pick up the key to continue which seems daft to me. Why let people enter the instance at all if they can't complete it?

• 2 weeks later...

Tron you are 100% correct, free gets them to the door, but when the free runs out and the game basically locks down to being unplayable customers will NOT spend money on it.  The product is ten years old and glitchy as f (I always know when an Ely is in my area as I get a great big lag for a few seconds games shouldn't have a tell like that).  Oh and now you can't even farm kinah now so what is there to entice?  Here is another tid bit for you I used to buy the monthly subscription, but I stopped to funnel the money into a different hobby.  Now that the game is unplayable (can't farm anything at all)  there is no point in playing it outside my one hour a week.  Also the later comments confirm what I said earlier the game is stagnate, the same players playing maybe different characters, but the numbers are not going up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/4/2022 at 19:02, Tron said:

Quiero decir, cuando fui a la escuela de negocios, me explicaron que usas las cosas gratis para atraer a la gente y luego hacer que gasten dinero... ¿qué te enseñó el tuyo?

¿Y como los atraes luego de apenas una hora? No dan ni la oportunidad de que los nuevos jugadores le tomen gusto al juego. No necesitas ir a una escuela de negocios para saber que primero hay que enganchar a la gente. Ahora, en lo personal, por pura nostalgia volvi a jugarlo. Tengo dinero suficiente para pagar mi suscripción y planeaba pagar mensualmente la de un grupo de 12, que jugaran lo suficiente. Pero ni eso es posible. He probado en todos los buscadores y me sale en todos error 108. probe en computadores ajenos y el mismo error. Aparentemente mi pequeño país no puede acceder.  No hay soporte tecnico que resuelva. He tenido que comprar codigos de 3 dias en eBay a precio de un mes. Aun estoy buscando solución, pero si no resuelvo pronto volvere a despedirme del juego.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:48 AM, Mhalicia said:

¿Y como los atraes luego de apenas una hora? No dan ni la oportunidad de que los nuevos jugadores le tomen gusto al juego. No necesitas ir a una escuela de negocios para saber que primero hay que enganchar a la gente. Ahora, en lo personal, por pura nostalgia volvi a jugarlo. Tengo dinero suficiente para pagar mi suscripción y planeaba pagar mensualmente la de un grupo de 12, que jugaran lo suficiente. Pero ni eso es posible. He probado en todos los buscadores y me sale en todos error 108. probe en computadores ajenos y el mismo error. Aparentemente mi pequeño país no puede acceder.  No hay soporte tecnico que resuelva. He tenido que comprar codigos de 3 dias en eBay a precio de un mes. Aun estoy buscando solución, pero si no resuelvo pronto volvere a despedirme del juego.

My Spanish is bad so I will use English. The payment error you are getting is well known change browsers and it should work. Someone also suggested turn off adbock but I have never tried it.    Free players don't do much for NCsoft other than population count, I understand it is a bad system but C.R.E.A.M ~  WuTamg.    Hope the browser trick helps

7 hours ago, 19s6388B said:

i just returned after a few years away. i cant progress unless i sub..thats not really ftp.  cant find out where all my old chars are. Support is useless..cant pick up the items i need to finish quests..wtf?

Old chars? Maybe you downloaded the Classic version instead of Retail? This is the classic portion of tbe forums btw. Scroll down for retail and check if you have downloaded the correct version of the game.