Forums

Unpopular opinion: I dislike anime

Arhangelos

I never understood the fuss, like people who self identify as "anime fans" do they like anime even if it is bad, as long as characters are drawn with huge eyes and girls have loli dresses? Are they are going to like it just because it falls into the category?

I've been in university, I had to endure hours of anime torture because all my university friends got hooked on them. I couldn't stand the repetitiveness of the plots, the slow progress, the over-talking of the situation, like when some characters are in combat, but instead of fighting, they stand immobile and one of them talks about how he did this and that, and how he won and over explain everything as if we are retarded.

Every character seemed to be the same scenario. Some badass girl who is always angry and has the most power than everyone, but somehow falls behind the protagonist who is goofy and has little power because he hasn't managed to unleash it all yet because he is like the chosen one (duh), and the side kick who is also witty and totally powerless and useless, the oblivious girl who is always smiling and has no reason to exist plot-wise, the fact that every protagonist has to be 10~12 years old and they always talk about love affairs (like do children in elementary school really have such a sexual life in Japan?). The fact that everything must have magical powers and fly or throw bolts of fire, or jump as high as a sky scrappers etc.

There were a few animes that I enjoyed just for the plot and how witty they were, like Kabamaru, Death Note (with the retarded ending), Full Metal Alchemist (I never saw season 2). I enjoyed a little bit Dragon Ball in the first seasons because it was playing on TV and I was a kid and I kinda found it amusing to a degree. I liked some anime movies like Lensman, Saber Rider (for the ethics), Vampire Hunter D and many more, because they were movies and didn't bore me to death with 500+ episodes. Some Gibli movies (not all of them) because they did have some plot and a scenario and they seemed to have paid attention to details and were far better drawn than most anime series.

I do not remember every anime I had to endure for a few episodes, but I sure dislike Naruto (utterly boring), One Piece (if anime was animal it would have been sloth), Pokemon/Digimon/Whatevermon (seriously).

The worst part is the fanbase, like those K-pop fans who are preaching of acceptance and love and dare you say you do not like K-pop and they wish you and your family cancer and gangrene and a slow death. Sure thing I have the right to dislike anime and anime fans have the right to dislike me, but it is super annoying when anime fan friends of mine are dedicating their lives into either bashing us for not liking or totally try to indoctrinate us into liking them even by force. Or the fact they will bring up weird Japanese words or anime characters into irrelevant talk.

~~

The reason the title says "I dislike anime" although I did enjoy some of it, is because even if the plot is good, I can't see seriously any plot when ti s drawn with the anime style. Those big dolly eyes on everyone, a ton of weird hairstyles, weird hair colours etc. Every anime that I liked, would have been more pleasurable if it was done with western animation, like Silver Hawks, or He-man or other similar type of cartoons that were not all flowers and hearts but had fights and wars etc.

I've liked Sailor Moon (Crystal, and the S and Stars seasons in 90s version), Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero, Assassination Classroom, and a few others. Really not a big anime fan, either, but I don't mind the art style too much.

I was cool with Death Note until that one thing happened with my favorite character (I hadn't read the manga yet), and then I was angry for the rest of the show.

But, yeah, I don't like anime enough to join the anime club at school, even though they do cosplay and stuff, too, and I make costumes. I'm a weeb, but not a big enough weeb.

2 hours ago, Cheesecake-DN said:

I've liked Sailor Moon (Crystal, and the S and Stars seasons in 90s version), Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero, Assassination Classroom, and a few others. Really not a big anime fan, either, but I don't mind the art style too much.

I was cool with Death Note until that one thing happened with my favorite character (I hadn't read the manga yet), and then I was angry for the rest of the show.

But, yeah, I don't like anime enough to join the anime club at school, even though they do cosplay and stuff, too, and I make costumes. I'm a weeb, but not a big enough weeb.

Sailro Moon was playing also along with Dragon ball on TV when I was in elementary, so I watched that too. I mean I would wake up at 7 in the morning at weekends to watch all the cartoon/anime series for the next 5 hours. I didn't mind Sailor Moon either.

My very first soap opera was Candy Candy, that nyerk kept falling in love with someone and he would then either die or vanish!

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/12/2019 at 3:17 PM, Arhangelos-KT said:

I never understood the fuss, like people who self identify as "anime fans" do they like anime even if it is bad, as long as characters are drawn with huge eyes and girls have loli dresses? hearts but had fights and wars etc.

As a Mega Anime Fan, i can say... Yes! as long as they have HUGE ''eyes'' we will like it anyways!

Archived