Forums

PLAGIARISM?? OF AION???

Esialeth-KT

I recently came across this book called The Never Tilting World and it literally has the exact same premise as AION. For those who don't want to click the link, here's the summary—I've bolded the similarities:

Generations of twin goddesses have long ruled Aeon. But seventeen years ago, one sister’s betrayal defied an ancient prophecy and split their world in two. The planet ceased to spin, and a Great Abyss now divides two realms: one cloaked in perpetual night, the other scorched by an unrelenting sun. 

While one sister rules Aranth—a frozen city surrounded by a storm-wracked sea —her twin inhabits the sand-locked Golden City. Each goddess has raised a daughter, and each keeps her own secrets about her sister’s betrayal. 

But when shadowy forces begin to call their daughters, Odessa and Haidee, back to the site of the Breaking, the two young goddesses —along with a powerful healer from Aranth, and a mouthy desert scavenger —set out on separate journeys across treacherous wastelands, desperate to heal their broken world. No matter the sacrifice it demands. 

Given AION's rich lore, and the fact that it likely containts hundreds of books' worth of text, this feels like a really cheapening knockoff. Plus, isn't this degree of similarity literally illegal??? I mean, hello??? AION has been out since 2009. How come none of the publishers noticed this?

On 19/7/2019 at 5:43 AM, Esialeth-KT said:

I recently came across this book called The Never Tilting World and it literally has the exact same premise as AION. For those who don't want to click the link, here's the summary—I've bolded the similarities:

Given AION's rich lore, and the fact that it likely containts hundreds of books' worth of text, this feels like a really cheapening knockoff. Plus, isn't this degree of similarity literally illegal??? I mean, hello??? AION has been out since 2009. How come none of the publishers noticed this?

Aion is also plagiarism of many ancient religions and myths as well?

Heck people even praise Tolkien for Lord of the Rings when EVERYTHING on those books is a re-write of the old Greek, Egyptians, Norse, Pagan and Christian religions. Everything sounds like something, so you cannot "copy" something that is a collection of copies, unless they do a 1:1 ratio copy and copy even names.

yeah we all know that Aion uses names from mythology, but it definitely does whatever it wants from there. Aside from etymology, there's pretty much no correlation. And those names are SO old that they're public domain. Aion has not plagiarised anything.

This book, however, literally copies Aion's main story. Like, the whole premise. The thing that makes its universe unique. I pasted the summary right there. It's literally exactly the same as Aion. Even adaptations of preexisting myths are more different than this supposedly unrelated book is to Aion. And the worst part is that they're trying to frame it as something completely new just by halfheartedly changing the names.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I was reading this thread and reminded me of something. The game Shaiya came out roughly in 2006, the lore revolved about a goddess named Etain that created a bunch of races (dragon race included), in a world called Teos. Because she wanted to get rid one of the race, she was killed and she was split in two (sounds familiar yet?).

Then half of them wanted to revere this cute innocent goddess while the others wanted to revere this sexy and busty one.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived